Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Weber Genesis B Silver-Our New Toy

Wow. I think we scored big. A brand new Weber Genesis B Silver (although
I understand that they are discontinued) for $398.00. 3 Stainless Steel
burners, 36K BTU. I like the bottom cabinet which hides the tank from
view. Nice compact drop down shelf in front of fixed shelf. And it fits
perfectly on the porch. The lack of a side burner is a plus, as we
rarely to never used our previous grill side burner.
He went out with to buy the newer Weber Spirit E-310 which runs nearer
to $499.00 but came home with this. Apparently Walmart had it in stock.
I hate Walmart, and wouldn't have looked there but he did...and scored.
At least it is an American made grill.
Husband is reading the manual (wuss, lol) now.
Let the grilling games begin!
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 May 2007 17:36:23 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Let the grilling games begin!
>Goomba

So, are you grilling tonight? If so, what are you grilling? Or if not
tonight, what's the first thing you are going to grill on it?

We want pictures too.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> So, are you grilling tonight? If so, what are you grilling? Or if
> not tonight, what's the first thing you are going to grill on it?

With new equipment, I'd cook some stuff
just to drive out chemicals in the
painted surfaces and season the grill.
Like cheap pork sausages, which would
then be tossed out or fed to the dog
(if I had a dog -- there was a coyote
howling nearby last night, but I don't
lay claim to it).

And if one batch didn't clear out any
chemical smells, I do it again and
again until they're gone.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Mon, 28 May 2007 17:36:23 -0400, Goomba38 >
> wrote:
>

>> Let the grilling games begin!
>> Goomba

> So, are you grilling tonight? If so, what are you grilling? Or if not
> tonight, what's the first thing you are going to grill on it?
>
> We want pictures too.
>
> Christine

LOL, no I'm not! (Or I should say he's not!) He's in charge of grilling
in this house. Of course with this new beast so simple to use I might
use it on my own more often??
I had already started a huge pot of tomato sauce and we're having
macaroni tonight. He was craving it earlier than his shopping trip. But
we have four thick rib eyes that we're anticipating grilling tomorrow
night.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote in
6.121:

> Whatcha' makin'? I have a mental image of you and the hubster with
> white hats and aprons looking over the grill. Like a surgical team
>
> Michael

Does it come Assembled?

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Wow. I think we scored big. A brand new Weber Genesis B Silver (although
> I understand that they are discontinued) for $398.00. 3 Stainless Steel
> burners, 36K BTU. I like the bottom cabinet which hides the tank from
> view. Nice compact drop down shelf in front of fixed shelf. And it fits
> perfectly on the porch.

An outdoor grill on the porch??? Almost guaranteed you will burn your
house down. Put that thing on the ground, a minimum of 15 feet from
your house and from any other combustable material. This is not a
joke.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> An outdoor grill on the porch??? Almost guaranteed you will burn your
> house down. Put that thing on the ground, a minimum of 15 feet from
> your house and from any other combustable material. This is not a
> joke.
>
> Sheldon

But why is it any different than sitting on the deck? The only thing
that encloses it is the roof (high up at that) and floor to ceiling
screen. It gets plenty of ventilation, so it isn't'that... so seriously
I don't understand..?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > An outdoor grill on the porch??? Almost guaranteed you will
> > burn your house down. Put that thing on the ground, a minimum of
> > 15 feet from your house and from any other combustable material.
> > This is not a joke.

> But why is it any different than sitting on the deck? The only
> thing that encloses it is the roof (high up at that) and floor to
> ceiling screen. It gets plenty of ventilation, so it isn't'that...
> so seriously I don't understand..?

On the one hand, I agree with Sheldon that safety
is really important, and that few people pay enough
attention to that.

On the other hand, I'm not worried about you.
You seem to be intelligent enough not to make
the stupid mistakes which typically result in
death. I've done much chancier things, but
always with my eyes wide open. If I left a
hot BBQ unattended, I would always hose down
the whole area (20 feet diameter, more for
ignitable substances) with copious water.
I would even hose down a gravel driveway,
if it was within the diameter. Even those
precautions would keep my safety nerves
on edge.

Nobody has mentioned carbon monoxide poisoning.
Once one makes an appropriate sacrifice to the
fire safety gods, the most common critical
omission is attending to the carbon monoxide
hazard. A friend of mine came close to killing
himself and his whole family because of that.

