Default I want to buy a smoker!!

Hi there.I'm a complete newbie,and I MUST have a smoker.lol.I'm tired
of the propane grill I have.What I was wondering is...does anyone know
of a inexpensive smoker for the inexperienced? I'm in Ottawa,Ontario.
Thanks.

eelhc

I am presently looking to get another charcoal grill/smoker companion
for my Kamado #7. It would for big gatherings where I need to cook
multiple items while the K's locked down with a low and slow.

The Weber Smokey Mountain was a natural choice until I did a
benchmark...

Weber Smokey Mountain (2x18.5" Grills) $180
Big Green Egg Mini (9.5" Grill) $180
Big Green Egg Small (13" Grill) $270
Kamado #1 Textured (13" Grill) $199 (Sale Price)
Kamado #3 Textured (15" Grill) $199 (Sale Price)

For reference...
Weber Performer (22.5" Grill) $300
Weber Kettle (18.5-22.5" Grill) $85-$150

So if you really don't need the additional space in the WSM, you may
want to reconsider.

That said... Having started myself with an el-cheapo Brinkmann, I can
absolutely recommend it. Or look for a dirt cheap kettle style grill
at a garage sale and set it up indirect smoking.

There is another smoker only option. The Alton Brown Terra Cotta pot
somker. Do a google newsgroup search and you'll find information on
this. Essentially a terra cotta flower pot with a $10 electric hot
plate on the bottom, pie pan with smoke wood in it on top of th
hotplate, a grill near the top of the pot and a terra cotta pot lid
with a thermometer in the hole. Basically a poor man's ceramic cooker.
If you have an IKEA nearby their patio/garden section has very
inexpensive large terra cotta pots that'd be perfect for this.
Electric is a lot better than gas (and in some ways charcoal) since it
does NOT need oxygen to create heat since it's not burning. No airflow
through the cooking vessel... less chance for the meat to dry out.
I've been wanting to build one of these for some time but haven't had
the time. This may be the best option for colder climates... although
wind is really the enemy of these metal water smokers.

In any case...one does not need expensive gear to cook good Que.
Expensive gear just allows one to be lazy Be creative and have fun.
Yes fun! Check this out... (Trash can smoker):

http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

http://store.barbecue-smoker-grill.c...24/smgrch.html

> Mods: http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html
>
> Pork Butts I cooked with ECB:
> http://www.geocities.com/bradhouser/porkbutt2.jpg
>
> When you fell like you want more control, etc. you can upgrade to the Weber
> Smokey Mountain or above.
>
> Brad H

> Hi there.I'm a complete newbie,and I MUST have a smoker.lol.I'm tired
> of the propane grill I have.What I was wondering is...does anyone know
> of a inexpensive smoker for the inexperienced? I'm in Ottawa,Ontario.
> Thanks.

Hey, Bert,

Welcome! I don't know much about Canada, but we do have some Canucks on the
group, who should be able to help you. ;-) You've come to the right place.
Read the BBQ FAQ at
http://www.bbq-porch.org/faq/default.asp Also, check
out alt.binaries.food for some pics of equipment and food (& beer). The
good thing about smoking and Qing is that you get to eat your mistakes.
Looking forward to hearing what you end up getting and seeing some of your
pics!

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

D. Winsor

> wrote in message
oups.com...
" Hi there.I'm a complete newbie,and I MUST have a smoker."

I made a lot of decent smoke on the Brinkman with both charcoal and
electric. The electric element wears out pretty quick under heavy use and
the wind adds plenty to cook times. I moved on to a Chargriller with a side
fire box, but I find the wind here makes it difficult to deal with quite a
bit. I find my latest Weber Smoky Mountain is much better able to deal with
the wind here. Chargriller and Brinkman you can get at crappy tire. On an
aside, you can also get the Bradley smoker for about three hundred when
they're on sale at crappy tire. The Home Depot has the WSM online and at
some stores. They will all special order it for you. Except the Brinkman
all these smokers will run you about $250-$300. You got better weather with
less wind in Ottawa than me in St. John's, NL so the Brinkman is good
beginner's bang for the buck.

Olaf Timandahaff

In article .com>,
had this to say about that...
> Hi there.I'm a complete newbie,and I MUST have a smoker.lol.I'm tired
> of the propane grill I have.What I was wondering is...does anyone know
> of a inexpensive smoker for the inexperienced? I'm in Ottawa,Ontario.
> Thanks.

