Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boston Butt?

I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. The Publix weekly ad
lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. (Pork steaks and pork chops are a
dollar or more higher per pound.) Before I add this to my grocery list I'd
like suggestions as to how to prepare it. No thanks to pulled pork or
anything involving BBQ sauce, please Any other suggestions? TIA

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 7:23*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. *The Publix weekly ad
> lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. *(Pork steaks and pork chops are a
> dollar or more higher per pound.) *Before I add this to my grocery list I'd
> like suggestions as to how to prepare it. *No thanks to pulled pork or
> anything involving BBQ sauce, please *Any other suggestions? *TIA

Really barbecue this fatty cut (low and slow with or without smoke) or
grind it for fresh sausage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. The Publix weekly ad
> lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. (Pork steaks and pork chops are a
> dollar or more higher per pound.) Before I add this to my grocery list
> I'd like suggestions as to how to prepare it. No thanks to pulled pork
> or anything involving BBQ sauce, please Any other suggestions? TIA

I've really been enjoying the meatballs I made from a cheap pork roast.

Or just roast it in a bed of sauerkraut and apples.

If that cut has a bone, boil it to make pork broth. It is wonderful in
chili (just the broth, use beef or venison for the meat.)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. The Publix weekly ad
>lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. (Pork steaks and pork chops are a
>dollar or more higher per pound.) Before I add this to my grocery list I'd
>like suggestions as to how to prepare it. No thanks to pulled pork or
>anything involving BBQ sauce, please Any other suggestions? TIA
>
> Jill

Cooked and shredded: tacos, enchiladas, tamales, burritos, chili, hash,
sloppy Joe.
cut up into chunks or strips: stir fry, stew.
Or use it for a pork pot roast. Just mark you calendar so you will know the
next time you see it on sale.

Robert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" wrote in message ...

jmcquown wrote:
> I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. The Publix weekly ad
> lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. (Pork steaks and pork chops are a
> dollar or more higher per pound.) Before I add this to my grocery list
> I'd like suggestions as to how to prepare it. No thanks to pulled pork or
> anything involving BBQ sauce, please Any other suggestions? TIA

I've really been enjoying the meatballs I made from a cheap pork roast.

Or just roast it in a bed of sauerkraut and apples.

If that cut has a bone, boil it to make pork broth. It is wonderful in
chili (just the broth, use beef or venison for the meat.)

Bob

No bone. Boneless pork roast. If I buy it I may just grind it for
meatballs Thanks, Bob!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 10:23:51 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. The Publix weekly ad
>lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. (Pork steaks and pork chops are a
>dollar or more higher per pound.) Before I add this to my grocery list I'd
>like suggestions as to how to prepare it. No thanks to pulled pork or
>anything involving BBQ sauce, please Any other suggestions? TIA

Boston butt may not be a cut you'd like for a roast... I suggest the
opposite end, a fresh ham, butt half. You may want to have the
butcher remove the bone and tie it. Or have it butterfli ed so you
can stuff it.
http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_sh..._butt_cuts.htm
http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatPorkShoulder.html
Fresh ham is the king of meat:
http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_ham_cuts.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. The Publix weekly ad
>lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. (Pork steaks and pork chops are a
>dollar or more higher per pound.) Before I add this to my grocery list I'd
>like suggestions as to how to prepare it. No thanks to pulled pork or
>anything involving BBQ sauce, please Any other suggestions? TIA

Boston butt may not be a cut you'd like for a roast... I suggest the
opposite end, a fresh ham, butt half. You may want to have the
butcher remove the bone and tie it. Or have it butterfli ed so you
can stuff it.
http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_sh..._butt_cuts.htm
http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatPorkShoulder.html
Fresh ham is the king of meat:
http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_ham_cuts.htm

Or I could simply skip buying it altogether. The cheap price is attractive,
but not unless I can get several tasty meals from it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25-Oct-2012, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. The Publix weekly
> ad
> lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. (Pork steaks and pork chops are
> dollar or more higher per pound.) Before I add this to my grocery
> list I'd
> like suggestions as to how to prepare it. No thanks to pulled pork or
>
> anything involving BBQ sauce, please Any other suggestions? TIA
>
> Jill

If it were me, I'd ask the meat counter personnel to cut it into pork
steaks; they are great grilled or braised, smothered in onions
(optionally with apple). If the meat counter people won't/can't cut
into steaks then I'd go with either carnitas or slow-roasted, spiced as
you prefer.
--

Change Cujo to Juno in email address.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/25/2012 4:23 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. The Publix weekly ad
> lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. (Pork steaks and pork chops are a
> dollar or more higher per pound.) Before I add this to my grocery list
> I'd like suggestions as to how to prepare it. No thanks to pulled pork
> or anything involving BBQ sauce, please Any other suggestions? TIA
>
> Jill

I'm pretty much burnt out by the pulled pork and BBQ sauce routine too.
I've been roasting the pork and frying it with vinegar. The last time,
it was served like a pot roast in gravy. Damn that was good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 13:42:38 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" wrote in message
.. .

