Me

Default Alton Brown

The "Jumping the Shark" thread got me to wandering -- What do you think of
his show and his cooking?

Goomba38

Me wrote:

> The "Jumping the Shark" thread got me to wandering -- What do you think of
> his show and his cooking?

Love him. Love his ingenuity. Love his expertise. Love his quirkiness.
Goomba
-L.

Me wrote:
> The "Jumping the Shark" thread got me to wandering -- What do you think of
> his show and his cooking?

Can't stand the guy. I was so disappointed that they made him
announcer for Iron Chef America.

-L.

Mike Van Pelt

In article >, Me > wrote:
>The "Jumping the Shark" thread got me to wandering -- What do
>you think of his show and his cooking?

I like his show a lot. I enjoy the off-center humor, even if
he does get a bit goof-ball from time to time, and I really like
the scientific explanation for why you do certain things. It
seems lately that he's kind of reaching for new things to talk
about. I hope this isn't a Bad Sign, but so far, I'm still
liking the show.

--
Infamy is like a pair of tight leather pants in | Mike Van Pelt
the Amazon. It might LOOK cool, but after just | mvp at calweb.com
a couple of hours it chafes, and that's just | KE6BVH
the start of your problems. -- Howard Tayler
kilikini

"Me" > wrote in message
> The "Jumping the Shark" thread got me to wandering -- What do you think

of
> his show and his cooking?

It's my husband's favorite show, but when it comes to BBQ, my hubby doesn't
think Alton knows what he's doing. Too many ingredients for a rub, for
instance and always too much sugar. Still, compared to Bobby Flay, Alton's
the bomb.

kili

big fish

"Me" > wrote in message
> The "Jumping the Shark" thread got me to wandering -- What do you think
> of his show and his cooking?

I stopped watching his show after I got physically sick watching an episode.
The herky, jerky non-stop movement of the camera actually made me sick to my
stomach. Haven't watched it since and don't miss it.

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 30 Jun 2005 03:31:26a, big fish wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Me" > wrote in message
>> The "Jumping the Shark" thread got me to wandering -- What do you
>> think of his show and his cooking?
>>

> I stopped watching his show after I got physically sick watching an
> episode. The herky, jerky non-stop movement of the camera actually made
> me sick to my stomach. Haven't watched it since and don't miss it.

In that case, amusement park rides must be a real thrill for you!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0526-3, 06/30/2005
Tested on: 6/30/2005 5:08:00 AM

AlleyGator

"Me" > wrote:

>The "Jumping the Shark" thread got me to wandering -- What do you think of
>his show and his cooking?

One of the few FTV shows that are tolerable. Along with Food 911 and
the occasional Al Roker special.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
kilikini

"AlleyGator" > wrote in message
> "Me" > wrote:
>
> >The "Jumping the Shark" thread got me to wandering -- What do you think

of
> >his show and his cooking?
> >

> One of the few FTV shows that are tolerable. Along with Food 911 and
> the occasional Al Roker special.
>
> --

I kind of like Unwrapped, too.

kili

AlleyGator

"kilikini" > wrote:

>I kind of like Unwrapped, too.
>
>kili

Forgot that one - yes, it's pretty interesting.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.

Mark Shaw

kilikini > wrote:

> "Me" > wrote in message
> > The "Jumping the Shark" thread got me to wandering -- What do you think

> of
> > his show and his cooking?

> It's my husband's favorite show, but when it comes to BBQ, my hubby doesn't
> think Alton knows what he's doing. Too many ingredients for a rub, for
> instance and always too much sugar. Still, compared to Bobby Flay, Alton's
> the bomb.

I feel pretty much the same way - he's a geek's cook, and I'm
definitely a geek. (To show you just how much: I've got all but
a couple of his episodes on videotape, and am in the process of
copying them over to DVD.)

But he does get a few things wrong. His homebrewing show was
laughably inaccurate, for one. And there's definitely some-
thing screwy with his buttercream frosting; I'm no slouch in
the kitchen and I've tried three times to get it to come
together without success....

