Jason in Dallas

Default Alton Brown kettle "afterburner" modification - thoughts?

His book describes a modification to a Weber Kettle whereby he plumbs a
hairdryer into the fire area with a metal pipe. The purpose is to feed the
fire and create very hot grilling conditions for insanely hot searing. This
would be nice for things like grilled ahi, fillet mignon, skirt, stuff like
that where you want really fast and hot. Kinda like a BBQ Guru on steroids
and methamphetamine.

I'm so intrigued by the idea I'm tempted to buy a kettle (I only have a
gasser and bullet right now).

Anyone try this? Surprisingly it's not mentioned once in the archives.

Dave Bugg

Jason in Dallas wrote:

> I'm so intrigued by the idea I'm tempted to buy a kettle (I only have
> a gasser and bullet right now).
>
> Anyone try this? Surprisingly it's not mentioned once in the archives.

That's the first I've heard of it, Jason, although it sounds intriguing.
Dave

notbob

On 2004-05-17, Jason in Dallas > wrote:

> I'm so intrigued by the idea I'm tempted to buy a kettle (I only have a
> gasser and bullet right now).

Another option I saw (AB?) was to let the briquettes stay in the starter
chimney till they get white hot, then slap a grill over the top of the
chimney and sear that lump of meat in a heartbeat.

nb
cory

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-05-17, Jason in Dallas > wrote:
>
>>I'm so intrigued by the idea I'm tempted to buy a kettle (I only have a
>>gasser and bullet right now).

> Another option I saw (AB?) was to let the briquettes stay in the starter
> chimney till they get white hot, then slap a grill over the top of the
> chimney and sear that lump of meat in a heartbeat.
>
> nb

Another technique he recommends, which I'm not likely to try, is to
clear away the ashes and cook the meat directly on the hot coals. One
thing is for sure, this guy is adventurous.
cl

"Jason in Dallas" > wrote in message
. com...
> His book describes a modification to a Weber Kettle whereby he plumbs a
> hairdryer into the fire area with a metal pipe. The purpose is to feed the
> fire and create very hot grilling conditions for insanely hot searing.

This
> would be nice for things like grilled ahi, fillet mignon, skirt, stuff

like
> that where you want really fast and hot. Kinda like a BBQ Guru on

steroids
> and methamphetamine.
>
> I'm so intrigued by the idea I'm tempted to buy a kettle (I only have a
> gasser and bullet right now).
>
> Anyone try this? Surprisingly it's not mentioned once in the archives.

Old idea based on bellow that is used by blacksmiths, very very hot. Same
idea as people using a hairdryer to start eggs and chineys up

It is just as easy to run the kettle with the top off and a firebrick on one
side to move the coals up closer. Then again a cast iron pan on a 150k
burner is what I use to sear. White hot and sears faster than a tec and
finish on the kettle

The 150k also gets the coals ashed over in 5min using a chimney.

-CAL

Louis Cohen

For pizza baking and seafood grilling, I have had my Kamado (with no mods,
not even a hairdryer poised at the damper, or the food on a grate just above
the coals) up to a dome temp of 550-600°. This is plenty hot for searing
anything. Over the years I have heard of people pinning the thermometer on
the K (last mark is at 750°; the pin might be close to 1,000°) deliberately
(or cooking just above the coals). I've done it accidently a couple of
times, and it's just too hot to cook anything, unless you want to cremate
it.

Even shrimp cook way too fast at temps like that so that they dry out before
you can flip them or take them off the heat. And, it's pretty damn
uncomfortable not to say dangerous to reach over a grill that hot, even with
tongs.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Jason in Dallas" > wrote in message
. com...
> His book describes a modification to a Weber Kettle whereby he plumbs a
> hairdryer into the fire area with a metal pipe. The purpose is to feed the
> fire and create very hot grilling conditions for insanely hot searing.

This
> would be nice for things like grilled ahi, fillet mignon, skirt, stuff

like
> that where you want really fast and hot. Kinda like a BBQ Guru on

steroids
> and methamphetamine.
>
> I'm so intrigued by the idea I'm tempted to buy a kettle (I only have a
> gasser and bullet right now).
>
> Anyone try this? Surprisingly it's not mentioned once in the archives.

