Mike \Piedmont\

Default The Practical Bar B Q'r

Hey Folks,

I've been adding to my msn group. if you are interested, go to the
ms-word documents sections. there you'll find the book on brining i
compiled from AFB going back as far as google would take me.

It is in 2 sections, the first is the cover and table of contents and
the second is the contents. i had fun doing it, adding little cartoons
along the way. i hope someone can benefit from it. It is in ms-word format.

It comprises articles explaining all the whys and wherefores of brining
plus a zillion recipes for brining by the many contributors to AFB. all
with due credit given to contributors.

i also added a bunch of recipes that cover bbq, side dishes, sausages,
chili, burgoos, chit'lins, sauces, etc. most of them i have tried and
enjoyed. these are all in text format so i assume most anyone should be
able to download them right into your word processor if you wish.

The Practical Bar B Q'r
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msnw

Regards, Mike (Piedmont)
Duwop

"Mike "Piedmont"" > wrote in message
> Hey Folks,
>
> I've been adding to my msn group. if you are interested, go to the
> ms-word documents sections. there you'll find the book on brining i
> compiled from AFB going back as far as google would take me.

Sounds like a great bit of work there! Guess you wouldn't consider posting
it here in txt format.

"Duwop" > wrote:
> "Mike "Piedmont"" > wrote in message
> > Hey Folks,
> >
> > I've been adding to my msn group. if you are interested, go to the
> > ms-word documents sections. there you'll find the book on brining i
> > compiled from AFB going back as far as google would take me.
> >

> Sounds like a great bit of work there! Guess you wouldn't consider
> posting it here in txt format.

I don't have MS Word, either, Mike.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Mike \Piedmont\

Duwop wrote:
> "Mike "Piedmont"" > wrote in message
>> Hey Folks,
>>
>> I've been adding to my msn group. if you are interested, go to the
>> ms-word documents sections. there you'll find the book on brining i
>> compiled from AFB going back as far as google would take me.
>>

> Sounds like a great bit of work there! Guess you wouldn't consider posting
> it here in txt format.

I could post it by changing it to text format, but the document would
lose all of it's formatting. It is downloadable from the site by simply
opening it, it should open in your word processor where you can save it
and/or print it out.

If for some reason you cannot do that, I would be happy to e-mail to you
or anyone else.

Regards,

Mike (Piedont)
Reg

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5e24c87-8732-4
>>8d5-8689-ab826e7b8fdf&DisplayLang=en>

> Thanks, Reg. They say it won't work with MS Win98SE, so I may hafta come
> out of my cave and enter the Anno Domini world!

Ah, the bastids. Yet another way to "encourage" you to upgrade.
Personally I'm holding on at Win 2000 and may never go to
XP at all. I'm seriously considering going 100% linux.

Bill

In article >,
says...

wrote:

> > Reg > wrote:
> >>Nick, there's a free MS word reader available. HTH.
> >>
> >><
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5e24c87-8732-4
> >>8d5-8689-ab826e7b8fdf&DisplayLang=en>

> > Thanks, Reg. They say it won't work with MS Win98SE, so I may hafta come
> > out of my cave and enter the Anno Domini world!

> Ah, the bastids. Yet another way to "encourage" you to upgrade.
> Personally I'm holding on at Win 2000 and may never go to
> XP at all. I'm seriously considering going 100% linux.

Open Office 1.1 reads Word docs, installs on win98 on up, and is free.

http://download.openoffice.org/index.html

Bill
Reg

Bill wrote:

> Open Office 1.1 reads Word docs, installs on win98 on up, and is free.
>
> http://download.openoffice.org/index.html

Open office is one of the best reasons I know to abandon
Microsoft completely in favor of better operating systems. My only
complaint is that their developers conference is being held in
Slovenia this year. One would think they could do better.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...ID=95e24c87-87

> > > Thanks, Reg. They say it won't work with MS Win98SE, so I may hafta
> > > come out of my cave and enter the Anno Domini world!