I tend to be an exact measurer (I weigh my dry pasta before
boiling it, ferpetesake) and a latex-glove-wearer, so Alton
fits right in with me. My brother is from the opposite school,
mostly eschewing recipes and just tossing ingredients into a
pot till things taste right. He had the idea of the two of us
hosting a cooking show modelled loosely on the NPR "Car Talk"
show, called "Don't Cook Like My Brother."

If I didn't have the day job, it might be fun....

--
Mark Shaw
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
kilikini

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
> kilikini > wrote:
>
> > "Me" > wrote in message
> > > The "Jumping the Shark" thread got me to wandering -- What do you

think
> > of
> > > his show and his cooking?

> > It's my husband's favorite show, but when it comes to BBQ, my hubby

doesn't
> > think Alton knows what he's doing. Too many ingredients for a rub, for
> > instance and always too much sugar. Still, compared to Bobby Flay,

Alton's
> > the bomb.

> I feel pretty much the same way - he's a geek's cook, and I'm
> definitely a geek. (To show you just how much: I've got all but
> a couple of his episodes on videotape, and am in the process of
> copying them over to DVD.)
>
> But he does get a few things wrong. His homebrewing show was
> laughably inaccurate, for one. And there's definitely some-
> thing screwy with his buttercream frosting; I'm no slouch in
> the kitchen and I've tried three times to get it to come
> together without success....
>
> I tend to be an exact measurer (I weigh my dry pasta before
> boiling it, ferpetesake) and a latex-glove-wearer, so Alton
> fits right in with me. My brother is from the opposite school,
> mostly eschewing recipes and just tossing ingredients into a
> pot till things taste right. He had the idea of the two of us
> hosting a cooking show modelled loosely on the NPR "Car Talk"
> show, called "Don't Cook Like My Brother."
>
> If I didn't have the day job, it might be fun....
>
> --
> Mark Shaw

Heck to cook for a day job? I'm all for it! But yeah, he does get some
things wrong. Oh well. Does he write his own material or is that FTVN?

kili

sf

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:03:26 +0000 (UTC), Mark Shaw wrote:

> I tend to be an exact measurer (I weigh my dry pasta before
> boiling it, ferpetesake)

yep, you're a geek alright. LOL
sf

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 06:31:26 -0400, big fish wrote:

> The herky, jerky non-stop movement of the camera actually made me sick to my
> stomach.

I like him a lot, but don't watch... that's probably the reason.
ccrevival

Good Eats and America's Test Kitchen are the only two cooking shows I
watch, and even record every now and then. I like the information
overload, the scientific reasoning, and ultimately, they cook food that
we normally would make and eat at home. My favorite Good Eats shows are
the most basic one, ie. eggs, pancakes, hamburgers, steak, sandwiches,
etc.

The Joneses

ccrevival wrote:

> Good Eats and America's Test Kitchen are the only two cooking shows I
> watch, and even record every now and then. I like the information
> overload, the scientific reasoning, and ultimately, they cook food that
> we normally would make and eat at home. My favorite Good Eats shows are
> the most basic one, ie. eggs, pancakes, hamburgers, steak, sandwiches,
> etc.

Remembering that these shows are also entertainment, I watch lots of them,
whenever my hands are busy with sit down chores. Sometimes I think Alton is
overly fussy, but I love him just the same. Sometimes his jerry rigs are
comic. Just like no one book covers everything on a subject, I take what I
like and leave the rest. I like "W."
Edrena

A.C.

AlleyGator wrote:

> One of the few FTV shows that are tolerable. Along with Food 911 and
> the occasional Al Roker special.

al roker does have some decent specials. he's just such a likeable guy. tyler is
also decent but i'd rather watch giada 'cause she's easier on the eyes. alton
is good too. lots of good information but i rarely like his recipes. 'cept maybe
for the GE roasted turkey which is damn good. everything else is kinda sucky.
i'm southern so i do watch paula deen once in a while. my only beef with her is
that she does LOTS of sweet dishes/deserts and i like more of the savory stuff.
i like mario too. he does some weird shit, but like alton, i can gleen some
information and technique from what he's doing.

forrestmouth

I love him on Good Eats but hate him on Iron Chef.