Jack Sloan

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> For pizza baking and seafood grilling, I have had my Kamado (with no mods,
> not even a hairdryer poised at the damper, or the food on a grate just

above
> the coals) up to a dome temp of 550-600°. This is plenty hot for searing
> anything. Over the years I have heard of people pinning the thermometer

on
> the K (last mark is at 750°; the pin might be close to 1,000°)

deliberately
> (or cooking just above the coals). I've done it accidently a couple of
> times, and it's just too hot to cook anything, unless you want to cremate
> it.
>
> Even shrimp cook way too fast at temps like that so that they dry out

before
> you can flip them or take them off the heat. And, it's pretty damn
> uncomfortable not to say dangerous to reach over a grill that hot, even

with
> tongs.

I clocked the thermo on the gd not too long ago It said 225 and was prolly
closer to 800 or so. Can't remember if the chicken was a 20 or 25 minute
bird...was still a not too bad meal.
Jack

BOB

Louis Cohen wrote:
> For pizza baking and seafood grilling, I have had my Kamado (with no mods,
> not even a hairdryer poised at the damper, or the food on a grate just above
> the coals) up to a dome temp of 550-600°. This is plenty hot for searing
> anything. Over the years I have heard of people pinning the thermometer on
> the K (last mark is at 750°; the pin might be close to 1,000°) deliberately
> (or cooking just above the coals). I've done it accidently a couple of
> times, and it's just too hot to cook anything, unless you want to cremate
> it.
>
> Even shrimp cook way too fast at temps like that so that they dry out before
> you can flip them or take them off the heat. And, it's pretty damn
> uncomfortable not to say dangerous to reach over a grill that hot, even with
> tongs.

Been there, done that (accidently). It sure does clean out all the grease and
fat, though. Stainless steel grates look *almost* new after that.

600° is really hot enough for a good sear, or to bake that pizza (or Calzone,
Stromboli, etc).

BOB

Greg Muncill

On Mon, 17 May 2004 21:55:56 -0400, " BOB" >
wrote:

>600° is really hot enough for a good sear, or to bake that pizza (or Calzone,
>Stromboli, etc).
>
>BOB

Then you aren't doing the equivalent to the
NYC coal-fired pizzas at 800+ degrees Bob?

<http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Feb/02092003/sunday/27016.asp>
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58001-2003Jan28.html>

Greg
Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Louis Cohen"
> wrote:

> For pizza baking and seafood grilling, I have had my Kamado (with no mods,
> not even a hairdryer poised at the damper, or the food on a grate just above
> the coals) up to a dome temp of 550-600°. This is plenty hot for searing
> anything. Over the years I have heard of people pinning the thermometer on
> the K (last mark is at 750°; the pin might be close to 1,000°) deliberately
> (or cooking just above the coals). I've done it accidently a couple of
> times, and it's just too hot to cook anything, unless you want to cremate
> it.
>
> Even shrimp cook way too fast at temps like that so that they dry out before
> you can flip them or take them off the heat. And, it's pretty damn
> uncomfortable not to say dangerous to reach over a grill that hot, even with
> tongs.

Ahh yes-tripping the light fantastic on a Kamado! I've only pegged mine
once so far. The secret to avoiding runaways (other than damping down)
is not to load so much lump in for a grilling session.
Now sometimes, the darn thing won't get to 600-650F (my usual steak
temp) with any expediency, so I use a small battery powered fan perched
right up against the draft door opening (my Weber chimney puts it at
the exact right height!)
Holy Turbo Boost Batman!

monroe(whoosh-she's ready)

cory

Monroe, of course... wrote:

> Ahh yes-tripping the light fantastic on a Kamado! I've only pegged mine
> once so far. The secret to avoiding runaways (other than damping down)
> is not to load so much lump in for a grilling session.
> Now sometimes, the darn thing won't get to 600-650F (my usual steak
> temp) with any expediency, so I use a small battery powered fan perched
> right up against the draft door opening (my Weber chimney puts it at
> the exact right height!)
> Holy Turbo Boost Batman!
>
> monroe(whoosh-she's ready)

I talked about doing this about a year ago, and you guys ripped me a new
one for being too impatient. Since then, I've heard BOB say that he used
a shop-vac to get his K started, and now this. What gives?
Monroe, of course...

In article >, cory
> wrote:

> Monroe, of course... wrote:
>
> > Ahh yes-tripping the light fantastic on a Kamado! I've only pegged mine
> > once so far. The secret to avoiding runaways (other than damping down)
> > is not to load so much lump in for a grilling session.
> > Now sometimes, the darn thing won't get to 600-650F (my usual steak
> > temp) with any expediency, so I use a small battery powered fan perched
> > right up against the draft door opening (my Weber chimney puts it at
> > the exact right height!)
> > Holy Turbo Boost Batman!
> >
> > monroe(whoosh-she's ready)

> I talked about doing this about a year ago, and you guys ripped me a new
> one for being too impatient. Since then, I've heard BOB say that he used
> a shop-vac to get his K started, and now this. What gives?

Hunh? I don't remember that particular ripping of a new one-
Most of the times I've had trouble is when I'm down to smaller pieces
of lump to try to grill with-the airflow through the pile gets kinda
stifled. Fanning with a record album cover is the classic way to get
recalcitrant coals lit. The extra airflow helps clear the ash from the
grate holes and blows it up into the dome as well-make sure there's no
food in the cooker when you do this.
This fan I speak of is about 6", runs on 4 D-cells and has foam rubber
blades. Got it at Wallyworld or Target I fergit which. It's a portable
beachgoing model-was over with all the sunbathing supplies.

monroe(more cfm)
JakBQuik

> > Monroe, of course... wrote:
> >

> > I talked about doing this about a year ago, and you guys ripped me a new
> > one for being too impatient. Since then, I've heard BOB say that he used
> > a shop-vac to get his K started, and now this. What gives?

> Hunh? I don't remember that particular ripping of a new one-
> Most of the times I've had trouble is when I'm down to smaller pieces
> of lump to try to grill with-the airflow through the pile gets kinda
> stifled. Fanning with a record album cover is the classic way to get
> recalcitrant coals lit. The extra airflow helps clear the ash from the
> grate holes and blows it up into the dome as well-make sure there's no
> food in the cooker when you do this.
> This fan I speak of is about 6", runs on 4 D-cells and has foam rubber
> blades. Got it at Wallyworld or Target I fergit which. It's a portable
> beachgoing model-was over with all the sunbathing supplies.
>
> monroe(more cfm)

You guys ever try grating a few strokes of magnesium on your charcoal piles?
;-) Starts it up real fast and it always makes the children nervous. Their
counselors say they get over it real fast, however.

Actually, I like the whole idea a of lower draft forced air blower white hot
unit makie fire burn right now oxygenating Bessemer-inspired high-temp
titanium blast furnace add-on....but I'm pretty happy right now with my
charcoal chimney. ;-)

John in Austin (hey to Monroe....hey to Goober!)

cl

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message
> This fan I speak of is about 6", runs on 4 D-cells and has foam rubber
> blades. Got it at Wallyworld or Target I fergit which. It's a portable
> beachgoing model-was over with all the sunbathing supplies.
>
> monroe(more cfm)

Hell, just break out the leaf blower.

cl

"cory" > wrote in message
.. .
> Monroe, of course... wrote:
> I talked about doing this about a year ago, and you guys ripped me a new
> one for being too impatient. Since then, I've heard BOB say that he used
> a shop-vac to get his K started, and now this. What gives?

Like I said, they are hypocrits.

It is so funny that they think they are cutting edge and know the grilling
and q world yet cannot even tell a person what type of 'Q a particular
section of the states is known for. Many people do this. You can even blow a
fan over the chimney of you k to increase air flow, but baby forced air is
where it is at . I'd presume the gas option accomplished the same task
though.

-CAL

cl

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> For pizza baking and seafood grilling, I have had my Kamado (with no mods,
> not even a hairdryer poised at the damper, or the food on a grate just

above
> the coals) up to a dome temp of 550-600°. This is plenty hot for searing
> anything.

Would you believe the lowly kettle will hit 550-600° 'dome' temps. I'd
imagine with a second exhaust cut in, even more. People don't realize it but
the porcelain enamal thermal barrier are pretty effective.

-CAL

Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 18 May 2004 02:47:41 GMT, "Monroe, of course..."
> wrote:

>Now sometimes, the darn thing won't get to 600-650F (my usual steak
>temp) with any expediency, so I use a small battery powered fan perched
>right up against the draft door opening (my Weber chimney puts it at
>the exact right height!)

You don't own a leaf blower?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 17 May 2004 19:30:53 -0500, cory >
wrote:

>Another technique he recommends, which I'm not likely to try, is to
>clear away the ashes and cook the meat directly on the hot coals. One
>thing is for sure, this guy is adventurous.

Google on "dirty steak" (with the quotes) if you ever get to feeling
adventerous. I've done it before, while camping. Not bad.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:24:42 GMT, "cl" > wrote:

>"cory" > wrote in message
. ..
>> Monroe, of course... wrote:
>> I talked about doing this about a year ago, and you guys ripped me a new
>> one for being too impatient. Since then, I've heard BOB say that he used
>> a shop-vac to get his K started, and now this. What gives?

>Like I said, they are hypocrits.
>
>It is so funny that they think they are cutting edge and know the grilling
>and q world yet cannot even tell a person what type of 'Q a particular
>section of the states is known for. Many people do this. You can even blow a
>fan over the chimney of you k to increase air flow, but baby forced air is
>where it is at . I'd presume the gas option accomplished the same task
>though.

Son, I'm guessing you haven't ever seen a K up close and personal.
Come back when you have.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Kevin S.
Wilson > wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 2004 02:47:41 GMT, "Monroe, of course..."
> > wrote:
>
> >Now sometimes, the darn thing won't get to 600-650F (my usual steak
> >temp) with any expediency, so I use a small battery powered fan perched
> >right up against the draft door opening (my Weber chimney puts it at
> >the exact right height!)

> You don't own a leaf blower?

Nope-I deal with leaves the old fashioned way-the Monroe Rake-o-Matic
5000. It runs on beer instead of nasty polluting gasoline.
A blower seems to be a little bit of overkill-like sledgehammering
houseflies. How do you keep the lump from flying out the damper top?

monroe(lawn&garden luddite)

Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:21:34 GMT, "Monroe, of course..."
> wrote:

>In article >, Kevin S.
>Wilson > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 18 May 2004 02:47:41 GMT, "Monroe, of course..."
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Now sometimes, the darn thing won't get to 600-650F (my usual steak
>> >temp) with any expediency, so I use a small battery powered fan perched
>> >right up against the draft door opening (my Weber chimney puts it at
>> >the exact right height!)

>> You don't own a leaf blower?

>Nope-I deal with leaves the old fashioned way-the Monroe Rake-o-Matic
>5000. It runs on beer instead of nasty polluting gasoline.
>A blower seems to be a little bit of overkill-like sledgehammering
>houseflies. How do you keep the lump from flying out the damper top?

My leaf blower is electric, with a LOW setting and a HIGH setting. On
LOW, it'll ramp my Ks up right fast. The lump doesn't go flying out
the damper, but the blower does send a shower of sparks flying.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Monroe, of course...

In article >, "JakBQuik"
> wrote:

> You guys ever try grating a few strokes of magnesium on your charcoal piles?
> ;-) Starts it up real fast and it always makes the children nervous. Their
> counselors say they get over it real fast, however.

Good Old Camp LottaPyro! ahh the memories...weaving baskets, making
napalm,blowing up dumpsters.....

> Actually, I like the whole idea a of lower draft forced air blower white hot
> unit makie fire burn right now oxygenating Bessemer-inspired high-temp
> titanium blast furnace add-on....but I'm pretty happy right now with my
> charcoal chimney. ;-)

Then there's the famous LOX footage.

> John in Austin (hey to Monroe....hey to Goober!)

Hey backatcher John - How's Awestun treatin ya?
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Kevin S.
Wilson > wrote:

> On Mon, 17 May 2004 19:30:53 -0500, cory >
> wrote:
> >
> >Another technique he recommends, which I'm not likely to try, is to
> >clear away the ashes and cook the meat directly on the hot coals. One
> >thing is for sure, this guy is adventurous.

> Google on "dirty steak" (with the quotes) if you ever get to feeling
> adventerous. I've done it before, while camping. Not bad.

A good mod for this kind of stunt cooking is to saltcrust the victim
before burying it in the coals. If you can carry a box of Kosher Salt
and eggs along, that is.

monroe(not so dirty steak)
M&M

On 17-May-2004, "Jason in Dallas" > wrote:

> His book describes a modification to a Weber Kettle whereby he plumbs a
> hairdryer into the fire area with a metal pipe. The purpose is to feed the
> fire and create very hot grilling conditions for insanely hot searing.
> This
> would be nice for things like grilled ahi, fillet mignon, skirt, stuff
> like
> that where you want really fast and hot. Kinda like a BBQ Guru on
> steroids
> and methamphetamine.
>
> I'm so intrigued by the idea I'm tempted to buy a kettle (I only have a
> gasser and bullet right now).

Sounds like an old fashioned blacksmith's forge. You can easily achieve
white hot heat with a blower of some kind. I don't think I'd want to try it
without firebrick under and around the fire.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
John O

> >and q world yet cannot even tell a person what type of 'Q a particular
> >section of the states is known for. Many people do this. You can even

blow a
> >fan over the chimney of you k to increase air flow, but baby forced air

is
> >where it is at . I'd presume the gas option accomplished the same task
> >though.
> >

> Son, I'm guessing you haven't ever seen a K up close and personal.
> Come back when you have.

Venturi effect? Can't be much though.

I've got one of these
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...uct_id=830-350
which is pretty handy around the kitchen and in the car, not to mention in a
muggy tent. Just a bit more subtle than a leaf blower, I'd say. A fireplace
bellows works pretty well, especially when I'm in a hurry to get that
chimney going.

John O

John O

> > You guys ever try grating a few strokes of magnesium on your charcoal
piles?
> > ;-) Starts it up real fast and it always makes the children nervous.

Their
> > counselors say they get over it real fast, however.

I never leave home on a camping trip without my piece of magnesium. Tres
cool. BTW, that no-water needed hand cleaner starts fires real well. Never
use that stuff near flames, I always say.

-John O

Default User

"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:

> On Mon, 17 May 2004 19:30:53 -0500, cory >
> wrote:
> >
> >Another technique he recommends, which I'm not likely to try, is to
> >clear away the ashes and cook the meat directly on the hot coals. One
> >thing is for sure, this guy is adventurous.

> Google on "dirty steak" (with the quotes) if you ever get to feeling
> adventerous. I've done it before, while camping. Not bad.

Yeah, that's an old Boy Scout technique.

Brian Rodenborn

"M&M" > wrote:
> []
> Sounds like an old fashioned blacksmith's forge. You can easily achieve
> white hot heat with a blower of some kind. I don't think I'd want to try
> it without firebrick under and around the fire.

Us forgers used ta use coke (real char-coal, not the white powder) in the
forge. And yeah, you could easily get the iron or steel white hot, sparking
or even melting when the blower was goin'. Definitely need refractory
bricks, like the Brickster says. Never tried doin' a steak on it, though.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
cl

"John O" > wrote in message
> > >and q world yet cannot even tell a person what type of 'Q a particular
> > >section of the states is known for. Many people do this. You can even

> blow a
> > >fan over the chimney of you k to increase air flow, but baby forced air

> is
> > >where it is at . I'd presume the gas option accomplished the same task
> > >though.
> > >

> > Son, I'm guessing you haven't ever seen a K up close and personal.
> > Come back when you have.

> Venturi effect? Can't be much though.

Bernoulli effect actually but really try it . Its biggest advantage is you
are less likely to blow ash on the food if you are in need of 'boost'

However the K itself is a good model for the Venturi effect.

-CAL

-CAL

cl

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote:

>> Many people do this. You can even blow a
> >fan over the chimney of you k to increase air flow, but baby forced air

is
> >where it is at . I'd presume the gas option accomplished the same task
> >though.
> >

> Son, I'm guessing you haven't ever seen a K up close and personal.
> Come back when you have.

