George B. Ross

Default Mensa Challenge

Duwop ) opined:

> Steve Calvin > wrote in message
>> Bolivar wrote:

> Any recipe calling for ketchup don't need this level of
> precision. It's supposed to be inexact, flavors a different
> for everyone. Unless it's a ketchup cake? My opinion
> anyway.....
>
> Warning, bourbon thoughts follow.....
>
> Now I know men that cook tend to veer towards one of two
> camps, the precise camp, where everything is written down
> to a nicety; and the feel camp, who prefer the mmore
> organic feel of cooking to taste, whatever that might be
> that particular day.
>
> This question is a classic "precision" ( or engineer )
> question.
>
> Me? I'm a bit precise (not to the ml of ketchup though)
> with something till I've done it once or twice, after I
> feel I know the result I want, I start to free form it,
> while knowing the base I started with. With things I'm
> comfortable with, no (conscious) science at all any longer.
> Overall I'd like to think I'm more of the latter, but.....
>
> What are you?
>
> Engineer ?
> Artist ?
> Mixed ?
>

> I'd tell you what I expect to see, but that would influence
> this wouldnt it? Therebye ruining it's totally scientific
> nature, natch...
><bg>

Speaking as an engineer, I'd argue that engineers and artists
should be lumped into the same category.

Scientist is probably a better word for what you are describing.
Engineers like to approximate things and scientists like to know
the answer to the 4th decimal place.

As for your question, I'm a bit of both. The first 3 or 4 times
I make a sauce or rub, I follow the recipe with great care to
measurements. After that, I just get it close, with sometimes
heaping or shy measurements. I rarely will just dump stuff
together and taste to adjust like some people do. It has to be
a recipe that I've made 40-50 times before that happens.

--
George B. Ross is
remove the obvious bit for email