hob

Default Practical question temperature

"RoR" > wrote in message
> I haven't a thermometer, yet, that measures 110 degrees. While trying to

make bread I
> needed the liquid to be 110 to add the yeast to. I guessed by using my

instant read meat
> thermometer and extrapolating. I hope it works, but I figured there must

be a better,
> more practical method of getting close to 110 degrees without gadgets.

these days, most hot water at the tank is around 120F. By the time it gets
down the pipe and to the tap and is running steady, it's dropped a few
degrees even when hot. When it is put into the bowl at temp, the water temp
drops even more because the heat it had as hot water goes into warming the
bowl.
My guess for getting 110F water from the tap would be to hold the
container under the hot-tap and turn it on and let it run overflowing the
container/ over your hand - run it until it feels pretty hot (because
supposedly an unacclimated man first feels burned when his hand is in 108F
or higher temp moving-water) and then pull the water container out of the
water stream.

Or if you have a thermometer probe for your microwave, you can put it in
the water and tell the wave to go to 110.

I'd even bet that the 120-115F hot water stream poured into a room-temp
heavy mug would get you 110F water after sitting in the mug for a few
seconds

-------
From the old days
- When we set up the heated whirlpool in the training room, we'd turn on
the heater and after a bit check it per the Docs instructions by holding our
hand in the circulating water. He said you have to fight to keep a hand in
over maybe ten seconds at 108F and at that temp the skin pinks up nice, and
110 was too hot for any of us to hold a hand (or leg) in at all. God knows
why there wasn't a thermometer for the tank, but there wasn't.

fwiw