As others have said before, GE is a geek's cooking show. I like how he
gets into the _why_ of cooking. Corny at times, yes, but understanding
the science of cooking helps with any recipe. I just watched his
episode where he made broth in a pressure cooker and wanted to run out
and get a pressure cooker right then. I also like all his time/money
saving tips. In the episode in question, he suggested using cheese
cloth instead of a chinoise filter, $.90 vs $90.

On Iron Chef, Alton ****es me off to no end. I don't want to know that
the caviar they are using is from some endangered species. Iron Chef is
a fantasy show and here Alton's geekiness brings ICA down to Earth. Bad
bad bad.

-FM

Jim Nelson

"forrestmouth" > wrote in
oups.com:

> I love him on Good Eats but hate him on Iron Chef.
>
> As others have said before, GE is a geek's cooking show. I like
> how he gets into the _why_ of cooking. Corny at times, yes, but
> understanding the science of cooking helps with any recipe. I just
> watched his episode where he made broth in a pressure cooker and
> wanted to run out and get a pressure cooker right then. I also
> like all his time/money saving tips. In the episode in question,
> he suggested using cheese cloth instead of a chinoise filter, $.90
> vs $90.

I haven't used many of AB's recipies, but I do sometimes adapt his
methods. I saw him steam crab legs in the microwave by wrapping
them in wet paper towels, and then in plastic wrap. Turns out this
is also a great way to cook corn on the cob.
Dee Randall

"Jim Nelson" > wrote in message
> "forrestmouth" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
>> I love him on Good Eats but hate him on Iron Chef.
>>
>> As others have said before, GE is a geek's cooking show. I like
>> how he gets into the _why_ of cooking. Corny at times, yes, but
>> understanding the science of cooking helps with any recipe. I just
>> watched his episode where he made broth in a pressure cooker and
>> wanted to run out and get a pressure cooker right then. I also
>> like all his time/money saving tips. In the episode in question,
>> he suggested using cheese cloth instead of a chinoise filter, $.90
>> vs $90.
>>

> I haven't used many of AB's recipies, but I do sometimes adapt his
> methods. I saw him steam crab legs in the microwave by wrapping
> them in wet paper towels, and then in plastic wrap. Turns out this
> is also a great way to cook corn on the cob.

I've found the best way to cook corn on the cob is to loosen the bottom to
see if there are any bugs, then re-fit it. Just stick the whole un-shucked
ear of corn in the microwave. The outer layer of the corn is a great
steamer for the corn. Plus it gives it an even cornier taste.
Dee

Charlene Charette

Jim Nelson wrote:

> "forrestmouth" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>

>>I love him on Good Eats but hate him on Iron Chef.
>>
>>As others have said before, GE is a geek's cooking show. I like
>>how he gets into the _why_ of cooking. Corny at times, yes, but
>>understanding the science of cooking helps with any recipe. I just
>>watched his episode where he made broth in a pressure cooker and
>>wanted to run out and get a pressure cooker right then. I also
>>like all his time/money saving tips. In the episode in question,
>>he suggested using cheese cloth instead of a chinoise filter, $.90
>>vs $90.
>>

> I haven't used many of AB's recipies, but I do sometimes adapt his
> methods. I saw him steam crab legs in the microwave by wrapping
> them in wet paper towels, and then in plastic wrap. Turns out this
> is also a great way to cook corn on the cob.

Alton's the only reason I watch Iron Chef.

--Charlene

--
Nonconformist: A conformist with a relatively obscure role model. --
Bayan, Rick; The Cynic's Dictionary, 2002

email perronnelle at earthlink . net

Me wrote:
> The "Jumping the Shark" thread got me to wandering -- What do you think of
> his show and his cooking?

