Jayde

Default Drip pans

Can I use a pie tin as a drip pan in the bbq? I'm concerned that it
may be a bit thin.
Mark Thorson

Jayde wrote:

> Can I use a pie tin as a drip pan in the bbq? I'm concerned
> that it may be a bit thin.

I'd be more concerned it might melt. You can easily
reach temperatures in a barbeque that can melt
aluminum.

George

If you need a round pan, look for a steel gold-panning pan. They are
available in 16 and 12 inch diameters. The 16 inch is priced at about
$8.00.
http://www.kamado.com/Pix/dripan5.jpg

M&M Man

George wrote>

>If you need a round pan, look for a steel gold-panning pan. They are

available in 16 and 12 inch diameters. The 16 inch is priced at about
$8.00.

Great tip. I think I have one of those out in the shed. And here I've been
shopping for a water pan in the grill section of the big box stores and
haven't been able to find one. Now what to do with the two plastic gold
panning pans I have out there as well.

M&M

jmagerl

I have never had a problem with the foil pans in my ECB. I get them at Sams
club.

"Jayde" > wrote in message
> Can I use a pie tin as a drip pan in the bbq? I'm concerned that it
> may be a bit thin.

Monroe, of course...

In article >,
(George) wrote:

> If you need a round pan, look for a steel gold-panning pan. They are
> available in 16 and 12 inch diameters. The 16 inch is priced at about
> $8.00.

http://www.kamado.com/Pix/dripan5.jpg

I'm currently using a Wilton 12" round layer cake pan for my drippage.
It fits my K's upper bracket just fine-just the right size.
They come in lots of different sizes. Mine set me back all of $10.

monroe(used to use 2 9"ers)
Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:55:01 GMT, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Jayde wrote:
>
>> Can I use a pie tin as a drip pan in the bbq? I'm concerned
>> that it may be a bit thin.

>I'd be more concerned it might melt. You can easily
>reach temperatures in a barbeque that can melt
>aluminum.

So How do you deal with the Weber tin foil pans, then? They work fine
in my world.

Harry
jmagerl

melting point of aluminum is 660 degrees C or 1220 degrees F. Well above any
temperature in a grill. Those temperatures could be achieved by direct
contact with the coals as evidenced by throwing a aluminum soda can into a
fire. Once cooled you find nothing but a small nugget in the ashes. IF used
as a drip pan however, your food would be ashes long before the pan melted.