John O

Default "Boneless Ribs"

SWMBO brought home something labelled boneless ribs, whateverthehell that
means. Looks like the back portion of some mighty meaty ribs.

Anyway, I'm thinking we smoke this into some pulled pork for Wednesday
night. The meat looks "marbely" so I'm thinking it will smoke well.
Thoughts??

--
John O
reply email is anti-spammed

DL

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:09:24 GMT, "John O"
> wrote:

>SWMBO brought home something labelled boneless ribs, whateverthehell that
>means. Looks like the back portion of some mighty meaty ribs.
>
>Anyway, I'm thinking we smoke this into some pulled pork for Wednesday
>night. The meat looks "marbely" so I'm thinking it will smoke well.
>Thoughts??

A couple of years ago I fund a sign for "Boneless Turkey Ham" at a
local Safeway. I have thereafter wondered what kind of bone it would
have had to begin with. A drumstick maybe?

- -

DL

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

>> Evidently your buddy Cedeņo is a *******.
>>

>First of all, Cedeņo is not my buddy.

::::::::::::::::

"When you make fun of someone washing his truck, that's sad."
- Jeff Kent

::::::::::::::::

Halter Sucks!
Reg

DL wrote:

> A couple of years ago I fund a sign for "Boneless Turkey Ham" at a
> local Safeway. I have thereafter wondered what kind of bone it would
> have had to begin with. A drumstick maybe?

I totally guessing, but it might be a cured breast or half breast,
rolled. I make those and they're pretty good.

doyle

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:09:24 GMT, "John O"
> > wrote:
>
> >SWMBO brought home something labelled boneless ribs, whateverthehell that
> >means. Looks like the back portion of some mighty meaty ribs.

Yeah, shouldn't the package say ribless meat? I always thought the rib was
the bone?
They are also selling country style ribs, that aren't really ribs
either.......There oughtta be a law!

John O

> The things labelled "boneless ribs", at least here in Austin, are
> actually strips of chuck. The only thing 'rib-like' about them is
> thet they're cut long and narrow.

That could be. I'll take some pics as I smoke 'em tonight. The stuff wasn't
expensive, so at worst the dogs & cats get a nice holiday meal.

-John O

Evan in Orlando

I know down here in Florida, I have seen boneless ribs for quite a
while, usually they are as "Country Style Ribs." They can have bones,
but if they do they are quite small and it is usually cut from either
the shoulder or loin areas. They are really good for slow cooking in a
crock pot or an oven bag, but haven't tried them on a smoker.

Evan
John O

> So were they beef or pork? :-)

Pork. They didn't smoke very well. The thicker parts had some fatty stuff,
and those tasted yummy. The ends were lean, hard and dry.

I can't get any briskets around here, the local butcher says if I want 'em I
have to buy the entire case. I'm not ready to make that investment yet. What
other (more common) piece of meat is good when smoked and pulled? Did I read
about pork shoulders somewhere?

-John O

Jack Curry

John O wrote:
>> So were they beef or pork? :-)

> Pork. They didn't smoke very well. The thicker parts had some fatty
> stuff, and those tasted yummy. The ends were lean, hard and dry.
>
> I can't get any briskets around here, the local butcher says if I
> want 'em I have to buy the entire case. I'm not ready to make that
> investment yet. What other (more common) piece of meat is good when
> smoked and pulled? Did I read about pork shoulders somewhere?
>
> -John O

Pork shoulders, often called Boston Butts are a classic cut for low/slow
barbecuin' to make pulled pork.
Jack Curry

Rat Bastard

Dude, where do you live, anyway? I'm a Texan currently living in exile
in Vermont USA, and I found a way to get briskets around here. It can
be done, you may just have to work at it.

Best -

Rat *******

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:06:46 GMT, "John O"
> wrote:

>I can't get any briskets around here, the local butcher says if I want 'em I
>have to buy the entire case. I'm not ready to make that investment yet.

x-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Gar

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:06:46 GMT, "John O"
> wrote:

>> So were they beef or pork? :-)

>Pork. They didn't smoke very well. The thicker parts had some fatty stuff,
>and those tasted yummy. The ends were lean, hard and dry.

I've smoked the country ribs a few times. First time I had read that
they were good at 4-5 hours. I found it was too long. 3 1/2 hours
is about all they can go before they get dry. IMO they're better
marinated and done in a crockpot for asian dishes.

Gar

Howard R. Bricker

Gar <> wrote in news
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:06:46 GMT, "John O"
> > wrote:
>
>> [...]

> I've smoked the country ribs a few times. First time I had read that
> they were good at 4-5 hours. I found it was too long. 3 1/2 hours
> is about all they can go before they get dry. IMO they're better
> marinated and done in a crockpot for asian dishes.
>
> Gar

Say what? When food is done, you take it off and eat it. Don't wait
for the time some Ahole told you to cook it. This ain't rocket science.
Sure it takes a little practice to get the knack of it, but gee whiz,
if us drunks can produce edible food, surely most anybody can if they
really try. You might notice that in this group there is a lot of
trial and error going on, both in recipies and in hardware. If you
really want absolutes, you better get a computer controlled stove and
a bunch of luck. I can't imagine cooking country ribs for 4-5 hours.
Even your estimate of 3 1/2 might be stretching it. Country ribs have
a lot of exposed surface. They cook pretty quick even at low temps like
220°. Just watch them and take 'em off when they're done.

M&M Man
Gar

On 2 Jan 2004 06:18:54 GMT, "Howard R. Bricker"
> wrote:

>Say what? When food is done, you take it off and eat it. Don't wait
>for the time some Ahole told you to cook it.