Me too, I've been lurking on this group for a while, these people
drove me into a frenzy as well.
I just picked up a cheap offset smoker at Canadian Tire at Hunt Club
and Merivale. [They still had some left last week]
It was pretty cheap, [$140?] but I figured it would be OK to fool
around on.
It was easy to assemble and the instructions must have been written by
an American, I could actually understand them!
Pick up some Royal Oak Lump while you're there, I enquired and they
stock it year-round.

Olaf Timandahaff

In article .com>,
had this to say about that...
> Hi there.I'm a complete newbie,and I MUST have a smoker.lol.I'm tired
> of the propane grill I have.What I was wondering is...does anyone know
> of a inexpensive smoker for the inexperienced? I'm in Ottawa,Ontario.
> Thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/9dn67

Darwin Vander Stelt

> > Hi there.I'm a complete newbie,and I MUST have a smoker.lol.I'm tired
> > of the propane grill I have.What I was wondering is...does anyone know
> > of a inexpensive smoker for the inexperienced? I'm in Ottawa,Ontario.
> > Thanks.

I built one with a 30 gal. barrel down in the ground next to it for a
firepit., with a tunnel connecting the smoker chamber to the firepit. I used
2x4 ribs and batt insulation between the double 1/2" plywood walls and
cieling so it is very well insulated. At 3' x 4'x 8' high it is big enough
to do a lot of stuff. the floor is dirt covered with 3" of lava rock all
around the grate that lets the smoke in. There is also a hot plate buried
into the lava rock. It is connected to a digital thermostat control ($59).
The whole deal cost around $300 and a couple of weekends.
It has 2 modes of operation: For slow cooked ribs, I run it around 200-225,
only have to add a chunk of wood to the firepit once an hour or so after
getting a good bed of coals. I cook ribs in tin-foil for 5 hours or so, and
unwrap them and do it another 2 hours, puching the temp up to 300 at the end
to get a little crunch on the exterior. It goes to 300 with no trouble at
all, and so far fire has not been a problem, although that is about as hot
as I would let it get (It is capable of self immolation, if you allow it).
For slow cold smoke, i just use the hot plate and digital thermostat with a
dutch oven (with tight cover) with chips in it. For dried beef, I set the
thermo to kick in at 105, and run up to 130. This gives it enough time to
ignite the wood and you get some smoke, then it shuts off until the temp
drops to 105 again. By experimenting with drilling holes in the dutch oven
and cover, it now burns about a half a gallon of chips in 24 hrs, so I only
need to open the door and refill it once a day. After a week of this
regimine you have the very best dried beef I ever tasted. This thing only
takes a little space, cost only $300 or so, and I wouldn't trade it for any
commercial smoker on the market! (The only drawback is neighbors wonder
why you have an outhouse in your back yard)

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message

> only once (1 time!) have I made somethin that I didn't think
> was better than most resturaunt barbecue I've had (and I like
> Texas BBQ), and then I just drank too much and wasn't payin
> attention and over cooked a brisket.

You must have passed out for half the day if you let it overcook on that
machine. You sure it was not undercooked?

Stan Marks

In article >,

> > Hi there.I'm a complete newbie,and I MUST have a smoker.lol.I'm tired
> > of the propane grill I have.What I was wondering is...does anyone know
> > of a inexpensive smoker for the inexperienced? I'm in Ottawa,Ontario.
> > Thanks.

> I've been smokin about 5 months now. I highly recommend the
> El Cheapo Brinkman. At my local Academy Sports it cost me
> a grand total of 30 bucks.

Wal Mart sells 'em for about $30, too...IF you can find 'em!

> I wont surprise myself if I 'graduate' to a Weber somethin-er-other
> one day, but I think learnin how to do it with just the barebones
> stuff will only let me appreciate that better.
>
> only once (1 time!) have I made somethin that I didn't think
> was better than most resturaunt barbecue I've had (and I like
> Texas BBQ), and then I just drank too much and wasn't payin
> attention and over cooked a brisket.
>
> All that said, it is work. every 30-45 minutes you gotta add
> water and check on the fire. 3.5-4.5 hours for ribs.
> 1-1.5 hours per pound for brisket.

30-45 minutes?! I never have to add water that often with my ECB! With
an almost-full water pan, I'm usually good for several hours. And I
rarely ever have to "check on the fire". I use the Minion method with
lump charcoal and get 5-6 hours of steady 250-degree heat. I do usually
stir the coals every couple of hours, but fire control is not a problem
with the proper modifications.

--
Stan Marks

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Stan Marks

In article . com>,
"eelhc" > wrote:

> > All that said, it is work. every 30-45 minutes you gotta add
> > water and check on the fire. 3.5-4.5 hours for ribs.
> > 1-1.5 hours per pound for brisket.

