Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Which Weber Genesis B?

Sears has the Silver B for $449 and the Platinum Stainless B for $619
on their web site. I don't know if I can jack the prices down further
by taking a printout of the sale page to HD but I'm going to find out.

Here's my question:
My grill sits outdoors on the patio with no roof. I've never covered a
grill and don't expect that I ever will. I'm tempted to spend the
extra $$ for the all stainless Platinum model thinking it will stay
looking/functioning better over the years than the Silver model.

Can anyone advise if the Platinum B SS actually performs any better
than the Silver B?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"geemike" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Sears has the Silver B for $449 and the Platinum Stainless B for $619
> on their web site. I don't know if I can jack the prices down further
> by taking a printout of the sale page to HD but I'm going to find out.
>
> Here's my question:
> My grill sits outdoors on the patio with no roof. I've never covered a
> grill and don't expect that I ever will. I'm tempted to spend the
> extra $$ for the all stainless Platinum model thinking it will stay
> looking/functioning better over the years than the Silver model.
>
> Can anyone advise if the Platinum B SS actually performs any better
> than the Silver B?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Mike, I have a B. I doubt think it performs any better than the SS, maybe
less so. I think the SS has SS grates. SS is a very poor conductor of heat,
worse, actually than the porcelain coated steel grates on the B. All of this
is improved with the cast iron grates. The porcelainized cast iron grates,
for about 55 bucks, makes a lot of difference.
I would strongly buying the $15 cover at H. Dep. It will last a lot longer,
and it will be much easier to clean.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I"m sure for longevity the platinum will be the better choice. That being
said performance wise they should be the same. Re. SS being a poor heat
conductor well..............I have used all sorts of materials and I truly
don't see that much difference. Mostly it has to do with the cook's
performance and the quality of the food. My own Genesis II is going on 14
and sits pretty much outside uncovered. I am just starting to notice a tiny
bit of paint bubbling on the frame but that's it. I did have to redo the
wood slat trays and stuff though.
When I replace or add to the current unit I think I will go with the
Platinum. JUst my .02
"geemike" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Sears has the Silver B for $449 and the Platinum Stainless B for $619
> on their web site. I don't know if I can jack the prices down further
> by taking a printout of the sale page to HD but I'm going to find out.
>
> Here's my question:
> My grill sits outdoors on the patio with no roof. I've never covered a
> grill and don't expect that I ever will. I'm tempted to spend the
> extra $$ for the all stainless Platinum model thinking it will stay
> looking/functioning better over the years than the Silver model.
>
> Can anyone advise if the Platinum B SS actually performs any better
> than the Silver B?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Good advice on the SS grates. Can I buy the cast iron ones? I have a
Genesis, I don't remember which model I think a silver or gold of some
sort, it has SS grates, kinda half moon shaped, I can get the grill to
650-700 degrees, But I would like to get a better 'sear'. Should I buy
the cast iron?

Jerry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

jerryeveretts wrote:
> Good advice on the SS grates. Can I buy the cast iron ones? I have a
> Genesis, I don't remember which model I think a silver or gold of some
> sort, it has SS grates, kinda half moon shaped, I can get the grill to
> 650-700 degrees, But I would like to get a better 'sear'. Should I buy
> the cast iron?
>
> Jerry

I've had a Silver B for 8 years. I live in upstate New York and believe
me, we get our share of bad weather. The grill has sat outside since I
bought it, uncovered. I use it year round. It still looks and works as
new. I did throw those POS cast iron grates out though and bought
porclean covered CI grates at Home Depot.

My WSM sits out right beside it. I do cover that though because if I
don't it has a tendency to flood when it rains. ;-)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> Mike, I have a B. I doubt think it performs any better than the SS, maybe
> less so. I think the SS has SS grates. SS is a very poor conductor of heat,
> worse, actually than the porcelain coated steel grates on the B. All of this
> is improved with the cast iron grates. The porcelainized cast iron grates,
> for about 55 bucks, makes a lot of difference.
> I would strongly buying the $15 cover at H. Dep. It will last a lot longer,
> and it will be much easier to clean.

I've heard good things about the porcelain grates from a few
other sources. I'll pick some up next time I'm at Home Depot.
Thanks for the tip.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Bought the "C" model from HD for $450

after the price match and 10%.
I never once used the side burner on my current crappo grill, but this
one looks pretty decent and I do fantasize about sauteing some
Portabellas while the steaks are cooking so what's an extra $50.
HD doesn't carry the Platinum so I had no chance to look at it.

This is the first decent grill I've ever owned in my life. Can't wait
to try it on a brisket tomorrow.

Thank you everyone for the responses.

Mike

geemike wrote:
> Sears has the Silver B for $449 and the Platinum Stainless B for $619
> on their web site. I don't know if I can jack the prices down further
> by taking a printout of the sale page to HD but I'm going to find out.
>
> Here's my question:
> My grill sits outdoors on the patio with no roof. I've never covered a
> grill and don't expect that I ever will. I'm tempted to spend the
> extra $$ for the all stainless Platinum model thinking it will stay
> looking/functioning better over the years than the Silver model.
>
> Can anyone advise if the Platinum B SS actually performs any better
> than the Silver B?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
t...

>>> I've heard good things about the porcelain grates from a few

other sources. I'll pick some up next time I'm at Home Depot.<<<

Don't know if the grates are considered as "accessories" but HD has all
their grill accessories 25% off right now. I did notice that the rotisserie
was included in the sale.
I'm trying to decide if I would use a rotisserie enough to warrant the
price. I guess it would be good for chicken pieces but I mostly do steaks,
ribs and briskets. I have intended to try the beer/pop can chicken, sounds
great. I'm thinking that lime flavored pop might be a good item to try. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Rob Mills wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
> t...

