Aaron

Default Weber Genesis vs Summit?

Hi gang,

We're currently shopping for a new grill and we've decided on the Webers.
I've gotten a Home Depot 10% off coupon and could get the Genesis Silver B
for $399 minus 10%. I've also managed to find the Summit Silver B for $599.
I really like the look of the Summit and the side burner would be a plus,
but not a necessity. The thing I've managed to read on the Summit is that
it has SS plates, while the Genesis would have the cast iron.

I guess what I'm asking is, do you think the Summit is worth the additional
$200+? I don't mind spending the extra money on a nice grill, but I wanted
to make sure I'm getting something (hopefully other than looks with the
Summit).

Thanks!
Aaron

Kent

Hi:
The Genesis Silver B for $399 at Home Depot with Cast Iron Grates is a good
deal, particularly if the offer includes assembly and delivery.
However, my iron grates have been sitting in plastic wrap for the last two
years. I have been using the porcelainized steel grates and can't quit
becauses I don't want to take care of cast iron. Given the low heat output
of the genesis, I don't think there is much difference in what happens
above. I don't know if there is much advance with the SS grate. Of all SS is
the poorest conductor of heat.
I don't think you would use the side burner in the Summit; I wouldn't get
it.
I would buy a Weber as opposed to other brands, if that's an issue.
Good Luck, and Happy Turkey Day.

jdoe

With the Summit you have some other features. Re. the SS grates you can have
them on the Genesis also. As for the Summit you get a slightly larger grill,
the option of the side burner and a seperate smoker burner, a cabinet and
more heat output. You're not saying which Summit you're looking at (silver
or gold) but with the silver you'll have 4 cooking burners and an optional
smke box burner, and with the gold you'll have 6 burners and the option of
the 7th smoke burner.
I don't think you'll go wrong no matter what you choose.
Larry
"Aaron" > wrote in message
.. .
> Hi gang,
>
> We're currently shopping for a new grill and we've decided on the Webers.
> I've gotten a Home Depot 10% off coupon and could get the Genesis Silver B
> for $399 minus 10%. I've also managed to find the Summit Silver B for
> $599.
> I really like the look of the Summit and the side burner would be a plus,
> but not a necessity. The thing I've managed to read on the Summit is that
> it has SS plates, while the Genesis would have the cast iron.
>
> I guess what I'm asking is, do you think the Summit is worth the
> additional
> $200+? I don't mind spending the extra money on a nice grill, but I
> wanted
> to make sure I'm getting something (hopefully other than looks with the
> Summit).
>
> Thanks!
> Aaron

Steve S

Don't worry about maintenance on the cast iron grates.

Check to be sure, but the new Weber's (Silver B) at HD have the porcelain
coated cast iron grates.

They require no more maintenance than the SS or stamped steel grates and
hold the heat very well.
Great grill marks!

Steve

inmate 2339117

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:39:24 -0500, Steve S wrote:

> Don't worry about maintenance on the cast iron grates.
>
> Check to be sure, but the new Weber's (Silver B) at HD have the porcelain
> coated cast iron grates.
>
> They require no more maintenance than the SS or stamped steel grates and
> hold the heat very well.
> Great grill marks!
>
> Steve

As a Weber owner myself, I agree you won't go wrong with either one. Both
sound like a pretty good deal. I've never looked backed after buying my
genesis with cast iron grates. It took me several tries to get them
seasoned enough where they no longer rust - but they do work great.

Steve Calvin

inmate 2339117 wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:39:24 -0500, Steve S wrote:
>

>>Don't worry about maintenance on the cast iron grates.
>>
>>Check to be sure, but the new Weber's (Silver B) at HD have the porcelain
>>coated cast iron grates.
>>
>>They require no more maintenance than the SS or stamped steel grates and
>>hold the heat very well.
>>Great grill marks!
>>
>>Steve

> As a Weber owner myself, I agree you won't go wrong with either one. Both
> sound like a pretty good deal. I've never looked backed after buying my
> genesis with cast iron grates. It took me several tries to get them
> seasoned enough where they no longer rust - but they do work great.

I had the CI grates on my Genesis B and could not get them seasoned to
the point where they wouldn't rust here in the Northeast U.S. I
finally gave up, tossed 'em and got the porcelain ones. No problems
ever since and that's been 6 years ago.

--
Steve

Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there... I'm gonna
eat the next thing that comes outta it's ass?"