> Fill the water pan with sand and cover it with foil so you won't have
> to deal with that... Use the "Minion Method" with gaaak! Kingsford
> Briquettes (Briquettes will burn longer than lump).

I get 5-6 hours of fire on one pan of lump charcoal using the Minion
Method on my ECB.

--
Stan Marks

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
bert151rum

Hey,well thanks for all the suggestions.Going to go shopping around
today,but it looks like I'll go for the Weber Smokey Mountain.Thanks
again everyone.

eelhc > wrote:

> Wow! I find it hard to overcook a brisket since the window to pull the
> meat off is so large (190~200*C? gives me at least an hour or so...).

ya it took special alcoholic effort. It was the first time I used
a meat thermometer instead of just knowing how long its supposed to
take and pickin up with tongs and testing for right floppiness.

so i go over when I think it should be done and check it, and the
floppinness seems right, but it reads 185, and I'd read 188 was
"perfect" so I decided to leave it on. 1 bottle of wine and a few
beers later I go check it and its freakin 210 degrees.

woops. pretty dumb.

--
I used to think government was a necessary evil.
I'm not so sure about the necessary part anymore.

Stan Marks > wrote:

> 30-45 minutes?! I never have to add water that often with my ECB! With
> an almost-full water pan, I'm usually good for several hours.

ya if it starts out full it'll last several hours. but I don't want a
grease fire to I try to keep it at the same level all day. I just use
a little 6oz coke bottle (which so far is my preferred method of
adding water to ECB's) and most of the time when I add a little to the
fire (don't know/haven't tried this minion thing yet) I also add 6oz
of water.

works for me. im kinda fidgety about the whole thing anyways, so if I've
got something else to do I'm not tempted to take the top off really until
I think its time for somethin to be done.
--
I used to think government was a necessary evil.
I'm not so sure about the necessary part anymore.
ceed

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:26:39 -0500, Stan Marks
> wrote:

> Wal Mart sells 'em for about $30, too...IF you can find 'em!

Just bought one today which I'm gonna send over to family in Europe. Paid
$28.88 at WM. Prolly gonna pay that and more to have it shipped..

--
//ceed ©¿©¬

Stan Marks

In article >,
wrote:

> Stan Marks > wrote:
>
> > 30-45 minutes?! I never have to add water that often with my ECB! With
> > an almost-full water pan, I'm usually good for several hours.

> ya if it starts out full it'll last several hours. but I don't want a
> grease fire to I try to keep it at the same level all day. I just use
> a little 6oz coke bottle (which so far is my preferred method of
> adding water to ECB's) and most of the time when I add a little to the
> fire (don't know/haven't tried this minion thing yet) I also add 6oz
> of water.

It's from the Virtual Weber Bullet website, but it works very
effectively in an ECB, too:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion

Instead of Kingsford, though, I use lump charcoal. You need to drill
several large vent holes in the bottom of the firepan, if you haven't
already done so, and a charcoal grate in the bottom of the pan seems to
help, too. I found one at Home Depot that was made for a Weber grill,
but it fits just fine in the Brinkmann pan.

Sounds like you're making things a bit difficult for yourself with that
6-oz Coke bottle. I use a small, cheap plastic garden watering can
(about 1 gal capacity) to add water when needed. I usually only need to
do that on extended cooks, though, like when I'm doing a pork butt or
brisket.

--
Stan Marks

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
jinym

Stan Marks wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "eelhc" > wrote:

> > Fill the water pan with sand and cover it with foil so you won't have
> > to deal with that... Use the "Minion Method" with gaaak! Kingsford
> > Briquettes (Briquettes will burn longer than lump).

> I get 5-6 hours of fire on one pan of lump charcoal using the Minion
> Method on my ECB.
>
> --
> Stan Marks
>
> A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

I've had cooks of 18 hours+ on one pan using lump and the Minion method
on my WSM. It just goes to show what efficient airflow control can do.
But yes, before I got the Weber, I did have some great results on my
old ECB.
*Insert comments by pottery users here*

Jim
--

"Some people are like Slinkies. They really aren't much good for
anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them

It is in the Smoker ChrisGW Barbecue 3 05-11-2007 01:44 AM
Not a new smoker JD[_2_] Barbecue 1 01-08-2007 02:50 AM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 1 18-04-2005 02:56 PM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 0 18-04-2005 01:24 AM
Smoker Herman Munster Barbecue 1 26-07-2004 06:19 PM