SCUBApix

Default Grilldome or Kamado No. 5

"Ken Sternberg" > wrote in message
om...
> Alright. I get that Kamado's customer service could use some
> polishing. Other than that, how do folks who have used the Grilldome
> and Kamado for a year or two like them?

JD

"cl" > wrote in message
news
> "JD" > wrote in message
>> I don't own a K nor do I see one replacing my WSM any time soon. I
>> *do* however understand small businesses with limited production
>> capacity. The quality of the product and the level of service will
>> only be as good as it takes to sell their production capacity. If
>> the demand still exceeds capacity the quality and service will
>> decrease accordingly. Trust me, it's how business works and all your
>> indignant ranting and waving your money around won't change it.
>>
>> JD

> Why be complacent with crap service? I've dealt with many custom
> shops and many have not only had the best products in their realm but
> they also gave me a sense of friendship. Regardless of what you
> might feel, this is a place where many people can standup to the
> plate and produce a superior product. Isn't it funny how many similar
> products have come to the market? Just wait and see.
>
> -CAL

No one is suggesting you be complacent but if you want a Kamado as many
people apparently do, you're going to get it their way. At such time that
someone comes up with a Kamado clone that cuts into their sales will you see
Kamado change it's marketing and service. I'm not holding my breath since
potteryheads are a bit cult-like in their devotion.

JD

SCUBApix

"Ken Sternberg" > wrote in message
om...
> Alright. I get that Kamado's customer service could use some
> polishing. Other than that, how do folks who have used the Grilldome
> and Kamado for a year or two like them?

I've had my Grill Dome since mid-September of last year. It is great! No
problems holding temps, no cracking of anything, no spalling (sp?) or
hairline cracks anywhere. I think all ceramic cookers will cook great.
Choose a specific one based on the quality of the product and customer
service. Grill Dome wins hands down, IMHO.

SCUBApix

"Ken Sternberg" > wrote in message
om...
> Thanks, everyone, for your fine and helpful comments. Sorry that I
> wasn't clear in my original message. I didn't think I'd find anyone
> who had owned both types of grills. I was hoping for comments from
> anyone who has owned either one.
>
> I know Grilldome has stainless parts (one model) and a lifetime
> warranty. I can't say I feel like rewarding any company that puts such
> a low priority on customer service.

Ken, Are you saying that Grill Dome puts a low priority on customer service?
If so, I think you have been led far astray. They have excellent customer
service. Check their forum out and try to find negative comments on customer
service. You won't find it.

cl

"JD" > wrote :

> I'm not holding my breath since
> potteryheads are a bit cult-like in their devotion.

Sure they do. However only because they are ignorantly giving that power to
Richard that they have to deal with the poor service.

-CAL

JD

"cl" > wrote in message
news
> "JD" > wrote :
>
>> I'm not holding my breath since
>> potteryheads are a bit cult-like in their devotion.

> Sure they do. However only because they are ignorantly giving that
> power to Richard that they have to deal with the poor service.
>
> -CAL

Whether its ignorance or preference makes little difference, it is what it
is. No one ever went broke understimating the consumer mind. I'm sure an
analysis of your consumption would reveal just as many idiosyncratic,
irrational choices as the next guy. Get over it.

JD

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "JD"
> wrote:

> "cl" > wrote in message
> news
> > "JD" > wrote :
> >
> >> I'm not holding my breath since
> >> potteryheads are a bit cult-like in their devotion.

> > Sure they do. However only because they are ignorantly giving that
> > power to Richard that they have to deal with the poor service.
> >

> Whether its ignorance or preference makes little difference, it is what it
> is. No one ever went broke understimating the consumer mind. I'm sure an
> analysis of your consumption would reveal just as many idiosyncratic,
> irrational choices as the next guy. Get over it.

File me under 'preference' if you would. I researched for nearly 3
years, including driving a 400 mile roundtrip just to look at a
Grilldome. Read forums till my eyes bugged out.
Mention 'Kamado' to most ceramic salesman and you'll either get a
slackjawed "Whut tha hell is a Kamado?" or an immediate hi-speed litany
of "How bad Kamado sucks". When you've got to resort to slagging your
competition as opposed to touting the benefits of your own product a
message appears between the lines as plain as day. 'Idiosyncratic?'
Maybe. 'Irrational?' Not really.
I knew there might be problems with customer service. There were.
I walked into the deal eyes wide open. I'd do the same thing again in a
heartbeat. I'm a big boy - I realize that gain and pain rhyme - I can
deal with it.

