Shaun aRe

Default 16 *million* scoville units?

(CC'd to the Chile-Heads list!)

Only one way to open this message, and that is: *WTF?!?!?!?*

http://www.theage.com.au/text/articl...0.html?oneclic
k=true

'Blair Lazar strikes again'. Sheer madness if you ask me though,
heheheheheh...

Would any of you even consider even *letting this stuff into your house*? I
mean, I'm a chilehead, and I'd kick anyone out who tried to bring any in
LOL!

',;~}~

Shaun aRe - crazy world...
--
May all your wishes be both wise and fulfilled.

Pierre

Shaun aRe wrote:
> (CC'd to the Chile-Heads list!)
>
> Only one way to open this message, and that is: *WTF?!?!?!?*

http://www.theage.com.au/text/articl...0.html?oneclic
> k=true
>

> 'Blair Lazar strikes again'. Sheer madness if you ask me though,
> heheheheheh...
>
> Would any of you even consider even *letting this stuff into your

house*? I
> mean, I'm a chilehead, and I'd kick anyone out who tried to bring any

in
> LOL!
>

> ',;~}~

How about posting it, so we don't all have to register.

Pierre

AlleyGator

"Shaun aRe" > wrote:

>Would any of you even consider even *letting this stuff into your house*? I
>mean, I'm a chilehead, and I'd kick anyone out who tried to bring any in
>LOL!

I remember watching, on FoodTV a few months ago, some kind of
tournament where the object was to ingest some kind of multi-million
Scoville unit worth's of hot sauce. Freakin' pyscohitic idiots, imo.
I love hot stuff, but OMG, let's be realistic, eh? My son's old
girlfriend stood right in my own kitchen, picked up a ripe Halepeno
pepper, popped the thing in her mouth, chewed it up and never even
blinked. I thought right then, not only is she a freakin babe, but
she's tough to boot. Well, the idiot dumped her and now at age 18,
she looks like a freakin supermodel, and he couldn't get her back for
all the money in world. And, somehow, I find immense satsisfaction in
that. DUMMY, I TRIED TO TELL YA!

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Shaun aRe

"Pierre" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Shaun aRe wrote:
> > (CC'd to the Chile-Heads list!)
> >
> > Only one way to open this message, and that is: *WTF?!?!?!?*

http://www.theage.com.au/text/articl...0.html?oneclic
> > k=true
> >

> > 'Blair Lazar strikes again'. Sheer madness if you ask me though,
> > heheheheheh...
> >
> > Would any of you even consider even *letting this stuff into your

> house*? I
> > mean, I'm a chilehead, and I'd kick anyone out who tried to bring any

> in
> > LOL!
> >

> > ',;~}~
> >

> How about posting it, so we don't all have to register.
>
> Pierre

Sorry about that - it doesn't do that when you pick it up directly from a
google search for some reason, so I had no clue until a minute ago!

Here it is!:

Frying sauces from outer spice
Date: May 9 2005

By James Langton
New York

"We live in an extreme world," says Blair Lazar, a hot sauce creator. "And I
make extreme foods."

Mr Lazar is the creator of the hottest spice in the world, an ultra-refined
version of chilli powder so fiery that customers must sign a waiver
absolving him of any liability if they are foolish enough to try it. Locked
in a sealed flask, Mr Lazar's mouth-blistering concoction is pure
capsaicin - the chemical that gives habanero and jalapeno peppers their
thermonuclear heat.

His "16 Million Reserve", which is released to the public this week, is the
holy grail of hot sauces, the hottest that chemistry can create.

It is 30 times hotter than the spiciest pepper, the red savina from Mexico,
and 8000 times stronger than Tabasco sauce.

To put the tiniest speck on the tip of your tongue is to experience "pure
heat", Mr Lazar says.

Although capsaicin does not actually burn - it fools your brain into
thinking that you are in pain by stimulating nerve endings in your mouth -
some medical experts believe that it could kill an asthmatic or badly affect
someone who touched his eyes or other sensitive parts of the anatomy.

Mr Lazar has trained his palate to endure the sensation, but he remembers
the moment he dared to taste his "16 Million Reserve".

"The pain was exquisite," he said. "It was like having your tongue hit with
a hammer. Man, it hurt. My tongue swelled up and it hurt like hell for
days." Each of the 999 limited-edition bottles, priced at $US199 ($A265),
contains just a few crystals.

But the powder is so strong that Mr Lazar says it would have to be dissolved
in thousands of litres of water before it could no longer be tasted.