> > Ah, the bastids. Yet another way to "encourage" you to upgrade.
> > Personally I'm holding on at Win 2000 and may never go to
> > XP at all. I'm seriously considering going 100% linux.
> >

> Open Office 1.1 reads Word docs, installs on win98 on up, and is free.
>
> http://download.openoffice.org/index.html

thanks, Bill. I'll check it tomorrow. Right now, I've gotta hit the hay!

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Graeme....in Shirakawa

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:46:41 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>Bill wrote:
>
>> Open Office 1.1 reads Word docs, installs on win98 on up, and is free.
>>
>> http://download.openoffice.org/index.html

>Open office is one of the best reasons I know to abandon
>Microsoft completely in favor of better operating systems. My only
>complaint is that their developers conference is being held in
>Slovenia this year. One would think they could do better.

Don't knock Slovenia too much, Reg. They do have some damned good
beers and they are only 50 cents a pint.

The food is rank bad though

Graeme
John O

> > Open Office 1.1 reads Word docs, installs on win98 on up, and is free.
> >
> > http://download.openoffice.org/index.html

> Open office is one of the best reasons I know to abandon
> Microsoft completely in favor of better operating systems. My only
> complaint is that their developers conference is being held in
> Slovenia this year. One would think they could do better.

It's an outstanding option so long as one doesn't need the advanced Office
features, or if you work with complicated spreadsheets (it's sloooowww).
Call it "Office Lite" and if it does what you need, it's a wonderful thing.

-John O
-MS Office Power User

Duwop

"T. L. Hicks" > wrote in message

I guess I was being too subtle. IMO drawing eyeballs and attention from this
forum to a personal one is counterproductive to this group and was trying to
get him to share instead of doing what he's doin' which is trying to draw
traffic to his group for some reason.

I think Piedmont (Mike?) understood that. :-D

DTD

Reg

Duwop wrote:

> "T. L. Hicks" > wrote in message
>
> I guess I was being too subtle. IMO drawing eyeballs and attention from this
> forum to a personal one is counterproductive to this group and was trying to
> get him to share instead of doing what he's doin' which is trying to draw
> traffic to his group for some reason.
>
> I think Piedmont (Mike?) understood that. :-D

I don't have a problem with Mike pointing out his website, forum,
or anything else. I don't think it'll have a detrimental effect
on this group either.

I think he'd be better off posting documents in a better format,
though. If you're going to run something from the web you'll
have a better chance if what you're posting is at least minimally
web friendly, which MS word definitely is not. Better to use
something like xhtml. Almost any WYSIWYG html tool can be setup
to generate well formed xhtml.

Cam

Mike "Piedmont" wrote:
> Hey Folks,
>
> I've been adding to my msn group.

snip

> http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msnw
>
> Regards, Mike (Piedmont)

I'm reluctant to read any web page that requires me to sign up.

Cam

Brick

On 20-Sep-2005, "John O" > wrote:

> > > Open Office 1.1 reads Word docs, installs on win98 on up, and is free.
> > >
> > > http://download.openoffice.org/index.html

> > Open office is one of the best reasons I know to abandon
> > Microsoft completely in favor of better operating systems. My only
> > complaint is that their developers conference is being held in
> > Slovenia this year. One would think they could do better.
> >

> It's an outstanding option so long as one doesn't need the advanced Office
> features, or if you work with complicated spreadsheets (it's sloooowww).
> Call it "Office Lite" and if it does what you need, it's a wonderful thing.
>
> -John O
> -MS Office Power User

For $10 you can buy Corel WordPerfect 12 with Quattro Pro 12 and Presentations 12.
Not only do these tools suck up the MS formats, Quattro Pro provides graph capability
built into the spreadsheet program. They'll sell you MS Word 2002 for $39.99. I have
the $10 Corel Office Suite and it works fine on my Swindoze 98SE.

http://www.softwareoutlet.com/index.php?loc=business
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Reg

Mike "Piedmont" wrote:

> Reg,
>
> Not being web intelligent, (understatement (grin))I used msn groups to
> create for me, what normally would be a personal website. I don't know
> how to create well constructed web sites with functions like what I can
> get and do easily using msn groups. Plus I used what I have, which is
> ms-word and don't know how to make a xhtml, whatever that is! Sounds
> Mexican to me! (LOL)
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike (piedmont)

No problem, Mike. I just sent you my email address. If you need any
help navigating the technical stuff let me know. I think your group
is a great thing and I'd be happy to help if I can.