So CAL- you can take those claims of 'ignorance' and cram them. JD- you
can help CAL make sure they get crammed far enough.

monroe(happy cult member-ha-re-ha-re- **** you both)
cl

"JD" > wrote in message

> Whether its ignorance or preference makes little difference, it is what it
> is. No one ever went broke understimating the consumer mind. I'm sure an
> analysis of your consumption would reveal just as many idiosyncratic,
> irrational choices as the next guy. Get over it.
>
> JD

Big difference between choice and pushing a product as if a religious
artifact.

<rant>
I wouldn't recommend matchlight to you for an allnight bbq. Likewise I would
not push a spotty product where you have horrific customer service and it is
well know in advance that you will have to dicker with them at one time or
another.

Ultimately it comes down to egotistical consumer bias. Regardless of what
they purchase, so many people feel they must validate the choice to others
by elevating the product on a pedestal.

Sure its stupid and I will have to get over it but you sure as hell can't
accuse me of preaching a product that I have reservations about.

</rant>

-CAL

JD

"Monroe, of course" > wrote in message

> In article >, "JD"
> > wrote:
>
>> "cl" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Sure they do. However only because they are ignorantly giving that
>>> power to Richard that they have to deal with the poor service.
>>>

>> Whether its ignorance or preference makes little difference, it is
>> what it is. No one ever went broke understimating the consumer mind.
>> I'm sure an analysis of your consumption would reveal just as many
>> idiosyncratic, irrational choices as the next guy. Get over it.
>>

> File me under 'preference' if you would. I researched for nearly 3
> years, including driving a 400 mile roundtrip just to look at a
> Grilldome. Read forums till my eyes bugged out.
> Mention 'Kamado' to most ceramic salesman and you'll either get a
> slackjawed "Whut tha hell is a Kamado?" or an immediate hi-speed
> litany
> of "How bad Kamado sucks". When you've got to resort to slagging your
> competition as opposed to touting the benefits of your own product a
> message appears between the lines as plain as day. 'Idiosyncratic?'
> Maybe. 'Irrational?' Not really.
> I knew there might be problems with customer service. There were.
> I walked into the deal eyes wide open. I'd do the same thing again in
> a heartbeat. I'm a big boy - I realize that gain and pain rhyme - I
> can
> deal with it.
>
> So CAL- you can take those claims of 'ignorance' and cram them. JD-
> you
> can help CAL make sure they get crammed far enough.
>
> monroe(happy cult member-ha-re-ha-re- **** you both)

"Cult" isn't always a bad thing. With a '72 Datsun 510 and a Framus 12
string I'm hardly immune to being called a cultist. Some things just don't
require any rationalizing. Kamados are one of them.

JD

cl

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message

> I walked into the deal eyes wide open. I'd do the same thing again in a
> heartbeat. I'm a big boy - I realize that gain and pain rhyme - I can
> deal with it.
>
> So CAL- you can take those claims of 'ignorance' and cram them. JD- you
> can help CAL make sure they get crammed far enough.
>
> monroe(happy cult member-ha-re-ha-re- **** you both)

Prime case. You knew well what you walked into whilst skirting the
transition from ignorance to stupidity.
Now you have entered the realm of toolhood. Enjoy the karma while sitting
on your K. Don't be afraid to empty your soul. You just payed your homage
to your porcelain god! Now flush.

-CAL

JD

"cl" > wrote in message

> "JD" > wrote in message
>
>> Whether its ignorance or preference makes little difference, it is
>> what it is. No one ever went broke understimating the consumer mind.
>> I'm sure an analysis of your consumption would reveal just as many
>> idiosyncratic, irrational choices as the next guy. Get over it.
>>
>> JD

> Big difference between choice and pushing a product as if a religious
> artifact.
>
> <rant>
> I wouldn't recommend matchlight to you for an allnight bbq. Likewise
> I would not push a spotty product where you have horrific customer
> service and it is well know in advance that you will have to dicker
> with them at one time or another.
>
> Ultimately it comes down to egotistical consumer bias. Regardless of
> what they purchase, so many people feel they must validate the choice
> to others by elevating the product on a pedestal.
>
> Sure its stupid and I will have to get over it but you sure as hell
> can't accuse me of preaching a product that I have reservations about.
>
> </rant>
>

