Brick

On 15-Apr-2005, "tranch" > wrote:

> I bought a 10 pound picnic ham today and would like to make pulled
> pork tomorrow. It's the first time I've tried this so I'd like to
> check with
> the pros here to make sure I'm going to be doing it right. I plan on
> trying to
> keep the temp between 250 - 300 degrees and get the finished internal
> temp>
> of the ham to 190 - 195 degrees. I know it's not done until it's done but
> can I count on it taking about 9 hours or so or should I plan on it
> taking>
> longer?

Last time I cooked a picnic was 11/15/'03. Cook temp was 250° to 300°.
It took nine and a half hours. I had two racks of spares and two butts in
there with it. The butts took 6.25 and 7 Hrs respectively to get over 190°.
They continured to cook while wrapped and resting in a cooler box. After
resting, the picnic bone pulled out cleanly only after slitting down to it
on one side. It was all good stuff, but in retrospect, I would fork test at
190° and expect to need 195° before they passed the fork test. And it
could be even higher depending on the meat itself and other variables
most of us couldn't even identify.

Brick (Keep the shiny side up)