Old 03-09-2007, 03:52 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Boston Butt - Second Try

Well, since the heat knocked us out of our fishing trip, we
decided to smoke that other butt in the freezer. We put it on
this a.m., about an hour ago. Although the first one was edible,
I'm hoping for much better results this time around.

DH was supposed to be trying his hand at the smoker today, but I
can see wer're going to be feuding all day because he doesn't
seem to see how important keeping the temp within the range. (I
just went outside and found the temp of the smoker to be 305!

I want to have the meat in the 220 to 230 range. DH says it
doesn't matter, and he doesn't want to baby-sit the cooker all
day.

Guess I'm stuck baby-sitting the cooker today. If it weren't for
the fact that our DD LOVES pork barbecue so much, I'd let him go
ahead and do it his way.

Sheesh!

Karen C.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:33 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Karen C." wrote in message
[...]

Sorry Karen, but IMO he is right. People spend too much time trying to keep
the temp in too small a cooking range. If the pit wants to cook at 305 let
it, don't keep fussing with it trying to keep it lower. If you think it is
too high make a smaller fire.
I have cooked 100's if not 1000's of BUTTS and I doubt if any one of
themwere cooked under 300, most in the 325 range.
Let it rock, you will like it anyway.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:06 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
You think 90-92F is _high_? What a bunch of whimps! :-)

Heck, it's an arctic breeze, compared to what we've had the last
few weeks. But we went fishing yesterday and didn't get so much
as a bite. I finally switched to nightcrawlers and fished on the
bottom, thinking I'd at least get a catfish. Zilch. I figure
we'll wait a week or so and let the water temp cool down, then
give it another go.

I want to have the meat in the 220 to 230 range. DH says it
doesn't matter, and he doesn't want to baby-sit the cooker

all
day.

Handcuff him tot he smoker next to a cooler full of beer. That
whimp!

That's a much kinder word than I'd use to describe him right now
g.

If DD weren't already salivating, wanting pork sandwiches all
week (she even eats them for breakfast, before school!), I'd let
him find out what it would be like to do it his way. I think it
may come to that, anyway, in the future.

(What gets me is I don't even like pork BBQ that much. I'm a
brisket gal g.)

Karen C.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:10 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Big Jim" wrote in message
Sorry Karen, but IMO he is right.

I ain't EVEN gonna tell him you said that g.

People spend too much time trying to keep
the temp in too small a cooking range. If the pit wants to cook

at 305 let
it, don't keep fussing with it trying to keep it lower. If you

think it is
too high make a smaller fire.

That's the problem; he made a stinkin' bonfire! I had to shovel
some of it out. I think what was really making it blaze was the
big hickory chunks. He had about four of them that were each the
size of a Pepsi can.

I have cooked 100's if not 1000's of BUTTS and I doubt if any

one of
themwere cooked under 300, most in the 325 range.
Let it rock, you will like it anyway.

Thanks! I'd like it a lot better if it were a good hunk of
brisket, though g.

Karen C.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:28 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Dan is offline

Karen C. wrote:

That's the problem; he made a stinkin' bonfire! I had to shovel
some of it out. I think what was really making it blaze was the
big hickory chunks. He had about four of them that were each the
size of a Pepsi can.

Karen C.

That's too much smoke - particularly Hickory. I cooked one last night
with a golfball sized piece of Hickory, two Cherry - same size, and a
small handful of apple - it was shredded. The smoke ring was 1/4" -
3/8" all around in a small picnic and the flavor was great.

Dan

Old 03-09-2007, 11:28 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 3, 9:10 am, "Karen C." wrote:
"Big Jim" wrote in message

I have cooked 100's if not 1000's of BUTTS and I doubt if any

one of
themwere cooked under 300, most in the 325 range.
Let it rock, you will like it anyway.

Thanks! I'd like it a lot better if it were a good hunk of
brisket, though g.

Butt is probably the least heat sensitive cut for BBQ.
Ribs I try to keep it lower than 260, butts 300ish. Butt listen to
BigJ, he's the definition of pro cooker.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:56 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"frohe" wrote in message
Karen C. wrote:
I want to have the meat in the 220 to 230 range. DH says it
doesn't matter, and he doesn't want to baby-sit the cooker

all
day.

Heck, I don't blame him. Bump the temp up to 300-325 and get

the same great
results in less time.

Well, I know I *could* do bump it up; but it just seems to me
that all the books I've been reading say you should keep it in a
lower range for optimal results. I figure if I'm going to mess
with it, and if I can control it, I'd just as soon to have the
optimal results.

[And, yes, I know I'm a big control freak g.]

Karen C.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:07 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tutall" wrote in message
oups.com...
Butt is probably the least heat sensitive cut for BBQ.

Ribs I try to keep it lower than 260, butts 300ish. Butt listen
BigJ, he's the definition of pro cooker.

Thanks for your feedback. I have no doubt it tastes good at 300,
but I was just afraid to go that high.

I did a lot better with the temp control this time than the first
time, but I can see it's going to take some practice to figure
out how to do it properly.

Karen C.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:22 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

As it turned out, I had to fire DH because he just wasn't much
interested in the details. He just figured you threw the pork on
the grill, put the lid on it, and threw some lump and water in
the smoker every few hours. This surprised the heck out of me
because he's as big a pork eater as DD. (He's also the best cook
in the family and is very attentive to details when it comes to
food.)