Mike \Piedmont\

Duwop wrote:
> "T. L. Hicks" > wrote in message
>

> I guess I was being too subtle. IMO drawing eyeballs and attention from this
> forum to a personal one is counterproductive to this group and was trying to
> get him to share instead of doing what he's doin' which is trying to draw
> traffic to his group for some reason.
>
> I think Piedmont (Mike?) understood that. :-D
>
> DTD

To Duwop,

No, I didn't , get that. As you say, "drawing traffic to his group" as
if it is a bad thing. I get no money, at all, for anyone to be on my
group, nor does anyone one else get money for perusing my group. I have
done my group strictly for the enjoyment of myself and to share my
enjoyment of Q, this is for me, my personal website.

The brine book cannot be sent here as it contains pictures and
formatting that would not be able to show here. Plus would take up a
large amount of bandwidth. To show how selfish I am is why I offered to
take my personal time to email to you or anyone else that couldn't or
didn't want to go to my group?

Than I wasted more time by emailing you directly to offer to send it to
you in another format of your choice. Yea boy, I sure must have some
ulterior motive for "drawing attention" to a free msn-group that
compiles a large amount of bbq links, recipes, and how to build your
cooker down loadable documents, free to anyone. You sure got me pegged!

Warmest Regards,

Mike (piedmont)
Mike \Piedmont\

Reg wrote:
> Duwop wrote:
>
>> "T. L. Hicks" > wrote in message
>>
>> I guess I was being too subtle. IMO drawing eyeballs and attention
>> from this
>> forum to a personal one is counterproductive to this group and was
>> trying to
>> get him to share instead of doing what he's doin' which is trying to draw
>> traffic to his group for some reason.
>>
>> I think Piedmont (Mike?) understood that. :-D

> I don't have a problem with Mike pointing out his website, forum,
> or anything else. I don't think it'll have a detrimental effect
> on this group either.
>
> I think he'd be better off posting documents in a better format,
> though. If you're going to run something from the web you'll
> have a better chance if what you're posting is at least minimally
> web friendly, which MS word definitely is not. Better to use
> something like xhtml. Almost any WYSIWYG html tool can be setup
> to generate well formed xhtml.

Reg,

Not being web intelligent, (understatement (grin))I used msn groups to
create for me, what normally would be a personal website. I don't know
how to create well constructed web sites with functions like what I can
get and do easily using msn groups. Plus I used what I have, which is
ms-word and don't know how to make a xhtml, whatever that is! Sounds
Mexican to me! (LOL)

Regards,

Mike (piedmont)

Mike \Piedmont\

Cam wrote:
> Mike "Piedmont" wrote:
>> Hey Folks,
>>
>> I've been adding to my msn group.

> snip
>
>> http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr/_whatsnew.msnw
>>
>> Regards, Mike (Piedmont)

> I'm reluctant to read any web page that requires me to sign up.
>
> Cam

Cam,

Thats what MSN requires, i assume that they gather info as well as yahoo
or google too. You can sign up by getting an ms passport or msn hotmail
account and you can use a bogus email address to give them that you
created in yahoo to keep from giving them too much personal info, shoot
say make up stuff!

Regards, Mike (Piedmont)
Larry

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:24:29 -0700, "Duwop" >
wrote:

>"T. L. Hicks" > wrote in message
>

>I guess I was being too subtle. IMO drawing eyeballs and attention from this
>forum to a personal one is counterproductive to this group and was trying to
>get him to share instead of doing what he's doin' which is trying to draw
>traffic to his group for some reason.
>
>I think Piedmont (Mike?) understood that. :-D
>
>DTD

This may be a 'tight' group, but it is not the only one. I don't see
how Piedmont's actions are counterproductive.

