no one

Default Chestnut Puree

Hello, all. Does anyone have a recipe on how to make chestnut puree? More so
on the sweet kind, as I will be using this for a dessert. I can't seem to
find the puree around where I live, and I find that some catalogs are
overpriced for this product. Thanks in advance!

Arri London

no one wrote:

> Hello, all. Does anyone have a recipe on how to make chestnut puree? More so
> on the sweet kind, as I will be using this for a dessert. I can't seem to
> find the puree around where I live, and I find that some catalogs are
> overpriced for this product. Thanks in advance!

Have only done this once long ago, as the puree was always available and
cheap.

The shells need to be pierced or slit before any cooking method, to
prevent explosions!
Bake the chestnuts at about 400 F for a few minutes, until the peels
start to open more. Peel and skin them while they are still warm; gets
too hard when they are cooled.

Take the whole chestnuts (about a pound, 500 gr) and simmer slowly them
in milk (about 2 cups, 500 ml) with a vanilla pod and sugar (about 3/4
cup, or 170 g) until the chestnuts are tender and milk is absorbed. This
takes time, about an hour or so.

Let the chestnuts cool and puree them through a couple of sieves or a
Mouli. If it looks too dry, add a bit more milk, cream or water.

For unsweetened puree, cook without the vanilla or sugar.
I Love Tarts

I get mine in France, I go shopping to Calais every eight weeks. It's
a lot cheaper than london.

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 18:29:37 GMT, "no one"
> wrote:

>Hello, all. Does anyone have a recipe on how to make chestnut puree? More so
>on the sweet kind, as I will be using this for a dessert. I can't seem to
>find the puree around where I live, and I find that some catalogs are
>overpriced for this product. Thanks in advance!

Arri London

I Love Tarts wrote:

> I get mine in France, I go shopping to Calais every eight weeks. It's
> a lot cheaper than london.
>
> On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 18:29:37 GMT, "no one"
> > wrote:
>
> >Hello, all. Does anyone have a recipe on how to make chestnut puree? More so
> >on the sweet kind, as I will be using this for a dessert. I can't seem to
> >find the puree around where I live, and I find that some catalogs are
> >overpriced for this product. Thanks in advance!

True, but when I lived in London, I didn't have time to shop in
Calais/Boulogne more than once or twice a year.
But the 99 pence I paid for a 500 g tin of French chestnut puree wasn't
a lot of money!

chestnut cider pie birdbeth Vegetarian cooking 1 01-12-2013 10:35 PM
Chestnut pudding, Anne General Cooking 0 20-06-2007 04:41 PM
Chestnut dumplings Pandora General Cooking 46 30-07-2005 12:46 AM
Chestnut Flour seacrest General Cooking 5 16-01-2005 12:21 AM
Chestnut ideas elaine General Cooking 10 10-01-2005 12:12 AM