Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Liquid Smoke

A friend and I were discussing the best way to cook ribs. He swears
that adding liquid smoke to the water as he boils them gives the best
flavor. I prefer sprinkling it on after removing them from the water,
or adding it to the catsup. What are your suggestions, and what is the
best brand of liquid smoke to use?

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---

TINSTAAFL
There Is No Such Thing
As A Free Lunch
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-04-13, Nonnymus > wrote:
> A friend and I were discussing the best way to cook ribs. He swears
> that adding liquid smoke to the water as he boils them gives the best
> flavor. I prefer sprinkling it on after removing them from the water,
> or adding it to the catsup. What are your suggestions, and what is the
> best brand of liquid smoke to use?

Water?? Boiling?? I use the BBQ and don't need no 'stinkin water or
boilin'

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
>A friend and I were discussing the best way to cook ribs. He swears that
>adding liquid smoke to the water as he boils them gives the best flavor. I
>prefer sprinkling it on after removing them from the water, or adding it to
>the catsup. What are your suggestions, and what is the best brand of
>liquid smoke to use?
>
> Nonny
> --

Nonny, you're really going to get into NG trouble with this suggestion,
particularly
about water contact, but also with liquid smoke.
I'm going to coat the salmon with liquid smoke the next time I make gravlax,
as
suggested by a genuine Norwegian, but that's about as far as I go.
I really enjoy your posts, and hearing your grilling experiences.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:24:45 -0700, Nonnymus
> wrote:

>A friend and I were discussing the best way to cook ribs. He swears
>that adding liquid smoke to the water as he boils them gives the best
>flavor. I prefer sprinkling it on after removing them from the water,
>or adding it to the catsup. What are your suggestions, and what is the
>best brand of liquid smoke to use?
>
>Nonny

You've got the right idea, but the execution is all wrong. If you add
the liquid smoke to the boiling water it's too diluted and won't do
any good. And it's too strong if you just dunk the ribs in it after
they are cooked.

The right way to enhance the flavor of your ribs is with a dry rub,
but that can be improved with some liquid smoke. My favorite is salt,
pepper, and whatever ashes are in the fireplace. Add some liquid smoke
-- not too much -- and you'll have a tasty paste that you can cover
your ribs with. Yum. Save some of the paste to baste the ribs with
toward the end of cooking.

You can distill your own liquid smoke but why go to the trouble? The
store brands are all fine. I figure that if I put in the effort to rig
up a distillery, I'll want something besides liquid smoke coming out
of the pipe.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message

> A friend and I were discussing the best way to cook ribs. He swears
> that adding liquid smoke to the water as he boils them gives the best
> flavor. I prefer sprinkling it on after removing them from the water,
> or adding it to the catsup. What are your suggestions, and what is
> the best brand of liquid smoke to use?
>
> Nonny
> --
> ---Nonnym-ass---
>
> TINSTAAFL
> There Is No Such Thing
> As A Free Lunch

For you, just drink the liquid smoke and forget about the ribs. Suits your
style perfectly.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Radar wrote:

> You can distill your own liquid smoke but why go to the trouble? The
> store brands are all fine. I figure that if I put in the effort to rig
> up a distillery, I'll want something besides liquid smoke coming out
> of the pipe.

Excellent idea and one that I've used before. When I ran out of liquid
smoke once, I chipped a few chunks of creosote out of my chimney. By
placing the chunks in alcohol, I made a very decent homemade version of
liquid smoke, and couldn't tell the difference when I boiled ribs in it.

FWIW, those of you who drink Scotch might also find this a handy tip- a
little piece of chimney creosote added to moonshine gives it the smokey
rememberance of aged Scotch whiskey.

--
---Nonnymus---

TINSTAAFL
There Is No Such Thing
As A Free Lunch
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Just playing around, Steve.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---

TINSTAAFL
There Is No Such Thing
As A Free Lunch
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:
> A friend and I were discussing the best way to cook ribs. He swears
> that adding liquid smoke to the water as he boils them gives the best
> flavor. I prefer sprinkling it on after removing them from the water,
> or adding it to the catsup. What are your suggestions, and what is the
> best brand of liquid smoke to use?
>
> Nonny

MOOSIE?

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message

> Nonnymus wrote:
> > A friend and I were discussing the best way to cook ribs. He swears
> > that adding liquid smoke to the water as he boils them gives the
> > best flavor. I prefer sprinkling it on after removing them from
> > the water, or adding it to the catsup. What are your suggestions,
> > and what is the best brand of liquid smoke to use?
> >
> > Nonny

> MOOSIE?

No. Moosmeat had *much* more...class.

> --
> Steve

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:
> A friend and I were discussing the best way to cook ribs. He swears
> that adding liquid smoke to the water as he boils them gives the best
> flavor. I prefer sprinkling it on after removing them from the water,
> or adding it to the catsup. What are your suggestions, and what is the
> best brand of liquid smoke to use?
>
> Nonny

Either way, but when I boil ribs I make sure that I put some red food
coloring in there. It adds a bit of color to the otherwise lifeless
gray organic material that is cooked just right and falling off the bone.