I believe that Mike has mentioned in the past that his ISP does not
include the bianary groups. Therefore, if I 'member correctly) he
cannot post to ABF.

IMHO, Mike does 'share' in his own way. I hope you do not expect him
to be your clone.

Larry
Bill

In article >, johno@!
noSPAM!heathkit.com says...

> > > Open Office 1.1 reads Word docs, installs on win98 on up, and is free.
> > >
> > > http://download.openoffice.org/index.html

> > Open office is one of the best reasons I know to abandon
> > Microsoft completely in favor of better operating systems. My only
> > complaint is that their developers conference is being held in
> > Slovenia this year. One would think they could do better.
> >

> It's an outstanding option so long as one doesn't need the advanced Office
> features, or if you work with complicated spreadsheets (it's sloooowww).
> Call it "Office Lite" and if it does what you need, it's a wonderful thing.
>
> -John O
> -MS Office Power User

I think we were talking about just being able to read a Word doc.

Bill < who'd eat boiled ribs slathered in liquid smoke before he'd
install MS Office on his machine.> (sfsf)
Duwop

"Mike "Piedmont"" > wrote in message
> Duwop wrote:
> > "T. L. Hicks" > wrote in message
> >

> > I guess I was being too subtle. IMO drawing eyeballs and attention from

this
> > forum to a personal one is counterproductive to this group and was

trying to
> > get him to share instead of doing what he's doin' which is trying to

draw
> > traffic to his group for some reason.
> >
> > I think Piedmont (Mike?) understood that. :-D
> >
> > DTD

> To Duwop,
>
> No, I didn't , get that. As you say, "drawing traffic to his group" as
> if it is a bad thing. I get no money, at all, for anyone to be on my
> group, nor does anyone one else get money for perusing my group. I have
> done my group strictly for the enjoyment of myself and to share my
> enjoyment of Q, this is for me, my personal website.
>
> The brine book cannot be sent here as it contains pictures and
> formatting that would not be able to show here. Plus would take up a
> large amount of bandwidth. To show how selfish I am is why I offered to
> take my personal time to email to you or anyone else that couldn't or
> didn't want to go to my group?
>
> Than I wasted more time by emailing you directly to offer to send it to
> you in another format of your choice. Yea boy, I sure must have some
> ulterior motive for "drawing attention" to a free msn-group that
> compiles a large amount of bbq links, recipes, and how to build your
> cooker down loadable documents, free to anyone. You sure got me pegged!
>
> Warmest Regards,
>
> Mike (piedmont)

Mike, did I get on you THAT badly? I thought I made a mild point as these
things go. Sorry 'bout that, but you know there's good stuff you're keeping
off here, so stop playing so dang injured.

Graeme....in Shirakawa

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:52:40 -0500, "Mike \"Piedmont\""
> wrote:

>Duwop wrote:

>Plonk!

Mike, you may be a little hasty with your plonk.

IMO, Dale has been offering good, solid advice to this group well
before I started.

He has a lot, and has offered, a good wealth of knowledge to this
group.

You do the same, other than post links to your site.

Graeme

Mike \Piedmont\

Duwop wrote:
> "Mike "Piedmont"" > wrote in message
>> Duwop wrote:
>>> "T. L. Hicks" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> I guess I was being too subtle. IMO drawing eyeballs and attention from

> this
>>> forum to a personal one is counterproductive to this group and was

> trying to
>>> get him to share instead of doing what he's doin' which is trying to

> draw
>>> traffic to his group for some reason.
>>>
>>> I think Piedmont (Mike?) understood that. :-D
>>>
>>> DTD

