Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default The Practical Bar-B-Q'r! New Web Site

The Practical Bar-B-Q'r! - http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm

or, http://tinyurl.com/ebcpa

After much thought and taking up the challenge to take my web presence
off of MSN Communities. I finally succeeded. I bought FrontPage98 off
Ebay for $10.00 and have set up a website that contains everything that
I had set up on the MSN Community plus a little more, with more coming
in the future.

It is rather bland right now due to FP98's templates not working
correctly (What else is new!) but it is fully functional.

The Practical Bar-B-Q'r is the cream of what I have been able to gather
about barbecuing. Go see for yourself. I also have made available the
"AFB Brine FAQ Book" available for download in two parts, which is
everything you need to know about brining plus recipes taken off AFB.

--
Regards,

Piedmont

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 20:19:56 -0600, "Mike \"Piedmont\""
> > wrote:
>> I also have made available the
>> "AFB Brine FAQ Book" available for download in two parts, which is
>> everything you need to know about brining plus recipes taken off AFB.

> You wanted Beta testers, right? :-)
>
> When I click on that link (the first of two), I get:
>
> -ERROR-(404): file specification syntax error
> Requested method: GET
> Requested URL:
> /~amwil/download/AFB%20Brine%20Book%20Cover%20and%20Table%20of%20Co ntents.doc
> HTTP protocol: HTTP/1.1

Yes, beta testers are welcome, I'll look into the two errors you mentioned!
Thanks!!!

--
Regards,

Piedmont

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default OT: Any Suggestions

Can't seem to get the hyperlinks to work for downloads, any suggestions?
I double checked that the documents were imported into the web site
and that the hyperlinks did indeed go to the files. And they work while
on my pc, but not after uploading.

--
Regards,

Piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Got it working from my browser,,,

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 08:28:03 -0600, "Mike \"Piedmont\""
> > wrote:
>
>> Can't seem to get the hyperlinks to work for downloads, any suggestions?
>> I double checked that the documents were imported into the web site
>> and that the hyperlinks did indeed go to the files. And they work while
>> on my pc, but not after uploading.

> There's probably a better way, but you could enable FTP on that
> directory and make them ftp links. I tried using FTP on it last
> night, but that directory was not FTP-able.
>
> ObFood: Homemade Egg McMuffin for breakfast - w/aged provolone.
>
> -sw

I got it working from my browser, if you have time, please check it from
your end!

--
Regards,

Piedmont

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 20:04:34 -0600, "Mike \"Piedmont\""
> > wrote:
>
>> Steve Wertz wrote:
>>> On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 08:28:03 -0600, "Mike \"Piedmont\""

>>> There's probably a better way, but you could enable FTP on that
>>> directory and make them ftp links. I tried using FTP on it last
>>> night, but that directory was not FTP-able.
>>>
>>> ObFood: Homemade Egg McMuffin for breakfast - w/aged provolone.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I got it working from my browser, if you have time, please check it from
>> your end!

> The DOC's seem to work fine, at least. Didn't try the others. Why
> not just display those in HTML?
>
> I have HTML versions if you'd like. They book itself looks fine
> in HTML, but the TOC and Cover have a lot of white-space due to
> excessive Paragraphs. I can send them to you if you'd like.
>
> -sw

Steve,
Forgive, I'm not sure that I understand your suggestion of going HTML, I
posted them so that they would open in a word processor so that anyone
could easily download and print out. I wasn't focused on displaying them
on the web site.

Question: If they were in HTML, how would that work? As far as ease of
downloading to a word processor so they can be printed out, or saved on
a persons pc for reference. (which was my main concern)

--
Regards,

Piedmont

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 08:11:21 -0600, "Mike \"Piedmont\""
> wrote:

>Forgive, I'm not sure that I understand your suggestion of going HTML, I
>posted them so that they would open in a word processor so that anyone
>could easily download and print out. I wasn't focused on displaying them
>on the web site.

Words and pretty pictures on the web should be in HTML. If retaining
formatting is absolutely necessary, then there's always <spit> .PDF.

Replace your current page with this one:

http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/bbq2/download.htm

Then go he

http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/bbq2/download2.htm

and download the four .PDF versions of the Word docs. Upload them into
the same directory on your site that the Word docs are in.

Those .PDFs don't want to open in Mozilla or IE, but they open fine on
my local drive. Don't know why and don't have time to figure it out.
You might need to create new .PDFs from the Word docs with PDF995, a
free printer driver for making .PDFs (www.pdf995.com).

>Question: If they were in HTML, how would that work? As far as ease of
>downloading to a word processor so they can be printed out, or saved on
>a persons pc for reference. (which was my main concern)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mike "Piedmont" wrote:

> Forgive, I'm not sure that I understand your suggestion of going
> HTML, I posted them so that they would open in a word processor so
> that anyone could easily download and print out. I wasn't focused on
> displaying them on the web site.

That means that whoever reads them has to have a word processor that
can read that particular document.

> Question: If they were in HTML, how would that work? As far as ease
> of downloading to a word processor so they can be printed out, or
> saved on a persons pc for reference. (which was my main concern)

Any MS Word document can be saved as HTML, and it will be more or less
similar to the original doc. The HTML produced is normally crappy, but
often better than nothing for those who aren't familiar with page
design.

It's possible Steve has done that for you already, maybe even cleaned
up the code.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default OT: putting it all together

The info that I'm getting from everyone is great, thanks everyone.

I sent Steve an e-mail (removed "post", and hope you get it) requesting
the html's you have.

What I believe that I'm hearing is word.doc's are a last resort to put
on a website, that PDF's and HTML versions are better?

I one had to chose between PDF and HTML, which one is best? As far as
the Brine book, retaining an exact copy is very important.

--
Regards,

Piedmont

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:28:08 -0600, "Mike \"Piedmont\""
> > wrote:
>
>> I one had to chose between PDF and HTML, which one is best? As far as
>> the Brine book, retaining an exact copy is very important.

> On a website? You have to ask? HTML. Or XHTML. Or XML. It's okay
> to make pdfs available for those who want them, but good HTML is many
> times smaller for the same content than PDF. Even bad (read:

snip

> --
> -denny-

Denny,
Yeah, had to ask (G)! Stupid people (like me) have to ask, or we never
advance! (G) My thoughts leaned towards keeping it as simple as possible.
I figured,
1. Everyone in the pc universe had a word processor,
2. That an openoffice.doc would open in any word processor.
3. That more people would know how to deal with an x.doc than how to
manipulate HTML. Especially since all you did was click on it and it
opened in your own private word processor.
Thanks!

Once Again, Thanks to all for the help,and no more of this OT crap! (G)

--
Regards,

Piedmont

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mike "Piedmont" wrote:

> The info that I'm getting from everyone is great, thanks everyone.
>
> I sent Steve an e-mail (removed "post", and hope you get it) requesting
> the html's you have.
>
> What I believe that I'm hearing is word.doc's are a last resort to put
> on a website, that PDF's and HTML versions are better?
>
> I one had to chose between PDF and HTML, which one is best? As far as
> the Brine book, retaining an exact copy is very important.

Mike,

HTML is the native language of the web. So, wherever possible, go
with HTML.

If the material is non-text, i.e. more in the realm of graphics,
convert it to gif or jpg, whichever turns out to be smaller. Experiment
and find out.

Use word (.doc) or pdf only as a last resort. Using them isn't
a mortal sin, but avoid them if at all possible on the web.

--
Reg