> -CAL

I take it you're in the business of selling some brand of ceramic cooker?
From what I see Kamado doesn't "push" anything, their customers are the sole
source of any claims of "religious articificity", real or imagined. Most buy
them knowing full well what they're getting into. They're happy, Kamado's
happy and all is right in their world. You aren't going to win any converts
by griping about "egotistical consumer bias" no matter how good your service
and product is. You're a million miles away from figuring out why K owners
keep coming back despite alleged quality issues and a lack of customer
service skills. IOW, you may (or may not) have a better steak but it doesn't
have the "sizzle" Kamado owners hear.

JD

JD

"cl" > wrote in message

> "Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message
>
>> I walked into the deal eyes wide open. I'd do the same thing again
>> in a heartbeat. I'm a big boy - I realize that gain and pain rhyme -
>> I can deal with it.
>>
>> So CAL- you can take those claims of 'ignorance' and cram them. JD-
>> you can help CAL make sure they get crammed far enough.
>>
>> monroe(happy cult member-ha-re-ha-re- **** you both)

> Prime case. You knew well what you walked into whilst skirting the
> transition from ignorance to stupidity.
> Now you have entered the realm of toolhood. Enjoy the karma while
> sitting on your K. Don't be afraid to empty your soul. You just payed
> your homage to your porcelain god! Now flush.
>
> -CAL

You're a bit new to the sales and marketing game aren't you Cal? Hope you
have a backup source of income.

JD

cory

Monroe, of course... wrote:

> File me under 'preference' if you would. I researched for nearly 3
> years, including driving a 400 mile roundtrip just to look at a
> Grilldome. Read forums till my eyes bugged out.
> Mention 'Kamado' to most ceramic salesman and you'll either get a
> slackjawed "Whut tha hell is a Kamado?" or an immediate hi-speed litany
> of "How bad Kamado sucks". When you've got to resort to slagging your
> competition as opposed to touting the benefits of your own product a
> message appears between the lines as plain as day. 'Idiosyncratic?'
> Maybe. 'Irrational?' Not really.

I have recently become acquainted with a local dealer of BBQ equipment,
who offers some very *expensive* products, but personally uses a BGE.
When I mentioned that I owned a Kamado, he told me he thought they had
some problems at high temperatures. After we talked about it for a few
minutes, we realized he was talking about the "Imperial Kamado", and I
own the Kamado made in California. Once that was straightened out, he
agreed that my Kamado can handle the same temps that the BGE can.

So if a dealer slags the Kamado, you may want to check what "Kamado"
product he's referring to.

To the original poster: if you've already decided that you want a
ceramic cooker, and are trying to choose between them, I'll say that I
can't think of any physical aspect of the Kamado that I would change. I
think the design and construction is excellent, and the results are
always wonderful. I have done low-and-slow, high-temp grilling, and
everything in between, and the results have never disappointed. I have
almost every option that they make. If you decide to get a meat hanger,
get the extra hanging rods (whatever they're called). I only have one,
and wish I had more.
cl

"JD" > wrote:

> I take it you're in the business of selling some brand of ceramic cooker?

You take wrong..

Gess, why does one always have an 'agenda' when they attack Kamado. Its
pretty bad when someone has legendary poor service. How can anyone defend
them?

-CAL

cl

"JD" > wrote in message
> You're a bit new to the sales and marketing game aren't you Cal? Hope you
> have a backup source of income.

Man you are a hoot. Do you always come with a thought and then make it
reality? I bet you are a legend in your own mind.

I guess with the lack of performance requirements around here, maybe I
should have a mold made up and buy a few bags of quikcrete and soil. I
mean hell, all of them seem to crack anyhow. When it does, pour another.
While I'm at it I can make it harder to order just to preserve the esoteric
pull that it has. Oh yeah, charge a grand too. Seems like the sales and
marketing technique that works here!

-CAL

JD

"cl" > wrote in message

> "JD" > wrote:
>
>> I take it you're in the business of selling some brand of ceramic
>> cooker?

