Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boston Butt

Hi everyone, we just arrived in Harlingen yesterday and when I went shopping
today they had boston butt on for .99 lb. Does anyone have instructions for
oven slow cooking it?

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN

Posted to rec.food.cooking

mom peagram wrote:
> Hi everyone, we just arrived in Harlingen yesterday and when I went
> shopping today they had boston butt on for .99 lb. Does anyone have
> instructions for oven slow cooking it?

Instructions? It's one of those cuts of meat that you really *can't*
screw up unless you try. Just put it in the roaster at about 325 until
it's done.

That's a good price, btw.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"mom peagram" > wrote in message
> Hi everyone, we just arrived in Harlingen yesterday and when I went
> shopping today they had boston butt on for .99 lb. Does anyone have
> instructions for oven slow cooking it?
>
> --
> mompeagram
> FERGUS/HARLINGEN

Sure salt & pepper
put in a 400 degree oven uncovered for 30 minutes to brown.
OR
Brown on hot fat on all sides.
Take 2 small cans of sauerkraut and place on the bottom of a slow cooker.
Put the roast on top of the sauerkraut
add 1 cup of dry white wine.
cover & cook till done on high or low depending on the amount of time you
have.

When done

Drain the liquid to a separate pan
add some Dijon mustard
thicken with cornstarch & wine slurry.
Serve with boiled potatoes.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri > wrote:

> Sure salt & pepper
> put in a 400 degree oven uncovered for 30 minutes to brown.
> OR
> Brown on hot fat on all sides.
> Take 2 small cans of sauerkraut and place on the bottom of a slow cooker.
> Put the roast on top of the sauerkraut
> add 1 cup of dry white wine.
> cover & cook till done on high or low depending on the amount of time you
> have.

Butt, saurkraut, and potatoes is one of the best meals out there.
But I'd cut a whole 6-8lb pork butt down into chunks and bury it in
sauerkraut so that it would cook quicker and the kraut juice could
seep into the meat more.

> Serve with boiled potatoes.

I always cook the potatoes with the kraut. Again - so the
sauerkraut kinda pickles the potatoes.

Here's a example of the finished product:
http://i3.tinypic.com/80oaiv5.jpg

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Dimitri > wrote:
>
>> Sure salt & pepper
>> put in a 400 degree oven uncovered for 30 minutes to brown.
>> OR
>> Brown on hot fat on all sides.
>> Take 2 small cans of sauerkraut and place on the bottom of a slow cooker.
>> Put the roast on top of the sauerkraut
>> add 1 cup of dry white wine.
>> cover & cook till done on high or low depending on the amount of time
>> you
>> have.

> Butt, saurkraut, and potatoes is one of the best meals out there.
> But I'd cut a whole 6-8lb pork butt down into chunks and bury it in
> sauerkraut so that it would cook quicker and the kraut juice could
> seep into the meat more.
>
>> Serve with boiled potatoes.

> I always cook the potatoes with the kraut. Again - so the
> sauerkraut kinda pickles the potatoes.
>
> Here's a example of the finished product:
> http://i3.tinypic.com/80oaiv5.jpg
>
> -sw

Yummy photo.

There is a wonderful thing (sweetness) that happens to pork when cooked in
Acid.

Some of the best dishes:

Carne Adovada - Red Chili
Green Chili Stew (Hatch Chili)
Pork cooked in Salsa Verde (tomatillos)
Pork cooked in sauerkraut.

It's too bad the pork today is so very lean they need to brine it. :-(

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri > wrote:

> It's too bad the pork today is so very lean they need to brine it. :-(

This is why the pork butt/shoulder/boston butt is the best piece of
pork to use for many dishes. And it's always under $1.60 here.
Still lots of intramuscular fat in this fat - great for low slow
cooking and great porky flavor.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> mom peagram wrote:
>> Hi everyone, we just arrived in Harlingen yesterday and when I went
>> shopping today they had boston butt on for .99 lb. Does anyone have
>> instructions for oven slow cooking it?
>>

> Instructions? It's one of those cuts of meat that you really *can't*
> screw up unless you try. Just put it in the roaster at about 325 until
> it's done.
>
> That's a good price, btw.
>
> Bob

Thanks Bob; I did find a recipe using a rub and I'm going to try that to
make pulled pork. Long and slow was what I thought and it sounds like I was
right. Very good price. I'll be able to freeze a fair amount of pulled
pork!

