Bar B. Que

Default Bring the gas grill in for winter?

Being up in the Northeast, we get some darn cold ... Ok... FREEZING nights.
Having just gotten my first gas grill (and yes, I do have charcoal as well!)
I'm wondering if I need to take in the gas grill? I have a heavy cover over
it, but I've never had a gas grill before so I didn't know the effects of
the cold on the propane tank & parts. I didn't know if it'd be safe to keep
outside or if I should bring it indoors.

And, no, I don't intend to stop BBQ'ing in the winter on the charcoal!

Thanks in advance!

Thomas Mooney

Bar B. Que > wrote in message
om...
> Being up in the Northeast, we get some darn cold ... Ok... FREEZING

nights.
> Having just gotten my first gas grill (and yes, I do have charcoal as

well!)
> I'm wondering if I need to take in the gas grill? I have a heavy cover

over
> it, but I've never had a gas grill before so I didn't know the effects of
> the cold on the propane tank & parts. I didn't know if it'd be safe to

keep
> outside or if I should bring it indoors.
>
> And, no, I don't intend to stop BBQ'ing in the winter on the charcoal!
>
> Thanks in advance!

We keep our gas grill in the garage in the winter and wheel it out whenever
we want to use it. It doesn't cook as well when it's real cold. But I've
grilled when the temperature is below zero. Once it gets that cold, it
seems that you're burning one side of the steak and freezing the other.

I don't know what temperature propane turns to solid. But I suspect it's
colder than the -30º -> -40º that would be record-setting around here.

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bar B. Que" > wrote in message
om...
> Being up in the Northeast, we get some darn cold ... Ok... FREEZING

nights.
> Having just gotten my first gas grill (and yes, I do have charcoal as

well!)
> I'm wondering if I need to take in the gas grill?

Mine have all stayed out for the past 25 years. Never had any wear that I'd
attribute to the cold.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

jdoe

THe only 2 things winter does is 1. Make it a little uncomfortable to grill
(but than it's new meaning to "grillin' and chillin'") ;-) 2. Propane
becomes less efficient in cold. The more btu's you pull the greater the
ineffiency becomes but than I've never really noticed anything and I"ve been
known to grill in -10 or colder weather. I now have the luxury of 2 fin
grills my MM 0202xc has been converted to NG and so will not have any of
these issues but my trusty weber genesis 2 is parked in the garage and will
do duty when I can't get to the mm.
YMMV
Larry
"Bar B. Que" > wrote in message
om...
> Being up in the Northeast, we get some darn cold ... Ok... FREEZING

nights.
> Having just gotten my first gas grill (and yes, I do have charcoal as

well!)
> I'm wondering if I need to take in the gas grill? I have a heavy cover

over
> it, but I've never had a gas grill before so I didn't know the effects of
> the cold on the propane tank & parts. I didn't know if it'd be safe to

keep
> outside or if I should bring it indoors.
>
> And, no, I don't intend to stop BBQ'ing in the winter on the charcoal!
>
> Thanks in advance!

Matthew L. Martin

Bar B. Que wrote:

> Being up in the Northeast, we get some darn cold ... Ok... FREEZING nights.
> Having just gotten my first gas grill (and yes, I do have charcoal as well!)
> I'm wondering if I need to take in the gas grill? I have a heavy cover over
> it, but I've never had a gas grill before so I didn't know the effects of
> the cold on the propane tank & parts. I didn't know if it'd be safe to keep
> outside or if I should bring it indoors.
>
> And, no, I don't intend to stop BBQ'ing in the winter on the charcoal!
>
> Thanks in advance!

My advice is to lose the cover and leave it out, especially if you use
it often. I use mine three to five times a week in the winter, have
never covered it (other than putting a board over the controls, which
face up, to keep the ice out) and have had no cold related problems.

Matthew

--
<http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
You can't break even.
You can't get out of the game.

Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:15:07 GMT, "Bar B. Que" >
wrote:

>Being up in the Northeast, we get some darn cold ... Ok... FREEZING nights.
>Having just gotten my first gas grill (and yes, I do have charcoal as well!)
>I'm wondering if I need to take in the gas grill? I have a heavy cover over
>it, but I've never had a gas grill before so I didn't know the effects of
>the cold on the propane tank & parts. I didn't know if it'd be safe to keep
>outside or if I should bring it indoors.
>
>And, no, I don't intend to stop BBQ'ing in the winter on the charcoal!
>
>Thanks in advance!

I'd bring the tank in but leave the Box outside. Check it for spiders
in Spring.

Harry
Edwin Pawlowski

"Hotair" > wrote in message
> FWIW, propane pressure drops to 0 psi at about -44°F. That means
> that at temps below about -30°F the vapor in the tank will not
> have enough pressure to feed the burner.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I've yet to experience this
propane phenomenon as my cajones turn to ice crystals at about +10 so I
have a 40 degree margin of safety.
Ed

Jack Schidt®

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
news

> "Hotair" > wrote in message
> > FWIW, propane pressure drops to 0 psi at about -44°F. That means
> > that at temps below about -30°F the vapor in the tank will not
> > have enough pressure to feed the burner.

> Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I've yet to experience this
> propane phenomenon as my cajones turn to ice crystals at about +10 so I
> have a 40 degree margin of safety.
> Ed

Good call! I'll be way more mindful of the thermometer this winter.

Jack

The Fat Man®

Bar B. Que wrote:
> Being up in the Northeast, we get some darn cold ... Ok... FREEZING
> nights. Having just gotten my first gas grill (and yes, I do have
> charcoal as well!) I'm wondering if I need to take in the gas grill?
> I have a heavy cover over it, but I've never had a gas grill before
> so I didn't know the effects of the cold on the propane tank & parts.
> I didn't know if it'd be safe to keep outside or if I should bring it
> indoors.
>
> And, no, I don't intend to stop BBQ'ing in the winter on the
> charcoal!
>
> Thanks in advance!

Damn, look at it this way.......a carbeuretor on a car is a helluva lot more
complicated and expensive than any stinking gas jets on a *grill*.

Would you bring the car inside for the winter?

Now imagine the delicacy of a turbocharger that thousands of people have
sitting in bone-chilling temps as I type. Will they be harmed?

TFM®

The Fat Man®

Hotair wrote:

> I used to use my gas grill at temps below 0 when I lived in Alberta.
> Neighbours thought I was nuts but when I want a grilled steak I have
> it.

You're all ****ing nuts for even thinking about living in a place where the
temp gets down to *zero*!

When I want grilled steak, I just drive back from the butcher shop with it
sittin on my dash.

TFM®

The Fat Man®

Matthew L. Martin wrote:

> My advice is to lose the cover and leave it out, especially if you use
> it often. I use mine three to five times a week in the winter, have
> never covered it (other than putting a board over the controls, which
> face up, to keep the ice out) and have had no cold related problems.

Hmmm.....strange problem with the ice. It's hard to keep ice on anything
here unless you have a really good cooler.

Again, this brings up the question, "Why the hell would anybody want to live
in so hostile an environment?"

Never mind, forget I said that. Stay up there. Stay the Hell out of
Florida.

TFM®

BOB

The Fat Man® typed:
> Matthew L. Martin wrote:
>
>> My advice is to lose the cover and leave it out, especially if you use
>> it often. I use mine three to five times a week in the winter, have
>> never covered it (other than putting a board over the controls, which
>> face up, to keep the ice out) and have had no cold related problems.
>>

> Hmmm.....strange problem with the ice. It's hard to keep ice on anything
> here unless you have a really good cooler.

Snip some mindless drivel <bg>

> Never mind, forget I said that. Stay up there. Stay the Hell out of
> Florida.

You got that right!

> TFM®

BOB

Thomas Mooney

The Fat Man® > wrote in message
m...

> You're all ****ing nuts for even thinking about living in a place where

the
> temp gets down to *zero*!

Hell, that's nothing. There are days here when it doesn't get _up_ to zero!
And (and this is _not_ an exaggeration) there are days when it's sunny and
hovering just above zero when people consider it a really "nice day" and
walk around with their parkas unzipped. Absolutely true. Ask bbq.