> You take wrong..
>
> Gess, why does one always have an 'agenda' when they attack Kamado.
> Its pretty bad when someone has legendary poor service. How can
> anyone defend them?
>
> -CAL

Good question. Why would anyone feel the need to attack anyone elses
hardware without some kind of agenda. I've eaten good Q off of gadgets I
just didn't quite resonate with. In the end the eatin' is all that matters.
What you don't seem to "get" is that Kamado owners chose their tool to cook
on not to have an ongoing "customer service relationship" with.

JD

JD

"cl" > wrote in message

> "JD" > wrote in message
>> You're a bit new to the sales and marketing game aren't you Cal?
>> Hope you have a backup source of income.

> Man you are a hoot. Do you always come with a thought and then make it
> reality? I bet you are a legend in your own mind.

I sold $8 million dollars worth of real estate last year. That makes me a
legend in some folks minds. It certainly qualifies me to speak on marketing
and sales.

> I guess with the lack of performance requirements around here, maybe I
> should have a mold made up and buy a few bags of quikcrete and soil.
> I mean hell, all of them seem to crack anyhow. When it does, pour
> another. While I'm at it I can make it harder to order just to
> preserve the esoteric pull that it has. Oh yeah, charge a grand too.
> Seems like the sales and marketing technique that works here!

Go for it Cal, what have you got to lose?

JD

> -CAL

cl

"JD" > wrote in message
> Good question. Why would anyone feel the need to attack anyone elses
> hardware without some kind of agenda. I've eaten good Q off of gadgets I
> just didn't quite resonate with. In the end the eatin' is all that

matters.
> What you don't seem to "get" is that Kamado owners chose their tool to

cook
> on not to have an ongoing "customer service relationship" with.

No attack. However, I wanted one but I don't want the hassle. I can deal
with paying a premium for it but not if I have to bend over backwards to get
one (and then get it running).

-CAL

Anthony

Ken,
I own a Kamado #5. I ordered it in November 2002 and received it in
April of 2003. I knew up front that it was going to take that long.
I spent about 2 months researching and comparing BGE, Primo,
GrillDome, Imperial Kamado, and Kamado. I decided that Kamado and
GrillDome were my first and second choices. Fortunately, Kamado had a
sale going on that made it cheaper than the GrillDome. I must admit
that Kamado has some great accessories and the design of the draft
door and top are superior (in my opinion) to the GrillDome.

However, I must say that the customer service is a let down. I
ordered a pizza stone that was cracked when I received. No problem, I
called back on the same day I received it and they said they ship the
very next day. 4 months and two phone calls later, I finally received
it. I was upset, but I knew I would have to deal with these types of
issues. Plus, I don't need to contact them very often, so I made this
choice well aware of what I was getting into.

Now that I've had my grill for a while, I must say that I enjoy it and
I feel that it is great. But, as you've heard from the others, they
all grill the same. Sure, one may be thicker than the others, but I
don't think there is much of a difference. If I had it to do all over
again, I would have bought a GrillDome. I don't feel proud
recommending this grill to family/friends when I know they will
probably run into the issues that I and others have run into. That
was a lot of money for me to spend on something and to have my
requests forgotten. But whose to say that GrillDome won't run into
the same issues if their business picks up.

Anthony

(Ken Sternberg) wrote in message . com>...
> Ok. I realize these grills have been commented on a lot, but I have a
> pretty focused question. Because I only have about $500 or so to
> spend, I'm considering the Grilldome large extra tall stainless steel
> model OR the Kamado No. 5 textured. Both have an 18-inch grill and
> seem to be made well.
>
> I'd be grateful to hear comments from those who have owned either or
> both of these units for a while. How has your grill held up over time?
> Do you enjoy cooking on it? Is an 18-inch grill sufficient for large
> items like chickens or turkeys?
>
> Please feel free to add any other points. Thanks very much.

BOB

Monroe, of course... wrote:

> File me under 'preference' if you would. I researched for nearly 3
> years, including driving a 400 mile roundtrip just to look at a
> Grilldome. Read forums till my eyes bugged out.
> Mention 'Kamado' to most ceramic salesman and you'll either get a
> slackjawed "Whut tha hell is a Kamado?" or an immediate hi-speed litany
> of "How bad Kamado sucks". When you've got to resort to slagging your
> competition as opposed to touting the benefits of your own product a
> message appears between the lines as plain as day. 'Idiosyncratic?'
> Maybe. 'Irrational?' Not really.
> I knew there might be problems with customer service. There were.
> I walked into the deal eyes wide open. I'd do the same thing again in a
> heartbeat. I'm a big boy - I realize that gain and pain rhyme - I can
> deal with it.