Yes I have. What the hell is that supposed to mean? I'm curious as to the
exception you take to the statement

-CAL

BOB

cory wrote:
> Monroe, of course... wrote:
>
>> Ahh yes-tripping the light fantastic on a Kamado! I've only pegged mine
>> once so far. The secret to avoiding runaways (other than damping down)
>> is not to load so much lump in for a grilling session.
>> Now sometimes, the darn thing won't get to 600-650F (my usual steak
>> temp) with any expediency, so I use a small battery powered fan perched
>> right up against the draft door opening (my Weber chimney puts it at
>> the exact right height!)
>> Holy Turbo Boost Batman!
>>
>> monroe(whoosh-she's ready)

> I talked about doing this about a year ago, and you guys ripped me a new
> one for being too impatient. Since then, I've heard BOB say that he used
> a shop-vac to get his K started, and now this. What gives?

I don't remember this...I also don't remember the shop-vac reference, since the
exhause on *my* shop-vac doesn't have a fitting for the hose. I do remember
saying that the shop-vac is the best way to remove the ashes, though. (make sure
that there are no burning embers.)

BOB

cl

"Jason in Dallas" > wrote in message
. ..
> > > For pizza baking and seafood grilling, I have had my Kamado (with no

> mods,
> > > not even a hairdryer poised at the damper, or the food on a grate just

> above
> > > the coals) up to a dome temp of 550-600°. This is plenty hot for

> searing
> > > anything.

> > Would you believe the lowly kettle will hit 550-600° 'dome' temps. I'd
> > imagine with a second exhaust cut in, even more.

> 550-600 might be enough for you guys but it's certianly not "plenty hot

for
> searing anything." Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, for example, broils at 1800
> degrees.

Dont confuse the ambient temperature of the lid with that of the grate
temperature. In the case of the 600°, the grate temp as measured by a king
cooker thermometer maxed (over 750°) . No forced induction but the grate
temp was taken with the same fire before putting the top on

Like I told you yesterday a CI pan can be just as effective given a large
burner . A red/orange color I can get is in the 1400-1600° range of the
often quoted TEC ceramic burners temp(seems now one knows first hand what
the grate temperatures actually measured are) However the faster heat
transfer of CI makes a much lower temp(800° range) just as effective as the
radiant TEC burner.

> Hell, on a good day my weber genesis gas grill will push 600 but
> I'd be thrilled to double that output. If you want a black-and-blue steak

or
> crusty char-rare ahi tuna you ain't gonna get it by cooking at 600

degrees.

The low tech works, just be sure to do it outside. After the sear toss it
onto the grill.

-CAL

cory

BOB wrote:

> cory wrote:
>
>>Monroe, of course... wrote:
>>

>>>Ahh yes-tripping the light fantastic on a Kamado! I've only pegged mine
>>>once so far. The secret to avoiding runaways (other than damping down)
>>>is not to load so much lump in for a grilling session.
>>>Now sometimes, the darn thing won't get to 600-650F (my usual steak
>>>temp) with any expediency, so I use a small battery powered fan perched
>>>right up against the draft door opening (my Weber chimney puts it at
>>>the exact right height!)
>>>Holy Turbo Boost Batman!
>>>
>>>monroe(whoosh-she's ready)

>>I talked about doing this about a year ago, and you guys ripped me a new
>>one for being too impatient. Since then, I've heard BOB say that he used
>>a shop-vac to get his K started, and now this. What gives?

> I don't remember this...I also don't remember the shop-vac reference, since the
> exhause on *my* shop-vac doesn't have a fitting for the hose. I do remember
> saying that the shop-vac is the best way to remove the ashes, though. (make sure
> that there are no burning embers.)
>
> BOB

I may be mistaken. Forget I said it -- sorry.

alton brown Somebody 1.0 General Cooking 8 04-10-2012 09:27 AM
Alton Brown last night ravenlynne[_5_] General Cooking 51 08-12-2010 06:46 PM
What's up with Alton Brown? Jack[_18_] General Cooking 12 30-09-2009 06:46 PM
Alton Brown Me General Cooking 55 04-07-2005 08:10 PM
Alton Brown is Elton Brown all growed up Blair P. Houghton General Cooking 4 18-03-2004 06:11 AM