If rising hot combustion gases could be caught
by a roof gable and passed into an open window,
I would worry about that. Of course, if you
have a carbon monoxide warning detector, then
there should be no problem. Mine indicates
the ambient CO level before it sounds an alarm,
so I can monitor the situation quite well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 9:50�pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > An outdoor grill on the porch??? *Almost guaranteed you will burn your
> > house down. *Put that thing on the ground, a minimum of 15 feet from
> > your house and from any other combustable material. *This is not a
> > joke.

> > Sheldon

> But why is it any different than sitting on the deck? The only thing
> that encloses it is the roof (high up at that) and floor to ceiling
> screen. It gets plenty of ventilation, so it isn't'that... so seriously
> I don't understand..?

What's not to understand? No grill should ever be used on a deck,
porch, or anything that can burn. Grills go on the ground or masonary
patio.... and placed a minimum of 15 feet from the house or any
combustible material, not near a shed, fence, not even a tree.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...07/ai_n9276767

http://www.naplesfire.com/documents/...rill_Fires.pdf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 May 2007 21:50:28 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>
>> An outdoor grill on the porch??? Almost guaranteed you will burn your
>> house down. Put that thing on the ground, a minimum of 15 feet from
>> your house and from any other combustable material. This is not a
>> joke.
>>
>> Sheldon

>But why is it any different than sitting on the deck? The only thing
>that encloses it is the roof (high up at that) and floor to ceiling
>screen. It gets plenty of ventilation, so it isn't'that... so seriously
>I don't understand..?

I think a photo of the area in question would be appropriate in order
to make a valued judgment.

I also think the food in question, and any condiments used should be
included.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Koko
---
Moving from
http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message

> But why is it any different than sitting on the deck? The only thing that
> encloses it is the roof (high up at that) and floor to ceiling screen. It
> gets plenty of ventilation, so it isn't'that... so seriously I don't
> understand..?

In another newsgroup the question came up. 36% of all structure fires are
cooking related. Here is some information about grill fires
http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/tfrs/v2i3-508.pdf

While Sheldon is correct, I still have my grill on the deck, but it is 15'
away from the house and there is no overhang above it.
There are 6500 fires a year.
Nearly a third of residential grill fires start on a court, terrace, or
patio (Figure 4). Lawns and other nearby open areas account for an
additional 27% of fire locations, and exterior balconies or open porches
account for 21%. Some areas where residential grill fires start
(specifically balconies or porches of apartments or condominiums) violate
fire codes in many jurisdictions.

A gas grill fire broke out on June 14, 1998, in Buffalo, New York. The fire
injured three people and two firefighters and caused nearly $1 million
damage to a nearby apartment building and its contents, leaving eight
families homeless. An improperly threaded connection on a propane gas tank
located on a wooden deck of an outdoor grill sparked the fire.7

If you have a bad flare up on the grill, it is far more likely to do damage
if it is next to your house, or under a roof of some sort. No way would I
use a grill in a screened area.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
>> Wow. I think we scored big. A brand new Weber Genesis B Silver
>> (although I understand that they are discontinued) for $398.00. 3
>> Stainless Steel burners, 36K BTU. I like the bottom cabinet which
>> hides the tank from view. Nice compact drop down shelf in front of
>> fixed shelf. And it fits perfectly on the porch.

> An outdoor grill on the porch??? Almost guaranteed you will burn your
> house down. Put that thing on the ground, a minimum of 15 feet from
> your house and from any other combustable material. This is not a
> joke.
>
> Sheldon

I'd have to go with Sheldon on this one. We have a concrete block house and
concrete blocks for a "lanai" (if you can even call it that) and my husband
still drags grills and smokers away to the farthest corner when he's using
them.

We don't have a gas grill; all of ours are wood-based, but ashes can still
fly and they do. I've finally gotten my husband to listen about not wearing
shoes when he's grilling after he's stepped on enough hot coals. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 8:20�am, "kilikini" > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Goomba38 *wrote:
> >> Wow. I think we scored big. A brand new Weber Genesis B Silver
> >> (although I understand that they are discontinued) for $398.00. 3
> >> Stainless Steel burners, 36K BTU. I like the bottom cabinet which
> >> hides the tank from view. Nice compact drop down shelf in front of
> >> fixed shelf. And it fits perfectly on the porch.

> > An outdoor grill on the porch??? *Almost guaranteed you will burn your
> > house down. *Put that thing on the ground, a minimum of 15 feet from
> > your house and from any other combustable material. *This is not a
> > joke.