Count my vote here, too. On my original order of my #5, there were parts
(accessories, not main parts) missing. They were shipped with my #1 about 3
months later.

> So CAL- you can take those claims of 'ignorance' and cram them. JD- you
> can help CAL make sure they get crammed far enough.

Cal seems to be overflowing with ignorance, chiming in where he has absolutely
no experience (by his own admission, on more than one subject)

> monroe(happy cult member-ha-re-ha-re- **** you both)

Cult does come close to describing it, but I prefer obsession

BOB

JD

"cl" > wrote in message

> "JD" > wrote in message
>> Good question. Why would anyone feel the need to attack anyone elses
>> hardware without some kind of agenda. I've eaten good Q off of
>> gadgets I just didn't quite resonate with. In the end the eatin' is
>> all that matters. What you don't seem to "get" is that Kamado owners
>> chose their tool to cook on not to have an ongoing "customer service
>> relationship" with.

> No attack. However, I wanted one but I don't want the hassle. I can
> deal with paying a premium for it but not if I have to bend over
> backwards to get one (and then get it running).
>
> -CAL

I don't think I'd have the patience to go through the hoops it takes to get
a Kamado either. I'm not sure why since I've waited 2 years and $8000 to
have a guitar built before. I understand though why some people will go
through the trials of acquiring a K. I'm just not one of them.

JD

Ken Sternberg

When I mentioned poor customer service I was referring to Kamado and
not rewarding them. I may just go Grilldome.
Monroe, of course...

In article >, " BOB" >
wrote:

> Monroe, of course... wrote:

> > So CAL- you can take those claims of 'ignorance' and cram them. JD- you
> > can help CAL make sure they get crammed far enough.

> Cal seems to be overflowing with ignorance, chiming in where he has absolutely
> no experience (by his own admission, on more than one subject)

Boy, yeah! CAL is lunkheadedly retarded beyond belief, really. Hasn't
contributed fiddly-dick to this NG except to give JD someone to play
with. I think in the interest of ignorance, I'm gonna plonk his
useless ass. .scr files promising shots of Britney's Titney's are more
informative and intelligent.

monroe(Glad I got a K and CAL don't - nyaah)
Jack Curry

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message
> In article >, " BOB" >
> wrote:
>
> > Monroe, of course... wrote:

> > > So CAL- you can take those claims of 'ignorance' and cram them. JD-

you
> > > can help CAL make sure they get crammed far enough.

> > Cal seems to be overflowing with ignorance, chiming in where he has

absolutely
> > no experience (by his own admission, on more than one subject)

> Boy, yeah! CAL is lunkheadedly retarded beyond belief, really. Hasn't
> contributed fiddly-dick to this NG except to give JD someone to play
> with. I think in the interest of ignorance, I'm gonna plonk his
> useless ass. .scr files promising shots of Britney's Titney's are more
> informative and intelligent.
>
> monroe(Glad I got a K and CAL don't - nyaah)

'Bout time for us all to plonk that moron. Allow me to say I was the first.
Or maybe the second or third, so now I only see his absurd drivel when
others answer him (if you've had your fun pokin' the retard, maybe you'll
quit soon, JD).

Jack Curry

JD

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
om
> "Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message
>> In article >, " BOB"
>> > wrote:

>>> Cal seems to be overflowing with ignorance, chiming in where he has
>>> absolutely no experience (by his own admission, on more than one
>>> subject)

>> Boy, yeah! CAL is lunkheadedly retarded beyond belief, really. Hasn't
>> contributed fiddly-dick to this NG except to give JD someone to play
>> with. I think in the interest of ignorance, I'm gonna plonk his
>> useless ass. .scr files promising shots of Britney's Titney's are
>> more informative and intelligent.
>>
>> monroe(Glad I got a K and CAL don't - nyaah)
>>

> 'Bout time for us all to plonk that moron. Allow me to say I was the
> first. Or maybe the second or third, so now I only see his absurd
> drivel when others answer him (if you've had your fun pokin' the
> retard, maybe you'll quit soon, JD).
>
> Jack Curry

He *is* getting a bit boring.

