Old 29-09-2009, 05:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rot coal!

Or should that be rott kohl? Either way, there are two head of red
cabbage in my fridge, and I shudder at the thought of vinegar, apples,
and other braising ideas.

I'm thinking of something with chestnuts (found a recipe) to bring out
the nuttiness that may be inherent in the beastie.

Does cabbage take well to roasting?

[For those of you tired of my pleas for help using CSA veggies,
there's less than 2 months to go, and lots of squashes and alliums
readying themselves for storage on the horizon]

maxine, off to "India" again this evening.

Old 29-09-2009, 06:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" schrieb :
Or should that be rott kohl?

Rotkohl (or Rotkraut). Rot = red, Kraut = cabbage.

Either way, there are two head of red
cabbage in my fridge, and I shudder at the thought of vinegar, apples,
and other braising ideas.

Well, there's Wiener Rotkraut with glazed chestnuts, but it involves
braising, 2 apples and 1 tblsp wine vinegar ;-)
(Apart from lemon, orange, wine, salt,pepper,caraway seeds,
lard, onion,etc).

I'm thinking of something with chestnuts (found a recipe) to bring out
the nuttiness that may be inherent in the beastie.

Does cabbage take well to roasting?

Not really.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Old 29-09-2009, 08:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

Or should that be rott kohl? Either way, there are two head of red
cabbage in my fridge, and I shudder at the thought of vinegar, apples,
and other braising ideas.

Does that include cabbage rolls?
Old 29-09-2009, 10:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 29, 1:32*pm, "Michael Kuettner"
wrote:
"maxine in ri" schrieb :

Or should that be rott kohl? *

Rotkohl (or Rotkraut). Rot = red, Kraut = cabbage.

Either way, there are two head of red
cabbage in my fridge, and I shudder at the thought of vinegar, apples,
and other braising ideas.

Well, there's Wiener Rotkraut with glazed chestnuts, but it involves
braising, 2 apples and 1 tblsp wine vinegar ;-)
(Apart from lemon, orange, wine, salt,pepper,caraway seeds,
lard, onion,etc).

I'm thinking of something with chestnuts (found a recipe) to bring out
the nuttiness that may be inherent in the beastie.

Does cabbage take well to roasting?

Not really.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Thank you Michael. My German is long gone.
maxine in ri
Old 29-09-2009, 10:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

Does cabbage take well to roasting?

Yes. Turn the oven on to 425. Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil
in a large cast iron skillet and sautee a couple of cloves of crushed
garlic until fragrant.

Add your cabbage, the whole head (minus the core, of course), coarsely
chopped, a teaspoon of kosher salt, a teaspoon of dried thyme and a
generous grinding of black pepper (maybe 1/2 tsp?). Stir and toss to
coat the cabbage. Add maybe 1/3 cup of water to the pan. Chicken broth
is good if you've got it on hand, but water will work just fine. The
point is to provide a little steam.

Place in oven and roast for 10 minutes. Stir. Roast for 10 more
minutes. The cabbage should be tender, sweet and browned on the edges.
Taste and correct for salt and pepper.

Old 29-09-2009, 10:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

Or should that be rott kohl?

Rotkohl.

Either way, there are two head of red
cabbage in my fridge, and I shudder at the thought of vinegar, apples,
and other braising ideas.

Why? You tried it and didn't like it? If you want a specifically
German recipe, there is very often lard or bacon fat... is that a viable
option?

I'm thinking of something with chestnuts (found a recipe) to bring out
the nuttiness that may be inherent in the beastie.

Can't help there, as I don't like chestnuts.

Does cabbage take well to roasting?

Well, you can make a gratin.

Here are a couple of recipes.

Rotkohl bayerische Art
Red Cabbage Bavarian Style
serves 4

1 head red cabbage (about 1 kg/ 2.2 pounds)
1 onion
30 g (about an ounce) clarified butter
1-2 teaspoons sugar
1-2 teaspoons caraway seeds (I omit them)
salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 l (a generous cup) meat or vegetable stock or broth
3 parsley twigs
2 tablespoons lemon juice

1. Quarter the cabbage and remove the outer leaves and the core. Wash
the quarters and slice finely. Peel the onion and chop finely.

