Alan S

Default Whats The Best Rib Recipe?

For some reason ribs are a challenge for me. What is a spectacular recipe
and how should I cook them to get equally spectacular results. I have a
medium sized smoker with an offset firebox and I am tired of feeding my ribs
to the dog. (The dog on the other hand is always happy when I am cooking
ribs, but he obviously doesn't have any taste. He even eats them without a
cold beer to wash the awful things down with) When I cook ribs they are
either a chewing exercise or mouth tanning dry, depending on what ever
cooking procedure I am screwing up at the time. Please help.

Thanks,

- A -

Douglas Barber

Alan S wrote:

> For some reason ribs are a challenge for me. What is a spectacular recipe
> and how should I cook them to get equally spectacular results. I have a
> medium sized smoker with an offset firebox and I am tired of feeding my ribs
> to the dog. (The dog on the other hand is always happy when I am cooking
> ribs, but he obviously doesn't have any taste. He even eats them without a
> cold beer to wash the awful things down with) When I cook ribs they are
> either a chewing exercise or mouth tanning dry, depending on what ever
> cooking procedure I am screwing up at the time. Please help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - A -

Are you cooking spares or baby backs?
If spares, are you cooking them with the thick brisket bone section
trimmed off, or with the slab untrimmed, the way it came in the cryovac?
At about what temps, and for about how long?

That info will help "process your request"

Jack Curry

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> For some reason ribs are a challenge for me. What is a spectacular recipe
> and how should I cook them to get equally spectacular results. I have a
> medium sized smoker with an offset firebox and I am tired of feeding my

ribs
> to the dog. (The dog on the other hand is always happy when I am cooking
> ribs, but he obviously doesn't have any taste. He even eats them without a
> cold beer to wash the awful things down with) When I cook ribs they are
> either a chewing exercise or mouth tanning dry, depending on what ever
> cooking procedure I am screwing up at the time. Please help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - A -

Read the FAQ, it'll tell you exactly how to cook great ribs. Then all you
have to do is practice.
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq/toc.html

Jack Curry

Ricky

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> For some reason ribs are a challenge for me. What is a spectacular recipe
> and how should I cook them to get equally spectacular results. I have a
> medium sized smoker with an offset firebox and I am tired of feeding my

ribs
> to the dog. (The dog on the other hand is always happy when I am cooking
> ribs, but he obviously doesn't have any taste. He even eats them without a
> cold beer to wash the awful things down with) When I cook ribs they are
> either a chewing exercise or mouth tanning dry, depending on what ever
> cooking procedure I am screwing up at the time. Please help.

Click he http://www.fawnridge.com/ricky/rub.txt

Nathan Lau

Alan S wrote:
> For some reason ribs are a challenge for me. What is a spectacular recipe
> and how should I cook them to get equally spectacular results. I have a
> medium sized smoker with an offset firebox and I am tired of feeding my ribs
> to the dog. (The dog on the other hand is always happy when I am cooking
> ribs, but he obviously doesn't have any taste. He even eats them without a
> cold beer to wash the awful things down with) When I cook ribs they are
> either a chewing exercise or mouth tanning dry, depending on what ever
> cooking procedure I am screwing up at the time. Please help.

I have had a lot of raves when I do the BRITU recipe

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html

I don't go all the way and sauce the ribs before serving. Leave the
sauce on the side.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

"Alan S" > wrote:
> For some reason ribs are a challenge for me. What is a spectacular recipe
> and how should I cook them to get equally spectacular results. I have a
> medium sized smoker with an offset firebox and I am tired of feeding my
> ribs to the dog. (The dog on the other hand is always happy when I am
> cooking ribs, but he obviously doesn't have any taste. He even eats them
> without a cold beer to wash the awful things down with) When I cook ribs
> they are either a chewing exercise or mouth tanning dry, depending on
> what ever cooking procedure I am screwing up at the time. Please help.

Alan, you might consider these, the third one (Hound's) is the one ta
study:

Beef Short Ribs I made September 28, 2000

Marinade

2 cups soy sauce
2 cup Jack Daniels
1 cup Sriracha sauce
½ cup oyster sauce
juice of 2 lemons
16 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped fine
2 tablespoon black pepper, ground
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, ground
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon white pepper, ground

5 to 6 pounds bone-in beef short ribs, cut between the ribs

The night before the barbecue, combine all marinade ingredients,
except the Jack Daniels, in a lidded quart jar, adjust all
quantities to taste, then mix in the Jack Daniels and let it sit
overnight. The next morning, put the ribs in a plastic bag and pour
the marinade over them. Tie the bag closed. Turn the meat every ½
hour while you’re getting the smoker ready.