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"mom peagram" wrote

> Thanks Bob; I did find a recipe using a rub and I'm going to try that to
> make pulled pork. Long and slow was what I thought and it sounds like I
> was right. Very good price. I'll be able to freeze a fair amount of
> pulled pork!

Will work in a crockpot too. Add no liquid. Just let it do it;s thing then
drain before pulling ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 5:32*pm, "mom peagram" > wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> > mom peagram wrote:
> >> Hi everyone, we just arrived in Harlingen yesterday and when I went
> >> shopping today they had boston butt on for .99 lb. *Does anyone have
> >> instructions for oven slow cooking it?

> > Instructions? *It's one of those cuts of meat that you really *can't*
> > screw up unless you try. *Just put it in the roaster at about 325 until
> > it's done.

> > That's a good price, btw.

> > Bob

> Thanks Bob; I did find a recipe using a rub and I'm going to try that to
> make pulled pork. *Long and slow was what I thought and it sounds like I was
> right. *Very good price. *I'll be able to freeze a fair amount of pulled
> pork!
>
> --
> mompeagram
> FERGUS/HARLINGEN

I saw on CooksCountryTV (part of America's Test Kitchen) a few weeks
ago on how to do a boneless Boston Butt on the Weber with a rub. It
was smoked for about 2-3 hours and then finished in the oven for
another 2-3 hours and pulled. Oh my, it certainly looked delicious!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Dimitri > wrote:
>
> > Sure salt & pepper
> > put in a 400 degree oven uncovered for 30 minutes to brown.
> > OR
> > Brown on hot fat on all sides.
> > Take 2 small cans of sauerkraut and place on the bottom of a slow cooker.
> > Put the roast on top of the sauerkraut
> > add 1 cup of dry white wine.
> > cover & cook till done on high or low depending on the amount of time you
> > have.

> Butt, saurkraut, and potatoes is one of the best meals out there.
> But I'd cut a whole 6-8lb pork butt down into chunks and bury it in
> sauerkraut so that it would cook quicker and the kraut juice could
> seep into the meat more.
>
> > Serve with boiled potatoes.

> I always cook the potatoes with the kraut. Again - so the
> sauerkraut kinda pickles the potatoes.
>
> Here's a example of the finished product:
> http://i3.tinypic.com/80oaiv5.jpg
>
> -sw

Gods that pic made me drool. I've had very little to eat the past week
as I've been ill. My stomach hurts pretty bad right now. <sigh> It's
been about 36 hours since I've had anything. I need to decant that pot
of beef heart soup in the pressure cooker.

On the upside, starvation has lost me 5 lbs. in 8 days. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> "mom peagram" wrote
>
> > Thanks Bob; I did find a recipe using a rub and I'm going to try that to
> > make pulled pork. Long and slow was what I thought and it sounds like I
> > was right. Very good price. I'll be able to freeze a fair amount of
> > pulled pork!

> Will work in a crockpot too. Add no liquid. Just let it do it;s thing then
> drain before pulling ;-)

Works well in a dutch oven too. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "mom peagram" > wrote in message
>> Hi everyone, we just arrived in Harlingen yesterday and when I went
>> shopping today they had boston butt on for .99 lb. Does anyone have
>> instructions for oven slow cooking it?
>>
>> --
>> mompeagram
>> FERGUS/HARLINGEN

> Sure salt & pepper
> put in a 400 degree oven uncovered for 30 minutes to brown.
> OR
> Brown on hot fat on all sides.
> Take 2 small cans of sauerkraut and place on the bottom of a slow cooker.
> Put the roast on top of the sauerkraut
> add 1 cup of dry white wine.
> cover & cook till done on high or low depending on the amount of time you
> have.
>
> When done
>
> Drain the liquid to a separate pan
> add some Dijon mustard
> thicken with cornstarch & wine slurry.
> Serve with boiled potatoes.
>
> Dimitri

Thanks but I think I would rather do it low and slow.

