JMF

Default Substitutions for corn syrup and buttermilk?

I'm in Italy where they don't really have corn syrup and buttermilk. Both
are used a lot in American baking recipes and I'd like to find substitutes
that can be found here. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

stiko

Try glucose instead of corn syrup they are interchangeable and should be
available there. Also Lyle's Golden Syrup can be used for a more "caramel"
flavour.

A substitute for buttermilk I spotted in "Joy of Cooking" is:

1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup yoghurt (I would think the 1.5 - 2 % fat one, since
buttermilk is a low-fat dairy product ) Buttermilk is quite runny so
choose a yoghurt with a similar texture avoiding thick greek style yoghurt.

Hope that helps

Ï "JMF" > Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
> I'm in Italy where they don't really have corn syrup and buttermilk. Both
> are used a lot in American baking recipes and I'd like to find substitutes
> that can be found here. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

JMF

Thanks, Stiko. In fact glucose is indeed available here I'll give it a try.

John

"stiko" > wrote in message
> Try glucose instead of corn syrup they are interchangeable and should be
> available there. Also Lyle's Golden Syrup can be used for a more "caramel"
> flavour.
>
> A substitute for buttermilk I spotted in "Joy of Cooking" is:
>
> 1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup yoghurt (I would think the 1.5 - 2 % fat one,

since
> buttermilk is a low-fat dairy product ) Buttermilk is quite runny so
> choose a yoghurt with a similar texture avoiding thick greek style

yoghurt.

> Hope that helps
>

> Ï "JMF" > Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
> > I'm in Italy where they don't really have corn syrup and buttermilk.

Both
> > are used a lot in American baking recipes and I'd like to find

substitutes
> > that can be found here. Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > John

Vox Humana

"JMF" > wrote in message
> Thanks, Stiko. In fact glucose is indeed available here I'll give it a

try.

Glucose has about 20% less water than corn syrup. Depending on the
circumstances, you may need to adjust the recipe. You can also use instant
dry buttermilk powder instead of the sour milk. I don't know if anyone will
ship to Italy, but here is a link
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle

Jude

You can add 1 t of vinegar to 1 c sweet milk (this will cause it to
curdle, don't worry about that, it's what you want!) and use it as a
sub for buttermilk.

JMF

Thanks, Jude. That definitely is a possibility here. I'll go for it.

John

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> You can add 1 t of vinegar to 1 c sweet milk (this will cause it to
> curdle, don't worry about that, it's what you want!) and use it as a
> sub for buttermilk.

Bonzy

JMF, please, tell me where in Italy I can ask for glucose, in supermarket
or...? In farmacy I didn´t find (in Triestte)...Thanks
"JMF" > wrote in message
> Thanks, Jude. That definitely is a possibility here. I'll go for it.
>
> John
>
> "Jude" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > You can add 1 t of vinegar to 1 c sweet milk (this will cause it to
> > curdle, don't worry about that, it's what you want!) and use it as a
> > sub for buttermilk.

chembake

>JMF, please, tell me where in Italy I can ask for glucose, in supermarket
>or...? In farmacy I didn=B4t find (in Triestte)...

Try asking the storekeeper of groceries and food stores for
GLUCOSIO....they should know it as its Italian<grin>.

stiko

Hi

Try the baking section in the supermarket (flour, yeast etc). It should be
there...I'd think

Ï "Bonzy" > Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá