Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mustard Scoville ratings!??

Mustard Scoville ratings!??

Why hasn't it, shouldn't it be done??

Compared to hot peppers it might be a laughable idea.

I've made mustard that maybe halfway approached habanero heat. Way hotter
than jalapeno.

Mustards deserve Scoville ratings.

What say you BUMS!!!?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Mustard Scoville ratings!??
>
> Why hasn't it, shouldn't it be done??
>
> Compared to hot peppers it might be a laughable idea.
>
> I've made mustard that maybe halfway approached habanero heat. Way
> hotter than jalapeno.
>
> Mustards deserve Scoville ratings.
>
> What say you BUMS!!!?

That i agree with you. Sometimes I find a new "strong" or "very
strong" mustard and it usually is a delusion, only a "strong" from
austria or germany really kicks in: Winarom brand mustard. It's
wonderful in making eyes tear and sweat and pop open a closed nose.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 8, 7:19*am, Andy > wrote:
> Mustard Scoville ratings!??
>
> Why hasn't it, shouldn't it be done??
>
> Compared to hot peppers it might be a laughable idea.
>
> I've made mustard that maybe halfway approached habanero heat. Way hotter
> than jalapeno.
>
> Mustards deserve Scoville ratings.
>
> What say you BUMS!!!?
>
> Andy

Yeah - some mustards are hotter than ya might want - shud be some
warning or description on labels. e.g. Mister Mustard. I used it
once in something and almost made it inedible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Mustard Scoville ratings!??

Only at Philippe's in Los Angeles.....

http://www.philippes.com/

--
Dimitri
Coming soon:
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Mustard Scoville ratings!??
>
> Why hasn't it, shouldn't it be done??
>
> Compared to hot peppers it might be a laughable idea.
>
> I've made mustard that maybe halfway approached habanero heat. Way hotter
> than jalapeno.
>
> Mustards deserve Scoville ratings.
>
> What say you BUMS!!!?
>
> Andy

I think you and the other couple of responders have made an excellent point.

I don't think I've seen a heat scale for mustards.

Does anyone have a reference here?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 8, 9:01*am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Andy" > wrote in ...
> > Mustard Scoville ratings!??

> Only at Philippe's in Los Angeles.....
>
> http://www.philippes.com/
>
> --
> Dimitri
> Coming soon:http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

you're right...cleans the sinuses very nicely...i was there in
august. took the teenage sons of a friend, who have lived in the
suburbs all of their lives and needed to be exposed to the "big
city.". they loved it.

harried & critters
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco said...

> Andy wrote:
>
>> Mustard Scoville ratings!??
>>
>> Why hasn't it, shouldn't it be done??
>>
>> Compared to hot peppers it might be a laughable idea.
>>
>> I've made mustard that maybe halfway approached habanero heat. Way
>> hotter than jalapeno.
>>
>> Mustards deserve Scoville ratings.
>>
>> What say you BUMS!!!?

> That i agree with you. Sometimes I find a new "strong" or "very
> strong" mustard and it usually is a delusion, only a "strong" from
> austria or germany really kicks in: Winarom brand mustard. It's
> wonderful in making eyes tear and sweat and pop open a closed nose.

Vilco,

I've had the Phillipe's french dipped beef sandwich with their official
mustard.

I was trying to replicate it, so I knew the heat I was in for.

I mistakenly used a triple ground dry mustard for a clone mustard recipe I
found online.

After a liberal application, a half a sandwich later my scalp began to pour
sweat!!!!!!

http://i40.tinypic.com/14b5efq.jpg

Clockwise from top left: Au Jus, "POISON" mustard, imported provolone
cheese, soft rolls, roast beef.

Time passed and I regained some macho and claimed to myself "that was
AWESOME!!!!!!"

Who was I kidding?!!!!!

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia said...

> On Oct 8, 7:19*am, Andy > wrote:
>> Mustard Scoville ratings!??
>>
>> Why hasn't it, shouldn't it be done??
>>
>> Compared to hot peppers it might be a laughable idea.
>>
>> I've made mustard that maybe halfway approached habanero heat. Way

hotter
>> than jalapeno.
>>
>> Mustards deserve Scoville ratings.
>>
>> What say you BUMS!!!?
>>
>> Andy

> Yeah - some mustards are hotter than ya might want - shud be some
> warning or description on labels. e.g. Mister Mustard. I used it
> once in something and almost made it inedible.

Kalmia,

I ordered a roast beef sandwich from a 7-11 convenience store and for some
reason, I curiously asked for prepared horseradish as one of the toppings.

THAT can quite definitely be declared one of the biggest mistakes of my
adult life!!! ;-)

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message ...
>> Mustard Scoville ratings!??
>>

> Only at Philippe's in Los Angeles.....
>
> http://www.philippes.com/

Dimitri,

Yeppers!