Helen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 11:01*am, "mom peagram" > wrote:
> Hi everyone, we just arrived in Harlingen yesterday and when I went shopping
> today they had boston butt on for .99 lb. *Does anyone have instructions for
> oven slow cooking it?
>
> --
> mompeagram
> FERGUS/HARLINGEN

I just put it in the crockpot. In the oven, I'd guess 325, covered,
for a few hours at the least.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

mom peagram wrote:

> Thanks but I think I would rather do it low and slow.

Pork and saurkraut is done slow. It's perfect Crock pot fare.

You don't know what yer missing.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> mom peagram wrote:
>
> > Thanks but I think I would rather do it low and slow.

> Pork and saurkraut is done slow. It's perfect Crock pot fare.
>
> You don't know what yer missing.
>
> -sw

I personally prefer sausage with kraut, but that's just me!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 16:06:20 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Dimitri > wrote:
>
>> Sure salt & pepper
>> put in a 400 degree oven uncovered for 30 minutes to brown.
>> OR
>> Brown on hot fat on all sides.
>> Take 2 small cans of sauerkraut and place on the bottom of a slow cooker.
>> Put the roast on top of the sauerkraut
>> add 1 cup of dry white wine.
>> cover & cook till done on high or low depending on the amount of time you
>> have.

>Butt, saurkraut, and potatoes is one of the best meals out there.
>But I'd cut a whole 6-8lb pork butt down into chunks and bury it in
>sauerkraut so that it would cook quicker and the kraut juice could
>seep into the meat more.
>
>> Serve with boiled potatoes.

>I always cook the potatoes with the kraut. Again - so the
>sauerkraut kinda pickles the potatoes.
>
>Here's a example of the finished product:
>http://i3.tinypic.com/80oaiv5.jpg
>
>-sw

Oh man. That's right on.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/01
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Nov 4, 11:01 am, "mom peagram" > wrote:
>> Hi everyone, we just arrived in Harlingen yesterday and when I went shopping
>> today they had boston butt on for .99 lb. Does anyone have instructions for
>> oven slow cooking it?
>>
>> --
>> mompeagram
>> FERGUS/HARLINGEN

> I just put it in the crockpot. In the oven, I'd guess 325, covered,
> for a few hours at the least.

When I want to mimic a slowcooker, I do 200F in the oven in a heavy
covered baking dish. It seems to time out just right compared to my old
slow-cooker, which broke.

Serene

--
"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 4:03*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "mom peagram" > wrote in message

> > Hi everyone, we just arrived in Harlingen yesterday and when I went
> > shopping today they had boston butt on for .99 lb. *Does anyone have
> > instructions for oven slow cooking it?

> > --
> > mompeagram
> > FERGUS/HARLINGEN

> Sure salt & pepper
> put in a 400 degree oven uncovered for 30 minutes to brown.
> OR
> Brown on hot fat on all sides.
> Take 2 small cans of sauerkraut and place on the bottom of a slow cooker.
> Put the roast on top of the sauerkraut
> add 1 cup of dry white wine.
> cover & cook till done on high or low depending on the amount of time *you
> have.
>
> When done
>
> Drain the liquid to a separate pan
> add some Dijon mustard
> thicken with cornstarch & wine slurry.
> Serve with boiled potatoes.
>
> Dimitri

Here's what I did. I coated it with brown mustard and then with a rub
I made up then I popped it into my nesco roaster for about 8 hours.
Came out fabulous!