Paul

Default Weber Genesis Gas Grills

Before I grill I always turn it up on high for about 10 minutes
to burn off the old grease. Every once in a while though, the
grill flares up inside and keep going even when I cut off the gas.
Needless to say I put the grill further away from the house.

Is this just common to Webers? My old cheapy grill never did this.
jmcquown

Paul wrote:
> Before I grill I always turn it up on high for about 10 minutes
> to burn off the old grease. Every once in a while though, the
> grill flares up inside and keep going even when I cut off the gas.
> Needless to say I put the grill further away from the house.
>
> Is this just common to Webers? My old cheapy grill never did this.

I don't have a gas Weber but I do have a suggestion. Try washing the grill
rack.

Jill

jmcquown

Paul wrote:
> Before I grill I always turn it up on high for about 10 minutes
> to burn off the old grease. Every once in a while though, the
> grill flares up inside and keep going even when I cut off the gas.
> Needless to say I put the grill further away from the house.
>
> Is this just common to Webers? My old cheapy grill never did this.

I don't have a gas Weber but I do have a suggestion. Try washing the grill
rack.

Jill

PENMART01

>(Paul)
>
>Before I grill I always turn it up on high for about 10 minutes
>to burn off the old grease. Every once in a while though, the
>grill flares up inside and keep going even when I cut off the gas.

Obvioiusly you're not burning off the grease well enough... but why not just
clean the grill as specified in the owner's manual. Cleaning frequency is
obviously dependant on what and how you cook. It should take no more than 15
minutes to clean the Weber Genesis, I clean mine 3 times each year... only
thing you need is a two inch putty knife.

>Needless to say I put the grill further away from the house.

All outdoor grills should be placed at least 10 feet from the house and other
combustibles... and never use a grill on a wood deck.

>Is this just common to Webers? My old cheapy grill never did this.

The cheapy grills use lava rocks to suck up the grease, those too will flare if
the rocks are not replaced frequently enough.
The cheapy grills usually don't last long enough to accumulate grease for flare
ups.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Default User

Paul wrote:

> Before I grill I always turn it up on high for about 10 minutes
> to burn off the old grease. Every once in a while though, the
> grill flares up inside and keep going even when I cut off the gas.
> Needless to say I put the grill further away from the house.

Sounds like you have grease on the inside that's catching fire.

Brian

Dave Smith

Paul wrote:

> Before I grill I always turn it up on high for about 10 minutes
> to burn off the old grease. Every once in a while though, the
> grill flares up inside and keep going even when I cut off the gas.
> Needless to say I put the grill further away from the house.
>
> Is this just common to Webers? My old cheapy grill never did this.

My gas BBQ does it too. It's the grease burning off. You probably
notice it more when you have cooked something especially greasy. The
alternative is to leave it and have it flare up the next time you use
it.

PENMART01

>yetanotherBob@ZZgmail

says:

>> Before I grill I always turn it up on high for about 10 minutes
>> to burn off the old grease. Every once in a while though, the
>> grill flares up inside

>You've got to scrape down the funnel-shaped aluminum drip catcher drawer
>under the "flavorizer bars" every so often, depending on what and how
>you cook.

Hmm, since when did Weber change to Aluminum... the bottom clean out drawer of
my 8 year old Genesis is porcelainized steel.... just pull it out ever so often
and give her bottom the old scrape-a-rooni with my puddy knife.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
yetanotherBob

In article >, penmart01
@aol.como says...
> >yetanotherBob@ZZgmail
> >
> says:
> >>
> >> Before I grill I always turn it up on high for about 10 minutes
> >> to burn off the old grease. Every once in a while though, the
> >> grill flares up inside

> >You've got to scrape down the funnel-shaped aluminum drip catcher drawer
> >under the "flavorizer bars" every so often, depending on what and how
> >you cook.

> Hmm, since when did Weber change to Aluminum... the bottom clean out drawer of
> my 8 year old Genesis is porcelainized steel.... just pull it out ever so often
> and give her bottom the old scrape-a-rooni with my puddy knife.

Not sure when the switch took place, or whether some models have or had
one material vs. the other, but the 3 or 4-year old bottom-of-the line
Genesis Silver A models wear aluminum drawers. But it probably doesn't
make much difference; bottom line is that folks have got to scrape their
drawers every so often, or risk potentially serious conflagrations.
--
Bob
(remove ZZ to email)