Duwop

Default off-set smoker

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message >

> www.lyfetyme.com is a company in Uvalde that hits the midrange. I have

never
> used one but they look to be of a quality nearing David Klose's product. I

have
> a friend in Austin who's had one of their grills for yrs. and loves it.
>
> They have a lifetime warranty against burn out of the fire box.

Damn good find, thank you Tyler.

Yankees! They got something for you cold weather folks!
http://www.lyfetyme.com/img/photo/tfss.gif

Comes with it's own set of skis.

M&M

www.tejassmokers.com . Hound loved Tejas.

> Jack Curry
> -or you could get a Kamado <VBG>

I suppose he did, but he bought a LazyQ from Big Jim anyway. His
wasn't a gasser though. He had a bigass firebox on his so he could
burn logs.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
\Piedmont\

"matt tsang" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm looking to replace my old weber kettle grill.

SNIP
> I'm open to other options. Ideally, I would like a piece of equipment
> where I can both grill and bbq.
>
> matt

Matt:
I've had two offsets and they ARE fuel hogs and need too much attention
IMHO. The second offset is now an inline vertical cooker now, a rather
robust pseudo WSM. It was a square vertical/offset. I repositioned the
firebox under the vertical. If you do decide to get an offset, be prepared
to make several important modifications to get it to work better, but it
will still be a FUEL HOG. Clay pots are ridiculously high in price, go for a
WSM!!!
--
"Piedmont", from Northern, South Carolina!

IN REVERSE: MOC TOD OOHAY TA 4201LIWMA

BOB

Duwop wrote:
> He's looking for an offset. If someone was looking for a flowerpot should a
> person link to Tejas?
> Damn, it's like a cult, I swear! <BG>
>
> What's your budget Matt? Offsets go up to $1,300 or as low as $200 with a
> large gap in quality between them. Do you have a link to the unit you're
> looking at? Sorry, most of us dont have all the available units memorized.
>

> --

You know what? I must have just read the message, about grill space, and
clearing the coals! I guess I never read the *subject* line. Never realized
that the question was specifically for offsets. OOPS

BOB
but not actually apologizing, 'cause that's *NOT* done on usenet '-)

Matthew L. Martin

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 00:16:35 GMT, Douglas Barber
> > wrote:
>

>>If the most of the fun's in actively managing the fire, those things
>>(WSM or pottery) are hardly fun at all, once you get the idea...course
>>at the other extreme you have your ECB's, you need to stand there all
>>day with a blow-dryer with 12 settings and possibly a blow-torch to
>>manage them...

> ECB's don't need constant monitoring once you know how to use
> them.

What he said! I monitor my ECBX2 about once every 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
Mostly just visitin', not doing any adjustments.

I find I spend more time adjusting it when I use gas instead of charcoal.

Matthew

--
If the war in Iraq was over oil, we lost.

Jeff Bennett

I disagree with all offsets being fuel hogs. My Tejas isn't. Very fuel
efficient. Once you get it heated up, it doesn't take much at all
to keep it going. Tejas 2040cc. Does take some tending to
though.
I have a WSM too, and it's a jewel, not doubt about it.
jeff

""Piedmont"" > wrote in message

> "matt tsang" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I'm looking to replace my old weber kettle grill.

> SNIP
> > I'm open to other options. Ideally, I would like a piece of equipment
> > where I can both grill and bbq.
> >
> > matt

> Matt:
> I've had two offsets and they ARE fuel hogs and need too much attention
> IMHO. The second offset is now an inline vertical cooker now, a rather
> robust pseudo WSM. It was a square vertical/offset. I repositioned the
> firebox under the vertical. If you do decide to get an offset, be prepared
> to make several important modifications to get it to work better, but it
> will still be a FUEL HOG. Clay pots are ridiculously high in price, go for

> WSM!!!
> --
> "Piedmont", from Northern, South Carolina!
>
> IN REVERSE: MOC TOD OOHAY TA 4201LIWMA