Prepare the smoker for barbecuing, bringing the temperature up to
200° to 220° F. Remove the ribs from the plastic bag and pour the
marinade into a saucepan. Transfer the ribs to the smoker, fatty
side up. Add wood chips or chunks to the fire box to add smoke for
the first hour. Bring the marinade to a boil then reduce the heat
to low and keep it well below a simmer. Cook the ribs for 4 to 5
hours or until 150° to 155° F. inside, mopping every hour with the
marinade.

Remove the ribs from the smoker and let them rest for around 10
minutes. While they’re resting, add some ketchup and a little honey
to the remaining marinade and use it as a dip.

Serves 6.

********************************

Smoked Short Ribs

4 pounds beef plate short ribs
10 1/2 ounce condensed tomato soup
3/4 cup Marsala wine
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoon EVOO
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon celery seed

In a covered grill, place low coals on both sides of a drip pan. Sprinkle
coals with some wood chips or chunks. Place ribs bone side down on grill.
Replace cover. Cook ribs until done, about 1 1/2-2 hours, adding more wood
chips every half hour.

Meanwhile, in saucepan, mix tomato soup, wine, onion, EVOO,
mustard, chili powder, paprika, celery seed and 1/4 tsp. salt. Heat
sauce at side of grill. Brush ribs with sauce. Grill, uncovered, about
20 minutes more; brush ribs frequently with sauce.

*****************************

This was recently published in "The Chaotic Kitchen"
(Please excuse any typos that I made)

We'll always remember ya, Cuch.

Real Barbecue Spare Ribs
Cuchulain Libby

Texas, USA

Barbecue does not include foil or crockpots and bbq sauce is to be served
at the table. Good barbecue ribs simply do not require and are not
improved by sauce. As for rubs, I submit a recipe to get you started but
salt and pepper work fine and you should find a mixture you like with salt
and pepper as the main ingredients and the rest as flavorings. Not all of
us have nor want a cinder block lined hole in the ground with a bedspring
as the grill or a $1000 steel plate 3-chamber log burner (what I cook in).
Adequate bbq is easily made in a $30 Brinkman H2O Smoker or a Weber kettle.
It cannot be replicated in one's kitchen. Nor is it a "recipe", it really
is a technique. Some define it as poor cuts of meat that, when subjected to
the proper combination of time and smoke, become sublime. That works for
me. As for fuel, a small hot fire is better than a large smoldering one.
The smoke should be wispy and blue, not billowing clouds and if you see
dark smoke, you are choking it. In order of preference is hardwood logs,
hardwood chunks, lump, and lastly briquettes and chips.

1 rack pork spare ribs, 3 ½ pounds or less, ideally.

1 cup Barbecue Rub

Yellow Mustard (optional)

Barbecue rub:

½ cup Kosher Salt

½ cup fresh ground black pepper

¼ cup brown sugar (optional)

½ cup good Paprika

1/3 cup onion/garlic powder

1/3 cup good chili powder or favorite ground chile powder

1 Tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning

1 Tablespoon roasted/ground each of cumin and coriander seeds

1 Tablespoon Coleman's dry mustard

1 teaspoon cayenne

Method:

Let the ribs come to room temperature and start the fire. Rinse and dry
rack. Trim flap and small end if desired. With the end of a spoon, lift
off part of the membrane, grab with a paper towel and pull off as much as
you can. Slather the ribs with some mustard. Don't fret about the flavor,
it's just the mortar to hold the rub. I use a big spice jar with the
perforated lid as a shaker to apply the rub. If you forego the mustard,
just spoon on the rub and lightly press it into the meat. Both sides in
either case. When the temperature is stabilized in the pit, about 225* F,
place ribs bone side up and cook approximately five hours.

If you use a kettle: Bank the coals to one half with a single layer on the
other half. Put the ribs on the hot side and cook for about ½ hour turning
often then put the ribs on the cool side, place the lid so the vents are
over the ribs and cook about an hour. You may have to add more coals to
the hot side. For fuel, lump is OK, as are chunks. A chimney starter can
be used to pre-burn the coals for adding during a session.

To test for doneness, grab one end and try to fold the ribs in half, if
they fold easily let rest for a few minutes and enjoy.

Hound

************************

Next two are Asian, Ribs, but NOT Q!

Steamed Spareribs in Black Bean Sauce

1 pound small extra-lean spareribs
2 tablespoons fermented black beans
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons oil
Seasonings:
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon tapioca powder
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons pale dry sherry
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

This is a Cantonese country dish.

Have butcher cut the spareribs crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Rinse and
drain, then pat dry with paper towels. Put ribs in a bowl and add the
seasonings. Mix, then let sit at room temperature for at least 10 minutes.