Hey, doesn't Leprocy cause meat to fall off the bone too?!?!

Do you add sugar to your catsup to get that "just right" carmelized
crust? You can't get that unless you bbq them reeeeally hot.

--

Wally Bedford

"No one has ever had an idea in a dress suit."
Sir Frederick G. Banting

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Wally, I prefer the brown of combined food color, and only use it when
boiling a sirloin or porterhouse. For proper boiling of ribs, a green
colored smoke adds the proper cast to the mix.

As for the catsup crust, since I take the ribs to 320f to get rid of any
parasites, the Hunts catsup crusts up just fine all by itself, or even
when I add in my special secret ingredient of a teaspoon of mustard.

Has anyone tried ribs in the microwave?

Nonny

Wally Bedford wrote:

> Nonnymus wrote:
>> A friend and I were discussing the best way to cook ribs. He swears
>> that adding liquid smoke to the water as he boils them gives the best
>> flavor. I prefer sprinkling it on after removing them from the water,
>> or adding it to the catsup. What are your suggestions, and what is
>> the best brand of liquid smoke to use?
>>
>> Nonny

> Either way, but when I boil ribs I make sure that I put some red food
> coloring in there. It adds a bit of color to the otherwise lifeless
> gray organic material that is cooked just right and falling off the bone.
>
> Hey, doesn't Leprocy cause meat to fall off the bone too?!?!
>
> Do you add sugar to your catsup to get that "just right" carmelized
> crust? You can't get that unless you bbq them reeeeally hot.

--
---Nonnymus---

TINSTAAFL
There Is No Such Thing
As A Free Lunch
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:03:01 -0700, Nonnymus
> wrote:

>Radar wrote:
>

>> You can distill your own liquid smoke but why go to the trouble? The
>> store brands are all fine. I figure that if I put in the effort to rig
>> up a distillery, I'll want something besides liquid smoke coming out
>> of the pipe.

>Excellent idea and one that I've used before. When I ran out of liquid
>smoke once, I chipped a few chunks of creosote out of my chimney. By
>placing the chunks in alcohol, I made a very decent homemade version of
>liquid smoke, and couldn't tell the difference when I boiled ribs in it.
>
>FWIW, those of you who drink Scotch might also find this a handy tip- a
>little piece of chimney creosote added to moonshine gives it the smokey
>rememberance of aged Scotch whiskey.

That is a good method for smoking bacon too. But I have found it a
bit overpowering when I marinated overnight. Perhaps 10 hours . . .

One must be carefull not to put the bacon on the grill until after all
the self starting mixture has burned off the briquettes . . .

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Nonnymus wrote:

> Has anyone tried ribs in the microwave?
>
> Nonny

Two in a row.

Time to check the headers on this one.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BOB wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message

>> MOOSIE?

> No. Moosmeat had *much* more...class.
>> --
>> Steve

> BOB

good point

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Just having a little fun on a dull weekend, Denny.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---

TINSTAAFL
There Is No Such Thing
As A Free Lunch

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 16:12:00 -0700, Nonnymus
> > wrote:
>

>>Just having a little fun on a dull weekend, Denny.

> Yup. I knew that. Seemed like one or two others didn't.
> Hence the sideways reference to tongue in cheek.
> (I found your 'fun' hilarious)

The irony meter bounces off the pin.

It would appear you're no so good at recognizing "tongue
in cheek" yourself.

And yes, posting to the BBQ group about liquid smoke
and boiled ribs is absolutely hilarious. It hardly
ever happens.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:

> And yes, posting to the BBQ group about liquid smoke
> and boiled ribs is absolutely hilarious. It hardly
> ever happens.

Sorry, Reg.

--
---Nonnymus---

TINSTAAFL
There Is No Such Thing
As A Free Lunch
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 20:24:00 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>Denny Wheeler wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 16:12:00 -0700, Nonnymus
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>Just having a little fun on a dull weekend, Denny.

>> Yup. I knew that. Seemed like one or two others didn't.
>> Hence the sideways reference to tongue in cheek.
>> (I found your 'fun' hilarious)

>The irony meter bounces off the pin.
>
>It would appear you're no so good at recognizing "tongue
>in cheek" yourself.
>
>And yes, posting to the BBQ group about liquid smoke
>and boiled ribs is absolutely hilarious. It hardly
>ever happens.

Not since Moosemeat passed on - he was a genuine troll. I had met and
liked him.

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-04-14, Nonnymus > wrote:
> Wally, I prefer the brown of combined food color, and only use it when
> boiling a sirloin or porterhouse. For proper boiling of ribs, a green
> colored smoke adds the proper cast to the mix.

Hmm.. Might have to try that one.. Ever tried boiled hamburgers? Yum!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-04-17, Rick F. > wrote:
> On 2007-04-14, Nonnymus > wrote:
>> Wally, I prefer the brown of combined food color, and only use it when
>> boiling a sirloin or porterhouse. For proper boiling of ribs, a green
>> colored smoke adds the proper cast to the mix.

> Hmm.. Might have to try that one.. Ever tried boiled hamburgers? Yum!