>> To Duwop,
>>
>> No, I didn't , get that. As you say, "drawing traffic to his group" as
>> if it is a bad thing. I get no money, at all, for anyone to be on my
>> group, nor does anyone one else get money for perusing my group. I have
>> done my group strictly for the enjoyment of myself and to share my
>> enjoyment of Q, this is for me, my personal website.
>>
>> The brine book cannot be sent here as it contains pictures and
>> formatting that would not be able to show here. Plus would take up a
>> large amount of bandwidth. To show how selfish I am is why I offered to
>> take my personal time to email to you or anyone else that couldn't or
>> didn't want to go to my group?
>>
>> Than I wasted more time by emailing you directly to offer to send it to
>> you in another format of your choice. Yea boy, I sure must have some
>> ulterior motive for "drawing attention" to a free msn-group that
>> compiles a large amount of bbq links, recipes, and how to build your
>> cooker down loadable documents, free to anyone. You sure got me pegged!
>>
>> Warmest Regards,
>>
>> Mike (piedmont)

> Mike, did I get on you THAT badly? I thought I made a mild point as these
> things go. Sorry 'bout that, but you know there's good stuff you're keeping
> off here, so stop playing so dang injured.

Plonk!
Denny Wheeler

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:07:14 -0500, "Mike \"Piedmont\""
> wrote:

>Duwop wrote:
>> "Mike "Piedmont"" > wrote in message
>>> Hey Folks,
>>>
>>> I've been adding to my msn group. if you are interested, go to the
>>> ms-word documents sections. there you'll find the book on brining i
>>> compiled from AFB going back as far as google would take me.
>>>

>> Sounds like a great bit of work there! Guess you wouldn't consider posting
>> it here in txt format.

>I could post it by changing it to text format, but the document would
>lose all of it's formatting. It is downloadable from the site by simply
>opening it, it should open in your word processor where you can save it
>and/or print it out.

If it's on a website, why in Bob's name isn't it in html?

--
-denny-

"I don't like it when a whole state starts
acting like a marital aid."
"John R. Campbell" in a Usenet post.
Mike \Piedmont\

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:07:14 -0500, "Mike \"Piedmont\""
> > wrote:
>
>> Duwop wrote:

>>> Sounds like a great bit of work there! Guess you wouldn't consider posting
>>> it here in txt format.

>> I could post it by changing it to text format, but the document would
>> lose all of it's formatting. It is downloadable from the site by simply
>> opening it, it should open in your word processor where you can save it
>> and/or print it out.

> If it's on a website, why in Bob's name isn't it in html?

It's not a website, it s a MSN Group.
Mike
Mike \Piedmont\

Graeme....in Shirakawa  wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:52:40 -0500, "Mike \"Piedmont\""
> > wrote:
>
>> Duwop wrote:

>> Plonk!

> Mike, you may be a little hasty with your plonk.
>
> IMO, Dale has been offering good, solid advice to this group well
> before I started.
>
> He has a lot, and has offered, a good wealth of knowledge to this
> group.
>
> You do the same, other than post links to your site.
>
> Graeme

Just giving him a time out (grin) I'll un-plonk him in a few weeks if he
behaves himself.
Mike
Mike \Piedmont\

Reg wrote:
> Mike "Piedmont" wrote:
>
>> Reg,
>>
>> Not being web intelligent, (understatement (grin))I used msn groups to
>> create for me, what normally would be a personal website. I don't know
>> how to create well constructed web sites with functions like what I
>> can get and do easily using msn groups. Plus I used what I have, which
>> is ms-word and don't know how to make a xhtml, whatever that is!
>> Sounds Mexican to me! (LOL)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mike (piedmont)

> No problem, Mike. I just sent you my email address. If you need any
> help navigating the technical stuff let me know. I think your group
> is a great thing and I'd be happy to help if I can.

I have to be careful what I place on the group as there is a limit.
Which is why I went through and changed all my recipes to text instead
of ms-word
format to save space. I splurged when I uploaded the two scanned papers
showing how to build 55 gallon cookers, which included drawings.
Mike

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:58:29 -0500, "Mike \"Piedmont\""
> wrote:

>Denny Wheeler wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:07:14 -0500, "Mike \"Piedmont\""
>> > wrote:

>>> I could post it by changing it to text format, but the document would
>>> lose all of it's formatting. It is downloadable from the site by simply
>>> opening it, it should open in your word processor where you can save it
>>> and/or print it out.

