Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default On the smoker

I've got 2 butts, 3 spares and a brisket in the smoker. I was hoping the
wind had died down overnight, but it is still a bit breezy. Fortunately, I
set the smoker on the leeward side of the house

--
Chris
http://inanethoughtsandinsaneramblings.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 4, 7:42 am, "swibirun" > wrote:
> I've got 2 butts, 3 spares and a brisket in the smoker.

Chris,
It's the new guy again. About how long will all that take and at
approximately what temp are you smoking.

I did several jerk chickens yesterday in a buddies homemade electric
smoker. Pretty tasty. I'm still trying to get a handle on the bigger
meats like butts and brisket. Thanks.

ST

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"swibirun" wrote
> I've got 2 butts, 3 spares and a brisket in the smoker. I was hoping
> the wind had died down overnight, but it is still a bit breezy.
> Fortunately, I set the smoker on the leeward side of the house

I have about 45 pounds of chicken thighs about ready to come off my Stump's
Smoker in about 45 minutes. I didn't count the pieces, but it was 51.56
pounds before I started trimming. In the future, for any where near this
amount, they will *NOT* be trimmed. Trimming took almost as long as the
cooking!

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Chris,
> It's the new guy again. About how long will all that take and at
> approximately what temp are you smoking.
>
> I did several jerk chickens yesterday in a buddies homemade electric
> smoker. Pretty tasty. I'm still trying to get a handle on the bigger
> meats like butts and brisket. Thanks.
>
> ST

ST,

The butts are 8 lbs so I am figuring about 12 hours for them and the
brisket. The ribs only about 4 hours. For temp, I am keeping it right at
250f by the thermometer mounted at the top of the offset smoker, meaning
it's probably around 235-240f at the level of the grill grate.

I did screw up once this morning and had a 280f spike, but other than that,
I've kept it pretty steady.

Good job on the chicken! I can't wait to hear how your first butt turns
out.

Chris

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in message

> I have about 45 pounds of chicken thighs about ready to come off my
> Stump's Smoker in about 45 minutes. I didn't count the pieces, but it was
> 51.56 pounds before I started trimming. In the future, for any where near
> this amount, they will *NOT* be trimmed. Trimming took almost as long as
> the cooking!
>
> BOB

Bob,
Did you trim it last night or when you got up this morning? What a pain
I only had to pull the membrane off a few ribs, so I can't complain.

Hope the chicken tastes great!
Chris

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"swibirun" > wrote in message

> " BOB" > wrote in message
>
> > I have about 45 pounds of chicken thighs about ready to come off my
> > Stump's Smoker in about 45 minutes. I didn't count the pieces, but
> > it was 51.56 pounds before I started trimming. In the future, for any
> > where near this amount, they will *NOT* be trimmed. Trimming took
> > almost as long as the cooking!
> >
> > BOB

> Bob,
> Did you trim it last night or when you got up this morning? What a

This morning. Trimmed the extra skin and the "oyster". Yep,it was a pain.
Four good, sharp knives made it less work than it could have been.

> pain I only had to pull the membrane off a few ribs, so I can't
> complain.

Pulling membrane can be just as bad if there's a lot to do.

> Hope the chicken tastes great!
> Chris

The two I ate were great. Almost wish that they were for a competition
turn-in. They've been delivered tothe party, and I'm back, ready to finish
the clean-up. The bottom of the Stump's has a lot of chicken fat in it. I
really need to level it, so that the drain will work like it is designed to,

Hope your cook went well and the results were worth the effort.
'-)

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I can't wait to hear how your first butt turns
> out.
>
> Chris

C,

I couldn't find a butt this morn so I decided to pick up a 5-lb pork
loin instead. Not as much fat as a butt, but it should be
interesting. Thanks for the advice.

ST

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4-Mar-2007, "stwr8281" > wrote:

> I can't wait to hear how your first butt turns
> > out.
> >
> > Chris

> C,
>
> I couldn't find a butt this morn so I decided to pick up a
> 5-lb pork
> loin instead. Not as much fat as a butt, but it should be
> interesting. Thanks for the advice.
>
> ST

Watch that pork loin closely. They always surprise me by
how fast they cook. You're not going to pull a loin, so
don't
even think about cooking to BBQ temps. No point in cooking
real slow either. Just roast it and get it out of there.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 4, 2:24 pm, wrote:

> > ST

> Watch that pork loin closely. They always surprise me by
> how fast they cook. You're not going to pull a loin, so
> don't
> even think about cooking to BBQ temps. No point in cooking
> real slow either. Just roast it and get it out of there.
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Brick, good call on the loin. It took about 6 hrs at about 240 -
275. Good 3/8 " smoke ring, tender and juicy. Thanks for the heads
up!

ST

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4-Mar-2007, "stwr8281" > wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2:24 pm, wrote:
>
> > > ST

> > Watch that pork loin closely. They always surprise me by
> > how fast they cook. You're not going to pull a loin, so
> > don't
> > even think about cooking to BBQ temps. No point in
> > cooking
> > real slow either. Just roast it and get it out of there.
> > --
> > Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

> Brick, good call on the loin. It took about 6 hrs at
> about 240 -
> 275. Good 3/8 " smoke ring, tender and juicy. Thanks for
> the heads
> up!
>
> ST

You're welcome. I'm a slow learner and I've overcooked a
few.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 10:27:48 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:

>"swibirun" wrote
>> I've got 2 butts, 3 spares and a brisket in the smoker. I was hoping
>> the wind had died down overnight, but it is still a bit breezy.
>> Fortunately, I set the smoker on the leeward side of the house
>>

>I have about 45 pounds of chicken thighs about ready to come off my Stump's
>Smoker in about 45 minutes. I didn't count the pieces, but it was 51.56
>pounds before I started trimming. In the future, for any where near this
>amount, they will *NOT* be trimmed. Trimming took almost as long as the
>cooking!
>
>BOB

I dunno - that's what I do - buy a bunch and make a project of
trimming, prepping etc and freezing in dinner sized packages. It
really works well for me when I need some & they are 'good to go'.

Harry

It is in the Smoker ChrisGW Barbecue 3 05-11-2007 01:44 AM
Not a new smoker JD[_2_] Barbecue 1 01-08-2007 02:50 AM
I want to buy a smoker!! [email protected] Barbecue 21 28-08-2005 06:02 AM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 1 18-04-2005 02:56 PM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 0 18-04-2005 01:24 AM