By the way.. I feel obligated to mention that my grandparents on my moms side
used to regularly eat broiled chicken that was plopped with a litle S&P into
a glass baking dish and chucked into the broiler for a while.. My mom told me
that it usually came out like shoe leather and crappy tasting at that.. Eww..
I did BBQ'd chicken last night on my K7 and never had to contend with flames
out of control and my chicken came out great -- all nice-n-juicy with good
'Yaki flavoring throughout..Mmm..

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 20:24:00 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>
> > Denny Wheeler wrote:
> >
> > > On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 16:12:00 -0700, Nonnymus

> > > Yup. I knew that. Seemed like one or two others didn't.
> > > Hence the sideways reference to tongue in cheek.
> > > (I found your 'fun' hilarious)

> > The irony meter bounces off the pin.
> >
> > It would appear you're no so good at recognizing "tongue
> > in cheek" yourself.
> >
> > And yes, posting to the BBQ group about liquid smoke
> > and boiled ribs is absolutely hilarious. It hardly
> > ever happens.

> Not since Moosemeat passed on - he was a genuine troll. I had met and
> liked him.
>
> Harry

Moosmeat was, indeed a troll. But he had it down to an art that will never
be matched.
I only met him in cyberspace. But we did correspond by e-mail a few times.
He *was* a very likable person.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Chicken Livers

The chicken liver post was tongue in cheek about the quantities,
obviously, but I was making a sincere comment about what to do with the
excess of what I cooked. I'm not normally a deep fat fry cooker, so
when I set the fryer up, I tend to overcook beyond what we eat in a
meal. My neighbors and I love fried livers and gizzards, but we
certainly didn't eat all that I had cooked up.

Does anyone have suggestions for other dishes or ways to enjoy leftover
livers?

--
---Nonnymus---
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BOB wrote:
> "Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
>> Not since Moosemeat passed on - he was a genuine troll. I had met and
>> liked him.
>>
>> Harry

> Moosmeat was, indeed a troll. But he had it down to an art that will never
> be matched.
> I only met him in cyberspace. But we did correspond by e-mail a few times.
> He *was* a very likable person.
>
> BOB

Like Bob, I never had the pleasure of meeting Moosie in
person but we did email. He was a piece of work and I would
have enjoyed hefting a few with him.

I still drink a toast to him while cookin' in the back yard.
(and some notable others as well)

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:22:15 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message

>> > The irony meter bounces off the pin.
>> >
>> > It would appear you're no so good at recognizing "tongue
>> > in cheek" yourself.
>> >
>> > And yes, posting to the BBQ group about liquid smoke
>> > and boiled ribs is absolutely hilarious. It hardly
>> > ever happens.

>> Not since Moosemeat passed on - he was a genuine troll. I had met and
>> liked him.
>>
>> Harry

>Moosmeat was, indeed a troll. But he had it down to an art that will never
>be matched.
>I only met him in cyberspace. But we did correspond by e-mail a few times.
>He *was* a very likable person.
>
>BOB

Just as you [and I], *are* Bob ;o)

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:54:56 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

> BOB wrote:
>> "Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
>>> Not since Moosemeat passed on - he was a genuine troll. I had met and
>>> liked him.
>>>
>>> Harry

>> Moosmeat was, indeed a troll. But he had it down to an art that will never
>> be matched.
>> I only met him in cyberspace. But we did correspond by e-mail a few times.
>> He *was* a very likable person.
>>
>> BOB
>>

>Like Bob, I never had the pleasure of meeting Moosie in
>person but we did email. He was a piece of work and I would
>have enjoyed hefting a few with him.
>
>I still drink a toast to him while cookin' in the back yard.
>(and some notable others as well)

His lady was/is known as Ste. Mavis for 'tolerating' him.

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message

> BOB wrote:
> > "Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
> > > Not since Moosemeat passed on - he was a genuine troll. I had
> > > met and liked him.
> > >
> > > Harry

> > Moosmeat was, indeed a troll. But he had it down to an art that
> > will never be matched.
> > I only met him in cyberspace. But we did correspond by e-mail a few
> > times. He *was* a very likable person.
> >
> > BOB
> >

> Like Bob, I never had the pleasure of meeting Moosie in
> person but we did email. He was a piece of work and I would
> have enjoyed hefting a few with him.
>
> I still drink a toast to him while cookin' in the back yard.
> (and some notable others as well)
>
> --
> Steve
> http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com

Moosmeat was a trip.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Harry Demidavicius" wrote

> Just as you [and I], *are* Bob ;o)
>
> Harry

Moi????

BOB

Liquid smoke notbob General Cooking 26 20-10-2015 07:19 PM
Liquid Smoke Experiment # 2 Bread Basket Barbecue 0 07-03-2011 09:46 AM
Liquid smoke experiment Nonnymus[_13_] Barbecue 21 08-08-2010 12:07 AM
liquid smoke, gag Stormmee Barbecue 30 24-08-2009 08:14 PM
hikory liquid smoke WAYNE SCICLUNA Preserving 8 21-11-2003 08:09 PM