Duwop

Jeff Bennett wrote:
> I disagree with all offsets being fuel hogs. My Tejas isn't. Very fuel
> efficient. Once you get it heated up, it doesn't take much at all
> to keep it going. Tejas 2040cc. Does take some tending to
> though.
> I have a WSM too, and it's a jewel, not doubt about it.
> jeff

What's the temp differential in the stack generally? To clarify, if the
main cooker is at 275, what would you expect the stack cooking area to be.
IIRC, the 2040 has a cooking chamber/exhaust stack set up as well as the
normal barrell cooking chamber.
And how often do you need to tend the fire? 60-90 minutes still hold pretty
much true?

TIA,

Dale

TFM®

M&M wrote:
> On 24-Jun-2004, "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com>
> wrote:

>>> Doesnt seem to be much available any more between the low end and
>>> the high
>>> end. The old New Braunfels was made of a thicker gauge than the
>>> Char-griller I have. Seems now if you want to step up from
>>> Char-grill you got to go up

>>> about $1,000. I was interested in the answer to your question as
>>> well and
>>> just did a search, couldnt find anything around $500.
>>> I suggest you to go an get yourself a can of high heat spray paint,
>>> the first burn in the firebox will burn off paint, so save yourself
>>> from rust
>>> and be prepared.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> Dales' mostly right about price - but if you can up the pain to
>> about $700 you can get a Tejas offset that's built like a tank and
>> that'll last you a lifetime. Check 'em out
www.tejassmokers.com .
>> Hound loved Tejas.
>>
>> Jack Curry
>> -or you could get a Kamado <VBG>

> I suppose he did, but he bought a LazyQ from Big Jim anyway. His
> wasn't a gasser though. He had a bigass firebox on his so he could
> burn logs.

Oops, speak only of that which you know is fact.

It was built primarily as a gasser, with a wood option.

When Hound picked it up, the necessary parts for log burning were still not
made.

I was there, we cooked thousands of $ worth of feed on it in 2 days in gas
mode.

****, now I'm missing him again.

TFM®

TFM®

M&M wrote:
> On 24-Jun-2004, "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com>
> wrote:

>>> Doesnt seem to be much available any more between the low end and
>>> the high
>>> end. The old New Braunfels was made of a thicker gauge than the
>>> Char-griller I have. Seems now if you want to step up from
>>> Char-grill you got to go up

>>> about $1,000. I was interested in the answer to your question as
>>> well and
>>> just did a search, couldnt find anything around $500.
>>> I suggest you to go an get yourself a can of high heat spray paint,
>>> the first burn in the firebox will burn off paint, so save yourself
>>> from rust
>>> and be prepared.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> Dales' mostly right about price - but if you can up the pain to
>> about $700 you can get a Tejas offset that's built like a tank and
>> that'll last you a lifetime. Check 'em out
www.tejassmokers.com .
>> Hound loved Tejas.
>>
>> Jack Curry
>> -or you could get a Kamado <VBG>

> I suppose he did, but he bought a LazyQ from Big Jim anyway. His
> wasn't a gasser though. He had a bigass firebox on his so he could
> burn logs.

Oops, speak only of that which you know is fact.

It was built primarily as a gasser, with a wood option.

When Hound picked it up, the necessary parts for log burning were still not
made.

I was there, we cooked thousands of $ worth of feed on it in 2 days in gas
mode.

****, now I'm missing him again.

TFM®

Dave Bugg

TFM® wrote:

> Oops, speak only of that which you know is fact.
>
> It was built primarily as a gasser, with a wood option.
>
> When Hound picked it up, the necessary parts for log burning were
> still not made.
>
> I was there, we cooked thousands of $ worth of feed on it in 2 days
> in gas mode.
>
> ****, now I'm missing him again.

That was one big honkin' breakin of the rig. I remember being in-awe when
told of the sheer numbers that were served.

