Old 25-10-2009, 01:25 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Stormmmee Stormmmee is offline

Default White BBQ sauce

this sounds interesting, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Nonny" wrote in message
Today, a cooking show had their version of Alabama BBQ, made with a
mayonnaise-based topping that was brushed on a chicken at the last minute.
There were a couple interesting things in the show that if you not seen
it, I'll pass along. It also got me to get out my own white BBQ sauce
recipe and translate it to something I could pass along.

First, the sauce: I use 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup Marzetti Original Slaw
dressing as a starter. I then add 1-1/2 tsp of cayenne, 1 tbsp Kosher
salt, 1 heaping tbsp each of garlic and onion powder and 1-2 tbsp apple
cider vinegar to taste.

Like on the show, I halved my chickens for easy flipping and management.
They were washed very well in cold water and patted dry. I then sprinkled
them LIGHTLY with my dry rub I use for about everything. The 4 halves
were placed on racks and put into the Bradley smoker with 3 apple pucks
for an hour. (one puck is fed every 20 minutes). No heat was used other
than the heat from Las Vegas in the fall (75f) and the heater for the
pucks.

The smoked halves were then placed skin side down on the heated grill and
directly cooked for about 10-15 minutes. By then, a neighbor came over
and we were drinking a little brandy and I didn't really check. grin
The heat under the 4 halves was then turned off the the chicken finished
with offset heat, flipped about half-way through. About ten minutes
before removing it, I painted it both sides with the white sauce and then
repeated before putting it on a platter.

It was good and a fun departure from the regular chicken I do: typically
with KC Masterpiece.

FWIW, on the show, the host did offset charcoal on a Webber kettle. They
used briquettes, but after starting them in a chimney, they placed a
large, disposable aluminum foil drip pan in the center of the bottom of
the tub, with the briquettes around the outside. They used wet chips to
get a smoke started and apparently the empty aluminum drip pan was enough
to catch any flammable drippings to prevent flare-up. Frankly, their
chicken looked pretty good and if you don't like my recipe, you might want
to try theirs for a change.

--
Nonny

Live a good and honorable life.