Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default White BBQ sauce

Today, a cooking show had their version of Alabama BBQ, made with
a mayonnaise-based topping that was brushed on a chicken at the
last minute. There were a couple interesting things in the show
that if you not seen it, I'll pass along. It also got me to get
out my own white BBQ sauce recipe and translate it to something I
could pass along.

First, the sauce: I use 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup Marzetti
Original Slaw dressing as a starter. I then add 1-1/2 tsp of
cayenne, 1 tbsp Kosher salt, 1 heaping tbsp each of garlic and
onion powder and 1-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar to taste.

Like on the show, I halved my chickens for easy flipping and
management. They were washed very well in cold water and patted
dry. I then sprinkled them LIGHTLY with my dry rub I use for
about everything. The 4 halves were placed on racks and put into
the Bradley smoker with 3 apple pucks for an hour. (one puck is
fed every 20 minutes). No heat was used other than the heat from
Las Vegas in the fall (75f) and the heater for the pucks.

The smoked halves were then placed skin side down on the heated
grill and directly cooked for about 10-15 minutes. By then, a
neighbor came over and we were drinking a little brandy and I
didn't really check. <grin> The heat under the 4 halves was then
turned off the the chicken finished with offset heat, flipped
about half-way through. About ten minutes before removing it, I
painted it both sides with the white sauce and then repeated
before putting it on a platter.

It was good and a fun departure from the regular chicken I do:
typically with KC Masterpiece.

FWIW, on the show, the host did offset charcoal on a Webber
kettle. They used briquettes, but after starting them in a
chimney, they placed a large, disposable aluminum foil drip pan in
the center of the bottom of the tub, with the briquettes around
the outside. They used wet chips to get a smoke started and
apparently the empty aluminum drip pan was enough to catch any
flammable drippings to prevent flare-up. Frankly, their chicken
looked pretty good and if you don't like my recipe, you might want
to try theirs for a change.

--
Nonny

Live a good and honorable life.
Then when you get older and
think back, you'll enjoy it
a second time.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

this sounds interesting, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Nonny" > wrote in message
> Today, a cooking show had their version of Alabama BBQ, made with a
> mayonnaise-based topping that was brushed on a chicken at the last minute.
> There were a couple interesting things in the show that if you not seen
> it, I'll pass along. It also got me to get out my own white BBQ sauce
> recipe and translate it to something I could pass along.
>
> First, the sauce: I use 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup Marzetti Original Slaw
> dressing as a starter. I then add 1-1/2 tsp of cayenne, 1 tbsp Kosher
> salt, 1 heaping tbsp each of garlic and onion powder and 1-2 tbsp apple
> cider vinegar to taste.
>
> Like on the show, I halved my chickens for easy flipping and management.
> They were washed very well in cold water and patted dry. I then sprinkled
> them LIGHTLY with my dry rub I use for about everything. The 4 halves
> were placed on racks and put into the Bradley smoker with 3 apple pucks
> for an hour. (one puck is fed every 20 minutes). No heat was used other
> than the heat from Las Vegas in the fall (75f) and the heater for the
> pucks.
>
> The smoked halves were then placed skin side down on the heated grill and
> directly cooked for about 10-15 minutes. By then, a neighbor came over
> and we were drinking a little brandy and I didn't really check. <grin>
> The heat under the 4 halves was then turned off the the chicken finished
> with offset heat, flipped about half-way through. About ten minutes
> before removing it, I painted it both sides with the white sauce and then
> repeated before putting it on a platter.
>
> It was good and a fun departure from the regular chicken I do: typically
> with KC Masterpiece.
>
> FWIW, on the show, the host did offset charcoal on a Webber kettle. They
> used briquettes, but after starting them in a chimney, they placed a
> large, disposable aluminum foil drip pan in the center of the bottom of
> the tub, with the briquettes around the outside. They used wet chips to
> get a smoke started and apparently the empty aluminum drip pan was enough
> to catch any flammable drippings to prevent flare-up. Frankly, their
> chicken looked pretty good and if you don't like my recipe, you might want
> to try theirs for a change.
>
> --
> Nonny
>
> Live a good and honorable life.
> Then when you get older and
> think back, you'll enjoy it
> a second time.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

As a follow-up to my post, the neighbor asked for and received a
half a chicken. He took it home to his bride and they had the
half for supper. About 7:00p, he and his bride returned to our
house with a pan filled with mulled cider and topped off with good
brandy. We enjoyed it tremendously and I served them more of the
lemon bars our friend made yesterday from lemons I'd grown in the
back yard last year.

It was a very, very enjoyable evening and they departed with 2
large servings of lemon bars and another 1/2 chicken to enjoy
tomorrow. That's what BBQ is all about, IMHO.

Nonny=== note for anyone who worries about this kind of thing,
I've gotten as much as I've given over the past 50-60 years and
don't keep count of who got something and who gave me something.

--
Nonny

Live a good and honorable life.
Then when you get older and
think back, you'll enjoy it
a second time.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

that is the best part of food... my grandmother always said, never leave
home without enough money to eat, and never let anyone leave your home
hungry... i want to move next door to you, Lee, lover of lemon bars

--
Have a great day
"Nonny" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>> <grin> The heat under the 4 halves was then turned off the the chicken
>>> finished with offset heat, flipped about half-way through. About ten
>>> minutes before removing it, I painted it both sides with the white sauce
>>> and then repeated before putting it on a platter.
>>>
>>> It was good and a fun departure from the regular chicken I do: typically
>>> with KC Masterpiece.
>>>
>>> FWIW, on the show, the host did offset charcoal on a Webber kettle.
>>> They used briquettes, but after starting them in a chimney, they placed
>>> a large, disposable aluminum foil drip pan in the center of the bottom
>>> of the tub, with the briquettes around the outside. They used wet chips
>>> to get a smoke started and apparently the empty aluminum drip pan was
>>> enough to catch any flammable drippings to prevent flare-up. Frankly,
>>> their chicken looked pretty good and if you don't like my recipe, you

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default PING Sotrmee (Lee)

i don't understand it,... wonder what constipated has done now. Lee

--
Have a great day
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>I tried to email you back, but it got bounced.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I tried to email you back, but it got bounced.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Making a White Sauce Alan Holbrook[_5_] General Cooking 150 27-10-2016 12:23 AM
White BBQ sauce Brick[_3_] Barbecue 0 25-10-2009 04:11 AM
White Barbecue Sauce [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 04-08-2004 12:49 PM
OK, I tried the white sauce... Jack Curry Barbecue 2 25-02-2004 11:19 PM
White Soy Sauce???? Gina * Asian Cooking 7 16-10-2003 11:41 PM