His career as a hot sauce creator began when he found that the best way to
clear drunks out of his seaside bar was to give them free chicken wings
dipped in an eye-watering home-made hot sauce.

Now he runs Extreme Foods in New Jersey, selling his existing range,
including "Mega Death" and "Jersey Death", the latter, according to Mr
Lazar, being the world's hottest usable condiment.

It takes several tonnes of fresh peppers to produce a kilogram of capsaicin
for the 16 Million Reserve, and the work takes months.

Buyers have to sign a disclaimer warning that any handling must be under a
controlled environment, using protective gloves and safety eye wear.

"It shouldn't be used for flavour," says Mr Lazar. "The only function is its
heat value."

- Telegraph

Hope that helps!

',;~}~

Shaun aRe
--
Life is the dream you wake up to.

Shaun aRe

"AlleyGator" > wrote in message
> "Shaun aRe" > wrote:
>
> >Would any of you even consider even *letting this stuff into your house*?

> >mean, I'm a chilehead, and I'd kick anyone out who tried to bring any in
> >LOL!

BTW, I just posted the story (it's pure capsaicin, BTW) as I heard the link
was asking for you to join to see it.

> I remember watching, on FoodTV a few months ago, some kind of
> tournament where the object was to ingest some kind of multi-million
> Scoville unit worth's of hot sauce. Freakin' pyscohitic idiots, imo.
> I love hot stuff, but OMG, let's be realistic, eh?

Maybe, but, why not let people indulge in macho fun if that's what they get
their kicks from?

> My son's old
> girlfriend stood right in my own kitchen, picked up a ripe Halepeno
> pepper, popped the thing in her mouth, chewed it up and never even
> blinked.

Holy****ingshitgobblers! I row the things, eat them quite a bit, a small
slice would have me more than blinking... yikes...

> I thought right then, not only is she a freakin babe, but
> she's tough to boot. Well, the idiot dumped her and now at age 18,
> she looks like a freakin supermodel, and he couldn't get her back for
> all the money in world. And, somehow, I find immense satsisfaction in
> that. DUMMY, I TRIED TO TELL YA!

D'oh!

Maybe, on the other hand, her being THAT bloody tough, he narrowly escaped
someone destined to become the ball buster of all ball busters though?!?!?
Heheheheh...

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

cathyxyz

Shaun aRe wrote:

> 'Blair Lazar strikes again'. Sheer madness if you ask me though,
> heheheheheh...
>
> Would any of you even consider even *letting this stuff into your house*? I
> mean, I'm a chilehead, and I'd kick anyone out who tried to bring any in
> LOL!
>

> ',;~}~

ROFL Not unless I was also crazy enough to sit in a tub of
rattlesnakes!!! Maybe it was something for "Ripley's"??
jmcquown

Shaun aRe wrote:
> "Pierre" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>

> "It shouldn't be used for flavour," says Mr Lazar. "The only function
> is its heat value."

And so then what's the point? I like a bit of spice as much (okay, maybe
more) than the next person but I don't understand people who pile on "heat"
without taste. And this dude has way too much time on his hands.

Jill

AlleyGator

"Shaun aRe" > wrote:

BTW, Shaun, that was supposed to be "habenero" not Jalepeno. Anyway,
I guess it makes a big difference. Yeah, the girl ate one of those
round orange suckers and didn't even blink. Amazing.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Pierre

jmcquown wrote:
> Shaun aRe wrote:
> > "Pierre" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> >>

> > "It shouldn't be used for flavour," says Mr Lazar. "The only

function
> > is its heat value."
> >

> And so then what's the point? I like a bit of spice as much (okay,

maybe
> more) than the next person but I don't understand people who pile on

"heat"
> without taste. And this dude has way too much time on his hands.
>
> Jill

Jill, the stuff actually has a use. While not usually for sale to the
general public, some vendors of "pure cap" will only sell to
manufacturers of other food products, while incorporating this stuff as
an ingredient. Some sauce makers desire the sensation of "hot" added
to their preparation of bbq sauces, dips and glazes, without having the
taste of a pepper conflict with their desired flavor. As we've read, a
little can go a long way. For the uninitiated, a scoville unit is the
number of times that the sensation of heat would have to be diluted
before it's no longer noticeable. In this case, 16 million times. You
basic jalapeno, ranks at about 20,000 depending on who's chart you
believe.