I really enjoy "Good Eats": AB's quirkiness (very refreshing), the
off-beat humor, the explanation of cooking how and why, and the recipes
I've tried. I guess it comes down to "so what's not to like".

Mac

sf

On 30 Jun 2005 16:54:00 -0700, forrestmouth wrote:

> On Iron Chef, Alton ****es me off to no end. I don't want to know that
> the caviar they are using is from some endangered species. Iron Chef is
> a fantasy show and here Alton's geekiness brings ICA down to Earth. Bad
> bad bad.

I haven't watched even one episode... does he really point out the
fish is endangered? If so, good for him!
Mark Shaw

forrestmouth > wrote:
> As others have said before, GE is a geek's cooking show. I like how he
> gets into the _why_ of cooking. Corny at times, yes, but understanding
> the science of cooking helps with any recipe. I just watched his
> episode where he made broth in a pressure cooker and wanted to run out
> and get a pressure cooker right then.

Ummmm. (blush)

That's exactly what I did.

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"All of my mistakes are giving me ideas." - Natalie Lileks
Charlene Charette

sf wrote:

> On 30 Jun 2005 16:54:00 -0700, forrestmouth wrote:
>

>> On Iron Chef, Alton ****es me off to no end. I don't want to know that
>> the caviar they are using is from some endangered species. Iron Chef is
>> a fantasy show and here Alton's geekiness brings ICA down to Earth. Bad
>> bad bad.

> I haven't watched even one episode... does he really point out the
> fish is endangered? If so, good for him!

I belive in that episode Alton was pointing out that the cavier was
*not* from an endangered species.

--Charlene

--
Nonconformist: A conformist with a relatively obscure role model. --
Bayan, Rick; The Cynic's Dictionary, 2002

email perronnelle at earthlink . net

Ariane Jenkins

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 22:34:10 -0500, sd > wrote:

> Yeah, but how many times can one watch a big glop of sugar, corn
> sweetener, food dye, and gums roll out of a vat onto a table or some
> junk food get squirted into a mold? Unwrapped is fun to watch a few
> times, but watching it frequently will induce deja vu.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. It's mildly interesting, but most of the
time it just seems like one long ad for whatever product is featured.

Ariane

sf

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 02:55:08 GMT, Charlene Charette wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > I haven't watched even one episode... does he really point out the
> > fish is endangered? If so, good for him!

> I belive in that episode Alton was pointing out that the cavier was
> *not* from an endangered species.

Thanks! If so and if true, that's fine too! Beluga sturgeon (Caspian
Sea) is endangered.

widewoman

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 08:23:47 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On 30 Jun 2005 16:54:00 -0700, forrestmouth wrote:
>
>> On Iron Chef, Alton ****es me off to no end. I don't want to know that
>> the caviar they are using is from some endangered species. Iron Chef is
>> a fantasy show and here Alton's geekiness brings ICA down to Earth. Bad
>> bad bad.

>I haven't watched even one episode... does he really point out the
>fish is endangered? If so, good for him!

I'v eonly vaguely heard of iron chef america and couldn't believe that
they'd copy such an entirely stupid show..Iron Chef. I'd hope that it
wasn't anything like Iron Chef..beyond that it's a contest. Anyway,
I'd hope Alton does what Alton does, that's what's fun about him. And
yeah I would do the same, point out stuff like that. Someone hast o
have a social conscience. People didn't want to know that veal was
produced by torturing calves either. Personally, I'm not a social
activist or anything.. but I've never eaten veal, and rarely even see
it for sale, but I won't eat it based on the price alone! LOL

Anyway, I'll never see Alton on any of his shows anymore, canceled
cable and won't resubscribe. I object to paying for 27 hours of
infomercials a night and some more in the day, religious, sports, and
politics .. all the stuff I hate.. when there's so much more of that
than programming I want to see.. and when the rates got to be more
than 10% of my income, I felt like I was paying tithe to an evil
empire that was abusing me and providing an inferior product and
signal, so I canceled! I have 5 VCRs to tape what's watchable on
broadcast tv now, and I watch the tapes of all the stuff that's on
opposite one another in prime time..through the middle of the night
when I'm awake and there's nothing on but informercials.