> other sources. I'll pick some up next time I'm at Home Depot.<<<

More good info. Thanks.

> Don't know if the grates are considered as "accessories" but HD has all
> their grill accessories 25% off right now. I did notice that the rotisserie
> was included in the sale.
> I'm trying to decide if I would use a rotisserie enough to warrant the
> price. I guess it would be good for chicken pieces but I mostly do steaks,
> ribs and briskets. I have intended to try the beer/pop can chicken, sounds
> great. I'm thinking that lime flavored pop might be a good item to try. RM~

That's an easy question, get one. I love the rot, and I use
it all the time. Self basting food... it's a great thing. I
think it cost $70 or so. Not too bad for a useful accessory.

I like to do whole birds, stuffed a variety of things depending
on the mood. Fresh herbs, onion, and citrus go well. It will
heat up, mix with the natural fat, and then liberally coat
the outside, all on auto-pilot, so I can get other prep work
done while it's cooking away. The thing was practically made
for parties.

Roll, stuff and tie pork, veal, and lamb roasts. Again, whatever
you put inside will usually end up on the outside if you
do it right. I use Ricky's suggestion of coating a stick of
butter with onion and herbs and rolling it inside the meat.
Butter has a low melting point so the self-basting starts
early in the cooking process, and it carries all the other
flavors with it.

<http://www.fawnridge.com/ricky/lamb.txt>

Finally, the rot just looks good. It's festive, evocative of
olden days where large hunks of meat rotated over fire
pits. Having one slowly spinning and sizzling over in the
corner of the patio makes for a nice feeling at a backyard
party.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Rob Mills wrote:

> I just got back from a tour of two HD's. One had a sign up in the department
> "25% off on all grill accessories" and the other one just had certain items
> discounted 25%. So it must be a store to store option.
> I picked up a thermometer for my 20+ yr old plate steel Brinkman Smoke'n Pit
> for $15. They had been about $25. RM~
>
> PS, I left the rotisserie there. I had one for an old Char Broil and don't
> think I ever used it.

Congrats on the score but I think the Weber Therms. are
about ten bucks normally. At least the ones I put in my WSM
were.

As for the rotisserie, man, I use mine frequently on the
Silver B. To each their own I guess.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
t...
> Kent wrote:
>

>> Mike, I have a B. I doubt think it performs any better than the SS, maybe
>> less so. I think the SS has SS grates. SS is a very poor conductor of
>> heat, worse, actually than the porcelain coated steel grates on the B.
>> All of this is improved with the cast iron grates. The porcelainized cast
>> iron grates, for about 55 bucks, makes a lot of difference.
>> I would strongly buying the $15 cover at H. Dep. It will last a lot
>> longer, and it will be much easier to clean.

> I've heard good things about the porcelain grates from a few
> other sources. I'll pick some up next time I'm at Home Depot.
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> --
> Reg

When you get and use it, put the flat face of the grate facing upward. The
cast iron grate will get to the same or slightly higher heat, but it holds
the heat. A steak will sear much better than with a steel grate. Because
it's flat, it's much better for flaky fish and other things that are
difficult to grill on a standard grate. Because it's porcelainized it's much
easier to deal with than old fashioned seasoned cast iron.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Rob Mills" > wrote in message

> "Reg" > wrote in message
> t...

> other sources. I'll pick some up next time I'm at Home Depot.<<<
>
> Don't know if the grates are considered as "accessories" but HD has all
> their grill accessories 25% off right now. I did notice that the
> rotisserie
> was included in the sale.
> I'm trying to decide if I would use a rotisserie enough to warrant the
> price. I guess it would be good for chicken pieces but I mostly do steaks,
> ribs and briskets. I have intended to try the beer/pop can chicken, sounds
> great. I'm thinking that lime flavored pop might be a good item to try.
> RM~

We like beer can chicken. However we put the "canned chicken" on the bottom
grate of the Weber 22" and use charcoal baskets on either side. More heat
comes laterally, and everything works better. You don't have to turn in the
usual fshion, or use a rot.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message

>> I think the Weber Therms. are about ten bucks normally.<<<

That's probably the small one. They had those on sale for $7. The one I got
(Brinkman) normally goes for $24.95 and has a 3 in dia face and mounts in a
13/16 hole. Nice big numbers this old geezer can read without getting so
close that I burn my face. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> We like beer can chicken. However<<<<

Yeah, I can see all kinds of possibilities. I'm going to play with it on my
silver b and the old brinkman smoker also. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message

>>> As for the rotisserie, man, <<<

Guess I should also mention that it's sort of on my mind to maybe modify the
old (prob 15 yr) char broil rotisserie that's never been used. Its a pretty
rugged unit and has a nice basket with it also. It's been packed away since
a move 5 years ago so haven't seen it lately but I'm thinking it should be a
piece of cake to mount it on the silver b. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Rob Mills wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>
>>> I think the Weber Therms. are about ten bucks normally.<<<

> That's probably the small one. They had those on sale for $7. The one I got
> (Brinkman) normally goes for $24.95 and has a 3 in dia face and mounts in a
> 13/16 hole. Nice big numbers this old geezer can read without getting so
> close that I burn my face. RM~

no, I thought about it this morning. I was thinking of the
ones that you need to drill a 3/8" hole and they mount on a
unit with a nut. Brain fart - please disregard. ;-)

--
Steve