Old 25-10-2009, 04:18 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Stormmmee Stormmmee is offline

Default White BBQ sauce

that is the best part of food... my grandmother always said, never leave
home without enough money to eat, and never let anyone leave your home
hungry... i want to move next door to you, Lee, lover of lemon bars

--
Have a great day
"Nonny" wrote in message
As a follow-up to my post, the neighbor asked for and received a half a
chicken. He took it home to his bride and they had the half for supper.
About 7:00p, he and his bride returned to our house with a pan filled with
mulled cider and topped off with good brandy. We enjoyed it tremendously
and I served them more of the lemon bars our friend made yesterday from
lemons I'd grown in the back yard last year.

It was a very, very enjoyable evening and they departed with 2 large
servings of lemon bars and another 1/2 chicken to enjoy tomorrow. That's
what BBQ is all about, IMHO.

Nonny=== note for anyone who worries about this kind of thing, I've gotten
as much as I've given over the past 50-60 years and don't keep count of
who got something and who gave me something.

"Nonny" wrote in message
Today, a cooking show had their version of Alabama BBQ, made with a
mayonnaise-based topping that was brushed on a chicken at the last
minute. There were a couple interesting things in the show that if you
not seen it, I'll pass along. It also got me to get out my own white
BBQ sauce recipe and translate it to something I could pass along.

First, the sauce: I use 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup Marzetti Original
Slaw dressing as a starter. I then add 1-1/2 tsp of cayenne, 1 tbsp
Kosher salt, 1 heaping tbsp each of garlic and onion powder and 1-2 tbsp
apple cider vinegar to taste.

Like on the show, I halved my chickens for easy flipping and management.
They were washed very well in cold water and patted dry. I then
sprinkled them LIGHTLY with my dry rub I use for about everything. The
4 halves were placed on racks and put into the Bradley smoker with 3
apple pucks for an hour. (one puck is fed every 20 minutes). No heat
was used other than the heat from Las Vegas in the fall (75f) and the
heater for the pucks.

The smoked halves were then placed skin side down on the heated grill
and directly cooked for about 10-15 minutes. By then, a neighbor came
over and we were drinking a little brandy and I didn't really check.
grin The heat under the 4 halves was then turned off the the chicken
finished with offset heat, flipped about half-way through. About ten
minutes before removing it, I painted it both sides with the white sauce
and then repeated before putting it on a platter.

It was good and a fun departure from the regular chicken I do: typically
with KC Masterpiece.

FWIW, on the show, the host did offset charcoal on a Webber kettle.
They used briquettes, but after starting them in a chimney, they placed
a large, disposable aluminum foil drip pan in the center of the bottom
of the tub, with the briquettes around the outside. They used wet chips
to get a smoke started and apparently the empty aluminum drip pan was
enough to catch any flammable drippings to prevent flare-up. Frankly,
their chicken looked pretty good and if you don't like my recipe, you
might want to try theirs for a change.

--
Nonny

Live a good and honorable life.