Old 16-04-2005, 12:20 AM
tranch

Default Picnic Ham

I bought a 10 pound picnic ham today and would like to make pulled pork
tomorrow. It's the first time I've tried this so I'd like to check with the
pros here to make sure I'm going to be doing it right. I plan on trying to
keep the temp between 250 - 300 degrees and get the finished internal temp
of the ham to 190 - 195 degrees. I know it's not done until it's done but
can I count on it taking about 9 hours or so or should I plan on it taking
longer?

--
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Old 16-04-2005, 01:11 AM
Duwop

"tranch" wrote in message

I bought a 10 pound picnic ham today and would like to make pulled

pork
tomorrow. It's the first time I've tried this so I'd like to check with

the
pros here to make sure I'm going to be doing it right. I plan on trying to
keep the temp between 250 - 300 degrees and get the finished internal temp
of the ham to 190 - 195 degrees. I know it's not done until it's done but
can I count on it taking about 9 hours or so or should I plan on it taking
longer?

Up to 12-13 hours, or as little as 8. Other than that you got it dialed in.
Damn Q don't care about schedules. Hope you didnt invite people over.

Old 16-04-2005, 01:13 AM
Brick

On 15-Apr-2005, "tranch" wrote:

I bought a 10 pound picnic ham today and would like to make pulled
pork tomorrow. It's the first time I've tried this so I'd like to
check with
the pros here to make sure I'm going to be doing it right. I plan on
trying to
keep the temp between 250 - 300 degrees and get the finished internal
temp
of the ham to 190 - 195 degrees. I know it's not done until it's done but
can I count on it taking about 9 hours or so or should I plan on it
taking
longer?

Last time I cooked a picnic was 11/15/'03. Cook temp was 250 to 300.
It took nine and a half hours. I had two racks of spares and two butts in
there with it. The butts took 6.25 and 7 Hrs respectively to get over 190.
They continured to cook while wrapped and resting in a cooler box. After
resting, the picnic bone pulled out cleanly only after slitting down to it
on one side. It was all good stuff, but in retrospect, I would fork test at
190 and expect to need 195 before they passed the fork test. And it
could be even higher depending on the meat itself and other variables
most of us couldn't even identify.

Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

Help Picnic Ham! low-n-slow Barbecue 8 10-08-2007 01:54 PM
What do I do with another picnic? kilikini General Cooking 25 26-06-2007 06:17 PM
What to take on a picnic??? SPOONS General Cooking 8 30-06-2005 01:41 PM
First Picnic Ham tranch Barbecue 7 19-04-2005 08:10 PM