And I've blathered on too long, but I do miss Alton!

Janice
serene

Ariane Jenkins > wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 22:34:10 -0500, sd > wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, but how many times can one watch a big glop of sugar, corn
> > sweetener, food dye, and gums roll out of a vat onto a table or some
> > junk food get squirted into a mold? Unwrapped is fun to watch a few
> > times, but watching it frequently will induce deja vu.

> Yeah, I'd have to agree. It's mildly interesting, but most of the
> time it just seems like one long ad for whatever product is featured.

I adore it. It reminds me of Picture Picture on Mr. Rogers'
Neighborhood, and I go all nostalgic and stuff. Plus, I just love
seeing how things work and/or are made. Purrrr.

serene
sf

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:33:31 -0600, widewoman wrote:

> Anyway, I'll never see Alton on any of his shows anymore, canceled
> cable and won't resubscribe. I object to paying for 27 hours of
> infomercials a night and some more in the day, religious, sports, and
> politics .. all the stuff I hate.. when there's so much more of that
> than programming I want to see.. and when the rates got to be more
> than 10% of my income, I felt like I was paying tithe to an evil
> empire that was abusing me and providing an inferior product and
> signal, so I canceled!

Cable isn't cheap, that's for sure... and I can still afford it.

> I have 5 VCRs to tape what's watchable on
> broadcast tv now, and I watch the tapes of all the stuff that's on
> opposite one another in prime time..through the middle of the night
> when I'm awake and there's nothing on but informercials.

While I could certainly live w/o cable, I'd miss Discovery and the
History Channed (however, Public Television has excellent shows that
would take my tears away).

> And I've blathered on too long, but I do miss Alton!

Come back and see us sometime!

itsjoannotjoann

> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:33:31 -0600, widewoman wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I'll never see Alton on any of his shows anymore, canceled
> > cable and won't resubscribe. I object to paying for 27 hours of
> > infomercials a night and some more in the day, religious, sports, and
> > politics .. all the stuff I hate.. when there's so much more of that
> > than programming I want to see.. and when the rates got to be more
> > than 10% of my income, I felt like I was paying tithe to an evil
> > empire that was abusing me and providing an inferior product and
> > signal, so I canceled!

This is one of the reasons I dropped cable almost 5 years ago.
Whenever we got a new channel, we had to give up one of the older ones
(stupid rules). There were so many religious channels begging, crying,
pleading for money. I switched to satellite and have not regretted it
one moment.

sarah bennett

serene wrote:
> Ariane Jenkins > wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 22:34:10 -0500, sd > wrote:
>>
>>>Yeah, but how many times can one watch a big glop of sugar, corn
>>>sweetener, food dye, and gums roll out of a vat onto a table or some
>>>junk food get squirted into a mold? Unwrapped is fun to watch a few
>>>times, but watching it frequently will induce deja vu.

>> Yeah, I'd have to agree. It's mildly interesting, but most of the
>>time it just seems like one long ad for whatever product is featured.

> I adore it. It reminds me of Picture Picture on Mr. Rogers'
> Neighborhood, and I go all nostalgic and stuff. Plus, I just love
> seeing how things work and/or are made. Purrrr.
>
> serene

on the pbs kids website, they have video of a whole bunch of those
picture picture short films:

http://pbskids.org/rogers/R_house/picpic.htm

my daughter loves the crayon one (which still brings back memories of
childhood for me :> )

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
sarah bennett

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:33:31 -0600, widewoman wrote:
>

>> Anyway, I'll never see Alton on any of his shows anymore, canceled
>> cable and won't resubscribe. I object to paying for 27 hours of
>> infomercials a night and some more in the day, religious, sports, and
>> politics .. all the stuff I hate.. when there's so much more of that
>> than programming I want to see.. and when the rates got to be more
>> than 10% of my income, I felt like I was paying tithe to an evil
>> empire that was abusing me and providing an inferior product and
>> signal, so I canceled!