Rinse the black beans, and combine with garlic in a small bowl. Crush beans
with the handle of a cleaver into a paste, then stir in the oil. Add bean
mixture to spareribs and blend well.

Transfer ribs to an 8-inch dish with a 1-inch-high rim. Steam spareribs
over high heat for 20 minutes, then serve hot.

Serves 3 with rice, vegetable, and a thick soup
Time 15 minutes preparation
10 minutes resting
20 minutes cooking

Everything You Want To Know About Chinese Cooking by Pearl Kong Chen, Tien
Chi Chen, Rose Tseng

Steamed Spareribs in Plum Sauce

1 pound small extra-lean spareribs
2 tablespoons brown bean paste (whole bean)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 pitted preserved plums
1 red chili pepper (optional)
2 tablespoons oil
Seasonings:
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon tapioca powder
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons pale dry sherry
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Plum sauce goes well with two Cantonese steamed dishes: spareribs and
goose.

Have butcher cut the spareribs crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Rinse and
drain, then pat dry with paper towels. Put ribs in a bowl and add the
seasonings. Mix, then let sit at room temperature for at least 10 minutes.

Mash the brown bean paste with the garlic and add preserved plums. Add a
red chili pepper also if desired. Add bean mixture to spareribs and blend
well.

Transfer ribs to an 8-inch dish with a 1-inch-high rim. Steam spareribs
over high heat for 20 minutes, then serve hot.

Serves 3 with rice, vegetable, and a thick soup
Time 15 minutes preparation
10 minutes resting
20 minutes cooking

***********************************

Hope ya find something here useful Let us know!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
Louis Cohen

For pork spares or beef ribs, cook at 220-250° with indirect heat until you
can pull the ribs apart easily with your fingers; figure 4-5 hrs for a slab,
but cook by tenderness, not time.

I find I have more success on my K cooking ribs in a rack or tied up and
sitting vertical, vs cooking flat and turning once halfway through.

Wet or dry, per your taste.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> For some reason ribs are a challenge for me. What is a spectacular recipe
> and how should I cook them to get equally spectacular results. I have a
> medium sized smoker with an offset firebox and I am tired of feeding my

ribs
> to the dog. (The dog on the other hand is always happy when I am cooking
> ribs, but he obviously doesn't have any taste. He even eats them without a
> cold beer to wash the awful things down with) When I cook ribs they are
> either a chewing exercise or mouth tanning dry, depending on what ever
> cooking procedure I am screwing up at the time. Please help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - A -

M&M

On 22-Jun-2004, "Alan S" > wrote:

> For some reason ribs are a challenge for me. What is a spectacular recipe
> and how should I cook them to get equally spectacular results. I have a
> medium sized smoker with an offset firebox and I am tired of feeding my
> ribs
> to the dog. (The dog on the other hand is always happy when I am cooking
> ribs, but he obviously doesn't have any taste. He even eats them without a
> cold beer to wash the awful things down with) When I cook ribs they are
> either a chewing exercise or mouth tanning dry, depending on what ever
> cooking procedure I am screwing up at the time. Please help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - A -

Sounds like you ****ed off the BBQ god. I rub mine with a modified cajun
rub the night before I cook 'em. I cook at whatever temp my pit likes that
day and take them off when they're done. I get good ribs everytime. Big
Jim uses S & course pepper just before he puts them in the pit. He gets
good ribs every time. I use brown sugar in my rub. Others cringe at the
thought. They make good ribs too. Make sure you cook them until they're
done and then don't let them cook any longer. It ain't rocket science.
Forget
about how long it's supposed to take. It don't matter. It's done when it's
done.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Alan S

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query. From what I have gathered it
is obviously a time in the pit thing (I have either been pulling them out
too soon or too late). I appreciate the recipe's and the reference info.

- A -

"M&M" > wrote in message

> On 22-Jun-2004, "Alan S" > wrote:
>
> > For some reason ribs are a challenge for me. What is a spectacular

recipe
> > and how should I cook them to get equally spectacular results. I have a
> > medium sized smoker with an offset firebox and I am tired of feeding my
> > ribs
> > to the dog. (The dog on the other hand is always happy when I am cooking
> > ribs, but he obviously doesn't have any taste. He even eats them without

> > cold beer to wash the awful things down with) When I cook ribs they are
> > either a chewing exercise or mouth tanning dry, depending on what ever
> > cooking procedure I am screwing up at the time. Please help.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > - A -

