fishman99

Default lump charcoal

where can i buy good lump charcoal here in los angeles, california?
The Naked Whiz

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:25:13 -0700, fishman99 >
wrote:

>where can i buy good lump charcoal here in los angeles, california?

I'll let some folks closer to LA than me (LOL!) answer, but I think
you should be able to find a Wal*Mart that carries Real Flavor or
Royal Oak. Also, do you have BBQ's Galore? I just posted a review of
their latest lump charcoal and it was very respectable. They also
carry BGE lump (which is made by Royal Oak) generally. Here's a link
to my Lump Charcoal Database in case you are interested in reading
about some of the different brands:

http://www.lump-charcoal.com/

Good luck!
TNW

fishman99 > wrote:
> where can i buy good lump charcoal here in los angeles, california?

I buy Mesquite lump at Smart & Final. Good price and I can't detect the
mesquite in the flavor. You might also check Costco (which I haven't) and
Home Depot (which I also haven't). With all the smokers and Q'ers they have
at HD, I'd think they must have lump!

--
Nick. To support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families go to: http://saluteheroes.org/

jinym

fishman99 wrote:
> where can i buy good lump charcoal here in los angeles, california?

BevMo carries Lazarri mesquite lump for a pretty good price.

Duwop

"jinym" > wrote in message

> fishman99 wrote:
> > where can i buy good lump charcoal here in los angeles, california?

> BevMo carries Lazarri mesquite lump for a pretty good price.

Try to get them to buy a mixed pallet with the hardwood lump. That Lazzari
oak is good stuff.

The Naked Whiz

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:47:02 -0700, "Duwop" >
wrote:

>"jinym" > wrote in message
>>
>> fishman99 wrote:
>> > where can i buy good lump charcoal here in los angeles, california?

>> BevMo carries Lazarri mesquite lump for a pretty good price.

>Try to get them to buy a mixed pallet with the hardwood lump. That Lazzari
>oak is good stuff.

Could you do me a favor and look on a bag of Lazarri Oak. Does it say
what country it is made in? Product of XXXXXXX??

Thanks!
TNW

http://www.lump-charcoal.com/
Dana H. Myers

The Naked Whiz wrote:

> Could you do me a favor and look on a bag of Lazarri Oak. Does it say
> what country it is made in? Product of XXXXXXX??

Mexico on all 14 40lbs bags I've used in the last year
Every single bag has one big rock in it, too...
The Naked Whiz

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:40:29 -0700, "Dana H. Myers"
> wrote:

>The Naked Whiz wrote:
>
>> Could you do me a favor and look on a bag of Lazarri Oak. Does it say
>> what country it is made in? Product of XXXXXXX??

>Mexico on all 14 40lbs bags I've used in the last year
>Every single bag has one big rock in it, too...

I guess that is like the Thermopen people who put a small bag of Jelly
Bellies in every box? :-) Anyway, thanks for looking!

TNW
www.nakedwhiz.com

Duwop

> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:40:29 -0700, "Dana H. Myers"
> > wrote:
> >
> >Mexico on all 14 40lbs bags I've used in the last year
> >Every single bag has one big rock in it, too...

Heheh, yep, usually the size of a large thumb. Usually find em while
cleaning out the ash. No big deal.

Restocked a few months ago and all they had was 20lb bags. He priced them so
they'd be the same as the 40lbers. Hopefully they have the bigger bags
again, I love the big pieces and save em up for BBQ. It seems that the gray
plastic bags have more large pieces in them than the brown paper ones. Have
you noticed any difference?

Dale

2fatbbq

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message

> Every single bag has one big rock in it, too...

just to make sure it gets to the required weight!<sf>

Buzz

CSS

"The Naked Whiz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:47:02 -0700, "Duwop" >
> wrote:

>>> BevMo carries Lazarri mesquite lump for a pretty good price.

>>Try to get them to buy a mixed pallet with the hardwood lump. That Lazzari
>>oak is good stuff.

> Could you do me a favor and look on a bag of Lazarri Oak. Does it say
> what country it is made in? Product of XXXXXXX??
>
> Thanks!
> TNW
>
> http://www.lump-charcoal.com/

Mexico

The Naked Whiz

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:15:33 -0700, "Duwop" >
wrote:

>> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:40:29 -0700, "Dana H. Myers"
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> >Mexico on all 14 40lbs bags I've used in the last year
>> >Every single bag has one big rock in it, too...

>Heheh, yep, usually the size of a large thumb. Usually find em while
>cleaning out the ash. No big deal.
>
>Restocked a few months ago and all they had was 20lb bags. He priced them so
>they'd be the same as the 40lbers. Hopefully they have the bigger bags
>again, I love the big pieces and save em up for BBQ. It seems that the gray
>plastic bags have more large pieces in them than the brown paper ones. Have
>you noticed any difference?
>

>Dale

Actually, I've never bought a bag of Lazarri Oak (not available out
here) and for some reason when Lazarri contacted me about reviewing
their charcoal, they only asked me to review their mesquite. But BBQs
Galore is now getting their house brand from Lazarri, and I think I
know where Lazarri gets it, but I think it is supposed to be a secret.
:-) I was just wanting to confirm that Lazarri oak comes from Mexico.

TNW
www.lump-charcoal.com
frohe

fishman99 wrote:
> where can i buy good lump charcoal here in los angeles, california?

You can order Royal Oak thru any Do It Best Hardware store.

Their website lists all the DIB stores nation-wide.
http://doitbest.com/shop/locator.asp...MJQG4TWSD8 C5

--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Dana H. Myers

The Naked Whiz wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:40:29 -0700, "Dana H. Myers"
> > wrote:

>>Mexico on all 14 40lbs bags I've used in the last year
>>Every single bag has one big rock in it, too...

> I guess that is like the Thermopen people who put a small bag of Jelly
> Bellies in every box? :-)

Heh. I suspect they pay for the Jellie Bellies - the rocks are
probably free...

> Anyway, thanks for looking!

My pleasure!

Dana
Dana H. Myers

Duwop wrote:
>>On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:40:29 -0700, "Dana H. Myers"
> wrote:
>>
>>>Mexico on all 14 40lbs bags I've used in the last year
>>>Every single bag has one big rock in it, too...

> Heheh, yep, usually the size of a large thumb. Usually find em while
> cleaning out the ash. No big deal.

I've been finding much larger rocks - like fist-sized ones.
A couple of them looked like broken chunks of concrete.

> Restocked a few months ago and all they had was 20lb bags. He priced them so
> they'd be the same as the 40lbers. Hopefully they have the bigger bags
> again, I love the big pieces and save em up for BBQ. It seems that the gray
> plastic bags have more large pieces in them than the brown paper ones. Have
> you noticed any difference?

I haven't had the hardwood in the plastic bags to compare; will
pay attention and report back when I have info... could be a while :-)

Dana
Dana H. Myers

2fatbbq wrote:
> "Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
>
>>Every single bag has one big rock in it, too...

> just to make sure it gets to the required weight!<sf>

That was my first guess!

Dana

Lump charcoal. Bill Wright Barbecue 7 20-10-2005 07:33 PM
Lump charcoal VS Charcoal briquettes ken ullman Barbecue 40 22-08-2005 08:44 PM
Big Lump In Lump Charcoal Pierre Barbecue 8 11-07-2004 05:38 PM
Lump Charcoal Paull Barbecue 6 11-07-2004 04:56 PM
Whole lump charcoal Rich Engel Barbecue 1 17-10-2003 07:19 PM