>On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 10:23:51 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>wrote:
>
>>I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. The Publix weekly ad
>>lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. (Pork steaks and pork chops are a
>>dollar or more higher per pound.) Before I add this to my grocery list I'd
>>like suggestions as to how to prepare it. No thanks to pulled pork or
>>anything involving BBQ sauce, please Any other suggestions? TIA

>Boston butt may not be a cut you'd like for a roast... I suggest the
>opposite end, a fresh ham, butt half. You may want to have the
>butcher remove the bone and tie it. Or have it butterfli ed so you
>can stuff it.
>http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_sh..._butt_cuts.htm
>http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatPorkShoulder.html
>Fresh ham is the king of meat:
>http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_ham_cuts.htm
>

>Or I could simply skip buying it altogether. The cheap price is attractive,
>but not unless I can get several tasty meals from it.

You're welcome, Julie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/25/2012 4:23 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. The Publix weekly ad
> lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. (Pork steaks and pork chops are a
> dollar or more higher per pound.) Before I add this to my grocery list
> I'd like suggestions as to how to prepare it. No thanks to pulled pork
> or anything involving BBQ sauce, please Any other suggestions? TIA
>
> Jill

You could also cut up the pork and make a Filipino style adobo. The main
flavoring is black pepper, bay leaves, vinegar, and garlic. Here's a
recipe although I'd cut up a butt and would never use sirloin chops. I
use whole pepper corns and twice the amount of bay leaves. Some cooks
serve it wet with the sauce but I mostly serve it dry. Just reduce the
sauce down until the pork starts to fry and brown it a little. This
requires that you pay careful attention to the pork towards the end.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2005/10...e-adobong.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 08:29:00 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 10/25/2012 4:23 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. The Publix weekly ad
>> lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. (Pork steaks and pork chops are a
>> dollar or more higher per pound.) Before I add this to my grocery list
>> I'd like suggestions as to how to prepare it. No thanks to pulled pork
>> or anything involving BBQ sauce, please Any other suggestions? TIA
>>
>> Jill

>You could also cut up the pork and make a Filipino style adobo. The main
>flavoring is black pepper, bay leaves, vinegar, and garlic. Here's a
>recipe although I'd cut up a butt and would never use sirloin chops. I
>use whole pepper corns and twice the amount of bay leaves. Some cooks
>serve it wet with the sauce but I mostly serve it dry. Just reduce the
>sauce down until the pork starts to fry and brown it a little. This
>requires that you pay careful attention to the pork towards the end.
>
>http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2005/10...e-adobong.html

Another recipe to try is Pandi Curry from the Coorg region of India.

http://www.acookeryyearincoorg.com/?p=918

It is a variation on Pork Vindaloo. It is better for the fatty cuts of
pork.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On 10/25/2012 4:23 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. The Publix weekly ad
>> lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. (Pork steaks and pork chops are a
>> dollar or more higher per pound.) Before I add this to my grocery list
>> I'd like suggestions as to how to prepare it. No thanks to pulled pork
>> or anything involving BBQ sauce, please Any other suggestions? TIA
>>
>> Jill

It is on sale here for 99 cents a pound. We will buy a couple for the
freezer.

Becca makes Cochinita Pibil with it. Here is a recipe that looks pretty
close to how she makes it:
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cochinita_pibil/

Very good... we are having some for dinner tonight.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/25/2012 8:58 AM, Robert Klute wrote:

> Another recipe to try is Pandi Curry from the Coorg region of India.
>
> http://www.acookeryyearincoorg.com/?p=918
>
> It is a variation on Pork Vindaloo. It is better for the fatty cuts of
> pork.

