Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Big Jim Big Jim is offline

Default Boston Butt - Second Try

"Karen C." > wrote in message
> Well, since the heat knocked us out of our fishing trip, we
> decided to smoke that other butt in the freezer. We put it on
> this a.m., about an hour ago. Although the first one was edible,
> I'm hoping for much better results this time around.
>
> DH was supposed to be trying his hand at the smoker today, but I
> can see wer're going to be feuding all day because he doesn't
> seem to see how important keeping the temp within the range. (I
> just went outside and found the temp of the smoker to be 305!
>
> I want to have the meat in the 220 to 230 range. DH says it
> doesn't matter, and he doesn't want to baby-sit the cooker all
> day.
>
> Guess I'm stuck baby-sitting the cooker today. If it weren't for
> the fact that our DD LOVES pork barbecue so much, I'd let him go
> ahead and do it his way.
>
> Sheesh!
>
> Karen C.

Sorry Karen, but IMO he is right. People spend too much time trying to keep
the temp in too small a cooking range. If the pit wants to cook at 305° let
it, don't keep fussing with it trying to keep it lower. If you think it is
too high make a smaller fire.
I have cooked 100's if not 1000's of BUTTS and I doubt if any one of
themwere cooked under 300°, most in the 325° range.
Let it rock, you will like it anyway.