When we moved to Minnesota, the first night the overnight low was -20! In
23+ years living in Detroit I had never seen anything colder than -15. Here
it is, December 7th, technically still _autumn_, and it's -20. Sandi and I
just looked at each other and said "this may have been a mistake". Today?
You couldn't pry me outta this state.

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

Harry Demidavicius

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 03:02:21 GMT, "Thomas Mooney"
> wrote:

>The Fat Man® > wrote in message
om...

>> You're all ****ing nuts for even thinking about living in a place where

>the
>> temp gets down to *zero*!
>>

>Hell, that's nothing. There are days here when it doesn't get _up_ to zero!
>And (and this is _not_ an exaggeration) there are days when it's sunny and
>hovering just above zero when people consider it a really "nice day" and
>walk around with their parkas unzipped. Absolutely true. Ask bbq.
>
>When we moved to Minnesota, the first night the overnight low was -20! In
>23+ years living in Detroit I had never seen anything colder than -15. Here
>it is, December 7th, technically still _autumn_, and it's -20. Sandi and I
>just looked at each other and said "this may have been a mistake". Today?
>You couldn't pry me outta this state.

I finished the landscape construction today - in Calgary - in
shirtsleeve Weather - working on borrowed time as it is expected to
be below 0C by the end of the week. On the other hand we don't get 95
+ 95 [temp & humidity] - that would do me in.

Harry
still remembering Montreal Summers - [Boo]
Thomas Mooney

Harry Demidavicius > wrote in message

> I finished the landscape construction today - in Calgary - in
> shirtsleeve Weather - working on borrowed time as it is expected to
> be below 0C by the end of the week. On the other hand we don't get 95
> + 95 [temp & humidity] - that would do me in.

Harry,

We went below 0C the first of October! And the temperatures I was quoting
(-15 / -20) were Fahrenheit, not Celsius. But I'm with you, the cold is one
thing, heat and humidity is what really gets to me.

Quick quiz: At what point are the Celsius and Fahrenheit temperatures equal?

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

Charles Demas

In article >,
Thomas Mooney > wrote:
>Harry Demidavicius > wrote in message
.. .

>> I finished the landscape construction today - in Calgary - in
>> shirtsleeve Weather - working on borrowed time as it is expected to
>> be below 0C by the end of the week. On the other hand we don't get 95
>> + 95 [temp & humidity] - that would do me in.
>>

>Harry,
>
>We went below 0C the first of October! And the temperatures I was quoting
>(-15 / -20) were Fahrenheit, not Celsius. But I'm with you, the cold is one
>thing, heat and humidity is what really gets to me.
>
>Quick quiz: At what point are the Celsius and Fahrenheit temperatures equal?

-40 degrees

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
Harry Demidavicius

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 05:48:28 GMT, "Thomas Mooney"
> wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius > wrote in message
.. .

>> I finished the landscape construction today - in Calgary - in
>> shirtsleeve Weather - working on borrowed time as it is expected to
>> be below 0C by the end of the week. On the other hand we don't get 95
>> + 95 [temp & humidity] - that would do me in.
>>

>Harry,
>
>We went below 0C the first of October! And the temperatures I was quoting
>(-15 / -20) were Fahrenheit, not Celsius. But I'm with you, the cold is one
>thing, heat and humidity is what really gets to me.
>
>Quick quiz: At what point are the Celsius and Fahrenheit temperatures equal?

-40

Harry
Thomas Mooney

Charles Demas > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Thomas Mooney > wrote:
> >
> >Quick quiz: At what point are the Celsius and Fahrenheit temperatures

equal?

> -40 degrees
>

> Chuck Demas

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

Jack Schidt®

"Thomas Mooney" > wrote in message
> Charles Demas > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > Thomas Mooney > wrote:
> > >
> > >Quick quiz: At what point are the Celsius and Fahrenheit temperatures

> equal?
> >
> > -40 degrees
> >

> > Chuck Demas
> >

> Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

What's the prize, an icicle? ;-O

Jack

Jack Schidt®

"The Fat Man®" > wrote in message
m...
> Matthew L. Martin wrote:
>
> > My advice is to lose the cover and leave it out, especially if you use
> > it often. I use mine three to five times a week in the winter, have
> > never covered it (other than putting a board over the controls, which
> > face up, to keep the ice out) and have had no cold related problems.
> >

> Hmmm.....strange problem with the ice. It's hard to keep ice on anything
> here unless you have a really good cooler.
>
> Again, this brings up the question, "Why the hell would anybody want to

live
> in so hostile an environment?"

