Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight - kraut and ribs; tomorrow, ribs; kabocha squashes

Tonight's: something called rib tips from my pigmeat guy. Half the
package is being dedicated to kraut. I cut half in half and browned it
on both sides. Threw in some onion (about half a smallish onion),
arranged some kraut on top, sprinkled some caraway seeds on top and some
black pepper. Splashed some dry vermouth on top and covered it before
putting it into a 300 degree oven for a few hours. I need to scrub a
couple potatoes and add them, or else make some halushky to accompany.
I'm leaning to halushky.

Part two: I cut the other piece in half, too, and sprinkled it with
some commercial barbecue spice rub. Into a pan, then covered tightly
with foil (sue me). Also in the oven. Tomorrow I'll heat it in some
barbecue sauce from a store-bought bottle.

Earlier in the oven were a couple kabocha squashes. Pretty soon I'll
scrape the seeds out and mash the flesh and do something delicious with
it.

Dinner's in 2-1/2 hours.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Tonight's: something called rib tips from my pigmeat guy. Half the
> package is being dedicated to kraut. I cut half in half and browned it
> on both sides. Threw in some onion (about half a smallish onion),
> arranged some kraut on top, sprinkled some caraway seeds on top and some
> black pepper. Splashed some dry vermouth on top and covered it before
> putting it into a 300 degree oven for a few hours. I need to scrub a
> couple potatoes and add them, or else make some halushky to accompany.
> I'm leaning to halushky.
>
> Part two: I cut the other piece in half, too, and sprinkled it with
> some commercial barbecue spice rub. Into a pan, then covered tightly
> with foil (sue me). Also in the oven. Tomorrow I'll heat it in some
> barbecue sauce from a store-bought bottle.
>
> Earlier in the oven were a couple kabocha squashes. Pretty soon I'll
> scrape the seeds out and mash the flesh and do something delicious with
> it.
>
> Dinner's in 2-1/2 hours.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
> (Send her a note!)

Made some last week almost the exact only I used the large Electric Fry pan.

The major difference is I used a mixture of white wine and Dijon mustard as
the braising liquid.

Mmmmm Mustard & Kraut & Pork a marriage made in heaven.

BTW I also happen to pick up a Kabocha.

Never used that kind before did you cut in half before roasting like other
squash?

Time and Temp?

This thing is 5 inches high and maybe 8+ inches in diameter.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:
> Never used that kind before did you cut in half before roasting like other
> squash?
>
> Time and Temp?
>
> This thing is 5 inches high and maybe 8+ inches in diameter.
>
> Dimitri

I cut in longitudinally. About an 75 minutes at 375. Cut side down. I
just seeded them, added some butter and maple syrup and whipped them
with an electric mixer. Black pepper. Some cinnamon. I'm considering
a pie -- imagine my surprise to learn that the 7 pumpkin pies Mom baked
every year for Thanksgiving were largely made from squash. :-)

I'm considering just making and baking the filling -- pumpkin custard.
Whaddaya think?

-B

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
(Send her a note!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Dimitri" > wrote:
>> Never used that kind before did you cut in half before roasting like other
>> squash?
>>
>> Time and Temp?
>>
>> This thing is 5 inches high and maybe 8+ inches in diameter.
>>
>> Dimitri

> I cut in longitudinally. About an 75 minutes at 375. Cut side down. I
> just seeded them, added some butter and maple syrup and whipped them
> with an electric mixer. Black pepper. Some cinnamon. I'm considering
> a pie -- imagine my surprise to learn that the 7 pumpkin pies Mom baked
> every year for Thanksgiving were largely made from squash. :-)
>
> I'm considering just making and baking the filling -- pumpkin custard.
> Whaddaya think?
>
> -B