> > Sheldon

> I'd have to go with Sheldon on this one. *We have a concrete block house and
> concrete blocks for a "lanai" (if you can even call it that) and my husband
> still drags grills and smokers away to the farthest corner when he's using
> them.
>
> We don't have a gas grill; all of ours are wood-based, but ashes can still
> fly and they do. *I've finally gotten my husband to listen about not wearing
> shoes when he's grilling after he's stepped on enough hot coals. *:~)

Not only do folks have stupid safety habits (it'll never happen to me
attitude) often they are against the law. When your house does burn
down due to subborn stupidity (and eventually it will) and upon
investigation it is discovered that you didn't comply with the
municipal ordinances you will not be able to collect damages under
your insurance policy... and just about every municipality within the
US has ordinances pertaining to use of outdoor grills... your local
fire department will be happy to supply you with a copy.
Unfortunately fire marshalls are notoriously remiss in enforcing
codes... really don't need a fire marshall to come around *after* the
fact... contrary to popular belief fire departments are NOT in the
business of fire _prevention_... as Smokey the Bear says "Only YOU can
prevent a fire!"

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/tfrs/v2i3-508.pdf

Wood decks are highly flammable, even more so with cooking grease
spatter soaking into the wood. Everyone who grills will have flare
ups, adn everyone who grills will occasionally leave the grill
unattended, no exception... only takes as few drops of flaming grease
to dribble out the bottom of a grill to ignite a deck... and I've yet
to see anyone with fire extinguisher near their grill, not even once,
except me. Fire will engulf a wood deck like it was a christmas tree,
within three minutes the entire deck will be ablaze, that will ignite
the house and its intense heat will cause a raging inferno. Every
year people die from grills on decks.

My grill is on the ground. Yes, it's a small chore to decend the four
steps of my deck down to the ground and the six paces away from my
house to the grill, but the worst that will happen if I did leave my
grill unattended is incinerated food.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
>>
>> But why is it any different than sitting on the deck? The only thing
>> that encloses it is the roof (high up at that) and floor to ceiling
>> screen. It gets plenty of ventilation, so it isn't'that... so
>> seriously I don't understand..?

> In another newsgroup the question came up. 36% of all structure
> fires are cooking related. Here is some information about grill fires
> http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/tfrs/v2i3-508.pdf
>
> While Sheldon is correct, I still have my grill on the deck, but it
> is 15' away from the house and there is no overhang above it.

(snippage)
> If you have a bad flare up on the grill, it is far more likely to do
> damage if it is next to your house, or under a roof of some sort. No
> way would I use a grill in a screened area.

In my last apartment I lived upstairs and my balcony was wooden (eek!). The
man who lived downstairs had a small fenced patio, about 8X10 sq. feet. He
appeared to have primary custody of 4 children, the oldest of which was a
boy about 14 or 15 years old. Apparently his father had told him to get
dinner going before he got home. The boy lit the (charcoal) grill and threw
some chicken on it, then went inside to play Nintendo or whatever it was he
did. Had I not been sitting on the balcony I would never have noticed the
flames shooting up (a good 4-6 feet! what the HELL did he use to light that
grill?!). The entire building could have been engaged in no time.

I ran downstairs, beat on the door and yelled your grill is on fire! The
kid got buckets of water (heh, no fire extinquisher in the place, DOH!) to
douse the flames. (That was one stupid father, by the way. He was an
appliance painter and kept paint and other flammable items on his patio
within feet of the grill.)

The ordinances in my area state grills must be at least 15 feet from the
building, regardless of the type of dwelling, and not placed on a wooden
surface or in an enclosed area. I frequently saw a number of more
intelligent people dragging their grills out onto the walkway, well away
from the buildings, if they wanted to cook out.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> Wow. I think we scored big. A brand new Weber Genesis B Silver (although
> I understand that they are discontinued) for $398.00. 3 Stainless Steel
> burners, 36K BTU. I like the bottom cabinet which hides the tank from
> view. Nice compact drop down shelf in front of fixed shelf. And it fits
> perfectly on the porch. The lack of a side burner is a plus, as we
> rarely to never used our previous grill side burner.
> He went out with to buy the newer Weber Spirit E-310 which runs nearer
> to $499.00 but came home with this. Apparently Walmart had it in stock.
> I hate Walmart, and wouldn't have looked there but he did...and scored.
> At least it is an American made grill.
> Husband is reading the manual (wuss, lol) now.
> Let the grilling games begin!
> Goomba

Enjoy your Weber Genesis Grill. I bought one at Home Depot a few weeks
ago and I have no complaints.

Becca