>> If it's on a website, why in Bob's name isn't it in html?
>>

>It's not a website, it s a MSN Group.

They're still webbages. And webbages should contain HTML.

Denny Wheeler

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:58:29 -0500, "Mike \"Piedmont\""
> wrote:

>>> I could post it by changing it to text format, but the document would
>>> lose all of it's formatting. It is downloadable from the site by simply
>>> opening it, it should open in your word processor where you can save it
>>> and/or print it out.

>> If it's on a website, why in Bob's name isn't it in html?
>>

>It's not a website, it s a MSN Group.

You get there via URL, right? http://www (something)
That's a website.

However, from what you said in another response this thread, you don't
know how to do HTML. That's fine. (neither does MS Word--but at
least you know you don't know how)

--
-denny-

"I don't like it when a whole state starts
acting like a marital aid."
"John R. Campbell" in a Usenet post.
cl

Graeme....in, Shirakawa  wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:52:40 -0500, "Mike \"Piedmont\""
> > wrote:
>
> >Duwop wrote:

> >Plonk!

> Mike, you may be a little hasty with your plonk.
>
> IMO, Dale has been offering good, solid advice to this group well
> before I started.
>
> He has a lot, and has offered, a good wealth of knowledge to this
> group.
>
> You do the same, other than post links to your site.
>
> Graeme

Graemer, you need to plonk off. You bunch of plonking plonkers. I
especially like the announcent of plonking as if to entice a mutual
plonk. It is even worse that you talk that *** ass language before
announcing your plonk. If it was so *** and racist, I tell you to plonk
my plonk you plonking plonker plonk.
Graeme....in Shirakawa

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 03:16:35 GMT, "TFMスョ" <Heh heh @ that was cool.org>
wrote:

>> Graemer, you need to plonk off. You bunch of plonking plonkers. I
>> especially like the announcent of plonking as if to entice a mutual
>> plonk. It is even worse that you talk that *** ass language before
>> announcing your plonk. If it was so *** and racist, I tell you to plonk
>> my plonk you plonking plonker plonk.

>Well you raggedy ass, rope sucking, Goddamn, mother ****ing sonofabitch!
>
>Graeme is a friend of mine and he's a damn lot more civil than I am.
>
>You want him to cuss you or do you want me to?
>
>(Pick me)
>

>TFM?

Cheers, Fats. I'll buy you another Ardbeg when we meet.

I wouldn't worry too much about what CLitoris rants. He and I treat
each other with about the same respect.

I might **** his daughter one day though, just so he can hate me that
little bit more.

Graeme

kilikini

<Graeme....in Shirakawa@> wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 03:16:35 GMT, "TFM?" <Heh heh @ that was cool.org>
> wrote:
>
> >> Graemer, you need to plonk off. You bunch of plonking plonkers. I
> >> especially like the announcent of plonking as if to entice a mutual
> >> plonk. It is even worse that you talk that *** ass language before
> >> announcing your plonk. If it was so *** and racist, I tell you to plonk
> >> my plonk you plonking plonker plonk.

> >Well you raggedy ass, rope sucking, Goddamn, mother ****ing sonofabitch!
> >
> >Graeme is a friend of mine and he's a damn lot more civil than I am.
> >
> >You want him to cuss you or do you want me to?
> >
> >(Pick me)
> >

> >TFM?
> >

> Cheers, Fats. I'll buy you another Ardbeg when we meet.
>
> I wouldn't worry too much about what CLitoris rants. He and I treat
> each other with about the same respect.
>
> I might **** his daughter one day though, just so he can hate me that
> little bit more.
>
> Graeme

Don't mince words much, do you buddy? LOL. Gosh, either you have to get to
the states or I'm flying to London. I'll pass on the Ardbeg, but I'll take
you up on a Cider!

kili