> Sounds like you ****ed off the BBQ god. I rub mine with a modified cajun
> rub the night before I cook 'em. I cook at whatever temp my pit likes that
> day and take them off when they're done. I get good ribs everytime. Big
> Jim uses S & course pepper just before he puts them in the pit. He gets
> good ribs every time. I use brown sugar in my rub. Others cringe at the
> thought. They make good ribs too. Make sure you cook them until they're
> done and then don't let them cook any longer. It ain't rocket science.
> Forget
> about how long it's supposed to take. It don't matter. It's done when it's
> done.
> --
> M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

Stephen Russell

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> For some reason ribs are a challenge for me. What is a spectacular recipe
> and how should I cook them to get equally spectacular results. I have a
> medium sized smoker with an offset firebox and I am tired of feeding my

ribs
> to the dog. (The dog on the other hand is always happy when I am cooking
> ribs, but he obviously doesn't have any taste. He even eats them without a
> cold beer to wash the awful things down with) When I cook ribs they are
> either a chewing exercise or mouth tanning dry, depending on what ever
> cooking procedure I am screwing up at the time. Please help.

Temp = 225
Time approx 4 hours
Keep the lid closed and don't open it up every half hour
rub night before any store bought will be fine for your current condition.
Smoke heavy when you put the meat on.
keep the temp down to 225
Watch for a fire in your food box, but you use indirect heat??????
lay off the beer until your in the last hour or two hehehehe

HTH

__Stephen

Jason in Dallas

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> For some reason ribs are a challenge for me. What is a spectacular recipe
> and how should I cook them to get equally spectacular results. I have a
> medium sized smoker with an offset firebox and I am tired of feeding my

ribs
> to the dog. (The dog on the other hand is always happy when I am cooking
> ribs, but he obviously doesn't have any taste. He even eats them without a
> cold beer to wash the awful things down with) When I cook ribs they are
> either a chewing exercise or mouth tanning dry, depending on what ever
> cooking procedure I am screwing up at the time. Please help.

Sorry to hear. Ribs are so simple and easy for me that I suspect your
problem lies not in your recipe and technique, but rather your fire skills.
If the fire is right and you BBQ them until they tear easily they will be
tender and juicy every time. Rub and sauce is just icing on the cake so to
speak. I typically do loin ("baby back") ribs and at about 225F they are
usually done at about 5.5 hours on my WSM.

I'm guessing your fire is not holding a steady and appropriate temerature.
Do you have a thermometer for it? Most of us BBQ at about 220-240 although
higher temperatures can be used. I personally use a Weber mokey Mountain
bullet smoker (aka "WSM") which is a million times easier to operate than an
offset smoker like you have. But with some effort you'll learn to keep a
steady temperature in your rig, and offsets do have their advantages.

Spare ribs are another cut to try, but I find loin ribs a greater crowd
pleaser, they take less time to prep, and they are good. At $3.85/lb loin
ribs aren't much more than spares in dallas, especially given that loin ribs
have a better yield than spares. With spares you end up with a bunch of odd
hunks of meat. If I want odd hunks of meat ... I'll buy them. If I want
ribs, well, I don't want a bunch of extra stuff. That's a good reasson to
get loin ribs.

Duwop

M&M wrote:
> On 22-Jun-2004, "Alan S" > wrote:
>
> Sounds like you ****ed off the BBQ god. I rub mine with a modified
> cajun rub the night before I cook 'em. I cook at whatever temp my pit
> likes that day and take them off when they're done. I get good ribs
> everytime. Big Jim uses S & course pepper just before he puts them in the

pit. He
> gets good ribs every time. I use brown sugar in my rub. Others cringe
> at the thought. They make good ribs too. Make sure you cook them
> until they're done and then don't let them cook any longer. It ain't
> rocket science. Forget about how long it's supposed to take. It don't

matter. It's done when
> it's done.

I thought this post was so good it needs to be seen twice.

Cook at whatever temp the pit likes that day
Take them off when they are done
A good rub is one you like
The best rub is the one you like best
Take them off when they are done

I'll add one thing, don't be afraid to experiment a little.

