FoodBanter.com

-   -   Substitutions for corn syrup and buttermilk? (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/69636-substitutions-corn-syrup-buttermilk.html)

JMF 11-09-2005 06:25 PM

Substitutions for corn syrup and buttermilk?

I'm in Italy where they don't really have corn syrup and buttermilk. Both
are used a lot in American baking recipes and I'd like to find substitutes
that can be found here. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

stiko 11-09-2005 08:46 PM

Try glucose instead of corn syrup they are interchangeable and should be
available there. Also Lyle's Golden Syrup can be used for a more "caramel"
flavour.

A substitute for buttermilk I spotted in "Joy of Cooking" is:

1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup yoghurt (I would think the 1.5 - 2 % fat one, since
buttermilk is a low-fat dairy product ) Buttermilk is quite runny so
choose a yoghurt with a similar texture avoiding thick greek style yoghurt.

Hope that helps

"JMF"

Vox Humana 11-09-2005 11:01 PM

"JMF" wrote in message
Thanks, Stiko. In fact glucose is indeed available here I'll give it a

try.

Glucose has about 20% less water than corn syrup. Depending on the
circumstances, you may need to adjust the recipe. You can also use instant
dry buttermilk powder instead of the sour milk. I don't know if anyone will
ship to Italy, but here is a link
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle

Jude 12-09-2005 11:11 PM

You can add 1 t of vinegar to 1 c sweet milk (this will cause it to
curdle, don't worry about that, it's what you want!) and use it as a
sub for buttermilk.

JMF 13-09-2005 02:46 PM

Thanks, Jude. That definitely is a possibility here. I'll go for it.

John

oups.com...

chembake 07-10-2005 09:42 PM

JMF, please, tell me where in Italy I can ask for glucose, in supermarket
or...? In farmacy I didn=B4t find (in Triestte)...

Try asking the storekeeper of groceries and food stores for
GLUCOSIO....they should know it as its Italiangrin.

stiko 08-10-2005 07:38 AM

Hi

Try the baking section in the supermarket (flour, yeast etc). It should be
there...I'd think

"Bonzy"
"JMF" wrote in message
Thanks, Jude. That definitely is a possibility here. I'll go for it.

John

oups.com...