Brick

Default Mensa Challenge

"Vince" > wrote in message
om...
> "Jbya" > wrote in message

> > I can program my VCR, but I can't seem to get this one right.
> >
> > I am cutting a recipe calling for a #10 of ketchup by 1/4. I know

a #10 can
> > of Hunts ketchup has a net weight of 7 lbs, 3 oz. Oh, and I don't

have a
> > scale.
> >
> > 25% of 7 lbs, 3 oz is 115 oz
> > 115 oz / 4 = 28.75 oz (net wt)
> >
> > How do I convert this into cup (volume) measure? In other words,

how many
> > cups does it take to equal 28.75 net wt oz?

> The nutrition label for my Heinz ketchup (don't have Hunts) gives a
> serving size as 1 tbsp and weighs 17g
>
> 16 Tbsp = 1 cup >> 16x17g = 272g
>
> 28.3g = 1oz >> 272g/28.3 = 9.61oz for 1 cup
>
> Your 28.75/9.61oz = 2.991 cups or about 3 cups
>
> If hunts ketchup is different you could do a similar calculation.

My 40 0z Hunts bottle contains the same serving size and weight.

> From a nerd who likes bbq
>
> Vince

Like everybody else here, or just about, I just had to calculate it
out
and I got 3.6 cups. (Never mind how). I prefer the method one of
our posters used though. He measured the volumn that came out of
a #10 can and got 16 cups. Voila, 1/4 of that is 4 cups.

I note that the OP didn't have a #10 can and neither do I, so I'll
take the man's word for it.

Brick (Who can never avoid falling into this kind of trap)