JD

Default Grilldome or Kamado No. 5 [So OT by now]

"Cam" > wrote in message
> "JD" > wrote in message
> >. ..
>>
>> You have much to learn about maintaining a sustainable market,
>> grasshopper.
>> Diluting your customer base to a well heeled few subjects you to the
>> likelihood of a very inconsistent demand which plays hell on your
>> cashflow.
>> Kamado is much better off with a lot of customers that are committed
>> enough
>> to wait 6 months than a few trust fund kiddies that change their
>> minds as
>> often their underwear. Kamado is in the business turning pottery
>> into cash
>> in the most efficient manner *not* to satisfy your childish
>> obsession with
>> instant gratification. I'm sure they have their business plan
>> squared away
>> far better than you're capable of understanding. Now. go back to your
>> lemonade stand. <plonk>
>>
>> JD
>>

> If Kamado doesn't increase production they will have the same number
> of customers either way. Imagine if they improved their CS reputation
> to the same standard as they have for their cookers. Would the waiting
> list be even longer? Of course it would. At that point why wouldn't
> they raise their prices?

Fear is a good reason. Richard Johnson runs a small company and he probably
wears a lot of hats. His product is already spendy and he probably feels
he's reached a threshold where he has a demand backlog that he's comfortable
with. Raising prices will shorten the backlog but make the demand more
volatile. When you're paying bills and trying to make sure your employees
have long term security backlog is a buffer that smooths out demand cycles.
The guy obviously wants to stay in business for the long term.

> Cam
> Lemonade? Yes please.

For you that'll be $10 if you want it now.

JD

Jason

"cl" > wrote in message >...

> I just wonder how long it will be before you can pick up one like a K at
> your local wally world for $149.

Try "negative six months". It's already happened and it was a
resounding flop. They appeared about a year ago. I saw the price drop
on the Wal-Mart sold, Mexican made clay cooker drop from $199 to $169
to $99 over the course of two or three months. It was manufactured by
Two Trees Products, IIRC.

The cart and cast metal top were nice. The cooker was pretty ugly. I
think they marked it down to $75. I went in the next day, talked to
the Garden Dept. manager, told her "I'll give ya $25 for it and not
return it if it cracks." She thought about it for about two seconds
and took me up on the offer.

"Damned glad to get rid of it!" was about all she said. They didn't
sell a single one at the original price.

Funny thing about your grand idea. The Wally World K's were cheaper,
had a much better distribution with instant delivery, probably cooked
as well as an original Kamado, and yet, still failed miserably.

I guess you're just completely, unabashedly wrong, huh?

I sold it on eBay after I ordered my second Kamado, a #5. The guy who
bought it was waiting for his real Kamado #7 to arrive and wanted
something to dick around with in the meantime. I thought I'd use it,
but after looking at it in the backyard next to my #7 I knew it would
only lead to frustration.

BTW, I took delivery of my #5 in under three weeks time from the day I
ordered since I was in the right place at the right time. Two other
people at the competition got screaming deals on a #7 and #9, too. The
green #7 with all of the stainless options and two side tables sold
for $1,000 and sold very quickly. The blue #9 just barely fit into the
back of the new owner's Excursion with the top removed. I don't know
what he paid, but he got a deal. I got a screamin' deal, too. Ya'll
would call me a liar, so I won't say anything else about it.

However, I'd also worked my ass off for three days and helped to
generate lots of interest and quite a few sales for Kamado. Figure in
time invested and it about evens out.

Apologies to the newsgroup for dredging this up from close to a month
ago, but I figured a verified, real world trashing of his
"speculation" (again) would be amusing to most.
cl

Jason (when pumped by a bunch of xenon lamps) incoherently spewed:

> "cl" > wrote in message >...
>
> > I just wonder how long it will be before you can pick up one like a K at
> > your local wally world for $149.

> Try "negative six months". It's already happened and it was a
> resounding flop.

.....cut
> The cart and cast metal top were nice. The cooker was pretty ugly. I
> think they marked it down to $75. I went in the next day, talked to
> the Garden Dept. manager, told her "I'll give ya $25 for it and not
> return it if it cracks."

Are you forgetful, an embellisher or a liar? You said it was marked down
to $50 in this post and now it is $75:

http://tinyurl.com/ys7tq

"Heads up to anyone interested in the Super Que from Wal Mart.
The one down the street from me had their last Super Que marked down
to $50."

> Funny thing about your grand idea. The Wally World K's were cheaper,
> had a much better distribution with instant delivery, probably cooked
> as well as an original Kamado, and yet, still failed miserably.

So do you feel stupid spending a grand on something that was closely
approximated by a $25 unit? Imagine what a little refinement could do.
Well, don't strain that little bit of gray matter too much.

> I guess you're just completely, unabashedly wrong, huh?

How can you be wrong by asking a question? "I just wonder how long it
will be before you can pick up one like a K at your local wally world
for $149"?

You are an idiot Mr Creager.

> Apologies to the newsgroup for dredging this up from close to a month
> ago, but I figured a verified, real world trashing of his
> "speculation" (again) would be amusing to most.

What is amusing is that you have so little going on in your life (read
you are a loser) and decided to google me just hoping to get a reach
around from a bunch of clay pot fanatics. You have an interesting life I
take it. Damn, maybe tommorow you will diversify your time and catch an
episode of Sponge Bob! You da man.

-CAL

Kamado does right by me. Matthew L. Martin Barbecue 5 12-04-2005 02:51 AM
BGE or Kamado fatsam Barbecue 29 07-09-2004 09:49 PM
Saw our first Kamado bk Barbecue 5 24-07-2004 11:23 PM
Kamado Dave Barbecue 26 29-06-2004 02:44 AM
Kamado On E-Bay JL Barbecue 10 20-12-2003 04:55 PM