2. In a pot, heat the butter and the sugar over medium-to-high heat and
let lightly brown, stirring constantly.

3. Add the cabbage, onions, caraway, salt and pepper, and cook for a
few seconds, stirring.

4. Add the stock or broth, bring to boil, and cook, covered, over
low-to-medium heat for about 15 minutes, until just soft.

5. Wash, dry and finely chop the parsley.

6. Sprinkle lemon juice over the cabbage to taste and serve, mixed with
parsley.

Rotkohlgratin
Red Cabbage Gratin
serves 5

2 large onions
1 garlic clove
1 medium-sized head red cabbage
1 small bunch parsley
4-5 tablespoons oil
200 ml (0.8 cup) cream
3 eggs
salt
Cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground caraway (I omit it)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
200 g (7 oz) grated cheese of choice (such as Gruyre, Gouda, Edam, or
mozzarella, each making a difference)
50 g (1.8 oz) butter

1. Peel and chop separately the onions and the garlic.

2. Clean and quarter the cabbage and remove the core. Wash and finely
slice the quarters.

3. Wash, dry and finely chop the parsley.

4. Heat the oil and, in batches, brown the cabbage and onions over low
heat, stirring, remove and let cool until just warm.

5. Mix in the garlic.

6. Mix the cream together with the eggs, salt, a healthy pinch of
Cayenne pepper, caraway and thyme.

7. Layer the cabbage, the cream mixture and about two-thirds of the
cheese in two layers in a large casserole with a lid. Sprinkle with the
rest of the cheese on top.

8. Place small pats of butter on top.

9. Cover, put on the lowest shelf of the cold oven and bake at
180C/360F, or by convection at 160C/320F for 20 minutes.

10. Remove the lid and bake for 30 more minutes until the top is nicely
browned.

Victor
Old 29-09-2009, 11:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

(Victor Sack) wrote in
on Sep Tue 2009 04:47 pm

maxine in ri wrote:

Or should that be rott kohl?

Rotkohl.

[...]

Around these parts red cabbage is panfried in a little butter, a little sugar and a little red wine.

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Jimmy Durante

Old 29-09-2009, 11:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
Or should that be rott kohl? Either way, there are two head of red
cabbage in my fridge, and I shudder at the thought of vinegar, apples,
and other braising ideas.

Colcannon? I have never made it with red cabbage but ......
--
JL

I'm thinking of something with chestnuts (found a recipe) to bring out
the nuttiness that may be inherent in the beastie.

Does cabbage take well to roasting?

[For those of you tired of my pleas for help using CSA veggies,
there's less than 2 months to go, and lots of squashes and alliums
readying themselves for storage on the horizon]

maxine, off to "India" again this evening.

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Old 30-09-2009, 03:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 29, 5:47*pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
maxine in ri wrote:

Or should that be rott kohl?

Rotkohl.

*Either way, there are two head of red
cabbage in my fridge, and I shudder at the thought of vinegar, apples,
and other braising ideas.

Why? *You tried it and didn't like it? *If you want a specifically
German recipe, there is very often lard or bacon fat... is that a viable
option?

Mostly it's the braising that I dread. My experience with cooked
cabbage has left emotional scars. And I find the texture of cooked
apples (unless they're cooked inside a pieg) unappealing, so many of
the recipes I found for rotkohl turned me off.

Most recipes I've tried that call for lard seem to work ok (at least
we like them) using either shortening or margarine, even oil in a few
cases. Bacon and fatback are a little trickier, since they impart a
decided flavor that salt and liquid smoke just can't match.

I'm thinking of something with chestnuts (found a recipe) to bring out
the nuttiness that may be inherent in the beastie.

Can't help there, as I don't like chestnuts.

Does cabbage take well to roasting?

Well, you can make a gratin.

Here are a couple of recipes.

The Barvarian one sounds too much like a braise, but the gratin sounds
tasty. Thank you!

maxine in ri
Old 30-09-2009, 03:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 29, 6:23*pm, hahabogus wrote:

Around these parts red cabbage is panfried in a little butter, a little sugar and a little red wine.