Go for it, pumpkin isn't anything but another squash anyway. We used to
use cushaws > http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/Cook...les/cushaw.htm

instead of pumpkin a lot because we could grow great big cushaws but
pumpkins didn't do well. We've also used other types of squash to make
pies. About the only squash we treat as squash are crooknecks and zukes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> imagine my surprise to learn that the 7 pumpkin pies Mom baked
> every year for Thanksgiving were largely made from squash. �:-) �

Most every commercially made pumpkin pie you've ever eaten throughout
your entire life was made from butternut squash... even canned pumpkin
is butternut squash... unless you've actually made your own from
pumpkin you've never eaten actual pumpin pie. Canned butternut squash
is permitted to be labeled pumpkin because botanically butternut
squash IS pumpkin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 18 Nov 2008 03:03:59p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> Tonight's: something called rib tips from my pigmeat guy. Half the
> package is being dedicated to kraut. I cut half in half and browned it
> on both sides. Threw in some onion (about half a smallish onion),
> arranged some kraut on top, sprinkled some caraway seeds on top and some
> black pepper. Splashed some dry vermouth on top and covered it before
> putting it into a 300 degree oven for a few hours. I need to scrub a
> couple potatoes and add them, or else make some halushky to accompany.
> I'm leaning to halushky.

Next time try a splash of gin instead of the vermouth, or juniper berries.
Really good with kraut. Also a garlic clove.

I’d much rather have halushky!!!

> Part two: I cut the other piece in half, too, and sprinkled it with
> some commercial barbecue spice rub. Into a pan, then covered tightly
> with foil (sue me). Also in the oven. Tomorrow I'll heat it in some
> barbecue sauce from a store-bought bottle.

Nothing wrong with that as long as you’re not claiming it to be “Q”.

> Earlier in the oven were a couple kabocha squashes. Pretty soon I'll
> scrape the seeds out and mash the flesh and do something delicious with
> it.

You can have all the squash.

> Dinner's in 2-1/2 hours.

I think my flight will take longer than that. Drat!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 11(XI)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
1wks 1dys 6hrs 22mins
When ideas fail, words come in very handy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 18 Nov 2008 03:36:14p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article >,
> "Dimitri" > wrote:
>> Never used that kind before did you cut in half before roasting like
>> other squash?
>>
>> Time and Temp?
>>
>> This thing is 5 inches high and maybe 8+ inches in diameter.
>>
>> Dimitri

> I cut in longitudinally. About an 75 minutes at 375. Cut side down. I
> just seeded them, added some butter and maple syrup and whipped them
> with an electric mixer. Black pepper. Some cinnamon. I'm considering
> a pie -- imagine my surprise to learn that the 7 pumpkin pies Mom baked
> every year for Thanksgiving were largely made from squash. :-)

Well, that preparation does sound good!

> I'm considering just making and baking the filling -- pumpkin custard.
> Whaddaya think?

I’d rather have it in a pie.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 11(XI)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
1wks 1dys 6hrs 18mins
Now then, was that funny or WHAT?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Tue 18 Nov 2008 03:03:59p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> > black pepper. Splashed some dry vermouth on top and covered it before
> > putting it into a 300 degree oven for a few hours. I need to scrub a
> > couple potatoes and add them, or else make some halushky to accompany.
> > I'm leaning to halushky.

> I’d much rather have halushky!!!
>
> > Part two: I cut the other piece in half, too, and sprinkled it with
> > some commercial barbecue spice rub. Into a pan, then covered tightly
> > with foil (sue me). Also in the oven. Tomorrow I'll heat it in some
> > barbecue sauce from a store-bought bottle.

> Nothing wrong with that as long as you’re not claiming it to be “Q”.

Wouldn't dream of it.