I haven't gotten into Indian foods much and am pretty ignorant about
this but will check it out. My son digs Indian food and has dragged us
out to Indian hole-in-the-walls. I think I may have met my match as far
as heat level goes. I tried an eggplant dish and just recalling the heat
is making my ears feel inflamed. Those guys is nutz!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 12:56*pm, "l not -l" > wrote:
> On 25-Oct-2012, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> > I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. *The Publix weekly
> > ad
> > lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. *(Pork steaks and pork chops are
> > dollar or more higher per pound.) *Before I add this to my grocery
> > list I'd
> > like suggestions as to how to prepare it. *No thanks to pulled pork or

> > anything involving BBQ sauce, please *Any other suggestions? *TIA

> > Jill

> If it were me, I'd ask the meat counter personnel to cut it into pork
> steaks; they are great grilled or braised, smothered in onions
> (optionally with apple).

Pork steaks are never "great," and I'm from St. Louis, so it isn't
that I haven't had them cooked by lots of other folks, and grilled
hundreds of them myself. They're cheap, but they're tough and have a
lot of fat on them. When whole butts sliced into steaks are 99 cents
a pound, do I buy them? Heck yeah. Still, I think pork shoulder is
most appropriately made into sausage.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/25/2012 10:18 AM, Robert wrote:

> Cooked and shredded: tacos, enchiladas, tamales, burritos, chili, hash,
> sloppy Joe.
> cut up into chunks or strips: stir fry, stew.
> Or use it for a pork pot roast. Just mark you calendar so you will know
> the next time you see it on sale.
>
> Robert

Those are some good ideas, Robert. Boston butt are on sale for 99 cents
per pound, so I will buy a couple and make conchinita pibil. I will put
the rest in the freezer.

http://heb.inserts2online.com/custom...drpStoreID=257

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 9:23*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. *The Publix weekly ad
> lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. *(Pork steaks and pork chops are a
> dollar or more higher per pound.) *Before I add this to my grocery list I'd
> like suggestions as to how to prepare it. *No thanks to pulled pork or
> anything involving BBQ sauce, please *Any other suggestions? *TIA

Do not buy it. Boston butt is not worth $1.99/#, period. I only buy
it when it goes on sale for 99 cents/#, but $1.39 is not
unreasonable. $1.99 is.

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 15:44:12 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

>On 10/25/2012 10:18 AM, Robert wrote:
>
>> Cooked and shredded: tacos, enchiladas, tamales, burritos, chili, hash,
>> sloppy Joe.
>> cut up into chunks or strips: stir fry, stew.
>> Or use it for a pork pot roast. Just mark you calendar so you will know
>> the next time you see it on sale.
>>
>> Robert

>Those are some good ideas, Robert. Boston butt are on sale for 99 cents
>per pound, so I will buy a couple and make conchinita pibil. I will put
>the rest in the freezer.
>
>http://heb.inserts2online.com/custom...drpStoreID=257

http://www.moonlite.com/blog/2012/01...s-boston-butt/
http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/bee...tsofpork_2.htm
This works with boston butt:
http://www.elboricua.com/pernil.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 12:42*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> Or I could simply skip buying it altogether. *The cheap price is attractive,
> but not unless I can get several tasty meals from it.
>
> Jill

Personally I think $1.99 per pound is expensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 2:28*pm, George Leppla > wrote:

> It is on sale here for 99 cents a pound. *We will buy a couple for the
> freezer.
>

> George L

Whew, I wish I lived in your area!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 3:57*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> Do not buy it. *Boston butt is not worth $1.99/#, period. *I only buy
> it when it goes on sale for 99 cents/#, but $1.39 is not
> unreasonable. *$1.99 is.
>

> --Bryan

^5!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 4:30*pm, dsi1 > wrote:

> On 10/25/2012 11:20 AM, wrote:
>
> > On Oct 25, 12:42 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> >> Or I could simply skip buying it altogether. *The cheap price is attractive,
> >> but not unless I can get several tasty meals from it.

> >> Jill

> > Personally I think $1.99 per pound is expensive.

> Interesting. The last time I bought pork butt it was $2.39/lb. I
> actually thought it was expensive too. Not that the store much cares
> about what I think. They'd probably tell me that I can kiss their
> butt... goodbye, that is.

Hahahahaaaaaa, yes they probably would!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 10:15:52 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 10/25/2012 8:58 AM, Robert Klute wrote:
>>
>> Another recipe to try is Pandi Curry from the Coorg region of India.
>>
>> http://www.acookeryyearincoorg.com/?p=918
>>
>> It is a variation on Pork Vindaloo. It is better for the fatty cuts of
>> pork.
>>

>I haven't gotten into Indian foods much and am pretty ignorant about
>this but will check it out. My son digs Indian food and has dragged us
>out to Indian hole-in-the-walls. I think I may have met my match as far
>as heat level goes. I tried an eggplant dish and just recalling the heat
>is making my ears feel inflamed. Those guys is nutz!

