Rob

Default Keeping the coal hot

Hi all,

I just got a Brinkman Smoker and am having problems keeping the charcoal
hot. What is the secret to keeping the coals hot and do you mix your wood
with your coals?

Thanks
Rob

TFM®

Rob wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just got a Brinkman Smoker and am having problems keeping the
> charcoal hot. What is the secret to keeping the coals hot and do you
> mix your wood with your coals?

Holes in the coal pan worked best for me. I drilled a dozen or so half inch
holes all over the bottom.

The best advice though is to get a WSM. It's what a Brinkmann wants to be.

I got mine as a wedding gift. I know they're considerably more expensive
than the Brinkmann, but if my current one ever wears out, I won't hesitate
a second in buying a replacement. They're *that* good.

In a pinch, you could hang the coal pan in a tree and take a shot from about
20 yards with 12 guage 00 buckshot. <G>

TFM®

TFM®

Rob wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just got a Brinkman Smoker and am having problems keeping the
> charcoal hot. What is the secret to keeping the coals hot and do you
> mix your wood with your coals?

Holes in the coal pan worked best for me. I drilled a dozen or so half inch
holes all over the bottom.

The best advice though is to get a WSM. It's what a Brinkmann wants to be.

I got mine as a wedding gift. I know they're considerably more expensive
than the Brinkmann, but if my current one ever wears out, I won't hesitate
a second in buying a replacement. They're *that* good.

In a pinch, you could hang the coal pan in a tree and take a shot from about
20 yards with 12 guage 00 buckshot. <G>

TFM®

BOB

TFM® wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just got a Brinkman Smoker and am having problems keeping the
>> charcoal hot. What is the secret to keeping the coals hot and do
>> you
>> mix your wood with your coals?

> Holes in the coal pan worked best for me. I drilled a dozen or so
> half inch holes all over the bottom.

I'm disappointed...all this time, I thought you used a shotgun.

> The best advice though is to get a WSM. It's what a Brinkmann wants
> to be.

Best under $200 ever spent on a smoker/grill.

> I got mine as a wedding gift. I know they're considerably more
> expensive than the Brinkmann, but if my current one ever wears out,
> I won't hesitate a second in buying a replacement. They're *that*
> good.

If I ever lose my ceramic trio, a WSM will be here in a heartbeat.

> In a pinch, you could hang the coal pan in a tree and take a shot
> from about 20 yards with 12 guage 00 buckshot. <G>

My faith has been restored!

> TFM®

BOB

Cam

Rob wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just got a Brinkman Smoker and am having problems keeping the

charcoal
> hot. What is the secret to keeping the coals hot and do you mix your

wood
> with your coals?
>
> Thanks
> Rob

Does the charcoal sit on the bottom of the pan or did they give you a
fire grate? Once you've shot some holes in the pan you'll want to
elevate the coals an inch or two above the bottom. If you don't have a
fire grate buy a smal baking rack and bash it into shape. You need
better airflow. Most mods for the Brinkman are to make it into a cheapo
fake WSM. Check out the FAQ for some more ideas
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/7.html#7.2.1

Cam

Dave

"Rob" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I just got a Brinkman Smoker and am having problems keeping the charcoal
> hot. What is the secret to keeping the coals hot and do you mix your wood
> with your coals?
>
> Thanks
> Rob

I addittion to the hole-fix, you might try using lump charcaol.
DT

Dave

"Rob" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I just got a Brinkman Smoker and am having problems keeping the charcoal
> hot. What is the secret to keeping the coals hot and do you mix your wood
> with your coals?
>
> Thanks
> Rob

I addittion to the hole-fix, you might try using lump charcaol.
DT

Christine Allison

You may not be using enough charcoal. The best practice is to burn at least
a chimney full and control the speed of burning with your cookers vents.

In general it's preferable to keep the exhaust vent open and control the
rate of combustion by adjusting the intake vent(s). If your stove parts are
not tight fitting and you have leaks this may be difficult.

Richard Smith

"Dave" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Rob" > wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just got a Brinkman Smoker and am having problems keeping the

charcoal
> > hot. What is the secret to keeping the coals hot and do you mix your

wood
> > with your coals?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Rob

> I addittion to the hole-fix, you might try using lump charcaol.
> DT

Christine Allison

You may not be using enough charcoal. The best practice is to burn at least
a chimney full and control the speed of burning with your cookers vents.

In general it's preferable to keep the exhaust vent open and control the
rate of combustion by adjusting the intake vent(s). If your stove parts are
not tight fitting and you have leaks this may be difficult.

Richard Smith

"Dave" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Rob" > wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just got a Brinkman Smoker and am having problems keeping the

charcoal
> > hot. What is the secret to keeping the coals hot and do you mix your

wood
> > with your coals?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Rob

> I addittion to the hole-fix, you might try using lump charcaol.
> DT

TFM®

Christine Allison wrote:
> You may not be using enough charcoal. The best practice is to burn
> at least a chimney full and control the speed of burning with your
> cookers vents.
>
> In general it's preferable to keep the exhaust vent open and control
> the rate of combustion by adjusting the intake vent(s). If your
> stove parts are not tight fitting and you have leaks this may be
> difficult.

Don't confuse him........a Brinkmann's vents *are* the leaks!

TFM®

TFM®

Christine Allison wrote:
> You may not be using enough charcoal. The best practice is to burn
> at least a chimney full and control the speed of burning with your
> cookers vents.
>
> In general it's preferable to keep the exhaust vent open and control
> the rate of combustion by adjusting the intake vent(s). If your
> stove parts are not tight fitting and you have leaks this may be
> difficult.

Don't confuse him........a Brinkmann's vents *are* the leaks!

TFM®

Matthew L. Martin

TFM® wrote:
> Christine Allison wrote:
>
>>You may not be using enough charcoal. The best practice is to burn
>>at least a chimney full and control the speed of burning with your
>>cookers vents.
>>
>>In general it's preferable to keep the exhaust vent open and control
>>the rate of combustion by adjusting the intake vent(s). If your
>>stove parts are not tight fitting and you have leaks this may be
>>difficult.

> Don't confuse him........a Brinkmann's vents *are* the leaks!

Even when stacked.

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?
Matthew L. Martin

TFM® wrote:
> Christine Allison wrote:
>
>>You may not be using enough charcoal. The best practice is to burn
>>at least a chimney full and control the speed of burning with your
>>cookers vents.
>>
>>In general it's preferable to keep the exhaust vent open and control
>>the rate of combustion by adjusting the intake vent(s). If your
>>stove parts are not tight fitting and you have leaks this may be
>>difficult.

> Don't confuse him........a Brinkmann's vents *are* the leaks!

Even when stacked.

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?

Rot coal! maxine in ri General Cooking 23 05-10-2009 02:33 AM
Looking for coal burning help Deejaydan Barbecue 4 16-06-2005 09:58 PM
Keeping the coal hot Rob Barbecue 0 05-04-2005 10:19 PM
Extruded coal? Piedmont Barbecue 5 20-02-2005 06:43 PM
Extruded coal? Piedmont Barbecue 0 17-02-2005 03:47 AM