Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Teflon coating

I am new to this group, I would like to ask advice from experienced
chefs. I have read recently that the teflon coating (non-stick coating)
on frypans gives off a harmful gas when the pan is on a high heat, and
therefore can be dangerous. Has anyone got an opinion? Thankyou.

Posted to rec.food.baking

juliar wrote:
> I am new to this group, I would like to ask advice from experienced
> chefs. I have read recently that the teflon coating (non-stick coating)
> on frypans gives off a harmful gas when the pan is on a high heat, and
> therefore can be dangerous. Has anyone got an opinion? Thankyou.

Yes, if you have avian ancestry. Otherwise you have to get the pan much
hotter than any rational person would. So don't wander off and leave
your non-stick pan on the burner.

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:13:05 -0600
Del Cecchi > wrote:

> juliar wrote:
> > I am new to this group, I would like to ask advice from experienced
> > chefs. I have read recently that the teflon coating (non-stick coating)
> > on frypans gives off a harmful gas when the pan is on a high heat, and
> > therefore can be dangerous. Has anyone got an opinion? Thankyou.
> >

> Yes, if you have avian ancestry. Otherwise you have to get the pan much
> hotter than any rational person would. So don't wander off and leave
> your non-stick pan on the burner.

Also don't use it for high-heat jobs. There's no reason to, anyway.

The teflon can help depending on what you're trying to sautee or sweat
or simmer, great for stuff like eggs (if you can't care for cast iron at
least), but it works against you if you're trying to put a good sear on a
piece of meat.

All that stuff that sticks to the pan is working in your favor if you
know what to do with it.
Posted to rec.food.baking

Thank you very much for your replies - it is what I thought. Juliar

Chicken Coating M.J.P General Cooking 12 17-11-2004 08:00 PM
Press Varnish/Coating Don S Winemaking 27 13-09-2004 05:40 PM
teflon coating-can I remove it? elaine General Cooking 23 09-04-2004 03:50 PM
best confectioners coating Chocolate 0 14-02-2004 02:39 AM
Coating in Le Creuset pots Dee Randall Cooking Equipment 28 20-12-2003 10:15 AM