Actually I read it here, but I was trying to avoid conflict.

>This ain't rocket science.
>Sure it takes a little practice to get the knack of it, but gee whiz,
>if us drunks can produce edible food, surely most anybody can if they
>really try.

I'm going to be trying it sober for awhile. I need to loose the beer
belly. <sigh> News years resolution, so I don't have to stick with
it long. <g>

>You might notice that in this group there is a lot of
>trial and error going on, both in recipies and in hardware.

If you read what I said it was the "FIRST" time.

>If you really want absolutes, you better get a computer controlled stove and
>a bunch of luck.

I didn't say I wanted absolutes. If I did I have a stove with quite
an impressive control panel on it.

> I can't imagine cooking country ribs for 4-5 hours.

Neither can I now, which is why I posted it was too long.

>Even your estimate of 3 1/2 might be stretching it. Country ribs have
>a lot of exposed surface. They cook pretty quick even at low temps like
>220°.

The ones I've purchased have never been cut the same. Last weekend I
did a picnic, and a 5 pound bag of country ribs to eat for lunch. The
sizes were drastically different. Some were done much earlier than
3-1/2. Some took 3-1/2.

> Just watch them and take 'em off when they're done.

I do that. I also watch prices. I paid $.99 a pound for the picnic
and the country ribs. I'd pay more for a picnic, but not for faux
ribs. I've seen them as high as 2.19. Either way real ribs or a
shoulder is IMO a much better way to go for Q. The asian dish I make
with faux ribs is fabulous, but it ain't Q.

Gar

Gar <> wrote

>Then Brick wrote
>
>>Say what? When food is done, you take it off and eat it. Don't wait
>>for the time some Ahole told you to cook it.

> Actually I read it here, but I was trying to avoid conflict.

Don't worry about it. We thrive on conflict.

>>This ain't rocket science.
>>Sure it takes a little practice to get the knack of it, but gee whiz,
>>if us drunks can produce edible food, surely most anybody can if they
>>really try.

> I'm going to be trying it sober for awhile. I need to loose the beer
> belly. <sigh> News years resolution, so I don't have to stick with
> it long. <g>

Lots of luck. I gave it about four months and actually lost ten lbs,
but the strain got to me. Now I'm trying to get a 'little' exercise
and control intake quantity to some degree.

>>You might notice that in this group there is a lot of
>>trial and error going on, both in recipies and in hardware.

> If you read what I said it was the "FIRST" time.

Point understood

>>If you really want absolutes, you better get a computer controlled
>>stove and a bunch of luck.

> I didn't say I wanted absolutes. If I did I have a stove with quite
> an impressive control panel on it.
>
>> I can't imagine cooking country ribs for 4-5 hours.

> Neither can I now, which is why I posted it was too long.
>
>>Even your estimate of 3 1/2 might be stretching it. Country ribs have
>>a lot of exposed surface. They cook pretty quick even at low temps
>>like 220°.

> The ones I've purchased have never been cut the same. Last weekend I
> did a picnic, and a 5 pound bag of country ribs to eat for lunch. The
> sizes were drastically different. Some were done much earlier than
> 3-1/2. Some took 3-1/2.

Mixed sizes is pretty much what I have experienced as well. Actually, I
don't try to slow cook country ribs and would only do so if I happened
to be cooking some butts or picnics at the same time.

>> Just watch them and take 'em off when they're done.

> I do that. I also watch prices. I paid $.99 a pound for the picnic
> and the country ribs. I'd pay more for a picnic, but not for faux
> ribs. I've seen them as high as 2.19. Either way real ribs or a
> shoulder is IMO a much better way to go for Q. The asian dish I make
> with faux ribs is fabulous, but it ain't Q.

I hear that about the Asian dishes. Me too, but like you said it ain't 'Q'.
So what? You can grill the meat before you toss it with something else and
it's still on topic in this group. I believe that Nick and Nathan do it all
the time. I know I do. Smoke flavor goes along with Asian type cuisine just
fine.

M&M Man
Bill

In article >, Gar
<> says...

<snip>

> The ones I've purchased have never been cut the same. Last weekend I
> did a picnic, and a 5 pound bag of country ribs to eat for lunch. The
> sizes were drastically different. Some were done much earlier than
> 3-1/2. Some took 3-1/2.

<snip>

I have a theory that they use pork picnics and butts for
apprentice butchers to practice band saw meat cutting on and
country ribs are the result.

Gotta go and and polish my hat now.

Bill

Reg

DL wrote:

> A couple of years ago I fund a sign for "Boneless Turkey Ham" at a
> local Safeway. I have thereafter wondered what kind of bone it would
> have had to begin with. A drumstick maybe?

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...CFR381.171.htm

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 9, Volume 2]
[Revised as of January 1, 2003]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 9CFR381.171]

(a) ``Turkey Ham'' shall be fabricated from boneless, turkey thigh
meat with skin and the surface fat attached to the skin removed. The
thighs shall be
that cut of poultry described in Sec. 381.170(b)(5) of this part.
(b) The product may or may not be smoked, and shall be cured using
one or more of the approved curing agents as provided in a regulation
permitting that use in this subchapter or 9 CFR Chapter III, Subchapter
E, or in 21 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter A or Subchapter B. The product may
also contain cure accelerators, phosphates, and flavoring agents as
provided in a regulation permitting that use in this subchapter or 9 CFR
Chapter III, Subchapter E, or in 21 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter A or
Subchapter B; common salt, sugars, spices, spice extractives, dehydrated
garlic, and dehydrated onions; and water for purpose of dissolving and
dispersing the substances specified above.