The funny thing is that I'd told him, yesterday a.m., that it was
a long process and that, since we'd gotten such a late start
(9:30 a.m.), we'd have to fix something else for that night's
supper. He must have thought I was kidding because he came up to
me about 6:30 p.m. and asked me when supper was going to be
ready. I said, "Huh?" and he asked when the pork would be ready.
I told him he'd better get something else together for supper
because I was working on *tomorrow night's supper*. LOL! Talk
about a letdown!

Anyway, it took 15-3/4 hours to reach 195. I couldn't believe
how much of a difference there was with this second try. I had a
heck of a time getting it off of the grill because it fell apart
on me. I wrapped it in foil and a towel and threw it in the
cooler and hurried off to bed. It was still quite warm when I
got up at 6 and put it in the refrigerator.

I do believe I'm going to let DH have the pleasure of pulling it
this evening for our supper g.

There are only a handful of things I can cook better than DH.
However, if smell is any indicator, I just may have found
something else for that list g. I already know it's going to
be a whole lot better than my first butt!

Thanks to you folks for all of your help! I appreciate it very
much!

Karen C.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:42 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3-Sep-2007, "Big Jim" wrote:

"Karen C." wrote in message
[...]

What Jim said. My pit has a sweet spot at about 275 dome temp (NB
Silver offset). That means it runs without fuss or attention at that temp.
Its near 300 near the firebox and more like 250 or less at the far end.
Everything gets cooked at those temperatures more or less. Big
pieces get placed close to the fire. Butts cook in 5 to 7 hours, ribs 4
or less. I don't pay much attention to time. Mostly, I use time to know
when to check on the fire, but mostly I just watch the dome temp and
leave it the hell alone until it starts to drop off. Then, it's time to add
fuel.
I don't F#$% with the vents to get it back to temp. I just dump in some
fuel and get back to my A/C livingroom. I check on the meat the first
time at about 4 hours. Then I might turn big pieces 180 to even out
the heat. One exception is if I have ribs stacked in there. Then I
shuffle them about every two hours to even out the exposure.
--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)

Old 04-09-2007, 02:54 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Karen C." wrote in message
"frohe" wrote in message
Karen C. wrote:
I want to have the meat in the 220 to 230 range. DH says it
doesn't matter, and he doesn't want to baby-sit the cooker

all
day.

Heck, I don't blame him. Bump the temp up to 300-325 and get

the same great
results in less time.

Well, I know I *could* do bump it up; but it just seems to me
that all the books I've been reading say you should keep it in a
lower range for optimal results. I figure if I'm going to mess
with it, and if I can control it, I'd just as soon to have the
optimal results.

[And, yes, I know I'm a big control freak g.]

Karen C.

Forget the books. They are written to sell.
Listen to folks that know what they are doing.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Old 04-09-2007, 02:59 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Karen C." wrote in message
As it turned out, I had to fire DH because he just wasn't much
interested in the details. He just figured you threw the pork on
the grill, put the lid on it, and threw some lump and water in
the smoker every few hours. This surprised the heck out of me
because he's as big a pork eater as DD. (He's also the best cook
in the family and is very attentive to details when it comes to
food.)

Karen C.

Karen, looks like he has a case that will stand up in court.
That is exactly how one should cook BBQ. Don't try making it complicated
with all the fussing.
LISTEN to DH
He has it figured out.
Of course you can cook it anyway you want. BUTT.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Old 04-09-2007, 03:03 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
What Jim said. My pit has a sweet spot at about 275 dome temp

(NB
Silver offset). That means it runs without fuss or attention at

that temp.
Its near 300 near the firebox and more like 250 or less at

the far end.
mostly I just watch the dome temp and
leave it the hell alone until it starts to drop off. Then, it's

time to add
fuel.

Hmmm . . . I'm using a SMW, and I have a (Maverick) thermometer
probe at the rack, not far from the meat but not touching. Then
I have the other probe in the meat. Is there a reason I should
have another thermometer at the top of the dome?

Everything gets cooked at those temperatures more or less. Big
pieces get placed close to the fire. Butts cook in 5 to 7

hours, ribs 4
or less. . . .

I don't know how you guys do it! The thought of cooking a bunch
of stuff at one time gives me a headache g.

I don't pay much attention to time.

I learned that lesson with my first attempt g.

I don't F#$% with the vents to get it back to temp. I just dump

in some
fuel and get back to my A/C livingroom. I check on the meat the

first
time at about 4 hours. . . . shuffle them about every two hours

to even out the exposure.

I can only dream of the time when I'm that confident in what I'm
doing! LOL!

Thanks!

Karen C.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:06 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Big Jim" wrote in message
Karen, looks like he has a case that will stand up in court.
That is exactly how one should cook BBQ. Don't try making it

complicated
with all the fussing.
LISTEN to DH
He has it figured out.

LOL! I am NOT going to tell him you said this g.

Of course you can cook it anyway you want. BUTT.

I'm sold; I'll be happy to let him do the next one his way g.

Karen C.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:07 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Big Jim" wrote in message
Forget the books. They are written to sell.
Listen to folks that know what they are doing.

Duly noted!

Thanks!

Karen C.