JD

BOB

Monroe, of course... wrote:
> In article >, " BOB" >
> wrote:
>
>> Monroe, of course... wrote:

>>> So CAL- you can take those claims of 'ignorance' and cram them. JD- you
>>> can help CAL make sure they get crammed far enough.

>> Cal seems to be overflowing with ignorance, chiming in where he has

absolutely
>> no experience (by his own admission, on more than one subject)

> Boy, yeah! CAL is lunkheadedly retarded beyond belief, really. Hasn't
> contributed fiddly-dick to this NG except to give JD someone to play
> with. I think in the interest of ignorance, I'm gonna plonk his
> useless ass. .scr files promising shots of Britney's Titney's are more
> informative and intelligent.
>
> monroe(Glad I got a K and CAL don't - nyaah)

Done that yestidy. (or was it the day before?)
Even Kent has more upstairs than cal

BOB

cl

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
om...
> 'Bout time for us all to plonk that moron. Allow me to say I was the

first.
> Or maybe the second or third, so now I only see his absurd drivel when
> others answer him (if you've had your fun pokin' the retard, maybe you'll
> quit soon, JD).

Nawh, I just wish you(plural) had the balls to answer a question.

-CAL

Jack Sloan

" BOB" > wrote in message
> Monroe, of course... wrote:
> > In article >, " BOB" >
> > wrote:

you

> >> Cal seems to be overflowing with ignorance, chiming in where he has

> absolutely
> >> no experience (by his own admission, on more than one subject)

> > Boy, yeah! CAL is lunkheadedly retarded beyond belief, really. Hasn't
> > contributed fiddly-dick to this NG except to give JD someone to play
> > with. I think in the interest of ignorance, I'm gonna plonk his
> > useless ass. .scr files promising shots of Britney's Titney's are more
> > informative and intelligent.
> >
> > monroe(Glad I got a K and CAL don't - nyaah)

> Done that yestidy. (or was it the day before?)
> Even Kent has more upstairs than cal
>
> BOB

BOB, that's a pretty low blow...for both of 'em.
Jack>

Duwop

Jack Curry wrote:

> 'Bout time for us all to plonk that moron. Allow me to say I was the
> first. Or maybe the second or third, so now I only see his absurd
> drivel when others answer him (if you've had your fun pokin' the
> retard, maybe you'll quit soon, JD).
>
> Jack Curry

I plonked his sorry ass when he said he was "forced to" argue with Dave.
That's damn coercive of Dave, the sneaky *******, making CAL argue like
that, poor guy.
Wasn't amusing enough to bother to keep around like that other gas moron.

He may have beat JasonFromDallas in fastest plonking. Seems Jason's settle
down now? Or is he still arguing about split infinitives? (i.e. totally
useless crap.)

Dale
Wondering how many's plonked him?

frohe

Duwop wrote:
> Wondering how many's plonked him?

I have.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

"frohe" > wrote:
> Duwop wrote:
> > Wondering how many's plonked him?

> I have.

I haven't. Tragicomic relief.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
cl

"Duwop" > wrote ...
> Wasn't amusing enough to bother to keep around like that other gas moron.

Gas moron? Hell I don't even have a gas grill.

Apparently you fellows are a bunch quitters. Too simple to argue facts but
love to carry only like little kiddies.

-CAL

Cam

"JD" > wrote in message >...

> It has nothing to do with the merits of the company. It's as simple as this;
> they sell all of their production capacity. They'll probably continue to do
> so without the expense of a customer service program. If you're the type who
> needs his glutes smooched in the buying process, you'll probably go
> elsewhere. If a K is the tool you can't do without, then you'll put up with
> the crap. The bottom line is that they don't have to care whether you had a
> positive buying experience.
>
> JD

Any company selling any product could charge more if they provide
better customer service. Kamado is competing for the customer's
dollar. It sounds like they could do a better job on their customer
service. Maybe they should hire a CS professional to help them out.
They could pay the new salary by raising their prices. It looks like
they should raise prices anyways, they've got a waiting list.

