Old 16-10-2003, 06:51 PM
Monroe, of course...

Default Mensa Challenge

In article , "George B.
Ross" wrote:

Speaking as an engineer, I'd argue that engineers and artists
should be lumped into the same category.

Scientist is probably a better word for what you are describing.
Engineers like to approximate things and scientists like to know
the answer to the 4th decimal place.

snip rest

Glass half empty or glass half full?
To the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

To answer the question a bit:
for pretty much all liquids, ignore densities and 1pint =1pound.
(Unless the recipe calls for mercury)
A #10 can is for all intents and purposes, a gallon.

monroe(got no PE stamp)
Old 16-10-2003, 07:11 PM
cory

Jbya wrote:

I can program my VCR, but I can't seem to get this one right.

I am cutting a recipe calling for a #10 of ketchup by 1/4. I know a #10 can
of Hunts ketchup has a net weight of 7 lbs, 3 oz. Oh, and I don't have a
scale.

25% of 7 lbs, 3 oz is 115 oz
115 oz / 4 = 28.75 oz (net wt)

How do I convert this into cup (volume) measure? In other words, how many
cups does it take to equal 28.75 net wt oz?

According to the nutritional facts on my ketchup bottle, 1 tbsp = 17
grams. Your can contains 192 tbsp. 16 tbsp = 1 cup. Therefore, you have
12 cups. You need 3 cups.

Old 16-10-2003, 09:47 PM
Brick

"Vince" wrote in message
om...
"Jbya" wrote in message

I can program my VCR, but I can't seem to get this one right.

I am cutting a recipe calling for a #10 of ketchup by 1/4. I know

a #10 can
of Hunts ketchup has a net weight of 7 lbs, 3 oz. Oh, and I don't

have a
scale.

25% of 7 lbs, 3 oz is 115 oz
115 oz / 4 = 28.75 oz (net wt)

How do I convert this into cup (volume) measure? In other words,

how many
cups does it take to equal 28.75 net wt oz?

The nutrition label for my Heinz ketchup (don't have Hunts) gives a
serving size as 1 tbsp and weighs 17g

16 Tbsp = 1 cup 16x17g = 272g

28.3g = 1oz 272g/28.3 = 9.61oz for 1 cup

Your 28.75/9.61oz = 2.991 cups or about 3 cups

If hunts ketchup is different you could do a similar calculation.

My 40 0z Hunts bottle contains the same serving size and weight.

From a nerd who likes bbq

Vince

Like everybody else here, or just about, I just had to calculate it
out
and I got 3.6 cups. (Never mind how). I prefer the method one of
our posters used though. He measured the volumn that came out of
a #10 can and got 16 cups. Voila, 1/4 of that is 4 cups.

I note that the OP didn't have a #10 can and neither do I, so I'll
take the man's word for it.

Brick (Who can never avoid falling into this kind of trap)

Old 16-10-2003, 10:41 PM
Jack Schidt®

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:47:38 -0400, "Brick"
wrote:

I prefer the method one of
our posters used though. He measured the volumn that came out of
a #10 can and got 16 cups. Voila, 1/4 of that is 4 cups.

Yes - why even bother to convert volumes to weights and back again,
when you can just use volume (the beginnning and the end products).

-sw (President of the MENSA BBQ'ers Chapter)

What the hell is MENSA??? Meat Eaters Now Swearing Atkins??

Jack

Old 16-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Jack Schidt®

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:41:41 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
wrote:

What the hell is MENSA??? Meat Eaters Now Swearing Atkins??

Meat-Eating Neanderthals Striving for Advancement (on the evolutionary
ladder)

http://www.mensa.org

-sw

Hehe, I like your translation better.

Jack

#10 can holds ~110 ounces (liquid volume)

1/4 #10 can = ~26 ounces (liquid volume)

Of course any normal brained chimpanzee with measuing cup could have figured
this out within 5 seconds or less.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon