Bill Wright

Default Lump charcoal.

I have a 22" charcoal Weber. I have always used regular charcoal in it
but I been thinking about buying some lump charcoal and trying it in the
Weber.

Here is my concern. AS you know the grill is about 6" above the coals
and with lump coals it will be a lot closer because they are so big.

Will this cause a greater chance of burning the meat?
Should I try raising the grill a couple if inches to compensate for the
size of the lump coals? Any advice would be appreciated.

Actually I have 6 Weber's,
1. a 22" kettle
2. a 3 burner gas grill (the one with the pop-up shelf on the left and
gas burner on the right.
3. a table top Smokey Joe, charcoal.
4. two gas rectangular table tops.
5. and a rectangular charcoal table top.

Thanks in advance.

Bill W.
bbq

Bill Wright wrote:
> I have a 22" charcoal Weber. I have always used regular charcoal in it
> but I been thinking about buying some lump charcoal and trying it in the
> Weber.
>
> Here is my concern. AS you know the grill is about 6" above the coals
> and with lump coals it will be a lot closer because they are so big.
>
> Will this cause a greater chance of burning the meat?
> Should I try raising the grill a couple if inches to compensate for the
> size of the lump coals? Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Actually I have 6 Weber's,
> 1. a 22" kettle
> 2. a 3 burner gas grill (the one with the pop-up shelf on the left and
> gas burner on the right.
> 3. a table top Smokey Joe, charcoal.
> 4. two gas rectangular table tops.
> 5. and a rectangular charcoal table top.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bill W.

I use my Weber kettle mostly for steaks, burgers, brats and wings. I
also use lump and have been exclusively for the last couple years.
Depending on how much lump is left over from previous cook will
determine how much fresh lump I put in the chimney to start up.
Generally, I like to have between a heaping chimney and a chimney and a
half of lump in the kettle. Once the lump is hot, I pour it on the
reclaimed lump. Then I spread out the hot lump as even as I can.

I DON'T spread them out across the whole grate though. Rather, I will
spread them out on the back half and use this as the cooking area. For
burgers, steaks and wings I cook directly over the lump. For brats
though, I will cook them around the middle being just at the front edge
of the lump. I cook 5 or 6 brats at a time. Sometimes I have to move
them around a bit to even out the cooking. If a couple are definitely
done sooner, I will move them to the front area as far away as possible
from the heat line to keep warm, while finishing the others.

Also, I was able to purchase the rotisserie collar to extend the height
of the grate from the coal grate. I only used this set up once I think
and did some Turkey Legs on them. I had an extra cooking grate and put
some 6X6 bricks on it and the cooking grate on top of the bricks.
That worked well to.

I have 5 Webers and a CharBroil. None are a gas unit though.

1 22" Kettle
1 WSM
3 Smokey Joes
1 Char Broil Deluxe smoker

HTH

BBQ
Ricky

"Bill Wright" > wrote in message
.. .
> I have a 22" charcoal Weber. I have always used regular charcoal in it
> but I been thinking about buying some lump charcoal and trying it in the
> Weber.
>
> Here is my concern. AS you know the grill is about 6" above the coals
> and with lump coals it will be a lot closer because they are so big.
>
> Will this cause a greater chance of burning the meat?
> Should I try raising the grill a couple if inches to compensate for the
> size of the lump coals? Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill - lump is can be broken into smaller pieces very easily. You can snap
large chunks with your hands. I have the same 22" Weber and I only use lump
in it.

EZ

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 23:16:34 GMT, Bill Wright >
wrote:

>I have a 22" charcoal Weber. I have always used regular charcoal in it
>but I been thinking about buying some lump charcoal and trying it in the
>Weber.
>
>Here is my concern. AS you know the grill is about 6" above the coals
>and with lump coals it will be a lot closer because they are so big.
>
>Will this cause a greater chance of burning the meat?
>Should I try raising the grill a couple if inches to compensate for the
>size of the lump coals? Any advice would be appreciated.

I have the same Weber. Briquets or lump, it grills and smokes just
grate as is.

(Hehehe - hey Beavis, he said "grate")

--
EZ Larry from St. Louis
Mike \Piedmont\

Bill Wright wrote:
> I have a 22" charcoal Weber. I have always used regular charcoal in it
> but I been thinking about buying some lump charcoal and trying it in the
> Weber.
>
> Here is my concern. AS you know the grill is about 6" above the coals
> and with lump coals it will be a lot closer because they are so big.

snip
> Bill W.

I think BBQ said it best, push the coals to one side and move your food
over and away from the coals as it suits you. I haven't done any
experiments with differences between regular and lump but feel that lump
will be hotter because it doesn't get an ash coating.

The ash coating, would seem to me to create more of a convection type
cooking situation, which is where more cooking is done by the air that
is heated whereas the lump will gives off direct infrared radiation. The
ash shields the foods from the more intense infrared radiation.

But as is always said here, experiment with inexpensive chicken, do a
batch with regular and then a batch with lump, use the same placement of
coals, which ever way you decide, then let us know what happened!

Mike Willsey

Zardoz

Greetings Rick: Have you ever heard of a lump charcoal called "Real
Flavor"? I have 20 ten pound bags of it and I would like to get rid of
it.It's a fire hazard.When I go to load a chimney full of lump there is to
much hot ashes that could be a potential hazard.
Regards
Jerry Gilbert getting ready for another hurricane in South Florida.

Zardoz wrote:

> Have you ever heard of a lump charcoal called "Real
> Flavor"?

That was Wal-Mart's store brand. ("Was" because it seems to have
disappeared in most stores, replaced with Royal Oak.)

I have 20 ten pound bags of it and I would like to get rid of
> it.It's a fire hazard.When I go to load a chimney full of lump there is to
> much hot ashes that could be a potential hazard.

Yeah, all the brands of lump I use tend to catch fire... damn "do
gooder" liberals outlawed the lump from Johns-Manville, "Burn Free"
Brand Lump, just because it was made from asbestos. (It lasted
*forever*, too!).

Lump charcoal VS Charcoal briquettes ken ullman Barbecue 40 22-08-2005 08:44 PM
lump charcoal fishman99 Barbecue 17 30-06-2005 09:52 AM
Big Lump In Lump Charcoal Pierre Barbecue 8 11-07-2004 05:38 PM
Lump Charcoal Paull Barbecue 6 11-07-2004 04:56 PM
Whole lump charcoal Rich Engel Barbecue 1 17-10-2003 07:19 PM