Hang-in there, amigo, Hound's legacy lives on.
Dave

Dave Bugg

TFM® wrote:

> Oops, speak only of that which you know is fact.
>
> It was built primarily as a gasser, with a wood option.
>
> When Hound picked it up, the necessary parts for log burning were
> still not made.
>
> I was there, we cooked thousands of $ worth of feed on it in 2 days
> in gas mode.
>
> ****, now I'm missing him again.

That was one big honkin' breakin of the rig. I remember being in-awe when
told of the sheer numbers that were served.

Hang-in there, amigo, Hound's legacy lives on.
Dave

Jack Curry

"TFM®" > wrote in message
m...
> M&M wrote:
> > On 24-Jun-2004, "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Dales' mostly right about price - but if you can up the pain to
> >> about $700 you can get a Tejas offset that's built like a tank and
> >> that'll last you a lifetime. Check 'em out
www.tejassmokers.com .
> >> Hound loved Tejas.
> >>
> >> Jack Curry
> >> -or you could get a Kamado <VBG>

> > I suppose he did, but he bought a LazyQ from Big Jim anyway. His
> > wasn't a gasser though. He had a bigass firebox on his so he could
> > burn logs.

> Oops, speak only of that which you know is fact.
>
> It was built primarily as a gasser, with a wood option.
>
> When Hound picked it up, the necessary parts for log burning were still

not
> made.
>
> I was there, we cooked thousands of $ worth of feed on it in 2 days in gas
> mode.
>
> ****, now I'm missing him again.
>

> TFM®

And I had the pleasure of seein' that huge hunk of steel at Jim's before
Hound picked it up. Jim had given it a test drive or two, so it smelled
right.

Jack
-Hope Hound enjoyed it-

M&M

On 8-Jul-2004, "TFM®" > wrote:

> M&M wrote:
> > On 24-Jun-2004, "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com>
> > wrote:

> > I suppose he did, but he bought a LazyQ from Big Jim anyway. His
> > wasn't a gasser though. He had a bigass firebox on his so he could
> > burn logs.

> Oops, speak only of that which you know is fact.
>
> It was built primarily as a gasser, with a wood option.
> When Hound picked it up, the necessary parts for log burning were still
> not made.
>
> I was there, we cooked thousands of $ worth of feed on it in 2 days in gas
> mode.
>
> ****, now I'm missing him again.
>

> TFM®

I'm missing him too and I never met him. He went to his maker
with $40 of my gelt in his pocket to get me an 'Olla' (Mexican
bean pot). My bad, pictures I saw, he was burning logs. (But it
wan't a Tejas either.) So there. BTW TFM®, you want some of
these Thai 'HOT' peppers, just holler. I got to pick some more
tomorrow. Weekend's coming up. I could do some slummin.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
M&M

On 8-Jul-2004, "TFM®" > wrote:

> M&M wrote:
> > On 24-Jun-2004, "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com>
> > wrote:

> > I suppose he did, but he bought a LazyQ from Big Jim anyway. His
> > wasn't a gasser though. He had a bigass firebox on his so he could
> > burn logs.

> Oops, speak only of that which you know is fact.
>
> It was built primarily as a gasser, with a wood option.
> When Hound picked it up, the necessary parts for log burning were still
> not made.
>
> I was there, we cooked thousands of $ worth of feed on it in 2 days in gas
> mode.
>
> ****, now I'm missing him again.
>

> TFM®

I'm missing him too and I never met him. He went to his maker
with $40 of my gelt in his pocket to get me an 'Olla' (Mexican
bean pot). My bad, pictures I saw, he was burning logs. (But it
wan't a Tejas either.) So there. BTW TFM®, you want some of
these Thai 'HOT' peppers, just holler. I got to pick some more
tomorrow. Weekend's coming up. I could do some slummin.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
TFM®

M&M wrote:
> On 8-Jul-2004, "TFM®" > wrote:
>
>> M&M wrote:

>>> I suppose he did, but he bought a LazyQ from Big Jim anyway. His
>>> wasn't a gasser though. He had a bigass firebox on his so he could
>>> burn logs.