It keeps the riff-raff out.

> Never mind, forget I said that. Stay up there. Stay the Hell out of
> Florida.

Ok. I can still visit the Keys, though?

> TFM®

BOB

Jack Schidt® typed:
> "The Fat Man®" wrote in message
> m...
>> Matthew L. Martin wrote:
>>
>>> My advice is to lose the cover and leave it out, especially if you use
>>> it often. I use mine three to five times a week in the winter, have
>>> never covered it (other than putting a board over the controls, which
>>> face up, to keep the ice out) and have had no cold related problems.
>>>

>> Hmmm.....strange problem with the ice. It's hard to keep ice on anything
>> here unless you have a really good cooler.
>>
>> Again, this brings up the question, "Why the hell would anybody want to

live
>> in so hostile an environment?"

> It keeps the riff-raff out.
>

>> Never mind, forget I said that. Stay up there. Stay the Hell out of
>> Florida.

> Ok. I can still visit the Keys, though?

Visit? Yes! and bring and spend all your money. Don't you dare visit Florida
and not tell anyone like some guy from Chicago just did.

BOB

Jack Schidt®

" BOB" > wrote in message
.. .
> Jack Schidt® typed:
> > "The Fat Man®" wrote in message
> > m...

> >> Hmmm.....strange problem with the ice. It's hard to keep ice on

anything
> >> here unless you have a really good cooler.
> >>
> >> Again, this brings up the question, "Why the hell would anybody want to

> live
> >> in so hostile an environment?"

> > It keeps the riff-raff out.
> >

> >> Never mind, forget I said that. Stay up there. Stay the Hell out of
> >> Florida.

> > Ok. I can still visit the Keys, though?
> >

> Visit? Yes! and bring and spend all your money. Don't you dare visit

Florida
> and not tell anyone like some guy from Chicago just did.
>
> BOB

We're not as snobbish here in New England, BOB, not like those windy city
types ;-P

I wouldn't bring ALL my money but certainly enough to buy some rounds and
spring for this and that. I know the drill.

Jack

John O

> Quick quiz: At what point are the Celsius and Fahrenheit temperatures
equal?

I learned the answer the night I flew into Saskatoon in February a few years
back...it was the expected low that night. Damn, that was cold.

John O

Jack Curry

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> " BOB" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Jack Schidt® typed:
>>> "The Fat Man®" wrote in message
>>> m...

>>> It keeps the riff-raff out.

>>> Ok. I can still visit the Keys, though?
>>>

>> Visit? Yes! and bring and spend all your money. Don't you dare
>> visit Florida and not tell anyone like some guy from Chicago just
>> did.
>>
>> BOB
>>

> We're not as snobbish here in New England, BOB, not like those windy
> city types ;-P
>
> I wouldn't bring ALL my money but certainly enough to buy some rounds
> and spring for this and that. I know the drill.
>
> Jack

Well, if you're buyin' drinks and stuff, you can come to my house.
Jack Curry

BOB

Jack Schidt® typed:
> " BOB" wrote...
>> Jack Schidt® typed:
>>> "The Fat Man®" wrote in message
>>> m...

anything

>>> It keeps the riff-raff out.

>>> Ok. I can still visit the Keys, though?
>>>

>> Visit? Yes! and bring and spend all your money. Don't you dare visit

Florida
>> and not tell anyone like some guy from Chicago just did.
>>
>> BOB
>>

> We're not as snobbish here in New England, BOB, not like those windy city
> types ;-P
>
> I wouldn't bring ALL my money but certainly enough to buy some rounds and
> spring for this and that. I know the drill.
>
> Jack

Well, I'll cook the barbecue!

BOB