Fry/sautee/slow-cook on top of the stove is sounding better and
better, altho a nice cheesy gratin keeps me from making a decision.
With two heads, we may be having both.

thank you
maxine in ri

Old 30-09-2009, 03:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 29, 6:27*pm, "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq."
wrote:
maxine in ri wrote:
Or should that be rott kohl? *Either way, there are two head of red
cabbage in my fridge, and I shudder at the thought of vinegar, apples,
and other braising ideas.

Colcannon? *I have never made it with red cabbage but ......

We had purple potatoes the other week, altho they were more pink than
purple. If I'd known the red cabbage was coming in, I would have
saved them. We had a warm vegetable salad at a potluck Sunday, with
white turnips splotched magenta with beets. It was sort of pretty,
until it had sat out for a while, and the beets colored the carrots,
the turnips, the green veggie....

Bleedin' veggies! g

with apologies to our British friends
maxine in ri
Old 30-09-2009, 03:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote about roasting red cabbage:

Turn the oven on to 425. Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a
large cast iron skillet and sautee a couple of cloves of crushed garlic
until fragrant.

Add your cabbage, the whole head (minus the core, of course), coarsely
chopped, a teaspoon of kosher salt, a teaspoon of dried thyme and a
generous grinding of black pepper (maybe 1/2 tsp?). Stir and toss to coat
the cabbage. Add maybe 1/3 cup of water to the pan. Chicken broth is
good if you've got it on hand, but water will work just fine. The point
is to provide a little steam.

Place in oven and roast for 10 minutes. Stir. Roast for 10 more minutes.
The cabbage should be tender, sweet and browned on the edges. Taste and
correct for salt and pepper.

That's about the same thought I had, except that I was thinking about
cutting the cabbage into wedges rather than coarsely chopping it. I liked
the idea of having a continuum of doneness.

Bob

Old 30-09-2009, 03:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine wrote:

We had a warm vegetable salad at a potluck Sunday, with white turnips
splotched magenta with beets. It was sort of pretty, until it had sat out
for a while, and the beets colored the carrots, the turnips, the green
veggie....

"Y'ever been going down the buffet line and suddenly, here's a big pile of
yellow shit? Something ya ain't never _seen_ before! I don't know what is.
I'm not going to ask, either. But I am going to look at it. 'Cause other
people are eating of it! And I've noticed the average pile of yellow shit on
the buffet has about five ingredients in it. But they're all yellow. That
means four of them _gave up_."

---George Carlin "Fussy Eater"

Bob

Old 30-09-2009, 04:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

maxine wrote:

We had a warm vegetable salad at a potluck Sunday, with white turnips
splotched magenta with beets. It was sort of pretty, until it had sat out
for a while, and the beets colored the carrots, the turnips, the green
veggie....

I went to a church potluck a couple of weeks ago. Somebody came late
and brought yet another cold salad, with red beets, potatoes and
carrots. Of course, everything was red. I had two helpings.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 30-09-2009, 04:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Rane at Arabian Knits wrote:

In article
,
maxine wrote:

Colcannon? *I have never made it with red cabbage but ......

I love colcannon. I make it with kale.

We had purple potatoes the other week, altho they were more pink than
purple. If I'd known the red cabbage was coming in, I would have
saved them. We had a warm vegetable salad at a potluck Sunday, with
white turnips splotched magenta with beets. It was sort of pretty,
until it had sat out for a while, and the beets colored the carrots,
the turnips, the green veggie....

Bleedin' veggies! g

That made me think of something else you could do. I make a root
vegetable hash, either by itself to serve with eggs or with a meat as a
meal in itself. Adding cabbage to it would be really good, I think.

Regards,
Ranee

Actually, adding some thinly sliced cabbage to hash works just fine. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq

Subscribe:

coal and bush Beach Runner Vegan 7 25-07-2005 04:37 PM
Looking for coal burning help Deejaydan Barbecue 4 16-06-2005 09:58 PM
Keeping the coal hot Rob Barbecue 12 08-04-2005 12:33 PM
Keeping the coal hot Rob Barbecue 0 05-04-2005 10:19 PM
Extruded coal? Piedmont Barbecue 0 17-02-2005 02:47 AM