Not everyone in India eats with the chilli level set to 11. My wife
comes from western India (Bombay) and doesn't like real spicy. Her
mother ate hot and so does my son. I am in the middle - I like hot when
it part of the charater of the dish. So Panang Beef has to be hot.
Otherwise, you are ruining the rest of the ingredients.

The best advice I can give is either reduce the number of chillies you
use and/or use milder chillies. Depending on your taste buds, step down
to jalapenos or pasillas from serrano, thai, or bird's head. Don't
eliminate them, they do add flavor in addition to bite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 13:57:10 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Oct 25, 9:23*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. *The Publix weekly ad
>> lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. *(Pork steaks and pork chops are a
>> dollar or more higher per pound.) *Before I add this to my grocery list I'd
>> like suggestions as to how to prepare it. *No thanks to pulled pork or
>> anything involving BBQ sauce, please *Any other suggestions? *TIA

>Do not buy it. Boston butt is not worth $1.99/#, period. I only buy
>it when it goes on sale for 99 cents/#, but $1.39 is not
>unreasonable. $1.99 is.

I buy bone-in center cut pork loin for $1.99/lb.
I wouldn't buy pork butt at 99¢/lb unless I was making sausage, as a
roast it's not worth the cooking time/energy used.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/25/2012 11:35 AM, Robert Klute wrote:

> Not everyone in India eats with the chilli level set to 11. My wife
> comes from western India (Bombay) and doesn't like real spicy. Her
> mother ate hot and so does my son. I am in the middle - I like hot when
> it part of the charater of the dish. So Panang Beef has to be hot.
> Otherwise, you are ruining the rest of the ingredients.
>
> The best advice I can give is either reduce the number of chillies you
> use and/or use milder chillies. Depending on your taste buds, step down
> to jalapenos or pasillas from serrano, thai, or bird's head. Don't
> eliminate them, they do add flavor in addition to bite.

I like to keep the heat level down to about medium too. Heat level is
not a problem when I cook. I am the master of my own heat. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 4:47*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 13:57:10 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
> >On Oct 25, 9:23 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> >> I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. The Publix weekly ad
> >> lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. (Pork steaks and pork chops are a
> >> dollar or more higher per pound.) Before I add this to my grocery list I'd
> >> like suggestions as to how to prepare it. No thanks to pulled pork or
> >> anything involving BBQ sauce, please Any other suggestions? TIA

> >Do not buy it. *Boston butt is not worth $1.99/#, period. *I only buy
> >it when it goes on sale for 99 cents/#, but $1.39 is not
> >unreasonable. *$1.99 is.

> I buy bone-in center cut pork loin for $1.99/lb.
> I wouldn't buy pork butt at 99 /lb unless I was making sausage, as a
> roast it's not worth the cooking time/energy used.

I don't buy it whole, but sliced into 1/2" "pork steaks" for grilling
and saucing over a wood fire. I agree that it's not very good for
roasting.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. The Publix weekly ad
> lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. (Pork steaks and pork chops are a
> dollar or more higher per pound.) Before I add this to my grocery list I'd
> like suggestions as to how to prepare it. No thanks to pulled pork or
> anything involving BBQ sauce, please Any other suggestions? TIA

I'll second the recommendations that low and slow roasting requires
neither pulling nor sauce, for adobo and carnitas.

I make pork stew from butt roasts. Dice, cook slowly without the
veggies, drain off plenty of the fat. Cook the veggies separately.
Combine in the last hour and also add fresh herbs at that time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 11:58:37 -0700, Robert Klute >
wrote:

snip
>Another recipe to try is Pandi Curry from the Coorg region of India.
>
>http://www.acookeryyearincoorg.com/?p=918
>
>It is a variation on Pork Vindaloo. It is better for the fatty cuts of
>pork.

That sound delicious, thank you.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Or I could simply skip buying it altogether. The cheap price is attractive,
> but not unless I can get several tasty meals from it.

Jill, for that good price I would just roast it with minimum spices then
take it from there. The first meal would be tasty right out of the oven
along with some sides. You are an experienced cook. You'll know what to do
with the leftovers.