We should meet up there!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 8, 10:00*am, Andy > wrote:
> Kalmia said...
>

> > On Oct 8, 7:19*am, Andy > wrote:
> >> Mustard Scoville ratings!??

> >> Why hasn't it, shouldn't it be done??

> >> Compared to hot peppers it might be a laughable idea.

> >> I've made mustard that maybe halfway approached habanero heat. Way

> hotter
> >> than jalapeno.

> >> Mustards deserve Scoville ratings.

> >> What say you BUMS!!!?

> >> Andy

> > Yeah - some mustards are hotter than ya might want - shud be some
> > warning or description on labels. *e.g. Mister Mustard. *I used it
> > once in something and almost made it inedible.

> Kalmia,
>
> I ordered a roast beef sandwich from a 7-11 convenience store and for some
> reason, I curiously asked for prepared horseradish as one of the toppings..
>
> THAT can quite definitely be declared one of the biggest mistakes of my
> adult life!!! ;-)
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

7-eleven's in the east are the only ones that make fresh sandwiches to
order. the west coast & other parts of the country get them fresh
every day (or are supposed to get them fresh every day)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 8, 9:31*am, Andy > wrote:
> ViLco said...
>

> > Andy wrote:

> >> Mustard Scoville ratings!??

> >> Why hasn't it, shouldn't it be done??

> >> Compared to hot peppers it might be a laughable idea.

> >> I've made mustard that maybe halfway approached habanero heat. Way
> >> hotter than jalapeno.

> >> Mustards deserve Scoville ratings.

> >> What say you BUMS!!!?

> > That i agree with you. Sometimes I find a new "strong" or "very
> > strong" mustard and it usually is a delusion, only a "strong" from
> > austria or germany really kicks in: Winarom brand mustard. It's
> > wonderful in making eyes tear and sweat and pop open a closed nose.

> Vilco,
>
> I've had the Phillipe's french dipped beef sandwich with their official
> mustard.
>
> I was trying to replicate it, so I knew the heat I was in for.
>
> I mistakenly used a triple ground dry mustard for a clone mustard recipe I
> found online.
>
> After a liberal application, a half a sandwich later my scalp began to pour
> sweat!!!!!!
>
> http://i40.tinypic.com/14b5efq.jpg
>
> Clockwise from top left: Au Jus, "POISON" mustard, imported provolone
> cheese, soft rolls, roast beef.
>
> Time passed and I regained some macho and claimed to myself "that was
> AWESOME!!!!!!"
>
> Who was I kidding?!!!!!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

i believe philippe's puts horse radish in their mustard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> On 8-Oct-2009, Andy > wrote:
>
>> Mustards deserve Scoville ratings.
>>
>> What say you BUMS!!!?
>>
>> Andy

> Perhaps you can make a name for yourself by publishing the numbers and,
> having come up with the idea, call the rating Andy-units rather than
> Scovilles.
>
> "Frenches yellow barely registers, at 10 on the Andy mustard rating scale".
> "White Castle's packets of Horseradish mustard register a paltry 22 on the
> Andy scale".
> etc.

Even if you chose to be derogatory, I've respected many of your posts
over the years.

Do you know of a "Scoville" type scale for mustard?

If not, you've just been rude for no reason.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l said...

> On 8-Oct-2009, Andy > wrote:
>
>> Mustards deserve Scoville ratings.
>>
>> What say you BUMS!!!?
>>
>> Andy

> Perhaps you can make a name for yourself by publishing the numbers and,
> having come up with the idea, call the rating Andy-units rather than
> Scovilles.
>
> "Frenches yellow barely registers, at 10 on the Andy mustard rating

scale".
> "White Castle's packets of Horseradish mustard register a paltry 22 on

the
> Andy scale".
> etc.

l, not -l

Heh heh heh heh heh!

It's probably best left to the Scoville group.

But thanks for the kind "put Andy back to work, please?!!" thoughts! LOL!!!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie said...

> Even if you chose to be derogatory, I've respected many of your posts
> over the years.
>

> Do you know of a "Scoville" type scale for mustard?
>
> If not, you've just been rude for no reason.
>
> Bob

Bob,.

I'd ask that you fight your battles and let me fight mine.

l, not -l is a good man. I have no qualms about him in all these years.

Thank you.

Andy

--
I don't play games people play
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:

>>> Perhaps you can make a name for yourself by publishing the numbers and,
>>> having come up with the idea, call the rating Andy-units rather than
>>> Scovilles.
>>>
>>> "Frenches yellow barely registers, at 10 on the Andy mustard rating
>>> scale".
>>> "White Castle's packets of Horseradish mustard register a paltry 22 on
>>> the
>>> Andy scale".
>>> etc.