>> Oops, speak only of that which you know is fact.
>>
>> It was built primarily as a gasser, with a wood option.
>> When Hound picked it up, the necessary parts for log burning were
>> still not made.
>>
>> I was there, we cooked thousands of $ worth of feed on it in 2 days
>> in gas mode.
>>
>> ****, now I'm missing him again.
>>

>> TFM®

> I'm missing him too and I never met him. He went to his maker
> with $40 of my gelt in his pocket to get me an 'Olla' (Mexican
> bean pot). My bad, pictures I saw, he was burning logs. (But it
> wan't a Tejas either.) So there. BTW TFM®, you want some of
> these Thai 'HOT' peppers, just holler. I got to pick some more
> tomorrow. Weekend's coming up. I could do some slummin.

Ummm........yeah, it *WAS* a Tejas.

Shutup about shit you don't know about.

If yer slummin' coming to my house, stay in the city.

TFM®

TFM®

TFM® wrote:

> Shutup about shit you don't know about.

Errrrmmm.........I reckon I should practice what I preach.

My apologies, Mr. Bricker. I was wrong, but I thought I was right. The
only thing I'm sure of is my level of intoxication last night.

TFM®

TFM®

TFM® wrote:

> Shutup about shit you don't know about.

Errrrmmm.........I reckon I should practice what I preach.

My apologies, Mr. Bricker. I was wrong, but I thought I was right. The
only thing I'm sure of is my level of intoxication last night.

TFM®

Jack Curry

"TFM®" > wrote in message
.. .
> TFM® wrote:
>

> > Shutup about shit you don't know about.

> Errrrmmm.........I reckon I should practice what I preach.
>
> My apologies, Mr. Bricker. I was wrong, but I thought I was right. The
> only thing I'm sure of is my level of intoxication last night.
>

> TFM®

<giggle> Not a one of us hasn't dined on barbecued crow from time to time.

Jack Curry
-tastes like shit-

Jack Curry

"TFM®" > wrote in message
.. .
> TFM® wrote:
>

> > Shutup about shit you don't know about.

> Errrrmmm.........I reckon I should practice what I preach.
>
> My apologies, Mr. Bricker. I was wrong, but I thought I was right. The
> only thing I'm sure of is my level of intoxication last night.
>

> TFM®

<giggle> Not a one of us hasn't dined on barbecued crow from time to time.

Jack Curry
-tastes like shit-

Frndthdevl

>From: "TFM®"

>My apologies, Mr. Bricker. I was wrong, but I thought I was right. The
>only thing I'm sure of is my level of intoxication last night.

always nice to see folks step up and apologize. Something done too little on
most lists now adays.
peace
jeff

"Well I ain't often right but I've never been wrong
It seldom turns out the way it does in the song
Once in a while you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right"
Hunter

M&M

On 10-Jul-2004, "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> "TFM®" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > TFM® wrote:
> >

> > > Shutup about shit you don't know about.

> > Errrrmmm.........I reckon I should practice what I preach.
> >
> > My apologies, Mr. Bricker. I was wrong, but I thought I was right. The
> > only thing I'm sure of is my level of intoxication last night.
> >

> > TFM®
> >

> <giggle> Not a one of us hasn't dined on barbecued crow from time to
> time.
>
> Jack Curry
> -tastes like shit-

Was that your recipe I used Jack. I remember, (sort of) asking for
a BBQ Crow recipe and yeh, it did taste like shit. I didn't want to
blame it on you, but if you want to take the credit?
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

It is in the Smoker ChrisGW Barbecue 3 05-11-2007 01:44 AM
Not a new smoker JD[_2_] Barbecue 1 01-08-2007 02:50 AM
I want to buy a smoker!! [email protected] Barbecue 21 28-08-2005 06:02 AM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 1 18-04-2005 02:56 PM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 0 18-04-2005 01:24 AM