Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Default Apricot glaze baby backs

Forget that KC luzer-Q - these are WINNING ribs!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/g...pork-ribs.html

Ever since taking up competition barbecue, I've become obsessed with
finding a way to make the most consistently perfect slow-smoked pork
ribs that can elicit awards from faceless judges. In the process, my rib
method has grown to include all sorts of meticulous steps, like wrapping
the ribs in foil at just the right time, adding a braising liquid to get
them perfectly tender, and monitoring the temperature more closely than
doctors keeping tabs on patient's vitals in the ICU.

The resulting competition ribs have earned me a few trophies, but
they're honestly not the kind I love most. You see, I'd rather use a
simpler method and push the flavor with additional spices and heat, but
that can be risky in a competition setting, since I don't want to take
that chance on judges with sensitive palates.

My theories on barbecue sauce are in constant evolution. A few years
ago, you would have never seen me use ketchup, but now I'm all for it
because, in many cases, it makes a more crowd-pleasing sauce than the
tomato sauce I used to insist on. I also would have said that fruit
sauces should be made with fresh fruit, not jams or preserves. But now I
use both kinds because I've come to realize that jams already have a lot
of the sugar I would otherwise have to add to a sauce made with fresh fruit.

When I made this particular apricot barbecue sauce, I grabbed a
good-quality bottle of preserves without giving it a second
thought€”apricots weren't in season at the time, anyway. Then I built up
the layers of barbecue sauce flavor around it, including ketchup,
vinegar, onion, Worcestershire, garlic, honey, and mustard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:58:10 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:

>Forget that KC luzer-Q - these are WINNING ribs!
>
>http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/g...pork-ribs.html

Those pics are definitely photoshopped... and still those ribs look
slimey.

>The resulting competition ribs have earned me a few trophies, but
>they're honestly not the kind I love most. You see, I'd rather use a
>simpler method and push the flavor with additional spices and heat, but
>that can be risky in a competition setting, since I don't want to take
>that chance on old fart judges with TIAD palates.

BBQ sauce serves one purpose and one purpose only, to hide the
flavor/texture of crap cooked ribs... sauced ribs are tantamont to
slathering a steak with Heinz red... if your ribs are better with
sauce, any sauce, they are only fit for a land fill. Concentrate on
cooking ribs, forget sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 6/10/2015 1:09 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:58:10 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:
>
>> Forget that KC luzer-Q - these are WINNING ribs!
>>
>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/g...pork-ribs.html

> Those pics are definitely photoshopped... and still those ribs look
> slimey.

You're huffing paint again, right?

>> The resulting competition ribs have earned me a few trophies, but
>> they're honestly not the kind I love most. You see, I'd rather use a
>> simpler method and push the flavor with additional spices and heat, but
>> that can be risky in a competition setting, since I don't want to take
>> that chance on old fart judges with TIAD palates.

> BBQ sauce serves one purpose and one purpose only, to hide the
> flavor/texture of crap cooked ribs... sauced ribs are tantamont to
> slathering a steak with Heinz red... if your ribs are better with
> sauce, any sauce, they are only fit for a land fill. Concentrate on
> cooking ribs, forget sauce.

While I generally tend to agree, and think sauce is best for dipping,
there is place for a nice glaze on any finished rib.

This apricot one is particularly tasty, albeit I tweaked my version to
substitute some Hoi Sin for the catsup.

And I like honey mustard over the typical yellow.

Don't be such a stick in the mud - open up, try new things!

Apricot glaze baby backs La Mirada General Cooking 13 11-06-2015 11:17 PM
Freezing baby backs? Bo Hica Barbecue 4 22-10-2006 10:19 PM
Speaking of Baby Backs Nonnymus Barbecue 10 29-05-2006 11:07 PM
baby backs vs spares frohe Barbecue 9 06-07-2005 03:20 AM
Baby Backs, 6 rax mtbchip Barbecue 0 03-12-2004 06:41 AM