Oh, and thanks for posting the read.
Pierre

Arri London

Shaun aRe wrote:
<snip>

> It takes several tonnes of fresh peppers to produce a kilogram of capsaicin
> for the 16 Million Reserve, and the work takes months.
>
> Buyers have to sign a disclaimer warning that any handling must be under a
> controlled environment, using protective gloves and safety eye wear.
>
> "It shouldn't be used for flavour," says Mr Lazar. "The only function is its
> heat value."
>
> - Telegraph
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> ',;~}~
>
> Shaun aRe

Waste of time. But pharmaceutical companies have been purifying
capsaicin for years to put into those muscle rubs so Lazar isn't doing
anything new or original.

Bob (this one)

Pierre wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>>Shaun aRe wrote:
>>
>>>"Pierre" > wrote in message
groups.com...

>>>"It shouldn't be used for flavour," says Mr Lazar. "The only

> function
>
>>>is its heat value."
>>>

>>And so then what's the point? I like a bit of spice as much (okay,

> maybe
>
>>more) than the next person but I don't understand people who pile on

> "heat"
>
>>without taste. And this dude has way too much time on his hands.
>>
>>Jill

> Jill, the stuff actually has a use. While not usually for sale to the
> general public, some vendors of "pure cap" will only sell to
> manufacturers of other food products, while incorporating this stuff as
> an ingredient. Some sauce makers desire the sensation of "hot" added
> to their preparation of bbq sauces, dips and glazes, without having the
> taste of a pepper conflict with their desired flavor. As we've read, a
> little can go a long way. For the uninitiated, a scoville unit is the
> number of times that the sensation of heat would have to be diluted
> before it's no longer noticeable. In this case, 16 million times. You
> basic jalapeno, ranks at about 20,000 depending on who's chart you
> believe.

"The pungency of chili peppers is measured in multiples of 100 units,
from the bell pepper at zero Scoville units to the incendiary Habanero
at 300,000 Scoville units! One part of chile "heat" per 1,000,000 drops
of water rates as only 1.5 Scoville Units."

"0-100 Scoville Units includes most Bell/Sweet pepper varieties.
500-1000 Scoville Units includes New Mexican peppers.
1,000-1,500 Scoville Units includes Espanola peppers.
1,000-2,000 Scoville Units includes Ancho & Pasilla peppers.
1,000-2,500 Scoville Units includes Cascabel & Cherry peppers.
2,500-5,000 Scoville Units includes Jalapeno & Mirasol peppers.
5,000-15,000 Scoville Units includes Serrano peppers.
15,000-30,000 Scoville Units includes de Arbol peppers.
30,000-50,000 Scoville Units includes Cayenne & Tabasco peppers.
50,000-100,000 Scoville Units includes Chiltepin peppers
100,000-350,000 Scoville Units includes Scotch Bonnet & Thai peppers.
200,000 to 300,000 Scoville Units includes Habanero peppers.
Around 16,000,000 Scoville Units is Pure Capsaicin."
<http://www.egconsult.com/Scoville.htm>

Pastorio
Shaun aRe

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Shaun aRe wrote:
> > "Pierre" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> >>

> > "It shouldn't be used for flavour," says Mr Lazar. "The only function
> > is its heat value."
> >

> And so then what's the point?

As a curiosity for chile-heads and nothing more, is what I'd say.

> I like a bit of spice as much (okay, maybe
> more) than the next person but I don't understand people who pile on

"heat"
> without taste. And this dude has way too much time on his hands.

It's his passion and hobby, as well as his business - way too much time on
his hands? The guy is making a fiiiine living out of having way too much
time on his hands ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Shaun aRe wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > It takes several tonnes of fresh peppers to produce a kilogram of

capsaicin
> > for the 16 Million Reserve, and the work takes months.
> >
> > Buyers have to sign a disclaimer warning that any handling must be under

> > controlled environment, using protective gloves and safety eye wear.
> >
> > "It shouldn't be used for flavour," says Mr Lazar. "The only function is

its
> > heat value."
> >
> > - Telegraph
> >
> > Hope that helps!
> >
> > ',;~}~
> >
> > Shaun aRe

> Waste of time.

Really? The guy has a busness making and selling chile products. This will
raise the profile of his buisness, as well as bring in money directly from
sales of this stuff. Also, there's heat loving chile-heads out there that
would buy this just as a display cupboard curiosity, a conversation piece.

> But pharmaceutical companies have been purifying
> capsaicin for years to put into those muscle rubs so Lazar isn't doing
> anything new or original.

Marketing it to the public this way is most certainly very new and original.

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"AlleyGator" > wrote in message
> "Shaun aRe" > wrote:
>
> BTW, Shaun, that was supposed to be "habenero" not Jalepeno. Anyway,
> I guess it makes a big difference. Yeah, the girl ate one of those
> round orange suckers and didn't even blink. Amazing.

