Gus

Default Side dish good with your Q

To the group...

Short and sweet will be this message. It is a recipe for a rice dish using
your Q leftovers to go with anything you like to eat, but especially freshly
Q'd things like ribs and brisket, etc. It is sort of like a combination of
"dirty rice" and redneck's paella. Omit the chicken liver and stuff like
that which is often found in "dirty rice" and forget to put the mussels and
shrimp in the paella... that's sort of what it is like.

Get a BIG stock pot onto the stove and put 12 cups (3 quarts) of water into
it. Put the heat to it to get it up to boiling. Then add chopped chicken
and/or chopped pork and/or chopped brisket and/or whatever Qd meat you like
to the pot in whatever quantity you think is best. Follow that with 1 or 2
chopped green peppers, 1 or 2 big chopped stalks of celery, a nice big
chopped onion, 2 15-ounce cans of chopped tomatoes with green chilies (like
Rotel makes, etc.), 1 15-ounce can of green peas, 1 15-ounce can of cut
green beans, a chopped half of a small green cabbage, 4 tablespoons soy
sauce (or more if you like it a lot), 3 or 4 tablespoons of liquid smoke, 1
teaspoon (or more) of crushed red pepper flakes, 1 or 2 tablespoons of beef
boullion granules or the equivalent in cubes, 3 or 4 tablespoons of butter
or margarine, 1 or 2 teaspoons of ground black pepper, 3 or 4 tablespoons of
garlic powder, 2 teaspoons of salt. Get it all back to boiling again. Then
add 5 cups of uncooked rice. (brown rice is probably the best even though
it takes longer to cook it.) Get it all back to boiling once again. Then
cut the heat way down and let it "simmer" with a cover on the pot. It will
take probably 45 minutes to an hour before the rice is cooked tender.

There may seem to be "too much" liquid still present when the rice is
"done," but it will be absorbed almost completely after some "sitting time."

There is one funny thing about this stuff... downright peculiar, if not
counter to the laws of nature -- when you stick 15 or 16 quarts of the stuff
in front of a group of people, it evaporates. It is rather amazing.

Best to all,
Gus Kilthau
"Redneck's Kitchen" Houston, Texas

Louis Cohen

Gus wrote:
> To the group...
>
> Short and sweet will be this message. It is a recipe for a rice dish using
> your Q leftovers to go with anything you like to eat, but especially freshly
> Q'd things like ribs and brisket, etc. It is sort of like a combination of
> "dirty rice" and redneck's paella. Omit the chicken liver and stuff like
> that which is often found in "dirty rice" and forget to put the mussels and
> shrimp in the paella... that's sort of what it is like.
>
> Get a BIG stock pot onto the stove and put 12 cups (3 quarts) of water into
> it. Put the heat to it to get it up to boiling. Then add chopped chicken
> and/or chopped pork and/or chopped brisket and/or whatever Qd meat you like
> to the pot in whatever quantity you think is best. Follow that with 1 or 2
> chopped green peppers, 1 or 2 big chopped stalks of celery, a nice big
> chopped onion, 2 15-ounce cans of chopped tomatoes with green chilies (like
> Rotel makes, etc.), 1 15-ounce can of green peas, 1 15-ounce can of cut
> green beans, a chopped half of a small green cabbage, 4 tablespoons soy
> sauce (or more if you like it a lot), 3 or 4 tablespoons of liquid smoke, 1
> teaspoon (or more) of crushed red pepper flakes, 1 or 2 tablespoons of beef
> boullion granules or the equivalent in cubes, 3 or 4 tablespoons of butter
> or margarine, 1 or 2 teaspoons of ground black pepper, 3 or 4 tablespoons of
> garlic powder, 2 teaspoons of salt. Get it all back to boiling again. Then
> add 5 cups of uncooked rice. (brown rice is probably the best even though
> it takes longer to cook it.) Get it all back to boiling once again. Then
> cut the heat way down and let it "simmer" with a cover on the pot. It will
> take probably 45 minutes to an hour before the rice is cooked tender.
>
> There may seem to be "too much" liquid still present when the rice is
> "done," but it will be absorbed almost completely after some "sitting time."
>
> There is one funny thing about this stuff... downright peculiar, if not
> counter to the laws of nature -- when you stick 15 or 16 quarts of the stuff
> in front of a group of people, it evaporates. It is rather amazing.
>
> Best to all,
> Gus Kilthau
> "Redneck's Kitchen" Houston, Texas

It's sort of like jumbalaya, but what's the connection with paella?
Rice-A-Roni is more like paella than this.

Regards

Louis Cohen

"Yes, yes, I will desalinate you, you grande morue!"

Émile Zola, Assommoir 1877
Gus

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> Gus wrote:
> > To the group...
> >
> > Short and sweet will be this message. It is a recipe for a rice dish

using
> > your Q leftovers to go with anything you like to eat, but especially

freshly
> > Q'd things like ribs and brisket, etc. It is sort of like a combination

of
> > "dirty rice" and redneck's paella. Omit the chicken liver and stuff

like
> > that which is often found in "dirty rice" and forget to put the mussels

and
> > shrimp in the paella... that's sort of what it is like.
> >

> It's sort of like jumbalaya, but what's the connection with paella?
> Rice-A-Roni is more like paella than this.
>
> Louis Cohen

Louis...
Yes, it is a lot like jambalaya. It's connection with paella is (1) rice
(2) pork (3) chicken (4) peas (5) green beans (6) sweet peppers and chili
peppers (7) tomatoes (8) onion (9) ground black and flaked red pepper
(several kinds) (10) cabbage (11) oil [margarine or butter] and there it
comes close to an end. There are no mussels or scampi in this dish as there
in paella. Also, in this dish there is chopped celery, and things like soy
sauce, beef boullion (or stock), garlic, liquid smoke, etc., things that
one does not ordinarily find in paella (or in jambalaya, either) Hence,
this is like "redneck paella" as opposed to Cuban paella. As sort of an
emphasis, the best kind of rice to use seems to be brown rice even though
that kind takes longer to cook.

Best to you and all,
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas
Redneck's Kitchen

Side dish Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 5 04-09-2011 10:07 AM
Oatmeal as a side dish [email protected] General Cooking 10 11-07-2008 05:21 AM
Looking for a new side dish? jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 0 09-04-2008 12:47 PM
Bbq side dish [email protected] Barbecue 6 25-02-2006 04:27 PM
My Favorite Side Dish d.c. General Cooking 1 29-09-2003 04:43 AM