Vox Humana

Default bread too dense

"judith" > wrote in message
om...
> WHat could be the reasons for my bread to be too dense? It tastes like
> it contains too much flour, although I used the amount the recipe
> called for. Is it a problem that I didn't sift the flour? I used
> regular nonbleached flour to make the bread.
>
> Could it be that I kneaded the bread too much?
>
> Judith

The amount of flour in a bread recipe should be considered a general
recommendation. You should only use enough to achieve a workable dough.
Less is better than too much. Sticky is better than dry. Your bread might
be under proofed or under baked also.

Kenneth

On 5 Apr 2004 20:15:19 -0700, (judith) wrote:

>WHat could be the reasons for my bread to be too dense? It tastes like
>it contains too much flour, although I used the amount the recipe
>called for. Is it a problem that I didn't sift the flour? I used
>regular nonbleached flour to make the bread.
>
>Could it be that I kneaded the bread too much?
>
>Judith

Hi Judith,

Others have given you great tips, but here is another thought...

It sounds to me as if the loaf did not rise sufficiently.

That said, there are a ton of variables that affect the results when
baking. The amount of flour, the amount of liquids, the amount of
yeast, the degree of kneading, the temperature of the ingredients, the
temperature of the surroundings, and more, all matter.

Many recipes specify the amount of rise by describing an appropriate
amount of time. ("Knead the dough, form the loaf, and allow it to rise
for two hours...") But that approach makes things difficult unless one
knows the impact of all the other variables.

I find it best to allow the dough to rise to a specific increase in
volume ("Form the loaf and allow it to rise until doubled in
volume...") rather than by the clock.

But even that simple matter has a hitch because evaluating the
increase in volume is extremely difficult when we are looking at
typical loaf shapes.

And so, this suggestion:

Get some sort of small, clear, cylindrical plastic container (a pill
bottle might work well.) Be sure that it is a cylinder, that is, that
the sides are parallel.

When you have kneaded your dough next time, tear off a lump about
large enough to fill 1/4 of the plastic bottle. Toss it in, and tamp
it down gently. Mark the top line of the dough in the bottle (a rubber
band, or piece of tape works well.)

Then, form your loaf in any way you choose.

Put the loaf and the bottle in the same location and allow them both
to rise. Try to ignore the increase in volume of the loaf (remember
that it is extremely tough to estimate accurately) but focus on the
rise of the dough in the bottle. It will tell you very clearly when it
has doubled, or tripled. It will be rather like reading a
thermometer...

Again, different breads want different volumes, but try to triple the
loaf volume and I'd bet that it won't be dense...

I hope that this is useful, and wish you the best with your baking,

--
Kenneth

Vox Humana

"Kenneth" > wrote in message
> On 5 Apr 2004 20:15:19 -0700, (judith) wrote:
>
> >WHat could be the reasons for my bread to be too dense? It tastes like
> >it contains too much flour, although I used the amount the recipe
> >called for. Is it a problem that I didn't sift the flour? I used
> >regular nonbleached flour to make the bread.
> >
> >Could it be that I kneaded the bread too much?
> >
> >Judith

> Hi Judith,
>
> Others have given you great tips, but here is another thought...
>
> It sounds to me as if the loaf did not rise sufficiently.
>
> That said, there are a ton of variables that affect the results when
> baking. The amount of flour, the amount of liquids, the amount of
> yeast, the degree of kneading, the temperature of the ingredients, the
> temperature of the surroundings, and more, all matter.
>
> Many recipes specify the amount of rise by describing an appropriate
> amount of time. ("Knead the dough, form the loaf, and allow it to rise
> for two hours...") But that approach makes things difficult unless one
> knows the impact of all the other variables.
>
> I find it best to allow the dough to rise to a specific increase in
> volume ("Form the loaf and allow it to rise until doubled in
> volume...") rather than by the clock.
>
> But even that simple matter has a hitch because evaluating the
> increase in volume is extremely difficult when we are looking at
> typical loaf shapes.
>
> And so, this suggestion:
>
> Get some sort of small, clear, cylindrical plastic container (a pill
> bottle might work well.) Be sure that it is a cylinder, that is, that
> the sides are parallel.
>
> When you have kneaded your dough next time, tear off a lump about
> large enough to fill 1/4 of the plastic bottle. Toss it in, and tamp
> it down gently. Mark the top line of the dough in the bottle (a rubber
> band, or piece of tape works well.)
>
> Then, form your loaf in any way you choose.
>
> Put the loaf and the bottle in the same location and allow them both
> to rise. Try to ignore the increase in volume of the loaf (remember
> that it is extremely tough to estimate accurately) but focus on the
> rise of the dough in the bottle. It will tell you very clearly when it
> has doubled, or tripled. It will be rather like reading a
> thermometer...
>
> Again, different breads want different volumes, but try to triple the
> loaf volume and I'd bet that it won't be dense...
>
> I hope that this is useful, and wish you the best with your baking,

Or, you can simply press a finger into the risen loaf. If it is fully
risen, it will not spring back.

Kenneth

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 20:54:40 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>Or, you can simply press a finger into the risen loaf. If it is fully
>risen, it will not spring back.

Howdy,

That presents the issue as a dichotomy: Either it is ready, or it is
not.

I was trying to suggest that rising is a continuum...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Pennyaline

"Kenneth" wrote:
>"Vox" wrote:
> >Or, you can simply press a finger into the risen loaf. If it is fully
> >risen, it will not spring back.

> Howdy,
>
> That presents the issue as a dichotomy: Either it is ready, or it is
> not.
>
> I was trying to suggest that rising is a continuum...

Please don't take this personally: keep it simple, stupid.

For the purposes of the original poster, there are only two actions to take.
If the impression remains, it is fully risen and ready for baking. If
anything else happens, let it rise (slowly) some more.

Kenneth

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 18:20:32 -0600, "Pennyaline"
> wrote:

>"Kenneth" wrote:
>>"Vox" wrote:
>> >Or, you can simply press a finger into the risen loaf. If it is fully
>> >risen, it will not spring back.

>> Howdy,
>>
>> That presents the issue as a dichotomy: Either it is ready, or it is
>> not.
>>
>> I was trying to suggest that rising is a continuum...

>Please don't take this personally: keep it simple, stupid.
>
>For the purposes of the original poster, there are only two actions to take.
>If the impression remains, it is fully risen and ready for baking. If
>anything else happens, let it rise (slowly) some more.

Howdy,

Please don't take this personally... <g>

We disagree on the best way to describe this to a beginner.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Tashi_Aunt

Check the experation date on the yeast packet, then, bloom the yeast
in a quarter cup of warm water before you use it. To do this, put a
quarter cup of warm water into a small bowl and stir in the yeast. If
the yeast is good, it will start growing in about 10 minutes. If the
yeast doesn't do anything, you need to get new yeast. Also, was your
bread dough hydrated enough. Wetter is better. If the dough is too
dry, it will not rise properly.