Cam
JD

"Cam" > wrote in message
om
> "JD" > wrote in message
>>
>> It has nothing to do with the merits of the company. It's as simple
>> as this;
>> they sell all of their production capacity. They'll probably
>> continue to do
>> so without the expense of a customer service program. If you're the
>> type who
>> needs his glutes smooched in the buying process, you'll probably go
>> elsewhere. If a K is the tool you can't do without, then you'll put
>> up with
>> the crap. The bottom line is that they don't have to care whether
>> you had a
>> positive buying experience.
>>
>> JD

> Any company selling any product could charge more if they provide
> better customer service. Kamado is competing for the customer's
> dollar. It sounds like they could do a better job on their customer
> service. Maybe they should hire a CS professional to help them out.
> They could pay the new salary by raising their prices. It looks like
> they should raise prices anyways, they've got a waiting list.
>
> Cam

Not in this case. K already charges and gets a premium price. Their
production capacity isn't likely to increase under the current leadership
and the price is already as high as it they can reasonably expect. A CS
staff would be a net loss on the bottom line. I'm sure the Kamado folks are
quite happy with their business as it is, don't hold your breath waiting for
a change.

JD

cory

Default Grilldome or Kamado No. 5 [So OT by now]

JD wrote:

> Not in this case. K already charges and gets a premium price. Their
> production capacity isn't likely to increase under the current leadership
> and the price is already as high as it they can reasonably expect. A CS

For someone who acts like he knows everything about business, you don't
seem to understand basic economics. When demand exceeds supply,
rationing occurs. Usually rationing takes place in the form of
allocation [as in WWII], waiting [as in USSR], or increased prices. Of
these, one is the most sensible in a market-driven economy. Guess which one.

JD

"cory" > wrote in message

> JD wrote:
>
>> Not in this case. K already charges and gets a premium price. Their
>> production capacity isn't likely to increase under the current
>> leadership and the price is already as high as it they can
>> reasonably expect. A CS

> For someone who acts like he knows everything about business, you
> don't seem to understand basic economics. When demand exceeds supply,
> rationing occurs. Usually rationing takes place in the form of
> allocation [as in WWII], waiting [as in USSR], or increased prices. Of
> these, one is the most sensible in a market-driven economy. Guess
> which one.

Who cares? Kamado doesn't. Just because the demand outstrips K's ability to
supply it doesn't mean they're obligated to expand to suit that demand. The
folks at Kamado have chosen to raise prices as their way of dealing with the
increased demand. They're in business to satisy *their* wants, needs and
desires, not yours. One of my clients builds guitars for a living. At first
he sold them cheap because that's what the market would bear then a couple
of well known artist started playing them and the demand shot through the
roof. Now even with CNC technology and a very efficient building process he
can only produce a finite number of instruments without compromising the
qualities that contribute to the demand for his guitars in the first place.
The solution is that the guitar that used to cost $2000 now costs almost
$10,000 and comes with a 4 year wait for delivery. He doesn't answer his
phone very often because people were bugging the hell out of him and he
wasn't getting any work done. Your macroeconomic model doesn't fly in a
micro world of small business. If it bothers you that much, start building
them yourself. If it was that easy, some entrepurial types would have filled
the demand gap long ago.

JD

cory

JD wrote:
> "cory" > wrote in message
>

>>JD wrote:
>>

>>>Not in this case. K already charges and gets a premium price. Their
>>>production capacity isn't likely to increase under the current
>>>leadership and the price is already as high as it they can
>>>reasonably expect. A CS

>>For someone who acts like he knows everything about business, you
>>don't seem to understand basic economics. When demand exceeds supply,
>>rationing occurs. Usually rationing takes place in the form of
>>allocation [as in WWII], waiting [as in USSR], or increased prices. Of
>>these, one is the most sensible in a market-driven economy. Guess
>>which one.

> Who cares? Kamado doesn't. Just because the demand outstrips K's ability to
> supply it doesn't mean they're obligated to expand to suit that demand. The
> folks at Kamado have chosen to raise prices as their way of dealing with the
> increased demand. They're in business to satisy *their* wants, needs and

All that liquid smoke must have rotted your brain. Pay attention, hear?
What we're saying is, Kamado can and should charge *more* for their
product, so that people who still want to buy at the higher price won't
have to wait 6 months to get one. I wonder if you even graduated high
school.
JD

"cory" > wrote in message

> JD wrote:

>>> For someone who acts like he knows everything about business, you
>>> don't seem to understand basic economics. When demand exceeds
>>> supply, rationing occurs. Usually rationing takes place in the form
>>> of
>>> allocation [as in WWII], waiting [as in USSR], or increased prices.
>>> Of these, one is the most sensible in a market-driven economy. Guess
>>> which one.

