SPOONS

Default What to take on a picnic???

Hi all,

I have some friends comming for a visit and we said we'd go for a picnic and
spend the day outdoors. I'd like to make a fancy gourmet like picnic basket
with not your usualy foods. Have any suggestions? So far I thought of
grilling some veggies, & grill thick pieces of bread & top it off with some
brie or blue cheese.

Take care,
SPOONS

Dimitri

"SPOONS" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have some friends comming for a visit and we said we'd go for a picnic and
> spend the day outdoors. I'd like to make a fancy gourmet like picnic basket
> with not your usualy foods. Have any suggestions? So far I thought of
> grilling some veggies, & grill thick pieces of bread & top it off with some
> brie or blue cheese.
>
> Take care,
> SPOONS

Just when was the last time you had some cold "high quality" nicely herbed cold
roasted chicken?
I would use the chicken as a foundation and just build around that.

Crusty bread
Pate
Cold chicken
Mixed cold vegetable salad in a vinaigrette ( a nice Julianne cut) ( easy just
cut, blanch & shock)
Fresh fruit
Nice cheese
Well chilled dry white wine (please not a chardonnay)

Dimitri

SPOONS

Thanks Dimitri I knew I could count on you. :-)

Take care,
SPOONS

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. ..

> "SPOONS" > wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have some friends comming for a visit and we said we'd go for a picnic
>> and spend the day outdoors. I'd like to make a fancy gourmet like picnic
>> basket with not your usualy foods. Have any suggestions? So far I
>> thought of grilling some veggies, & grill thick pieces of bread & top it
>> off with some brie or blue cheese.
>>
>> Take care,
>> SPOONS

> Just when was the last time you had some cold "high quality" nicely herbed
> cold roasted chicken?
> I would use the chicken as a foundation and just build around that.
>
> Crusty bread
> Pate
> Cold chicken
> Mixed cold vegetable salad in a vinaigrette ( a nice Julianne cut) ( easy
> just cut, blanch & shock)
> Fresh fruit
> Nice cheese
> Well chilled dry white wine (please not a chardonnay)
>
> Dimitri

Charlie

SPOONS wrote:
> Thanks Dimitri I knew I could count on you. :-)
>=20
> Take care,
> SPOONS
>=20
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message=20
> . ..
>=20
>>"SPOONS" > wrote in message=20
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I have some friends comming for a visit and we said we'd go for a picn=

ic=20
>>>and spend the day outdoors. I'd like to make a fancy gourmet like pic=

nic=20
>>>basket with not your usualy foods. Have any suggestions? So far I=20
>>>thought of grilling some veggies, & grill thick pieces of bread & top =

it=20
>>>off with some brie or blue cheese.
>>>
>>>Take care,
>>>SPOONS

>>Just when was the last time you had some cold "high quality" nicely her=

bed=20
>>cold roasted chicken?
>>I would use the chicken as a foundation and just build around that.
>>
>>Crusty bread
>>Pate
>>Cold chicken
>>Mixed cold vegetable salad in a vinaigrette ( a nice Julianne cut) ( ea=

sy=20
>>just cut, blanch & shock)
>>Fresh fruit
>>Nice cheese
>>Well chilled dry white wine (please not a chardonnay)
>>
>>Dimitri
>>

>=20
>=20
>=20

Try this:

Cold Noodle Salad

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 teaspoons sesame oil
1 pound soba noodles, cooked until tender and refreshed in ice water
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, cut on the bias
1/2 cup bean sprouts
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
1 cup lightly crushed toasted cashews
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons black sesame seeds

In a small bowl, whisk together honey, soy sauce and sesame oil. To the=20
noodles, add green onions, bean sprouts, carrots, cucumber, cashews,=20
cilantro, sesame seeds, and the soy mixture and mix thoroughly.

Notes:
I find putting the honey into the microwave for a few seconds (depending =

how much is in the container) makes it easier to measure.

I put the honey, soy and sesame oil into the microwave for 5 seconds.=20
This makes it easier to whisk together.

