Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default One damn dense bean

Or is it that the skins do not readily loosen and inflate with air while
cooking?

Whatever. I jes put on a pot of baby dried lima beans and, unlike
most other dried beans put into a rolling boil of water, they are
reluctant to float and bounce off the bottom with the return of the
rolling boil. It's IS occurring, but slowly.

Anyway, I got my beans started, but what to do with them? I gotta ham
shank and some onion and andouille sausage. Gotta lrg can of cut
tomatoes. I'm torn between cooking them like I usually do butter
beans and jes going crazy and adding all kindsa nonsense to make' 'em
come out mostly Cajun-y, with Tony's spice and all that, but got no
bell pepper. Hmmm...

Any suggestions? It'll be three hrs cooking time, so no hurry.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Jun 2013 12:33:54 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Or is it that the skins do not readily loosen and inflate with air while
>cooking?
>
>Whatever. I jes put on a pot of baby dried lima beans and, unlike
>most other dried beans put into a rolling boil of water, they are
>reluctant to float and bounce off the bottom with the return of the
>rolling boil. It's IS occurring, but slowly.
>
>Anyway, I got my beans started, but what to do with them? I gotta ham
>shank and some onion and andouille sausage. Gotta lrg can of cut
>tomatoes. I'm torn between cooking them like I usually do butter
>beans and jes going crazy and adding all kindsa nonsense to make' 'em
>come out mostly Cajun-y, with Tony's spice and all that, but got no
>bell pepper. Hmmm...
>
>Any suggestions? It'll be three hrs cooking time, so no hurry.
>
>nb

Cook until near tender. Remove from pot and place beans with chopped
onion in a flat pan and whatever seasonings. Cover with strips of raw
bacon and put in oven until beans are tender and a bit dry and bacon
is done and a bit crispy. Eat as is or, best of all, spread on
buttered bread and sprinkle a bit of vinegar on top for a sandwich.
Sandwich is good cold.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-06-19, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> Cook until near tender. Remove from pot and place beans with chopped
> onion in a flat pan and whatever seasonings. Cover with strips of raw
> bacon and put in oven until beans are tender and a bit dry and bacon
> is done and a bit crispy. Eat as is or, best of all, spread on
> buttered bread and sprinkle a bit of vinegar on top for a sandwich.
> Sandwich is good cold.
> Janet US

Hmmm.... very interesting. I would think that to be a very Euro way
to do beans, the beans on bread a UK thing. I think I will pass, but
it sounds like something to try this Winter when I can afford to heat
the house up with all those heat sources brought into play. I'm gonna
save this one. Thnx.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-06-19, l not -l > wrote:

> limas and bake for 45 minutes - a few crushed potato chips (or French's
> French Fried Onions).........

DOH!!

I could almost go along with the potato chips, but one you get a
demerit on yer culianary creds card for the FFFOs. bleah....

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-06-19, notbob > wrote:

> Any suggestions? It'll be three hrs cooking time, so no hurry.

Whoa! Four and one half hours!! That's from first boil to finished
with a lovely bean cream. I guess they ARE one tough bean. I jes did
the butterbean thing. A med onion, whole lotta garlic, meat, and some
S&P. Came out excellent. I'm glad I didn't mess it up with tomatoes
and Cajun spices, etc. BTW, if there's any flavor difference between
these dried baby limas and big dried limas, it's too suble for me to
detect.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:43:45 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> Well, I personally don't use either on top; but, some people like such
> things atop casseroles.

My son requires it on top of the holiday green bean casserole. I
didn't make mine with onion rings, so he must have had it that way
over at a friend's house. So, now I top half the casserole with those
onion rings and the other half with buttered bread crumbs as usual.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/19/2013 1:25 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:43:45 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>
>> Well, I personally don't use either on top; but, some people like such
>> things atop casseroles.

> My son requires it on top of the holiday green bean casserole. I
> didn't make mine with onion rings, so he must have had it that way
> over at a friend's house. So, now I top half the casserole with those
> onion rings and the other half with buttered bread crumbs as usual.

Just a thought, given the recent shallot talk, what about flour dusting
and crispy frying some shallots next time?

He might like them, and maybe you would too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:53:55 -0600, casa bona > wrote:

> On 6/19/2013 1:25 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:43:45 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
> >
> >> Well, I personally don't use either on top; but, some people like such
> >> things atop casseroles.

> > My son requires it on top of the holiday green bean casserole. I
> > didn't make mine with onion rings, so he must have had it that way
> > over at a friend's house. So, now I top half the casserole with those
> > onion rings and the other half with buttered bread crumbs as usual.
> >

> Just a thought, given the recent shallot talk, what about flour dusting
> and crispy frying some shallots next time?
>
> He might like them, and maybe you would too.

Sounds good! Who's going to fry the shallots?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/19/2013 2:10 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:53:55 -0600, casa bona > wrote:

>>> My son requires it on top of the holiday green bean casserole. I
>>> didn't make mine with onion rings, so he must have had it that way
>>> over at a friend's house. So, now I top half the casserole with those
>>> onion rings and the other half with buttered bread crumbs as usual.
>>>

>> Just a thought, given the recent shallot talk, what about flour dusting
>> and crispy frying some shallots next time?
>>
>> He might like them, and maybe you would too.

> Sounds good! Who's going to fry the shallots?

Lol, I think you're the most likely candidate for that task ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/19/2013 2:14 PM, casa bona wrote:
> On 6/19/2013 2:10 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Just a thought, given the recent shallot talk, what about flour dusting
>>> and crispy frying some shallots next time?
>>>
>>> He might like them, and maybe you would too.

>> Sounds good! Who's going to fry the shallots?
>>

> Lol, I think you're the most likely candidate for that task ;-)

And don't they look tasty?

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/golde...s-22731266.jpg

http://low-cholesterol.food.com/reci...hallots-108334

1
Heat the oil to 360°F.
2
Separate the shallot slices into rings and place them in a medium bowl.
3
Make certain the shallots are not moist, since otherwise they may
splatter when they go into the oil.
4
Sprinkle flour over the shallots and toss them lightly to coat evenly.
5
Working with a small quantity, sprinkle the shallots over the oil and
stir gently to keep them separated.
6
Fry until golden brown, about 12-14 minutes.
7
Remove with a slotted spoon, then put on paper towels to drain the oil.
8
Sprinkle with salt while still warm.
9
Continue frying the rest of the shallots, salting each batch while it is
still warm.

But I want DENSE dumplins! levelwave General Cooking 22 30-01-2008 04:16 AM
'Dense' Bread - Or Is It Me?! I Knead the Dough Baking 18 20-09-2005 07:51 PM
'Dense' Bread - Or Is It Me?! I Knead the Dough General Cooking 18 20-09-2005 07:51 PM
bread too dense judith Baking 2 17-04-2004 06:42 PM
bread too dense Vox Humana Baking 6 07-04-2004 04:00 PM