Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Charly Horse Charly Horse is offline

Default The Scoville Heat Scale - peppers

Sqwertz > wrote in
:

> On 12 Apr 2011 00:34:21 GMT, Charly Horse wrote:
>
>> "THEY" may need to start a new labeling scheme on jalapenos some
>> fool
>> decided they need the heat bred out of them and the big ones I'm
>> getting lately are just as sweet as bells if you avoid the seeds and
>> ribs as you would with bells.

> All the heat in all the peppers are stores in the membranes. There is
> near zero heat in the rest of the pepper. If I want a mild pepper, I
> take out the membranes. If I want a normal pepper, I just take out
> the seeds or nothing at all.
>
> Even the hottest jalapeno on earth could be fed to child if you cut
> out the membranes.
>
> -sw

I agree to the point the majority of capiscum is in ribs and seeds but
sure seems they are sweeter than used to be. Mebbe my knife skills have
improved but I can't recall ever casually cleaning a jalapeno to the
point it tastes like a bell will experiment tomorrow with a serrano
If i understand correctly Tx A&M started this research to to produce
a jalapeno with a standrad heat level instead of peppers that were up
amd down the scale and thus produced the TAM jalapeno
some guy in New Mexico got carried away?