I use 1/3 of a cup of honey instead of =BC cup.
jmcquown

SPOONS wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have some friends comming for a visit and we said we'd go for a
> picnic and spend the day outdoors. I'd like to make a fancy gourmet
> like picnic basket with not your usualy foods. Have any suggestions?
> So far I thought of grilling some veggies, & grill thick pieces of
> bread & top it off with some brie or blue cheese.
>
> Take care,
> SPOONS

It depends on whether or not you are paranoid about leaving food out for a
picnic. I take a styrofoam cooler and then you can do something like
spatchocked grilled cornish hens. Serve it with the breads and cheeses,
with fruit and salad if you like.

Jill

Ranee Mueller

In article >,
"SPOONS" > wrote:

> I have some friends comming for a visit and we said we'd go for a picnic and
> spend the day outdoors. I'd like to make a fancy gourmet like picnic basket
> with not your usualy foods. Have any suggestions? So far I thought of
> grilling some veggies, & grill thick pieces of bread & top it off with some
> brie or blue cheese.

That sounds good. I'd add some fresh fruit and a salad of some sort,
and maybe a dessert. Lemonade, fresh squeezed, or that sparkling stuff
in the bottles, is nice. Don't forget napkins, a blanket for the
ground and utensils.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Dean G.

Brie or Bleu Cheese ? Why not both ?

I'd also add some olives somehow. A tapanade spread for example, or
just hit an olive bar. For a quick olive spread, mash some kalmata
olives with a bit of (olive) oil and lemon juice. You can get fancy and
add sundried tomatoes and other stuff if you want, but that alone will
be good.

I like the idea of grilled veggies, either as a salad, or as a crudite
plate.

You may also try an easy tomato dish : slice tomatoes, put a bit of
fresh mozzarella and basil on each slice. No need to cook, but you can
do that too.

Another simple thing is a chilled frittata. I add all kinds of things
to these, onions, herbs, meats, cheeses, sometimes even guacamole.
Chill then slice into wedges, or cut into small strips and serve as a
salad.

Add whatever ripe fruit is available. Where I'm at, we are just getting
cherries, stawberries, and nectarines.

I agree with Dimitri's wine suggestion, but would add that real lemon
or lime-aide is a good alternative for non-drinkers.

Dean G.

Debbie

SPOONS wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have some friends comming for a visit and we said we'd go for a
>> picnic and spend the day outdoors. I'd like to make a fancy gourmet
>> like picnic basket with not your usualy foods. Have any
>> suggestions? So far I thought of grilling some veggies, & grill
>> thick pieces of bread & top it off with some brie or blue cheese.

Along with the other wonderful suggestions, I would think about some
gazpacho.. wonderfully cooling on a hot day.

Debbie

Shaun aRe

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. ..

> "SPOONS" > wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have some friends comming for a visit and we said we'd go for a picnic

and
> > spend the day outdoors. I'd like to make a fancy gourmet like picnic

basket
> > with not your usualy foods. Have any suggestions? So far I thought of
> > grilling some veggies, & grill thick pieces of bread & top it off with

some
> > brie or blue cheese.
> >
> > Take care,
> > SPOONS

> Just when was the last time you had some cold "high quality" nicely herbed

cold
> roasted chicken?
> I would use the chicken as a foundation and just build around that.
>
> Crusty bread
> Pate
> Cold chicken
> Mixed cold vegetable salad in a vinaigrette ( a nice Julianne cut) ( easy

just
> cut, blanch & shock)
> Fresh fruit
> Nice cheese
> Well chilled dry white wine (please not a chardonnay)
>
> Dimitri

Hmmmm, sounds good to me too - makes me wanna picnic right now.

Instead of the still wine though, how about a nice dry Cava? (or two!) In my
mind, ya can't beat bubbles at a picnic ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Oh, and with the fruit, how about chilled passionfruit, served
with no more than a teaspoon! Hmmmm...

Help Picnic Ham! low-n-slow Barbecue 8 10-08-2007 01:54 PM
What do I do with another picnic? kilikini General Cooking 25 26-06-2007 06:17 PM
First Picnic Ham tranch Barbecue 7 19-04-2005 08:10 PM
Picnic Ham tranch Barbecue 2 16-04-2005 01:13 AM