Old 12-04-2011, 01:04 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

Default The Scoville Heat Scale - peppers

On Apr 12, 4:25*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
If you enjoy hot peppers, like me, but don't want to
burn up your mouth and insides, this site might be
of interest to you.

It lists numerous peppers along with the Scoville Heat
scale.

Bob-tx

???

I also like em sweet, but I chew on habaneros. Funny thing, I get the
taste of the pepper, before the sting.
Most from the store tend to be sour, and not really good. The good
ones you can taste and smell right away.
I got some ghost seeds growing downstairs.
Greg

Old 12-04-2011, 01:34 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gz wrote in news:35b02428-ffc3-447d-b92d-8ca303363fa3
@y26g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

On Apr 12, 4:25*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
If you enjoy hot peppers, like me, but don't want to
burn up your mouth and insides, this site might be
of interest to you.

It lists numerous peppers along with the Scoville Heat
scale.

Bob-tx

???

I also like em sweet, but I chew on habaneros. Funny thing, I get the
taste of the pepper, before the sting.
Most from the store tend to be sour, and not really good. The good
ones you can taste and smell right away.
I got some ghost seeds growing downstairs.
Greg

"THEY" may need to start a new labeling scheme on jalapenos some fool
decided they need the heat bred out of them and the big ones I'm getting
lately are just as sweet as bells if you avoid the seeds and ribs as you
would with bells.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:18 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote in
:

On 12 Apr 2011 00:34:21 GMT, Charly Horse wrote:

"THEY" may need to start a new labeling scheme on jalapenos some
fool
decided they need the heat bred out of them and the big ones I'm
getting lately are just as sweet as bells if you avoid the seeds and
ribs as you would with bells.

All the heat in all the peppers are stores in the membranes. There is
near zero heat in the rest of the pepper. If I want a mild pepper, I
take out the membranes. If I want a normal pepper, I just take out
the seeds or nothing at all.

Even the hottest jalapeno on earth could be fed to child if you cut
out the membranes.

-sw

I agree to the point the majority of capiscum is in ribs and seeds but
sure seems they are sweeter than used to be. Mebbe my knife skills have
improved but I can't recall ever casually cleaning a jalapeno to the
point it tastes like a bell will experiment tomorrow with a serrano
If i understand correctly Tx A&M started this research to to produce
a jalapeno with a standrad heat level instead of peppers that were up
amd down the scale and thus produced the TAM jalapeno
some guy in New Mexico got carried away?

Old 12-04-2011, 07:27 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

On Apr 11, 11:55*pm, Sqwertz wrote:
On 12 Apr 2011 02:18:02 GMT, Charly Horse wrote:

Sqwertz wrote in
:

[...]

The fresher the jalapeno, the easier it is to remove all the heat by
removing the membranes.

I've heard rumors that TAM's may be the standard jalapenos in markets
nowadays, but it would be likely it's the growing conditions. *Japs in
Texas are just as hot as they always were. *They don't mess with them
here - that's just for gringos.

Oh, wait - you are are in Texas, aren't you. *shrug.

TAMS were just developed by selective breeding, IIRC. *It's possible
that standard jalapenos are just losing their heat naturally.

-sw

Most I get from the store are mild or nothing, and I eat seeds.

Greg

Old 14-04-2011, 07:11 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

AAAAACCCKK!!! I killed the newsgroup!