Thanks M&M

Jack Sloan

"M&M" > wrote in message

> On 23-Jun-2004, "Duwop" > wrote:
>
> > I thought this post was so good it needs to be seen twice.
> >
> > Cook at whatever temp the pit likes that day
> > Take them off when they are done
> > A good rub is one you like
> > The best rub is the one you like best
> > Take them off when they are done
> >
> > I'll add one thing, don't be afraid to experiment a little.
> >

> > Thanks M&M
> > --
> >

> Jeez, I'm blushing. I've been badmouthed so much lately about
> using too much heat that I have difficulty dealing with an accolade.
>
> Speaking of experimenting, I'm messing around with apple cider vinegar
> and real maple syrup and some other stuff for a finishing sauce. So
> far, the rusults are positive. Like others here, I don't like much sugar,
> so the proportions are critical.
>
> Cider Vinegar
> Maple Syrup, the real stuff
> Ancho Chile Powder
> Cumin
> Celery Seed
> Garlic, fresh, sliced
> S&P to taste
> Water as necessary
>
> Combine and simmer. Make sure it don't get to thin at this
> stage. Simmer 30 min or more. Strain through cheesecloth.
> Return to pot and ruduce to desired consistency. You might
> want to add some serrano or Thai for a little pizzazaz.
>
> --
> M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

What kinda soup is this?...Is it good with brisket?...I hope you don't have
to put a dab of sour cream on top before serving.
Jack(duckin')

M&M

On 23-Jun-2004, "Jack Sloan" > wrote:

> "M&M" > wrote in message
> >
> > On 23-Jun-2004, "Duwop" > wrote:
> >
> > > I thought this post was so good it needs to be seen twice.
> > >
> > > Cook at whatever temp the pit likes that day
> > > Take them off when they are done
> > > A good rub is one you like
> > > The best rub is the one you like best
> > > Take them off when they are done
> > >
> > > I'll add one thing, don't be afraid to experiment a little.
> > >

> > > Thanks M&M
> > > --
> > >

> > Jeez, I'm blushing. I've been badmouthed so much lately about
> > using too much heat that I have difficulty dealing with an accolade.
> >
> > Speaking of experimenting, I'm messing around with apple cider vinegar
> > and real maple syrup and some other stuff for a finishing sauce. So
> > far, the rusults are positive. Like others here, I don't like much
> > sugar,
> > so the proportions are critical.
> >
> > Cider Vinegar
> > Maple Syrup, the real stuff
> > Ancho Chile Powder
> > Cumin
> > Celery Seed
> > Garlic, fresh, sliced
> > S&P to taste
> > Water as necessary
> >
> > Combine and simmer. Make sure it don't get to thin at this
> > stage. Simmer 30 min or more. Strain through cheesecloth.
> > Return to pot and ruduce to desired consistency. You might
> > want to add some serrano or Thai for a little pizzazaz.
> >
> > --
> > M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

> What kinda soup is this?...Is it good with brisket?...I hope you don't
> have
> to put a dab of sour cream on top before serving.
> Jack(duckin')

"Soup" is probably an apt term for any BBQ sauce with more then
three ingredients in it. I wouldn't expect this concoction to win any
contests, but then judges come up with some weird results some-
times. I started messing around with sauces because the old off
the shelf standby's fell out of my favor as I got older. I still have a
few jars in the pantry that are up for grabs. I got this idea because
I found a couple bottles of real Vermont Maple Syrup in the pantry.
That's some good stuff, but I don't eat pancakes anymore, so what
can I do? The Idea here, albeit poorly presented, is to make a lightly
flavored vinegar sauce that won't insult the elders while still being
palatable to the younguns.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan S View Post
For some reason ribs are a challenge for me. What is a spectacular recipe
and how should I cook them to get equally spectacular results. I have a
medium sized smoker with an offset firebox and I am tired of feeding my ribs
to the dog. (The dog on the other hand is always happy when I am cooking
ribs, but he obviously doesn't have any taste. He even eats them without a
cold beer to wash the awful things down with) When I cook ribs they are
either a chewing exercise or mouth tanning dry, depending on what ever
cooking procedure I am screwing up at the time. Please help.

Thanks,

- A -

You might want to try cooking the ribs covered for the first 2-3 hours to keep all the wonderful juices in. Then on the last leg of the trip uncover and cook on a medium to cool spot of the grill once you have a good crust to seal in the flavor.

I have never actually cooked ribs but that is how I cook my Pork Butt.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinchef View Post
You might want to try cooking the ribs covered for the first 2-3 hours to keep all the wonderful juices in. Then on the last leg of the trip uncover and cook on a medium to cool spot of the grill once you have a good crust to seal in the flavor.

I have never actually cooked ribs but that is how I cook my Pork Butt.
Me too.. I never really cooked ribs. I like pork with a lot of meat that's why I don't buy ribs.

Whats in a name [email protected] Tea 0 18-02-2009 03:42 PM
whats everyone preserving? D.L.[_2_] Preserving 16 10-07-2007 08:55 AM
Whats everyone doing today Dog3 General Cooking 48 02-06-2005 05:56 AM
Whats so great with the WSM? Pierre Barbecue 5 17-03-2004 03:27 AM
Whats Better? Bob Beer 8 10-03-2004 08:32 PM