Don't worry - I knew you meant habanero alright - That's why I didn't bother
to question what you'd written.

Amazing indeed - I have done this, at different times I've eaten a hab, a
Caribbean Red, Jamaica Red Hot, Scotch Bonnet (all chinense (sp) varieties,
closely related, and pretty much the same heat), but I have been in immense
pain each time, and there's no way I could have hidden it - sweating
profusely from top of head to bottom of feet, tears and snot streaming down
my purple-red face, howls of a wounded demon bellowing out of my mouth,
dancing as if on hot coals and 3 hours overdue a ****! Like I said, even a
slice of fresh hab kicks my butt...

Maybe she's part bird? Heheheheh...

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> Shaun aRe wrote:
>

> > 'Blair Lazar strikes again'. Sheer madness if you ask me though,
> > heheheheheh...
> >
> > Would any of you even consider even *letting this stuff into your

house*? I
> > mean, I'm a chilehead, and I'd kick anyone out who tried to bring any in
> > LOL!
> >

> > ',;~}~

> ROFL Not unless I was also crazy enough to sit in a tub of
> rattlesnakes!!!

Given the choice - rattlesnakes everytime (says Shaun as he calmly munches
on a sausage sandwich laced with lashings of veryhotsauce he made from his
own-grown Caribbean Red Habanero chiles) ',;~}~

> Maybe it was something for "Ripley's"??

Heheheh, maybe!

I got a message from Jim (he's on the chile-heads list I cc'd the OP to - he
own Mild to Wild chile products co.) after I posted this - he said he'd
sourced some pure cap. from a chem. co. some time ago, and gave it a try at
one of the chile-heads get-togethers - very hot, yes he said, but it didn't
kick his butt near as much as fresh habs and hot hab sauces do, for some
strange reason?!?

Oh well!

Shaun aRe

AlleyGator

"Shaun aRe" > wrote:

>Amazing indeed - I have done this, at different times I've eaten a hab, a
>Caribbean Red, Jamaica Red Hot, Scotch Bonnet (all chinense (sp) varieties,
>closely related, and pretty much the same heat), but I have been in immense
>pain each time, and there's no way I could have hidden it - sweating
>profusely from top of head to bottom of feet, tears and snot streaming down
>my purple-red face, howls of a wounded demon bellowing out of my mouth,
>dancing as if on hot coals and 3 hours overdue a ****! Like I said, even a
>slice of fresh hab kicks my butt...

But Shaun - how on earth can you do this? Some kind of Zen
pain-relief method or what? <G> I like some heat, but that's just
insane.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Shaun aRe

"AlleyGator" > wrote in message
> "Shaun aRe" > wrote:
>
> >Amazing indeed - I have done this, at different times I've eaten a hab, a
> >Caribbean Red, Jamaica Red Hot, Scotch Bonnet (all chinense (sp)

varieties,
> >closely related, and pretty much the same heat), but I have been in

immense
> >pain each time, and there's no way I could have hidden it - sweating
> >profusely from top of head to bottom of feet, tears and snot streaming

down
> >my purple-red face, howls of a wounded demon bellowing out of my mouth,
> >dancing as if on hot coals and 3 hours overdue a ****! Like I said, even

> >slice of fresh hab kicks my butt...

> But Shaun - how on earth can you do this? Some kind of Zen
> pain-relief method or what? <G>

If you saw some of my scars... heh...

> I like some heat, but that's...

...."just insane."

I think you may just have unwittingly answered your own question ',;~}~

I do not and will not do this anymore mind you - I've had my share of 'fun'
now! One thing though, if you actually embrace the pain, something bizarre
happens after a while - you get a huge rush, and the world goes a funny,
wobbly colour, and you sorta, start to enjoy it, heheheheh... until some
hours later when the gift gives a second time, IYSWIM - now that, no amount
of embracing can help with... no, no more of that for me... NOOOOOOO!!!!!

Shaun aRe - (TMI warning!) Coined the phrase 'Anal Volcano' during just such
a moment (/TMI warning).

AlleyGator

"Shaun aRe" > wrote:

Pot seems to be considerably cheaper, and a lot more fun, eh?

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Shaun aRe

"AlleyGator" > wrote in message
> "Shaun aRe" > wrote:
>
> Pot seems to be considerably cheaper, and a lot more fun, eh?

Indude, deed.

',;~}~

Shaun aRe - *And* pot never singed my arse hairs.