Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Help Picnic Ham!

Wife asked me to smoke a picnic ham on the WSM...Done lots of pork
shoulders but never one of those.

Generally, what should the internal temp of the meat be when I take
it off the grill, and two, how many hours of cooking time per pound of
meat?

This will be a "bone-in" picnic cut.

Thanks much,

low-n-slow

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"low-n-slow" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Wife asked me to smoke a picnic ham on the WSM...Done lots of pork
> shoulders but never one of those.
>
> Generally, what should the internal temp of the meat be when I take
> it off the grill, and two, how many hours of cooking time per pound of
> meat?
>
> This will be a "bone-in" picnic cut.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> low-n-slow

I'm guessing you mean a a precooked, cured, pork shoulder? If so, you just
heat up to
125 or so and cut it and eat it. I do this at a low temp[275 or so]. so the
whole picnic is warmed at the same rate. Make sure you bring it to room
temp. before you start. I throw a little wood in. I don't know if it does
much. At least you can think it does.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"low-n-slow" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Wife asked me to smoke a picnic ham on the WSM...Done lots of pork
> shoulders but never one of those.
>
> Generally, what should the internal temp of the meat be when I take
> it off the grill, and two, how many hours of cooking time per pound of
> meat?
>
> This will be a "bone-in" picnic cut.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> low-n-slow

If this is a cured and cooked picnic ham, it only has to be heated. The oven
is much easier.

If it is a picnic, fresh, not cured, it cooks just like a shoulder to about
185 degrees.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-Aug-2007, low-n-slow > wrote:

> Wife asked me to smoke a picnic ham on the WSM...Done lots of pork
> shoulders but never one of those.
>
> Generally, what should the internal temp of the meat be when I take
> it off the grill, and two, how many hours of cooking time per pound of
> meat?
>
> This will be a "bone-in" picnic cut.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> low-n-slow

Pretend that it's a shoulder and cook away. Given your WSM environment,
cook it fat side up (Toward the heat). I have no idea how long it will take
in a WSM. I cook picnics in 7 hours or so at about 270°F until they reach
185° to 195°F internal. Generally speaking, when you can pull the bone
out without the meat coming with it, it's done. As for hours/lb. I don't
have
a clue. I never thought of cooking that way. I know, I know. Lots of recipes
talk about that. I never had one work for me. Butts and picnics in my pit
take about 7 hrs. Ribs take about 4. Chickens take two or less. Briskets,
are funny. They're just done when they're done. Probably has a lot to do
with a large variance in the fat and colagen content. I expect them to take
about 11 hours. Sometimes they DON'T surprise me.
--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. net...

> "low-n-slow" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Wife asked me to smoke a picnic ham on the WSM...Done lots of pork
>> shoulders but never one of those.
>>
>> Generally, what should the internal temp of the meat be when I take
>> it off the grill, and two, how many hours of cooking time per pound of
>> meat?
>>
>> This will be a "bone-in" picnic cut.
>>
>> Thanks much,
>>
>> low-n-slow
>>

> If this is a cured and cooked picnic ham, it only has to be heated. The
> oven is much easier.
>
> If it is a picnic, fresh, not cured, it cooks just like a shoulder to
> about 185 degrees.

Edwin, my understanding is that a picnic is a shoulder and a ham is the
thigh, or the quadriceps muscle. I was chastised about this earlier. A
picnic "ham" would have to be cured and cooked when it leaves the shelf,
unless, it is a "city picnic". For most of us, I think, "ham" means
cured[with some ridiculous arterial injection ], possibly smoked, and
usually cooked.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

This is uncooked. It is the cut of meat with a big "round face" and a
bone in the middle, the classic "ham" folks eat at New Years with
black eyed peas. I have always called those a "picnic ham" but sit
corrected if that is not the correct terminology.

Thanks for the input and looking forward to getting it on the WSM!

low-n-slow

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> . net...
>>
>> "low-n-slow" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> Wife asked me to smoke a picnic ham on the WSM...Done lots of pork
>>> shoulders but never one of those.
>>>
>>> Generally, what should the internal temp of the meat be when I take
>>> it off the grill, and two, how many hours of cooking time per pound of
>>> meat?
>>>
>>> This will be a "bone-in" picnic cut.
>>>
>>> Thanks much,
>>>
>>> low-n-slow
>>>

>> If this is a cured and cooked picnic ham, it only has to be heated. The
>> oven is much easier.
>>
>> If it is a picnic, fresh, not cured, it cooks just like a shoulder to
>> about 185 degrees.
>>

> Edwin, my understanding is that a picnic is a shoulder and a ham is the
> thigh, or the quadriceps muscle. I was chastised about this earlier. A
> picnic "ham" would have to be cured and cooked when it leaves the shelf,
> unless, it is a "city picnic". For most of us, I think, "ham" means
> cured[with some ridiculous arterial injection ], possibly smoked, and
> usually cooked.

A picnic ham is not a ham. It is the lower portion of the shoulder. The BUTT
is the upper portion. Sometimes when they are cured they are called a picnic
ham.
When fresh they sometimes call them picnic shoulder.
Anyway if it is fresh cook till about 190°
Tomes and temps are similar to a BUTT. I leave the skin on. If you can
raise the temp at the end and crisp it. It can be chopped in the meat, adds
another dimension to the flavor.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"low-n-slow" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> This is uncooked. It is the cut of meat with a big "round face" and a
> bone in the middle, the classic "ham" folks eat at New Years with
> black eyed peas. I have always called those a "picnic ham" but sit
> corrected if that is not the correct terminology.
>
> Thanks for the input and looking forward to getting it on the WSM!
>
> low-n-slow

Well if you got a fresh ham, from the back of the hog. It don't have the fat
that the shoulder does and will not be as flavorful, but will be good
anyway. Season and cook as before, but take it off around 170° and slice.
It should (will) be tender, Makes good cold sammiches.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

What do I do with another picnic? kilikini General Cooking 25 26-06-2007 06:17 PM
What to take on a picnic??? SPOONS General Cooking 8 30-06-2005 01:41 PM
First Picnic Ham tranch Barbecue 7 19-04-2005 08:10 PM
Picnic Ham tranch Barbecue 2 16-04-2005 01:13 AM