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. The Publix weekly ad
> lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. (Pork steaks and pork chops are a
> dollar or more higher per pound.) Before I add this to my grocery list I'd
> like suggestions as to how to prepare it. No thanks to pulled pork or
> anything involving BBQ sauce, please Any other suggestions? TIA

I ordered the most amazing cider braised pork shoulder the other day
and I plan to try that with a Boston Butt. There are lots of recipes
on the net.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 14:20:26 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

> On Oct 25, 12:42*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> >

> > Or I could simply skip buying it altogether. *The cheap price is attractive,
> > but not unless I can get several tasty meals from it.
> >
> > Jill
> >

> Personally I think $1.99 per pound is expensive.

All you people live in Nirvana. I'd grab it for $1.99 a pound.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Another recipe to try is Pandi Curry from the Coorg region of India.
>
> http://www.acookeryyearincoorg.com/?p=918
>
> It is a variation on Pork Vindaloo. It is better for the fatty cuts of
> pork.

So, what "chilli powder" do you use for this?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 14:27:39 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

> Becca makes Cochinita Pibil with it. Here is a recipe that looks pretty
> close to how she makes it:
> http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cochinita_pibil/

I see orange juice and lime, so I'm wondering if this is her take on
Cuban style pork (the one made with a sour orange marinade)...
whatever it's called.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 8:17*pm, sf > wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 14:20:26 -0700 (PDT), "
>
> > wrote:
>
> > On Oct 25, 12:42 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> > > Or I could simply skip buying it altogether. The cheap price is attractive,
> > > but not unless I can get several tasty meals from it.

> > > Jill

> > Personally I think $1.99 per pound is expensive.

> All you people live in Nirvana. *I'd grab it for $1.99 a pound.

We must live in Nirvana as that had better be a price winning hog
before I'd pay $1.99 per pound for him.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:41:50 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Oct 25, 8:17*pm, sf > wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 14:20:26 -0700 (PDT), "
>>
>> > wrote:

>> > Personally I think $1.99 per pound is expensive.

>> All you people live in Nirvana. *I'd grab it for $1.99 a pound.
>>

>We must live in Nirvana as that had better be a price winning hog
>before I'd pay $1.99 per pound for him.

Your address is Nirvana. Lucky you.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

On Oct 25, 12:42 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> Or I could simply skip buying it altogether. The cheap price is
> attractive,
> but not unless I can get several tasty meals from it.
>
> Jill

Personally I think $1.99 per pound is expensive.
****************

Compared to the price of pork chops, pork steaks, pork tenderloin, et. al.,
$1.99/lb. is darn cheap. There aren't a lot of hog farms in South Carolina

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 08:39:03 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>wrote in message
>
>On Oct 25, 12:42 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>

>> Or I could simply skip buying it altogether. The cheap price is
>> attractive,
>> but not unless I can get several tasty meals from it.
>>
>> Jill
>>

>Personally I think $1.99 per pound is expensive.
>****************
>
>Compared to the price of pork chops, pork steaks, pork tenderloin, et. al.,
>$1.99/lb. is darn cheap. There aren't a lot of hog farms in South Carolina

Not once it is cooked. A decent [IMO] butt will be 50% fat or so--
raising the price to $3.98/lb vs some loin chops.

Price-wise I consider a whole loin at $1.99 to be the best pork buy---
but I like a good butt for 99cents when I see them.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. The Publix weekly ad
>lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. (Pork steaks and pork chops are a
>dollar or more higher per pound.) Before I add this to my grocery list I'd
>like suggestions as to how to prepare it. No thanks to pulled pork or
>anything involving BBQ sauce, please Any other suggestions? TIA
>
>Jill

Put it in a crock pot with a bag of fresh cranberries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 9:23*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I don't recall the last time I made a pork roast. *The Publix weekly ad
> lists Boston butt roast for $1.99/lb. *(Pork steaks and pork chops are a
> dollar or more higher per pound.) *Before I add this to my grocery list I'd
> like suggestions as to how to prepare it. *No thanks to pulled pork or
> anything involving BBQ sauce, please *Any other suggestions? *TIA
>
> Jill

I think pulled pork or some kind of slow-cooker dish, maybe stew? - is
the only way to go for this fatty, cheap cut. The last one I bought
for the crockpot for pulled pork was bad - couldn't tell by the raw
smell or feel, but cooked? Man, it was just way off. The date was
still "good" for another 10 days, but I didn't feel like messing about
to take the wrapper back to the store to get my money back. But it's
turned me off pulled pork for the foreseeable future. It was in a
sealed heavy plastic wrapper (not from the fresh meat case).

N.