>> Who cares? Kamado doesn't. Just because the demand outstrips K's
>> ability to supply it doesn't mean they're obligated to expand to
>> suit that demand. The folks at Kamado have chosen to raise prices as
>> their way of dealing with the increased demand. They're in business
>> to satisy *their* wants, needs and

> All that liquid smoke must have rotted your brain. Pay attention,
> hear?
> What we're saying is,

Who's "we", monkeyboy?

> Kamado can and should charge *more* for their
> product, so that people who still want to buy at the higher price
> won't
> have to wait 6 months to get one.

You have much to learn about maintaining a sustainable market, grasshopper.
Diluting your customer base to a well heeled few subjects you to the
likelihood of a very inconsistent demand which plays hell on your cashflow.
Kamado is much better off with a lot of customers that are committed enough
to wait 6 months than a few trust fund kiddies that change their minds as
often their underwear. Kamado is in the business turning pottery into cash
in the most efficient manner *not* to satisfy your childish obsession with
instant gratification. I'm sure they have their business plan squared away
far better than you're capable of understanding. Now. go back to your
lemonade stand. <plonk>

JD

I wonder if you even graduated high
> school.

cory

JD wrote:
> "cory" > wrote in message
>

>>JD wrote:

>>>Who cares? Kamado doesn't. Just because the demand outstrips K's
>>>ability to supply it doesn't mean they're obligated to expand to
>>>suit that demand. The folks at Kamado have chosen to raise prices as
>>>their way of dealing with the increased demand. They're in business
>>>to satisy *their* wants, needs and

>>All that liquid smoke must have rotted your brain. Pay attention,
>>hear?
>>What we're saying is,

> Who's "we", monkeyboy?
>

>>Kamado can and should charge *more* for their
>>product, so that people who still want to buy at the higher price
>>won't
>>have to wait 6 months to get one.

> You have much to learn about maintaining a sustainable market, grasshopper.
> Diluting your customer base to a well heeled few subjects you to the
> likelihood of a very inconsistent demand which plays hell on your cashflow.
> Kamado is much better off with a lot of customers that are committed enough
> to wait 6 months than a few trust fund kiddies that change their minds as
> often their underwear. Kamado is in the business turning pottery into cash
> in the most efficient manner *not* to satisfy your childish obsession with
> instant gratification. I'm sure they have their business plan squared away
> far better than you're capable of understanding. Now. go back to your
> lemonade stand. <plonk>
>
> JD
>

> I wonder if you even graduated high
>
>>school.

Oh, so you haven't.
Cam

"JD" > wrote in message >. ..

> You have much to learn about maintaining a sustainable market, grasshopper.
> Diluting your customer base to a well heeled few subjects you to the
> likelihood of a very inconsistent demand which plays hell on your cashflow.
> Kamado is much better off with a lot of customers that are committed enough
> to wait 6 months than a few trust fund kiddies that change their minds as
> often their underwear. Kamado is in the business turning pottery into cash
> in the most efficient manner *not* to satisfy your childish obsession with
> instant gratification. I'm sure they have their business plan squared away
> far better than you're capable of understanding. Now. go back to your
> lemonade stand. <plonk>
>
> JD

If Kamado doesn't increase production they will have the same number
of customers either way. Imagine if they improved their CS reputation
to the same standard as they have for their cookers. Would the waiting
list be even longer? Of course it would. At that point why wouldn't
they raise their prices?

Cam
Lemonade? Yes please.

Kamado does right by me. Matthew L. Martin Barbecue 5 12-04-2005 02:51 AM
BGE or Kamado fatsam Barbecue 29 07-09-2004 09:49 PM
Saw our first Kamado bk Barbecue 5 24-07-2004 11:23 PM
Kamado Dave Barbecue 26 29-06-2004 02:44 AM
Kamado On E-Bay JL Barbecue 10 20-12-2003 04:55 PM