> Cable isn't cheap, that's for sure... and I can still afford it.
>

>> I have 5 VCRs to tape what's watchable on
>> broadcast tv now, and I watch the tapes of all the stuff that's on
>> opposite one another in prime time..through the middle of the night
>> when I'm awake and there's nothing on but informercials.
>>

> While I could certainly live w/o cable, I'd miss Discovery and the
> History Channed (however, Public Television has excellent shows that
> would take my tears away).

We were without cable for about 6 months last year. I wish i could pick
which channels i wanted without having to subscribe to all the crap.
there are maybe 15 channels (including hbo) that i watch. i really dont
need 300.

>> And I've blathered on too long, but I do miss Alton!

> Come back and see us sometime!

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
serene

sarah bennett > wrote:

> on the pbs kids website, they have video of a whole bunch of those
> picture picture short films:
>
> http://pbskids.org/rogers/R_house/picpic.htm

Ooh, thank you!!

> my daughter loves the crayon one (which still brings back memories of
> childhood for me :> )

The ones that stuck in my head were the pencils and the tubas.

serene
serene

sarah bennett > wrote:

> We were without cable for about 6 months last year. I wish i could pick
> which channels i wanted without having to subscribe to all the crap.
> there are maybe 15 channels (including hbo) that i watch. i really dont
> need 300.

We have cable because it's $2 more a month than not having it (we buy
their cable internet and there's a discount on the package), but we
haven't bothered hooking up the TV to it since we got it a year or so
ago. We just don't care much about TV, except as a method for watching
videos.

serene

sarah bennett

serene wrote:
> sarah bennett > wrote:
>

>>on the pbs kids website, they have video of a whole bunch of those
>>picture picture short films:
>>
>>http://pbskids.org/rogers/R_house/picpic.htm

> Ooh, thank you!!

you are very welcome.

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
sf

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 16:11:00 GMT, sarah bennett wrote:

> We were without cable for about 6 months last year. I wish i could pick
> which channels i wanted without having to subscribe to all the crap.
> there are maybe 15 channels (including hbo) that i watch. i really dont
> need 300.

I can relate! I'm in a very unusual situation of living in a city
with "9 million" signals in the air, but most signals are weak due to
the topography of where I am. I wouldn't have cable tv if it wasn't
for that problem.... and I could live very nicely on dial up too.

sf

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 16:09:00 GMT, sarah bennett wrote:

> on the pbs kids website, they have video of a whole bunch of those
> picture picture short films:
>
> http://pbskids.org/rogers/R_house/picpic.htm
>
> my daughter loves the crayon one (which still brings back memories of
> childhood for me :> )

Many thanks for the pointer, I've bookmarked it... but am having
trouble accessing the videos right now (operation timed out). I guess
everyone who read this post is visiting at the moment!

LOL
Rusty

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:04:07 -0700, "Me" > wrote:

>The "Jumping the Shark" thread got me to wandering -- What do you think of
>his show and his cooking?

I like his show and record every episode on our Dish Network PVR (TIVO
type recorder). I have been transfering the shows to DVD on my new DVD
recorder. I know the shows are for sale on DVD, but what's the fun in
that?

The shows are very informative and I've used a lot of his recipes and
tips while cooking.

Rusty

Alton Brown - lentils Janet Bostwick General Cooking 3 01-03-2013 11:34 PM
alton brown Somebody 1.0 General Cooking 8 04-10-2012 09:27 AM
What's up with Alton Brown? Jack[_18_] General Cooking 12 30-09-2009 06:46 PM
alton brown smoker Barbecue 3 31-03-2006 07:47 AM
Alton Brown is Elton Brown all growed up Blair P. Houghton General Cooking 4 18-03-2004 06:11 AM