Potatoes were less work than halushky. I was thinking white wine and
dry vermouth was the closest I could come. I didn't think dry sherry
was appropriate. 8-)

Meal was very good. Pictures at 11:00.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
(Send her a note!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 7>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Tue 18 Nov 2008 03:36:14p, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>
> > In article >,
> > "Dimitri" > wrote:
> >> Never used that kind before did you cut in half before roasting like
> >> other squash?
> >>
> >> Time and Temp?
> >>
> >> This thing is 5 inches high and maybe 8+ inches in diameter.
> >>
> >> Dimitri

> > I cut in longitudinally. About an 75 minutes at 375. Cut side down. I
> > just seeded them, added some butter and maple syrup and whipped them
> > with an electric mixer. Black pepper. Some cinnamon. I'm considering
> > a pie -- imagine my surprise to learn that the 7 pumpkin pies Mom baked
> > every year for Thanksgiving were largely made from squash. :-)

> Well, that preparation does sound good!

What part, Wayne? It's just baked squash. How do you do winter squash?

> > I'm considering just making and baking the filling -- pumpkin custard.
> > Whaddaya think?

> I’d rather have it in a pie.

Pictures at 11:00

Crustless Pumpkin Pie.
From Alrecipes.com

1 1/4 cups sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 eggs
2 cups canned pumpkin
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar and flour. Add eggs; mix well. Stir
in the pumpkin, milk, vanilla and cinnamon if desired; mix until well
blended. Pour into a greased 9-in. pie plate. Place pie plate in a
15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; add 1/2 in. of hot water to pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near
the center comes out clean.

NOTE: I reduced the sugar to a cup (maybe should have removed another
1/4 cup), used fat free "half and half" (Land O'Lakes), and upped the
spices with more cinnamon, a little powdered ginger, and a wee leetle
bit of cloves.

I'm dying to taste it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
(Send her a note!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 18 Nov 2008 06:50:53p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Tue 18 Nov 2008 03:03:59p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

>> > black pepper. Splashed some dry vermouth on top and covered it before
>> > putting it into a 300 degree oven for a few hours. I need to scrub a
>> > couple potatoes and add them, or else make some halushky to accompany.
>> > I'm leaning to halushky.

>> I’d much rather have halushky!!!
>>
>> > Part two: I cut the other piece in half, too, and sprinkled it with
>> > some commercial barbecue spice rub. Into a pan, then covered tightly
>> > with foil (sue me). Also in the oven. Tomorrow I'll heat it in some
>> > barbecue sauce from a store-bought bottle.

>> Nothing wrong with that as long as you’re not claiming it to be “Q”.

> Wouldn't dream of it.

Didn’t think you would.

> Potatoes were less work than halushky. I was thinking white wine and
> dry vermouth was the closest I could come. I didn't think dry sherry
> was appropriate. 8-)

You’re right. Sherry would not be appropriate. Yes, potatoes are easier.

I made halushky last weekend to go with a pork roast and gravy. Sauerkraut
would have been nice with that, too. I didn’t have any.

> Meal was very good. Pictures at 11:00.

I’ll take a looksee.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 11(XI)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
1wks 1dys 4hrs 51mins
Hmm . . . How *did* they finally kill Frosty? --Hobbes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:03:59 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Tonight's: something called rib tips from my pigmeat guy. Half the
>package is being dedicated to kraut. I cut half in half and browned it
>on both sides. Threw in some onion (about half a smallish onion),
>arranged some kraut on top, sprinkled some caraway seeds on top and some
>black pepper. Splashed some dry vermouth on top and covered it before
>putting it into a 300 degree oven for a few hours. I need to scrub a
>couple potatoes and add them, or else make some halushky to accompany.
>I'm leaning to halushky.
>
>Part two: I cut the other piece in half, too, and sprinkled it with
>some commercial barbecue spice rub. Into a pan, then covered tightly
>with foil (sue me). Also in the oven. Tomorrow I'll heat it in some
>barbecue sauce from a store-bought bottle.
>
>Earlier in the oven were a couple kabocha squashes. Pretty soon I'll
>scrape the seeds out and mash the flesh and do something delicious with
>it.
>
>Dinner's in 2-1/2 hours.

Damn, I think I'm a little late.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/15