>> Even if you chose to be derogatory, I've respected many of your posts
>> over the years.
>>

>> Do you know of a "Scoville" type scale for mustard?
>>
>> If not, you've just been rude for no reason.
>>
>> Bob

> I do not know of a scale for ranking mustards.
>
> Rudeness was not the intent of the post, nor do I quite understand how it
> could have been interpreted that way. The Scoville scale is named for the
> guy, Wilbur Scoville, that came up with the idea to rank the "heat" of
> chilis; I was merely suggesting Andy could do the same for mustard; how is
> that rude? I used his first name rather than last as the name of the scale
> because that is all I know; again, no intent to be rude. The only other
> part of my post was a couple of demonstration rankings to illustrate how it
> might work.
>
> Rudeness is, I suppose, in the eye of the beholder; but, there was none
> intended on my part.

I'm sorry for being quick to judge.

I'd buy you the next beer if you were local to me.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Bob Muncie said...
>
>> Even if you chose to be derogatory, I've respected many of your posts
>> over the years.
>>

>> Do you know of a "Scoville" type scale for mustard?
>>
>> If not, you've just been rude for no reason.
>>
>> Bob

> Bob,.
>
> I'd ask that you fight your battles and let me fight mine.
>
> l, not -l is a good man. I have no qualms about him in all these years.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Andy

I guess I was about 3 minutes late in responding... But just so you know
Andy, I also sent a PM before the other post. I was in the wrong.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Bob Muncie said...
>>
>>> Even if you chose to be derogatory, I've respected many of your posts
>>> over the years.
>>>

>>> Do you know of a "Scoville" type scale for mustard?
>>>
>>> If not, you've just been rude for no reason.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Bob,.
>>
>> I'd ask that you fight your battles and let me fight mine.
>>
>> l, not -l is a good man. I have no qualms about him in all these years.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Andy
>>

> I guess I was about 3 minutes late in responding... But just so you know
> Andy, I also sent a PM before the other post. I was in the wrong.
>
> Bob

Bob,

Thanks!

Thankfully nobody's perfect 100% of the time! :-)

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Bob Muncie said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> Bob Muncie said...

>>> Bob,.
>>>
>>> I'd ask that you fight your battles and let me fight mine.
>>>
>>> l, not -l is a good man. I have no qualms about him in all these years.
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>> I guess I was about 3 minutes late in responding... But just so you know
>> Andy, I also sent a PM before the other post. I was in the wrong.
>>
>> Bob

> Bob,
>
> Thanks!
>
> Thankfully nobody's perfect 100% of the time! :-)
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Thanks Andy.

You will find no shortage of people that will call me an idiot in this
news group.

But I will say those that have been kind to me are appreciated, and I
have much fondness for them.

Just so you know? I wish there was more food talk, and less people
issues here.

I will try harder to not be one of those issues.

Regards, and have a nice night.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Dimitri said...
>

>> "Andy" > wrote in message
>>> Mustard Scoville ratings!??
>>>

>> Only at Philippe's in Los Angeles.....
>>
>> http://www.philippes.com/

> Dimitri,
>
> Yeppers!
>
> We should meet up there!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Let me know when you're going to be in town - I'll see if our schedule
matches.

I not down in LA as often as I used to be.

--
Dimitri
Coming soon:
http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote on Thu, 8 Oct 2009 08:45:37 -0700 (PDT):

> On Oct 8, 7:19 am, Andy > wrote:
>> Mustard Scoville ratings!??
>>
>> Why hasn't it, shouldn't it be done??
>>
>> Compared to hot peppers it might be a laughable idea.
>>
>> I've made mustard that maybe halfway approached habanero
>> heat. Way hotter than jalapeno.
>>
>> Mustards deserve Scoville ratings.

Mustard made from mustard powder does have different degrees of pungency
depending on how it is made.

1 Made with water, becomes more pungent over a period of 20 minutes or
more. Different brands of mustard powder also differ.

2. Made with vinegar, somewhat less pungent.

3. Made with milk, least pungent.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> Mustard Scoville ratings!??
>
> Why hasn't it, shouldn't it be done??
>
> Compared to hot peppers it might be a laughable idea.
>
> I've made mustard that maybe halfway approached habanero heat. Way hotter
> than jalapeno.
>
> Mustards deserve Scoville ratings.
>
> What say you BUMS!!!?

I'm pretty sure that Scoville units measure the amount of capsaicin
present.

I'm pretty sure that the "hot" of mustard has nothing to do with
capsaicin -- in fact, I don't think mustard has any.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ]>,
isw > wrote:

> In article >, Andy > wrote:

> > Mustards deserve Scoville ratings.

> I'm pretty sure that Scoville units measure the amount of capsaicin
> present.

Sort of. It's actually a taste test, but people have measured the
amount of capsaicin and found that it correlated pretty well with
Scoville units.

http://ushotstuff.com/Heat.Scale.htm

The above says that they use chemical testing now, rather than taste
tests, although it is still called Scoville units.

> I'm pretty sure that the "hot" of mustard has nothing to do with
> capsaicin -- in fact, I don't think mustard has any.

Yeah, it's a different substance and works differently.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA